The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Computer denouncers: What’s been your actual experience?
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
King Korg
I have the Electribe 2 sampler, which comes with a very cutdown version of the King Korg engine and I really like it's core sound. I've been considering supplementing it with the plain blue Electribe 2 synth in order to get all of the filters and base waves. It's still single layer vs the King's dual (or more?) layers, but I think it comes with more effects and pretty much the same rich supply of waves. It's been awhile since I compared the specs.

There's a YouTuber that basically does ambient/cinematic style pieces with the E2 and they sound fantastic if you want to have a listen. His nick is "r beny".

Considering how cheap these guys are secondhand, you might consider one.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
I have the Electribe 2 sampler, which comes with a very cutdown version of the King Korg engine and I really like it's core sound. I've been considering supplementing it with the plain blue Electribe 2 synth in order to get all of the filters and base waves. It's still single layer vs the King's dual (or more?) layers, but I think it comes with more effects and pretty much the same rich supply of waves. It's been awhile since I compared the specs.

There's a YouTuber that basically does ambient/cinematic style pieces with the E2 and they sound fantastic if you want to have a listen. His nick is "r beny".

Considering how cheap these guys are secondhand, you might consider one.
Yes, I’ve seen R Beny’s videos, very nice music I dig the peaceful cinematic style. Those electribes a pretty cool instruments too.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
I wish Korg had taken more advantage of the possibilities of the Kronos and completely overhauled their rather random and fiddly UI and updated it. It could have become a total powerhouse of ease of programmability. Despite my dislike of Kurzweil's plain and uninspired looking UI, I vastly (pun intended!) prefer it to Korg's and Roland's offerings. However, I guess every user had their own idea of ease-of-use and logical arrangement when it comes to UIs.
I couldn’t agree more. While UI design is difficult and time-consuming work, it’s also an absolutely invaluable part of making your product approachable and pleasant to use. Kurzweil’s design was very progressive in the 90’s so it’s a real testament that with minimal changes it’s still viable today. Still, it could also use a significant overhaul to make the complexity of VAST more usable for most people.

I had hopes for Yamaha’s Montage but I found it frustratingly slow to get around.

Quote:
As for the "nontrivial overlap" between cards and cell phones, a 2.5l engine is a bit overkill for keeping your cell phone charged, don't you think?
Hah! My car in particular is entirely battery driven so it’s even less divergent. Still, I’d have to admit the 85kWh battery might seem like overkill at first. It’s just that it’s built into a case that is capable of drawing 320kW when floored...
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncarnateX View Post
Lets try with a simple syllogism:

1. Premise: My synth is driven by a computer
2. Premise: My PC is a computer

Conclusion: Therefore my synth is a PC.

Anyone solved this yet? No? Well, here is the solution then:

Ravingly false. Non valid. Rubbish. Even if we change the first premise from "my X is driven by Y" to "my X is Y". Let me illustrate:

My banana is a fruit
My apple is a fruit

The only way the first syllogism could retain a valid form would be to introduce false premises:

1. My synth is a computer (true in the particular case but not always)
2. A computer is ALWAYS a home PC (false)

Sorry anti-anti-software guys, hardware phobes, knob-rejecters and oak-side haters but some of you have a really long way to go to even be remotely convincing. Best of luck
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

This week, on Syllogism Slutz... ^
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
This week, on Syllogism Slutz... ^
Silly jism?
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Silly jism?
Name of her sex tape?
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
... Sorry anti-anti-software guys, hardware phobes, knob-rejecters and oak-side haters but some of you have a really long way to go to even be remotely convincing. Best of luck
i don't think i've ever actually "reported" anyone before, but you really need to go.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i don't think i've ever actually "reported" anyone before, but you really need to go.
Where is your sense of humor and why do you take a silly thread like this so seriously? You think that "computer denouncers" is better and a lesser patronizing expression? That is kind of biased paranoia isn't it? Do you see me write something mean about anyone in particular here? I have written two times to you now that I am kidding around, and you just won't let it compute. Why is that? How am I offending you so much? By taking a stand different from your own? You feel I am addressing you in particular?

Good luck with the report. According to sayings three is a lucky number, so here is the overall message for the third time.

