The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Who listens to such music?
Old 13th June 2019
Deleted be25781
It's just this crap all over again:

Then social media happened, and then it just went spiraling down with us ain't it?

Nothing ever changes, at least these artists get their royals after all the charade. Kids are still hungry over there. Just now the video is filled with obscenities. Promising.

Feel like escaping western society, might go live on an island with my cat. I will spend my days making treehouses and a coconut Playstation.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
But you did get the opportunity to write out all those bad words though, over and over again, so... all is good, no?
I used constructive criticism in order to analyse the song, and you can't do it effectively without citing the source. The problem with the lyrycs is not because of the words but of the way they were arranged to create a text that I describe it as grotesque. Now, I do get the parody and sarcasm from your comment, something that it's completely missing from this song, even if it's supposed to be one, and that I find disturbing, because this is not any song, but a mainstream song(or so youtube is implying).
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Guru

As I tried to point out before; people actually like the grotesque and the ugly. Look at political discourse and tell me that's not true.

I'm just not surprised at this at all.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post

Then social media happened, and then it just went spiraling down with us ain't it?

Nothing ever changes, at least these artists get their royals after all the charade. Kids are still hungry over there. Just now the video is filled with obscenities. Promising.
It was a decent humanitarian song with a coherent message, it was suppose to sound mainstream, it was mainstream, there were no ambiguities, like placing orgasms and fat pigs next to the immense love for our Earth. Children are starving, children are dying let's help them...ok, that's clear(never mind if that ever happened, I'm not debating the hypocritical aspect of our society. But now...let's stop pollution, let's talk about orgasm, let's stand for our planet, let's forgive Germany, let's stop attacking ourselves, let's not let HPV, let's understand that Earth is our home, let's suggest women that they look more beautiful without any clothes on...what the heck is this nonsense?

Quote:

Feel like escaping western society, might go live on an island with my cat. I will spend my days making treehouses and coconut Playstations.
Oh, yes, can I join you? If this is the future I'm sure going to join some SpaceX program to leave our planet for Mars to grow vegetables there.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

Feel like escaping western society, might go live on an island with my cat. I will spend my days making treehouses and a coconut Playstation.
Seems to me that investing millions in nations that need it will ultimately do more good than that last option of yours above.

So I'm not really sure how it's "crap" at all (in the case of "USA for Africa").
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
It's ok, I forgive you for bringing politics into this topic!

Since psycho_monkey mentions that this song was probably meant to be a parody, as there are 2 or 3 lines that could support this assumption...what am I suppose to understand with this forgiveness thing, it's a joke that people try to forgive Germany, or it's a joke that Germany will never actually be forgiven, why would you bring this among lyrics with fat pigs and nuts and orgasm comparisons of women vs dicks(men are described as "dicks" by the author, I guess we're simple carriers of a penis)?! If we forgive Germany or don't forgive Germany(whoever those "we" are, not going deeper into this) will it help climate change worshipers to save the planet that we love?! Man, really takes a team of psychiatrists to get to the bottom of this song, but I mean, a really good academic team from Viena working 24/7, thinking about the significance of each word, sound and character gesture because this is by far the most grotesque project of such large scale that I have ever heard of. Quite incredible, I do feel like something of great proportions is happening through audio content right now, that it's definitely not helping the whales, the Germans, the women, the dicks or the fat pigs. Ok, I'm done with this topic.
Everything you wrote right from the start of this thread exactly mirrors my feelings! I'm stunned! At least, now I'm glad to know that I'm not alone on this planet with my perception of a rotten and perverted entertainment industry, serving the rotten and perverted demands of a large part of mankind. Thank you for this thread, Andrei! I'm in for Mars ...
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
As I tried to point out before; people actually like the grotesque and the ugly. Look at political discourse and tell me that's not true.

