The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
mekanik does amsterdam
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
You need to come visit the west coast. Out here all that stuff is mid shelf strains. These days for top shelf and exotics, it's all about the dozens of OGs (Ocean grown), the Cookies, and the Glues. Last bud I grabbed was Grape God, a cross between Grape Ape, and Gods Gift - 29.4 percent thc, smelled like grape koolaid and was so purple it was almost black.

But honestly these days, it's all about the concentrates for me.
It's true. Barneys and most of those old strains are, well, so old and passe now, at least around here. I haven't even seen any WW in 8yrs or so. CA and CO have been straight crushing it for years now.

We don't mess with much beyond custom exotics most of the time now anyway, or the occasional trendy one sweeping through the scene (like The White or GG4 or Cookies some years back).

I do have one friend who holds onto a few classics, NL4, Destroyer, etc., and they're fantastic, but I must have tried at least a couple of hundred different strains by now, it's made me hella snobby.

I just quit holding onto an amazing expression of Thin Mints (cookies) two years ago. Incredible flavor and feel, but a finicky bastard that was a low yielder so I finally got bored with it / tired of it.

We (the US) thank Amsterdam and Barneys and the rest for their efforts in years past, but no one I know has needed or been very interested in their wares for years now. We've well outpaced them.

Old 29th July 2019
Hey @ mekanik nice review! You're the expert there obviously. It was super nice meeting you in Utrecht, one of the best days of summer.
We can meet up with Mushy Mushy next time. We can go to DB's or BBQ at the lake in Maarssen. And smoke some of that grass.
Also, if ppl. want to go to the Netherlands, check out The Hague as well, it's got a few nice extras (the beach) and it less tourist-y than Amsterdam.
And yeah I do like Utrecht. It's next to impossible to rent studio space here, that's about the only bad thing.

Oh one thing, could you take any nice pictures?
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
I disagree, completely! west coast =hot air!
I've smoked the best on offer in A'dam, Vancouver, Montreal, Colorado, and Washington. I've blazed on the beaches of Jamaica and Hawaii.

Nobody grows better dope than Californians.

Nobody.

But I'm willing to smoke anybody's **** to verify that fact, so....
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've smoked the best on offer in A'dam, Vancouver, Montreal, Colorado, and Washington. I've blazed on the beaches of Jamaica and Hawaii.

Nobody.

It's like deja vu.

I can't begin to count how many times I've witnessed fans and growers from each place feel and say the same about their place.

Truth is - there are mega talented growers in all of those spots, and genetics are genetics. Genetics are nearly everything, anyway.

And it's alot like debating which classic analog Oscillator is the best. And there's no real objective measure, as it's about more than THC content.

Weedslutz?
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just quit holding onto an amazing expression of Thin Mints (cookies) two years ago. Incredible flavor and feel, but a finicky bastard that was a low yielder so I finally got bored with it / tired of it.
I was running my own grow for 4 years with Trainwreck, Skywalker, and GDP going, but it was just too high maintenance without a bigger space, and it was costing me as much in power as it does just buying it- then I' not stuck with the same strain for huge lengths of time.

But as I said, these days, I'm all about the dabs.

Today I'm enjoying a Snozzbery and a Lemon OG live resin budder.

The snozzberry tastes like snozzberry...
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Cool.

I do enjoy Skywalker. It was all the rage in Boulder about 8-10yrs ago, and one of my ex GFs won't hardly mess with anything but Trainwreck and Alaskan ThunderF...

Growing is like anything else, a lot harder than most think... Anyone can "grow some weed", it's a weed afterall, but a tiny fraction of all "growers" can consistently yield quantities of top quality.

I'm a cork sniffing nerdy hobbyist in a legal state, friends with numerous old heads and pros on the legal and other side. The best explanation I've ever heard is that it's most like trying to grow championship roses, rather than something like getting some decent to good tomatoes...

I've not had a problem with the cost issue, other than the delay of having to pay for power all cycle long before maybe getting some of it back later. I definitely save. Once, just from my trim and misc bits in jars, my friend turned that into wax and it lasted me an entire year, from my scraps...

Pardon the drift.
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pre-rolled joints... come on,that is lazy and asking to be ripped off. Anyway, get a vaporizer to experience the next level of herbal delights and avoid lung cancer.
For over a decade i smoked everyday weed and resin to where it was just the norm, it was just way of life and I assumed I’d always do it but then I did realise I was getting paranoid about things that didn’t used to phase me and it was effecting my job to the stage I had a choice of my job or the weed and I chose the job.

