The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Who listens to such music?
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Who listens to such music?

I don't understand how "music" like this sells as music. This is not music, and this are not lyrics, this is utter garbage and I don't know one person that likes this specific song. Who pays for this garbage to create an entire animation around it? Who are this 135 million people that listen to this or is it more like youtube editors writing down whatever figure they might think of? Is this Lil Dickie wannabe artist singing this song to any audience anywhere? What is going on with the world(and to be more exact with the online world)? And the sad part is that youtube is full of similar garbage with tons of views(at least that's what youtube is trying to imply). Nothing makes sense. The online social-media looks severely screwed in 2019. It needs a reset from somewhere, this mess can't go on.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 11th June 2019 at 10:20 AM..
Old 11th June 2019
I think it’s meant to be parody - the Weird Al Yankovich of his generation.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Parody? Did you have fun listenining to this? Did you enjoy this humorous act?

"Parody: an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect."

Ok, perhaps it is a parody, let's look a bit on some of the lyrics, if that's ok:

"Hi, I'm a baboon
I'm like a man, just less advanced and my anus is huge"

"I'm a lion cub, and I'm always getting licked (Meow!)"

"I'm a fat, ****ing pig"

"We forgive you, Germany" (what? makes no sense, we talk about fat pigs and baboons with huge anuses, and now we ... forgive Germany? Man, I'm starting to laugh now, that's for sure)

"Give each other names like Ahmed and Pedro"(I guess we're all born in South America and Middle East according to the writter)
"And, yeah, we like to wear clothes, girls still look beautiful
And it covers up our human dick (Woo)" (I had no idea that man wear clothes to cover their dicks, beautiful)

"Fellas, don't you love to cum when you have sex? (Ayy)
And I heard women orgasms are better than a dick's (Uh)" (what? the stupidity and the vulgarity are through the roof by now)

So, yes, this is beautiful, so poetic, so well put together, so many inspired jokes, so subtle in the same time, absolutely fascinating. Come on, this is not even garbage, but something much more terrible, foul-smelling that makes you throw-up. I felt that right from the beginning, and again, I don't know one person that finds this song comical, educational, musical or entertaining, yet it has a zillion views, according to youtube. Makes no sense.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Guru

Follow America politics for a week and then tell me it makes no sense...
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Follow America politics for a week and then tell me it makes no sense...
Well, we all know that politics are messy all over the world, but it would be nice if music and entertainment, generally speaking, had been spared from 3rd party interferences.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

He's a novelty rapper, a genre that intentionally pokes fun at itself. Since hip hop lyrics tend get so clever with intricate wordplay, its a bit of a "less is more" type thing in its "dumb is clever" approach. The dumb-as-nails lines are thus funny in the greater cultural context of hip hop, to those tuned into that stuff: https://us.napster.com/genre/rap-hip...ty-rap-hip-hop

The song is a collaboration with the Leonardo DiCaprio foundation to raise awareness of climate change, released as part of "Earth Day" in April, and donates all profits to charity. It features 30 or so A-list names. Something like a "We Are The World" but funny and in line with current meme generation z humor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_(Lil_Dicky_song)
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
The online social-media looks severely screwed in 2019. It needs a reset from somewhere, this mess can't go on.
The pit is bottomless.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, but without that pesky talent baggage.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't understand how "music" like this sells as music. This is not music, and this are not lyrics, this is utter garbage and I don't know one person that likes this specific song. Who pays for this garbage to create an entire animation around it? Who are this 135 million people that listen to this or is it more like youtube editors writing down whatever figure they might think of? Is this Lil Dickie wannabe artist singing this song to any audience anywhere? What is going on with the world(and to be more exact with the online world)? And the sad part is that youtube is full of similar garbage with tons of views(at least that's what youtube is trying to imply). Nothing makes sense. The online social-media looks severely screwed in 2019. It needs a reset from somewhere, this mess can't go on.

Lil Dicky’s all-star charity single ‘Earth’ is finally here and everyone is losing it over the lyrics.