I'm just not surprised at this at all.
It is true, but this is not normal, not sustainable. This mess can't go on. This song most likely targets a younger audience, if they enjoy this garbage then we have a pretty huge problem that needs to be addressed fast. However, I couldn't find anyone just yet that likes it, so, perhaps there's hope.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
However, I couldn't find anyone just yet that likes it, so, perhaps there's hope.
I'm operating under the assumption that a fair percentage of those that clicked "like" on the YouTube page actually did like it.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
Everything you wrote right from the start of this thread exactly mirrors my feelings! I'm stunned! At least, now I'm glad to know that I'm not alone on this planet with my perception of a rotten and perverted entertainment industry, serving the rotten and perverted demands of a large part of mankind. Thank you for this thread, Andrei! I'm in for Mars ...
Welcome aboard!
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Maniac

watching today's mass media wrapping anything into a technically perfect envelope (perfect video and sound quality) to target the audience while completely lacking any decency, standard and values just hurts. The biggest challenge for me was/is to make my two boys aware of the perfidious and brazen means by which the industry tries to catch especially young people, dazzeling them with perfectly designed and thought-out shiny and attractive packaging. Projects like EARTH, parody or not, backed up by such a no. of "big names" are making me sick, regardless their noble intentions.

We've recently seen a similar controversy here in Germany (stretching the limits of parody, satire and free speech) when tv host Jan Böhmermann presented a diatribe "poem" about Turkish Recep T. Erdogan (Wikipedia: Böhmermann affair). Profanity rules more than ever! And it's making me even more sick how poeple are getting away with this - or even get praised for it!!
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is true, but this is not normal, not sustainable. This mess can't go on. This song most likely targets a younger audience, if they enjoy this garbage then we have a pretty huge problem that needs to be addressed fast.
It is normal - whatever occurs at the moment is the (new) normal. The mess goes on. It will go on unabated. I mean, will people change?

We can point to things of equal folly at any juncture of history. One thing just gets supplanted with another. While we might be outraged when it happens, something else replaces it soon thereafter.

It's a veritable social science shepard tone - it's an illusion where things seems to be going down, and down and down, yet doesn't seem to get any lower, just a sense of going downward.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

That was overtly maudlin. It really needed Prince; the tension between him and MJ would have produced interesting results. Quite a backstory regarding that.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
It is normal - whatever occurs at the moment is the (new) normal. The mess goes on. It will go on unabated. I mean, will people change?

We can point to things of equal folly at any juncture of history. One thing just gets supplanted with another. While we might be outraged when it happens, something else replaces it soon thereafter.

It's a veritable social science shepard tone - it's an illusion where things seems to be going down, and down and down, yet doesn't seem to get any lower, just a sense of going downward.
It seems that downward is the way things go to people as they age, yet each generation continues to improve on what came before consistently (some ebb and flow but the general trend throughout human history is improvement), while old folks have whined about the ways of the children since Socrates.

I think it’s just part of the human condition of aging. People mistake an increasing absence of what’s familiar to them as “downward.”
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This truly is a garbage of apocalyptic proportions.
A little bit of reality for you. Hopefully this will help, once you come to terms with it:

The only people who care about the quality of music are musicians.

Listen to how most people talk about music. They almost always talk about the non-musical elements surrounding it. The social causes. The attitude of the artist. The religious/racial/etc views of the artist. How much money was or wasn't spent on production. What kind of gear was used. Whether the girl they danced with is going to **** them later. What kind of drugs or alcohol they can justify taking by listening to X artist. Which celebrity is endorsing/criticizing it. What kind of image they want to portray of themselves by association...

The music doesn't matter. It's wallpaper for the main event.

While I'm at it, Santa Claus isn't real, the existence of God is questionable, the only way to lose weight is to consume fewer calories per day than you spend (can't out-train a bad diet), and no, the girl you danced with isn't going to **** you later.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBSoundSmith View Post
A little bit of reality for you. Hopefully this will help, once you come to terms with it:

The only people who care about the quality of music are musicians.

Listen to how most people talk about music. They almost always talk about the non-musical elements surrounding it. The social causes. The attitude of the artist. The religious/racial/etc views of the artist. How much money was or wasn't spent on production. What kind of gear was used. Whether the girl they danced with is going to **** them later. What kind of drugs or alcohol they can justify taking by listening to X artist. Which celebrity is endorsing/criticizing it. What kind of image they want to portray of themselves by association...