Nowadays I’ve not been a user for over 15 years however if I go to Amsterdam my motto is “When in Rome......”

When Im there I have no idea how much I’m going to smoke or what effect it’s going to have on me so pre-rolled are perfect for me and the thought of I maybe getting ripped off doesn’t enter my head because I don’t live in that world anymore.
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
For over a decade i smoked everyday weed and resin to where it was just the norm, it was just way of life and I assumed I’d always do it but then I did realise I was getting paranoid about things that didn’t used to phase me and it was effecting my job to the stage I had a choice of my job or the weed and I chose the job.

Nowadays I’ve not been a user for over 15 years however if I go to Amsterdam my motto is “When in Rome......”

When Im there I have no idea how much I’m going to smoke or what effect it’s going to have on me so pre-rolled are perfect for me and the thought of I maybe getting ripped off doesn’t enter my head because I don’t live in that world anymore.
I love herb. I say that as an admission, and a sincere sentiment. It's f--king awesome, this plant. It's something I have now enjoyed on and off for 35yrs (it sounds wild to say aloud).

But I don't smoke/etc before or during any nornal day job, that's not what they're paying me for, and I take great care to not overdo it to the point of it being detrimental or no longer fun. Indo it in my own time, usually at home or a show or something, like a non alcoholic enjoys a beer or two most days.

I'm lucky in that I am not wired for addiction, not in any real sense. Whiskey, Poker, Weed, Sid, Molly, Boomers, whatever, I have always self moderated these things very well (those things, at least), and for years now I only mess with herb and the occasional whiskey/wine/etc. I skip days, sometimes weeks, occasionally a month or so, and once way back I didn't smoke for 4yrs.

But it took 20+yrs to realize I wasn't addiction prone, not in these things, by watching many I know slide the other way, and it wasn't until a very close friend said to me (while in his 3rd trip to rehab) that he'd never once seen me lose control or act addict-y. It's so lucky, really. I certainly have my owm demons... they just aren't weed, whiskey, women, or poker.

Fun aside - I promote responsible use by consenting adults. Excess is rarely a good thing.

Unless it's gear.

Cheers.
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
That's so silly. Pre-rolls are hella convenient when you're oot and aboot. More a spontaneous solution than anything, in my, ahem, experience.
They give big Marley freebies away with every in store (legal here) purchase. I’m always happy to accept. Sometimes like 5 or 6. Comes out to about an 1/8 oz. Mistery weed and potent stuff. Usually the shake leftover from top shelf stuff they couldn’t sell. Like playing Russian roulette on a Saturday night!
Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's so silly. Pre-rolls are hella convenient when you're oot and aboot. More a spontaneous solution than anything, in my, ahem, experience.
Nah, jeez, I'm with the for noobs and tourists guy, let alone that Dutch cannabis laws are a super-grey area; I was standing outside a coffee shop when delivery of product was being made and it wasn't by the local friendly postman. You really think that a pre-rolled joint is coming out of a happy factory of indolent Dutchie tokers?
Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
Nah, jeez, I'm with the for noobs and tourists guy, let alone that Dutch cannabis laws are a super-grey area; I was standing outside a coffee shop when delivery of product was being made and it wasn't by the local friendly postman. You really think that a pre-rolled joint is coming out of a happy factory of indolent Dutchie tokers?
The pre-rolls I buy, when I occasionally buy them, are outstanding, almost always single strain, mid-to-top shelf, rolled in the back of that or several other dispensaries on a weekly basis.

As for the laws, I don't think I know a single person that ever gave a damn about that.

And I haven't bought mystery-weed in forever. I know exactly what I'm buying 99.99% of the time, including who grew it, where they grew it, what they fed it, and where the genetics came from.

(Doesn't everyone?)

This ain't my first rodeo.

Jeez, indeed.
Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The pre-rolls I buy, when I occasionally buy them, are outstanding, almost always single strain, mid-to-top shelf, rolled in the back of that or several other dispensaries on a weekly basis.

As for the laws, I don't think I know a single person that ever gave a damn about that.

And I haven't bought mystery-weed in forever. I know exactly what I'm buying 99.99% of the time, including who grew it, where they grew it, what they fed it, and where the genetics came from.

(Doesn't everyone?)

This ain't my first rodeo.

Jeez, indeed.
Well, that's nice for you, but that's probably not going to be true for the central Amsterdam places where the vast majority of pre-rolled joints are going to be sold.