Lil Dicky 'Earth': Every celebrity in the video including Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande

The all-charity single features over 30 celebrities including huge stars such as Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande and Miley Cyrus. Lil Dicky first teased 'Earth' last week and later announced it with Justin in a teaser before opening up about it on Ellen. The song is a charity single created with The Leonardo DiCarprio Foundation to help educate people about climate change and raise money for environmental causes. It also features some of the wildest lyrics ever.

https://www.popbuzz.com/music/news/l...-earth-lyrics/
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Quote:
Yeah, but without that pesky talent baggage.
All these people are on it:

Lil Dicky as Man
Justin Bieber as Baboon
Ariana Grande as Zebra
Halsey as Lion cub
Zac Brown as Cow
Brendon Urie as Pig
Hailee Steinfeld as Mushroom ("Common Fungus")
Wiz Khalifa as Skunk
Snoop Dogg as Marijuana
Kevin Hart as Kanye West
Adam Levine as Vultures
Shawn Mendes as Rhinos
Charlie Puth as Giraffe
Sia as Kangaroo
Miley Cyrus as Elephant
Lil Jon as Clam
Rita Ora as Wolf
Miguel as Squirrel
Katy Perry as Pony
Lil Yachty as HPV
Ed Sheeran as Koala
Meghan Trainor, Joel Embiid, Tory Lanez, John Legend as playback vocalists
PSY, Bad Bunny, Kris Wu as the "We Love the Earth" choir
Backstreet Boys as the Credits
Leonardo DiCaprio as Himself
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post

Lil Dicky as Man
Justin Bieber as Baboon
Ariana Grande as Zebra
Halsey as Lion cub
Zac Brown as Cow
Brendon Urie as Pig
Wiz Khalifa as Skunk
Snoop Dogg as Marijuana
Kevin Hart as Kanye West
Adam Levine as Vultures
Shawn Mendes as Rhinos
Charlie Puth as Giraffe
Sia as Kangaroo
Miley Cyrus as Elephant
Lil Jon as Clam
Rita Ora as Wolf
Miguel as Squirrel
Katy Perry as Pony
Lil Yachty as HPV
Ed Sheeran as Koala
I was only referring to Lil Dicky vs Weird Al...
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, we all know that politics are messy all over the world, but it would be nice if music and entertainment, generally speaking, had been spared from 3rd party interferences.
Art and music is more than entertainment.

I think it's idyllic, even naive to think art won't or can't have a say in politics. Fela, Gil Scott-Heron, Beethoven, Public Enemy, Cornelius Cardew, or Charles Mingus, to name a few that have interspersed it within their music.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Lil Dicky as Man
Justin Bieber as Baboon
Ariana Grande as Zebra
Halsey as Lion cub
Zac Brown as Cow
Brendon Urie as Pig
Wiz Khalifa as Skunk
Snoop Dogg as Marijuana
Kevin Hart as Kanye West
Adam Levine as Vultures
Shawn Mendes as Rhinos
Charlie Puth as Giraffe
Sia as Kangaroo
Miley Cyrus as Elephant
Lil Jon as Clam
Rita Ora as Wolf
Miguel as Squirrel
Katy Perry as Pony
Lil Yachty as HPV
Ed Sheeran as Koala
This truly is a garbage of apocalyptic proportions. Earth is too small to accommodate this amount of garbage. It is not fun, not dramatic, not funny, not optimistic, not pessimistic, not melodic, not inspiring, not making anyone aware of any climate change(including any planet of our solar system), it is pure s*it.

What happened to songs like this, doesn't common sense and decent musical and lyrical writing fancy people in 2019? But again, 135million views...7 million likes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BNoNFKCBI
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post

The song is a charity single created with The Leonardo DiCarprio Foundation to help educate people about climate change and raise money for environmental causes. It also features some of the wildest lyrics ever.
Raise money for environmental causes with garbage thrown in our eyes and ears?
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Raise money for environmental causes with...more garbage?
Dude - it's for charity. C'mon now.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This truly is a garbage of apocalyptic proportions. Earth is too small to accommodate this amount of garbage. It is not fun, not dramatic, not funny, not optimistic, not pessimistic, not melodic, not inspiring, not making anyone aware of any climate change(including any planet of our solar system), it is pure s*it.

What happened to songs like this, doesn't common sense and decent musical and lyrical writing fancy people in 2019? But again, 135million views...7 million likes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BNoNFKCBI
It’s powerful enough to make you feel all these things.

No ones making you listen to it as far as I’m aware, it’s mostly for teens and preteens and those interested in general silliness.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Dude - it's for charity. C'mon now.
That makes it even more disturbing, why would you make song on how "women orgasms are better than a dick's" and how "fellas love to cum when they have sex" if you try to raise money for a green cause? I simply fail to make the connections, indeed everything around this song it's a black hole for me where everything seems to be there, yet nothing can be recognized at all.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s powerful enough to make you feel all these things.