The music doesn't matter. It's wallpaper for the main event.

While I'm at it, Santa Claus isn't real, the existence of God is questionable, the only way to lose weight is to consume fewer calories per day than you spend (can't out-train a bad diet), and no, the girl you danced with isn't going to **** you later.
I had never heard something like this, and I never thought about it, and yet, looking back, it might be true, I have no idea what to say, I'm not sure I can disconnect from myself to walk in someone else's shoes that consumes music like you would drink a beer. I'll think about it, wow, what an intriguing way to define impact of music on regular people.

The way I see it, right now, this is related very closely to the individuals and the way they project onto the world, are they constructed from the outside towards the inside, or viceversa, and I guess this defines superficiality, appreciating the package more than its content. Long story short, songs like this could do well for superficial people that construct themselves from the outside towards the inside, and if the numbers provided by youtube are honest, then we have lots of superficial ignorants (teens?) out there.

Anyways, you really blew my mind with this profound observation.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
All these people are on it:

Lil Dicky as Man
Justin Bieber as Baboon
Ariana Grande as Zebra
Halsey as Lion cub
Zac Brown as Cow
Brendon Urie as Pig
Hailee Steinfeld as Mushroom ("Common Fungus")
Wiz Khalifa as Skunk
Snoop Dogg as Marijuana
Kevin Hart as Kanye West
Adam Levine as Vultures
Shawn Mendes as Rhinos
Charlie Puth as Giraffe
Sia as Kangaroo
Miley Cyrus as Elephant
Lil Jon as Clam
Rita Ora as Wolf
Miguel as Squirrel
Katy Perry as Pony
Lil Yachty as HPV
Ed Sheeran as Koala
Meghan Trainor, Joel Embiid, Tory Lanez, John Legend as playback vocalists
PSY, Bad Bunny, Kris Wu as the "We Love the Earth" choir
Backstreet Boys as the Credits
Leonardo DiCaprio as Himself
I love it - there is not one person on this list that I have any interest in other than perhaps DiCaprio as an actor. To my mind he has not done anything of value since "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and he should have won an Oscar for his performance there. Just shows how the current generation of music and film is so far apart from what I find interesting. Oh if only there was a Way Back machine. :-)
Old 13th June 2019
Deleted 1cebaa9
Quote:

That's what came to my mind immediately after watching the video posted by the op.

Corporations organize the making of a song about saving a continent they destroyed in the first place.
Their responsability is hidden, reputation is saved and your empathy is driven where they want.
They want you to feel guilty for their crimes, "Donate for Africa".

Their greed and their lies are disgusting
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Tough crowd!
Old 14th June 2019
Deleted be25781
Quote:
Oh, yes, can I join you? If this is the future I'm sure going to join some SpaceX program to leave our planet for Mars to grow vegetables there.
As long as you don't litter the beach and don't bring women, it's a no drama island.

WILSSOOOONNNN
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Referring to the original video (Earth):

I tried my best to watch the whole thing, but I couldn't. The best I did was the first couple of minutes and a few random 10sec bursts until the end.

I really wanted to watch it all just so I could give a reasonably "informed" view. Yes, it does appear to be a parody, but not the sort of parody that I enjoy.

As has been pointed out, apparently it's aimed at teens. But with all those profanities, it certainly shouldn't be aimed at pre-teens. I dunno, I'm 58yo and perhaps a bit too old fashioned fuddy duddy.

On a positive note, what I have been able to achieve, is to simply ask my 14 and 16yo children about it.

13yo Son:
I've seen it, It's trending on YouTube, I watched the whole thing, I didn't like it.

16yo Daughter:
I've seen it, It's trending on YouTube, I watched the whole thing, I thought it was amusing and I liked it.

I'll try to get a more in-depth answer out of my Daughter as to why she liked it. But at this point she's gone back to her room with her iPhone

If you have kids yourself around that age - ask them. It may be quite revealing. I'll report back on my findings later.

Cheers.