Maybe it's just a UK thing, but rolling the joint is part of the point of smoking a joint. YMMV
Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Around here, you have the freebies, usually shake, not that good- House rolls, typically top shelf(which is actually mid shelf now) fluff and small bud - Branded Infused, either strain specific or flavors, with badder or oil, and rolled in kief - and Palm Leaf or Tobacco Blunts. But nobody pre-rolls private reserves, exclusives or exotics.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I’m there right now, don’t know what type of weed that was I had at “Resin coffee shop” yesterday but I couldn’t get in my room using my card it was like cracking a safe whilst my wife kept saying we’ve got the wrong room and shouting all random numbers at me of what room she thought we were stopping in, probably of been a funny sight for any on lookers.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
The short version of just one trip involed a scottish hooker, obtaining an envelope of white powder from her boyfriend later that evening, me thinking it was one thing,.. but it wasn't and the way I found out was by doing a huge wet thumb dab of it into my mouth... << yeah right..

The next 2 to 3 days were,.. how shall I put this.. ?!

abstractly hectic ..

If anyone has ever tried to reconcile a weekend away to another country trying to make their way back from Holland to the UK through customs, catching ferry's and trains busses etc whilst doing probably 50 to 100 times the 'suggested' dose of what was likely a super hallucinogen, possibly DOm or STP or another unidentifiable research chemical,.. then they would know what I went through.

There was a lot of batting away flying dragons and hiding from red eyed matrix style cameras that were simply everywhere I looked, the occaisional asking complete strangers to roll their super long tongues back into their mouths when on the tube, mixed with a bit of semi naked traffic dodging, down Manor park road in the middle of winter...

you get the idea..
hahahahah. good times!

one of my friends told me when he did some dxm or some other similary named stuff and a flying ball of fire was chasing him for 24h. everywhere he went. it was a complete nightmare for him.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is in the wrong forum... and pre-rolled joints are for noobs and tourists

i do pipe usually but but it convenient to do prerolled Js some times. also good qual ww only comes in prerolled Js somehow.. i guess its not a "popular" strain anymore.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You need to come visit the west coast. Out here all that stuff is mid shelf strains. These days for top shelf and exotics, it's all about the dozens of OGs (Ocean grown), the Cookies, and the Glues. Last bud I grabbed was Grape God, a cross between Grape Ape, and Gods Gift - 29.4 percent thc, smelled like grape koolaid and was so purple it was almost black.

But honestly these days, it's all about the concentrates for me.

they had lots of cali/US strains there in the dam. but they were all classed as indica or mostly indica. and i dont do indica.

and also thc% doesn't actually mean anything. imo that is.

i mean many 20% strains are way less potent than 10 and even 5% strains. og haze is only a 10-12% thc strain. and it don't get any more potent than that imo. durban posion is also low thc but very high potency.

they way i think it works is this: the less thc the more terpenes, and the thc might be the enabler of the high but the terpenes is the director and shaper.
and as soon as the enabler has done its thing its up to the shaper/director to do its thing. and this is major active component.

the terpenes are 100% related to the smell. you can actually modify the high with lemon peels and so on. since these contain limonene.

In my experiance the less thc% the more wasted you can get of them. more space for terpenes.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's true. Barneys and most of those old strains are, well, so old and passe now, at least around here. I haven't even seen any WW in 8yrs or so. CA and CO have been straight crushing it for years now.

We don't mess with much beyond custom exotics most of the time now anyway, or the occasional trendy one sweeping through the scene (like The White or GG4 or Cookies some years back).

I do have one friend who holds onto a few classics, NL4, Destroyer, etc., and they're fantastic, but I must have tried at least a couple of hundred different strains by now, it's made me hella snobby.

We (the US) thank Amsterdam and Barneys and the rest for their efforts in years past, but no one I know has needed or been very interested in their wares for years now. We've well outpaced them.

i say the real magic is in the 100% sats.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nobody.

you might be right here, the key word here is UV fukn radiation!!!
thats what creates real potency. that why maountain indian **** is regarded as the best **** all over. it grows over 3-4000m un in the mountains and there the UV is high. very high.

almost all classic strains are from either california, holland and switzerland. its was completely legal in switzerland to grow this maybe 15-20 years ago and much of the actual selection was made then. they had football fields to select from. and they did.

my fav strain, og haze is from california, the mountains supposedly. but it was refined for maybe 10-15 years after it left california. go figure. the real breeding process.

i still think ww is a good strain. maybe even the best because it makes music sound the best and you get the most amount of wasted when listening to it. not all strains does that, and i know its a quite narrow goal but for me its the only goal.