Quote:
No ones making you listen to it as far as I’m aware, it’s mostly for teens and preteens.
Ok, but do teens and preteens like it? (man that would be even worse, I mean, this song is so filthy. I wouldn't want my 14 y.o. daughter to hear "And, yeah, we like to wear clothes, girls still look beautiful", coming to me asking "Dad, do you think I can look more beautiful without clothes?" or "And I heard women orgasms are better than a dick's" to ask me "Dad, I've heard that women orgasms are so much better, do you think I should try some to see if it's true?".)
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

As per GS protocol, why ain't no one bashing the all the blatant autotune going on on this production?
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
That makes it even more disturbing, why would you make song on how "women orgasms are better than a dick's" and how "fellas love to cum when they have sex" if you try to raise money for a green cause? I simply fail to make the connections, indeed everything around this song it's a black hole for me where everything seems to be there, yet nothing can be recognized at all.
If you really want to get donations for a cause you'll target different demographics as well as you can. It's possible that this is a demographic that responds to this content well and then donate (if that's what this is all about) and that they otherwise might not have.

Regardless; I don't think anyone here is going to claim that this is great art or anything, so really we could just let this die instead of steering more traffic towards it which defeats the desire of... well... not having this stuff (and now I'm guilty of this too by bumping the thread)...

Know what I mean?

Count the viewers of this thread and that'll roughly be people that now have seen this video and might not otherwise have.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Ok, but do teens and preteens like it? (man that would be even worse, I mean, this song is so filthy. I wouldn't want my 14 y.o. daughter to hear "And, yeah, we like to wear clothes, girls still look beautiful", coming to me asking "Dad, do you think I can look more beautiful without clothes?" or "And I heard women orgasms are better than a dick's" to ask me "Dad, I've heard that women orgasms are so much better, do you think I should try some to see if it's true?".)
Clean version ():

At the moment of capture: 19,407,788 views vs 138,410,289 views for the uncensored version.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

A ****Pile will always attract flies.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
A ****Pile will always attract flies.
Also javaphiles if it's civet droppings.
Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
Parody? Did you have fun listenining to this? Did you enjoy this humorous act?

"Parody: an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect."

Ok, perhaps it is a parody, let's look a bit on some of the lyrics, if that's ok:

"Hi, I'm a baboon
I'm like a man, just less advanced and my anus is huge"

"I'm a lion cub, and I'm always getting licked (Meow!)"

"I'm a fat, ****ing pig"

"We forgive you, Germany" (what? makes no sense, we talk about fat pigs and baboons with huge anuses, and now we ... forgive Germany? Man, I'm starting to laugh now, that's for sure)

"Give each other names like Ahmed and Pedro"(I guess we're all born in South America and Middle East according to the writter)
"And, yeah, we like to wear clothes, girls still look beautiful
And it covers up our human dick (Woo)" (I had no idea that man wear clothes to cover their dicks, beautiful)

"Fellas, don't you love to cum when you have sex? (Ayy)
And I heard women orgasms are better than a dick's (Uh)" (what? the stupidity and the vulgarity are through the roof by now)

So, yes, this is beautiful, so poetic, so well put together, so many inspired jokes, so subtle in the same time, absolutely fascinating. Come on, this is not even garbage, but something much more terrible, foul-smelling that makes you throw-up. I felt that right from the beginning, and again, I don't know one person that finds this song comical, educational, musical or entertaining, yet it has a zillion views, according to youtube. Makes no sense.
I didn't say I liked it - I was just explaining it.

I'm guessing it's not really aimed at us.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you really want to get donations for a cause you'll target different demographics as well as you can. It's possible that this is a demographic that responds to this content well and then donate (if that's what this is all about) and that they otherwise might not have.

Regardless; I don't think anyone here is going to claim that this is great art or anything, so really we could just let this die instead of steering more traffic towards it which defeats the desire of... well... not having this stuff (and now I'm guilty of this too by bumping the thread)...

Know what I mean?

Count the viewers of this thread and that'll roughly be people that now have seen this video and might not otherwise have.
I think anything to bring more awareness to the issue is a good thing, and I think it's good to target young people as they need to take ownership since it'll effect them the most down the line.