[EDIT]
Importantly I forgot to mention that my kids are pretty cluey (they get it from their Dad ) they do understand the concept of "Climate Change" and the possible consequences, therefore I again question "who is this aimed at"? Dumb kids, perhaps dumb and clever kids in third world countries???

Last edited by stixstudios; 14th June 2019 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Important Info
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tough crowd!
Lil Twinkie is getting whacked !
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Maniac

[UPDATE]

I just asked my daughter a few more questions - you know, as in the usual psychological experiments you do on your kids. Afterall, what's the point having them?

Anyways, she said she liked the way they had the "childish" animation look with the swear words, but the whole thing was a bit weird.

I asked if she learned something new about Climate Change (ie. the message). She said "No, not particularly, but because of all the Celebs involved, I realise the issue is more important than I thought is was".

Further studies will need to be done.

Last edited by stixstudios; 14th June 2019 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
[UPDATE]

I just asked my daughter a few more questions - you know, as in the usual psychological experiments you do on your kids. Afterall, what's the point having them?

Anyways, she said she liked the way they had the "childish" animation look with the swear words, but the whole thing was a bit weird.

I asked if she learned something new about Climate Change (ie. the message). She said "No, not particularly, but because of all the Celebs involved, I realise the issue is more important than I thought is was".

Very, very interesting indeed.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
watching today's mass media wrapping anything into a technically perfect envelope (perfect video and sound quality) to target the audience while completely lacking any decency, standard and values just hurts.
If it really is about saving the planet then it doesn't lack values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logima View Post
Corporations organize the making of a song about saving a continent they destroyed in the first place.
Their responsability is hidden, reputation is saved and your empathy is driven where they want.
They want you to feel guilty for their crimes, "Donate for Africa".
So which are these corporations?
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Yep! it is very interesting.

I was very negative about the video and I dislike it very much, but now I see a positive in it.

I'm getting too old. I'm stuck in my ways, but I still do recognise (and try to see) another view.

It's not easy.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
That was overtly maudlin.
Thanks. I learned a new word today!

(and I agree)
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep! it is very interesting.

I was very negative about the video and I dislike it very much, but now I see a positive in it.

I'm getting too old. I'm stuck in my ways, but I still do recognise (and try to see) another view.

It's not easy.
If you like it because one of your kids likes it "a bit" then it doesn't count.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
[UPDATE]

I'm sure she's had fun watching her dad freak out, the actual point to stuff like this. Ahh the circle of music life.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

OK, I got curious and watched the video. My thoughts...

My guess is this was targeted at a relatively young audience. This seems like the type of thing that might be shown at a movie theater between the previews and the movie.

The song/video does nothing for me but that is moot.

The concept behind this is that we humanoids are trashing the planet. Species are becoming extinct at an alarming rate. The oceans are becoming receptacles for plastic waste. The air and water is polluted and we are paving and building to the point that nature is becoming a rare commodity. This SUCKS and we need to pay attention and stop screwing up the planet. This IS a very important message.

Why the OP is outraged over the music instead of being outraged over the fact the planet is getting crapped all over is to say the least, interesting. Personally I think there is a lot of worse stuff passing for music these days than this tune.

Again, these are just my opinions...
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
The concept behind this is that we humanoids are trashing the planet. Species are becoming extinct at an alarming rate. The oceans are becoming receptacles for plastic waste. The air and water is polluted and we are paving and building to the point that nature is becoming a rare commodity. This SUCKS and we need to pay attention and stop screwing up the planet. This IS a very important message.

Why the OP is outraged over the music instead of being outraged over the fact the planet is getting crapped all over is to say the least, interesting. Personally I think there is a lot of worse stuff passing for music these days than this tune.

Again, these are just my opinions...
this is a music-related forum, hence, it's perfectly appropriate to focus criticism on the artistic realization of a song, its lyrics and the video. Criticism aimed at environmental issues is a different subject for a different forum.

The majority of grown-up individuals will easily grasp the "noble" message of this video. What some folks are complaining about is the attitude, the lack of decency and the blunt profanity used to transport this message.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search