but as with all drugs the different strains are more or less good with different types of music. i mean you dont do xtc and reggae. ymmv that is. and i guess we all know that.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
you might be right here, the key word here is UV fukn radiation!!!
thats what creates real potency. that why maountain indian **** is regarded as the best **** all over. it grows over 3-4000m un in the mountains and there the UV is high. very high.

almost all classic strains are from either california, holland and switzerland. its was completely legal in switzerland to grow this maybe 15-20 years ago and much of the actual selection was made then. they had football fields to select from. and they did.

my fav strain, og haze is from california, the mountains supposedly. but it was refined for maybe 10-15 years after it left california. go figure. the real breeding process.

i still think ww is a good strain. maybe even the best because it makes music sound the best and you get the most amount of wasted when listening to it. not all strains does that, and i know its a quite narrow goal but for me its the only goal.

but as with all drugs the different strains are more or less good with different types of music. i mean you dont do xtc and reggae. ymmv that is. and i guess we all know that.
Since you're into Sativas...

Seek out: Tangerine Haze, big on flavor, and most importantly Destroyer. I don't think there's ever been a Sativa that can F with Destroyer when done right (the name is a stretch, but it's a great, pure, Sativa (Meao Thai x (Mexican Landrace x Colombian Landrace)), by Cannabiogen...
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

I have to look up destroyer. I saw nothing like it in the dam. but they usually do the tried and proven stuff.
those genetics sounds like 3/4 of og haze no wonder it kicks ass
the hazze is thai/some mexican/some indian sativa/colombian red.

saw no tangerine h either this year but i was not in every coffeeshop. but i actally did look at maybe 50 menus on the internet. (coffeeshopmenus site), so i felt very well prepared.

and the actual crosses were something like these. acapulco gold/guerrero x colombian red highland (or lowland)
that cross x thai (some thai)
that cross x indian (kerala maybe, or maybe some northern mountain type)
afaik...

edit: but no one really knows for sure, i think even the breeders themself didn't know for sure what they were growing, and people that grow weed don't have the best "memory capacity" either lol. i wonder why.

i remember having web discussions with one of the involved people (who was on the sideline/periphery) about when/how haze was created. in like 2004.

they simply crossed the best (import-) weed they had the first year (mex x col) then next year that got crossed with thai, and then next year with indian. so its not really a 25% of everything strain afaik (but it could be theoretically if you had a big enough field and did a good selection of course). but it could be whatever really, no one knows.

"purple haze" came out of the first cross. supposedly 25-50% went purple. purple haze only existed for one year. or possibly 2. and its a diluted red (colombian red x acapulco gold). but supposedly the truly good/potent weed was the light green ones. and always was.

now this is not how you actually breed weed really seriously. thats why it took many years to stabilize this thing. maybe 10-15. otherwise you will get 95% whatever and 5% what you really wanted/intended. but no one knew better then, so it was what it was. they just wanted the best weed they could get and it worked for that purpose.

------------

if any one is interested in the story i'm fairly certain its floating around on the weed forums somewhere. most of these get shut down on a regular basis though, and then everything good disappears.

--------------------

here is some info from the interwebs

https://en.seedfinder.eu/strain-info..._or_Legendary/
which turned into
https://en.seedfinder.eu/strain-info...vators_Choice/
then into
https://en.seedfinder.eu/strain-info...ying_Dutchmen/

and if you look at the middle pic of the last link i'd say it was grown under a 600-1kw light because the cola is much much denser than most people will get under a 250 or 400. much...
and it seems like its only one month left there until really done they get quite a bit frostier than this under mh too.

I edited this post... since real facts are sparse regarding the actual strains... and the crosses, and breeding weed is not like mixing lemonade.
Old 2nd August 2019
Lives for gear

barneys had utopia haze. which is not a haze at all. its a brazilian sativa probably not landrace since its a 12w strain. and i got very tempted. but i was stupid and went for the low hanging fruits as always. you live and you learn.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah. It's all interesting stuff.

I'm no seed breeder, myself, but I'm friends with a few, and test strains for them sometimes. It's a lot of work developing quality lines. I have much respect. I have too many other hobbies to bother.

Destroyer is hard to find. It takes a long time to flower (12-142ks), has finicky environmental wants (cycle times and temp/humidity, and it gets tall amd is lanky and the branches need support as they start to bud, so that pretty much rules out thr lazy, the novice, closet grows, low ceiling grows, cash croppers, etc..

Only the nerds who really love the best Sativas bother with it, but it is like nothing else I've seen or tried. I cannot suggest it highly enough.
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear

i bet its good stuff. sounds like a pure sat to me. and totally non economic for the cash cropper.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search