Quote:
The real question to be asked is: Who gives a sht about what people prefer and for what reasons if they feel good about it? I mean; what asshole would really like to mess up that, illusion or not? Not me, rly, I am just kidding around what I find threads like this good for only.
Now if anyone wants to hang me for this, go ahead, for I stand by it in concrete.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

While I wait for my execution for providing logical proof for the fact that the Earth is round and not flat, lets have a (pseudo) philosophical discussion about the musical ethics of the "I want to save you from your irrational self"- approach, like this thread favors. I think a thought experiment will be the best approach:

So you hear this wonderful music by an unknown artist. You contact him and say: "Wow, this is really interesting music, where do you find your inspiration?" He says "it is really a matter of placing your studio in the right cross-fields of Earth beams, then it will just flow to you".

Now what do you do?

1. Nod and pretend (or agree) this is a perfectly valid explanation and start talking about something else?
2. Start arguing with him about the existence of Earth beams?
3. Ask him to tell more about how these beams inspire him?
4. Nothing?
5. Other?

What is your choice?

Now, I will add a second circumstance to this. You find out that he actually goes to music forums on the internet and writes endlessly about how the Earth beams inspire him, and of course people reject and argue, make fun of him and occasionally insult him. Now what do you do?

1. You defend him on the net against the mob?
2. You join the mob and ask him to stop spreading misinfo about studio techs?
3. You try to get him off the net and explain to him that Earth Beams may not be for the uninitiated, so he better stay low about it?
4. Nothing?
5. Other?

I cannot provide the answers that is right for you particularly, your ethics, but I can tell as much that I am pretty sure of my own, and it would not be comparable or compatible to the quest of this thread.
Old 8th August 2019
Well computers add a lot of little extra steps. Yesterday I taught my son how to record his AN1x playing onto the Akai DR4d. I showed him to push the 2 buttons to arm the tracks and hit play/record buttons. Four buttons to push and no screen. I like gadgets that are simple. As soon as I have to stare at a screen, click on a tiny arm track button, and click on the play/record button I've already distracted myself. It's not clear how to explain it, and then I'm worried about the levels as I'm recording and if I'm playing too hard on the keyboard to create clipping. Sometimes my sounds are louder (especially on the high notes) based on velocity and clipping quickly deteriorates the sound when it goes through an audio interface but my antique rack recorder handles it nicely.

A computer = separate components interconnected which includes a extremely large screen to stare at. With more than what you need to see.

A synth = one piece of hardware with very limited screen designed to complement (and not overcomplicate) what you need to do.

I'm worried about the trends to designing everything with increasingly large screens nowadays (cars, gas pumps, synths?). The allure of those old vintage cars is that they keep it simple and fun. Why does everyone need to overcomplicate everything? As things get more complex we stop being the fun spontaneous simple people and have to analyze everything to death. In short we become like computers ready to analyze/assess (think) the next complicated thing and be less inclined to simply live for emotions and experience. A synth is less of a mental experience (as it should be), a computer is very mental - for this reason every time my sister (IT tech guru) visits my mom she has to spend time on her computer doing repairs, tweaks, and other maintenance and you don't have to do all that insanity on a synth thank God.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Jeez. From trying to report my own posts, it seems that "somebody" has reported every second post I made in this thread, even completely harmless ones.

Oh dear. What a petty and pathetic fanboish behavior. How about arguing your case instead of using the "dictator approach" to opponents? You want to eliminate my freedom of speech because you do not like my opinion? Unbelievable. Do my opinions hurt that much? Have I made somebody cry here? Well, in that case, it was not my intention but I presumed I was writing for adults that could take a little resistance. Was I that wrong? If so, cry me a river and go grow up.

Edit: Hopefully you are at least smart enough to know that the aforementioned syllogism will not turn valid even if I get banned from this thread, right? ….right? .....….right?...or...?
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
Jeez. From trying to report my own posts, it seems that "somebody" has reported every second post I made in this thread, even completely harmless ones.