It looks like the star studded cast was chosen (beyond whatever talents they brought to the table) in great part to their social media status and their YT views - Ed Sheeran, Wiz Khalifa/Charlie Puth, Psy, Bieber, Adam Levine, Katy Perry (all in the top ten of all time viewed YT videos), as well as their standing in the teen/preteen demographics. It must have had a very wide reach...good for them.

I think AndreiPiatra's criticisms are valid. The profanity makes no sense for what it is - it needn't need to be there, if it weren't there it would have made it no different in its message and outreach, or cred. But OTOH, it kind of fits because the rest of the lyrics are really weird, just very weird. It's kinda like a hyper-sexed Beavis and Butthead version of We are the World.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Know what I mean?

Well, yeah, but I think it's worth the attention since the attention is already there with 140 million views according to youtube and a huge number of artists involved. It's not an underground thing, it's pretty mainstream, so I doubt 1000 views +/- will make a difference, and people should be aware of this nonsense, where nobody likes anything about this song/video/fundraising project/ call it however you want and yet people are watching&sharing it for reasons we can't comprehend.

Quote:
I didn't say I liked it - I was just explaining it.

I'm guessing it's not really aimed at us.
Exactly! Nobody likes it, and we are artists and engineers here that we don't get it, and if the most open minded people regarding audio don't get it...who does? We have the ability to enjoy listening to a song, even if it doesn't suit our tastes, we all understand and accept something good as good if it is good! This song can only be aimed at the trash can. There are no alternatives.
Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
Well, yeah, but I think it's worth the attention since the attention is already there with 140 million views according to youtube and a huge number of artists involved. It's not an underground thing, it's pretty mainstream, so I doubt 1000 views +/- will make a difference, and people should be aware of this nonsense, where nobody likes anything about this song/video/fundraising project/ call it however you want and yet people are watching&sharing it for reasons we can't comprehend.

Exactly! Nobody likes it, and we are artists and engineers here that we don't get it, and if the most open minded people regarding audio don't get it...who does? We have the ability to enjoy listening to a song, even if it doesn't suit our tastes, we all understand and accept something good as good if it is good! This song can only be aimed at the trash can. There are no alternatives.
You may disagree, but I think there’s plenty of closed minded people making music - both here and elsewhere!

It’s kinda funny to me. Not hilarious, not that I need to check it out more than once, but I do sort of get why it’s popular. I DON’T get why the whole Soundcloud rap stuff it’s parodying is popular though...I mean, I was expecting XXXtentacion to be hard hitting aggressive stuff, not “me so lonely” whining over basic beats (well I was expecting the basic beats, just not the pathetic lovesickness!)
Old 13th June 2019
Deleted 1cebaa9
Quote:

It's referred to Ww2, etc etc. Means that if you are german you have to feel guilty but they forgive you because they are the good ones.
Classic sociopolitical propaganda by the Usa, they won that war after all.
I will not get into details because politics are forbidden in this forum
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logima View Post
It's referred to Ww2, etc etc. Means that if you are german you have to feel guilty but they forgive you because they are the good ones.
Classic sociopolitical propaganda by the Usa, they won that war after all.
I will not get into details because politics are forbidden in this forum
It's ok, I forgive you for bringing politics into this topic!

Since psycho_monkey mentions that this song was probably meant to be a parody, as there are 2 or 3 lines that could support this assumption...what am I suppose to understand with this forgiveness thing, it's a joke that people try to forgive Germany, or it's a joke that Germany will never actually be forgiven, why would you bring this among lyrics with fat pigs and nuts and orgasm comparisons of women vs dicks(men are described as "dicks" by the author, I guess we're simple carriers of a penis)?! If we forgive Germany or don't forgive Germany(whoever those "we" are, not going deeper into this) will it help climate change worshipers to save the planet that we love?! Man, really takes a team of psychiatrists to get to the bottom of this song, but I mean, a really good academic team from Viena working 24/7, thinking about the significance of each word, sound and character gesture because this is by far the most grotesque project of such large scale that I have ever heard of. Quite incredible, I do feel like something of great proportions is happening through audio content right now, that it's definitely not helping the whales, the Germans, the women, the dicks or the fat pigs. Ok, I'm done with this topic.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ok, I'm done with this topic.
But you did get the opportunity to write out all those bad words though, over and over again, so... all is good, no?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search