Oh dear. What a petty and pathetic fanboish behavior. How about arguing your case instead of using the "dictator approach" to opponents? You want to eliminate my freedom of speech because you do not like my opinion? Unbelievable. Do my opinions hurt that much? Have I made somebody cry here? Well, in that case, it was not my intention but I presumed I was writing for adults that could take a little resistance. Was I that wrong? If so, cry me a river and go grow up.
I don't report your posts, they made me laugh. I "get" your sense of humour and opinions never hurt. Or should not at least. This is just a thread to shoot the breeze, not each other
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geob View Post
I don't report your posts, they made me laugh. I "get" your sense of humour and opinions never hurt. Or should not at least. This is just a thread to shoot the breeze, not each other
Thanks, mate. Glad to meet a surface Earthling. Have met enough creepy Hollow-Earthers already.
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
Thanks, mate. Glad to meet a surface Earthling. Have met enough creepy Hollow-Earthers already.
Again just shooting into the breeze. We are all made from the same clay. I've never met a hollow earther yet, but I guess they're out there. My son is a flat earther and that's ok (until global warming melts the ice walls holding in the ocean around the side of the "earth coin").
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Deleted: Point already illustrated and recognized by mod

Last edited by IncarnateX; 9th August 2019 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Morning Clean Up
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Last edited by IncarnateX; 9th August 2019 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Morning Clean Up
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Last edited by IncarnateX; 9th August 2019 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Morning Clean Up
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Last edited by IncarnateX; 9th August 2019 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Morning Clean Up
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Deleted: Wrong suspect

Last edited by IncarnateX; 9th August 2019 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Morning clean up
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Last edited by IncarnateX; 9th August 2019 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Morning clean up
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Dude, what's up with the Shakespearean soliloquy you're trying to perpetrate?
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude, what's up with the Shakespearean soliloquy you're trying to perpetrate?
Oh, poor 486 based PC! I used to know it, Horatio

A very funny machine, but with solid hardware.

I carried it on my back a thousand times because the laptop had not yet been developed.

I don’t know how many times I rebooted it when it crashed. Where are your blue screens now? Your “files not found” Your “IRQ conflicts” ?

Your crashes of unsaved files used to set the whole band yelling at me?

You don’t make anybody smile now.

You need to go to my lady’s room and tell her that no matter how much makeup she slathers on, she’ll end up just like you some day, with an under-powered processor and insufficient memory.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Deleted: Not significant

Last edited by IncarnateX; 9th August 2019 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: Morning clean up
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I do not really understand your question, dudella. What's up with you and unfinished sentences? You still haven't told me what it was that would never change and why it should/shouldn't in the first place, remember:

So, if you give me some more clues to make sense of your posts, I may understand wtf you are at in the first place and be able to answer your question.

Wouldn't that just be a great deal, "friend"?
Wow, it's that unclear?

In any case, no disrespect, I'd rather not explain, because you'll just go off, as in on and on, which I'd rather not engage in...it's kinda exhausting, for something so trivial.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Deleted: Wrong suspect

Last edited by IncarnateX; 9th August 2019 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Morning clean up
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, it's that unclear?

In any case, no disrespect, I'd rather not explain, because you'll just go off, as in on and on, which I'd rather not engage in...it's kinda exhausting, for something so trivial.
Sorry, I still don’t understand what you are on about, and it does not seem significant to me either, so lets just leave at that. I have no interest in this “conversation”, okay?
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Counter reported for abuse of report option for the purpose of personal herrasment.
the only post i reported was the one i quoted previously. i figured that would be enough, seems someone else really has it out for you.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
Oh, poor 486 based PC! I used to know it, Horatio

A very funny machine, but with solid hardware.

I carried it on my back a thousand times because the laptop had not yet been developed.

I don’t know how many times I rebooted it when it crashed. Where are your blue screens now? Your “files not found” Your “IRQ conflicts” ?

Your crashes of unsaved files used to set the whole band yelling at me?

You don’t make anybody smile now.

You need to go to my lady’s room and tell her that no matter how much makeup she slathers on, she’ll end up just like you some day, with an under-powered processor and insufficient memory.
Methinks thou doth protest too much
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
the only post i reported was the one i quoted previously. i figured that would be enough, seems someone else really has it out for you.
Oh rly? Now that does surprise me, since a deal of the posts concerned my answers to you. Well, let the mods figure it out because insane herassment it is.

Now, obviously the fun is over, and I better leave you sensitive beings to your first world problems and very important mission. So I will simply split to ease your sufferings. You see, at the end of the day, I am a happy person who knows how to stay happy and do not have to glue myself to places that only offer sadness for whatever screwed reasons.

I think a little farewell tune should fit the departure:

Bye, bye sweethearts and get them computer denouncers, a danger to human civilization
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search