The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The other day, whilst up a mountain...
Old 31st May 2019
Here for the gear

The other day, whilst up a mountain...

I couldn't help noticing that something was different. Not only did I feel fantastic, but sound seemed different. In fact the only thing that didn't
benefit from the experience, was my little 4x4 hire car, which dropped about thirty horsepower.
I was between five and seven and a half thousand feet up, in the Cuenca National Park, a hundred miles from Madrid (in Spain).
I was recording the sounds of the forests and streams for a project, with a Sennheiser Ambeo and my little Zoom F8.
It was just everything sounded cleaner, crisper and individual birds and animals sounded so different to me that I started checking phase settings.

I know why I felt so good, this was because even though I had only been up there for four days, my body had started to increase the rate of red blood cell production. The air has almost zero pollen in it, and far less particulate matter than are found at lower levels. And the air is laden with negative ions.

But why does the sound appear different. Is it an illusion caused by my brain ?
Or is it really different ?

I am awaiting auth from the content owner, But I will pop an example up as soon as I have it, so you can see if you can hear any differences.
Old 2nd June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowndkraftuser View Post
I couldn't help noticing that something was different. Not only did I feel fantastic, but sound seemed different. In fact the only thing that didn't
benefit from the experience, was my little 4x4 hire car, which dropped about thirty horsepower.
I was between five and seven and a half thousand feet up, in the Cuenca National Park, a hundred miles from Madrid (in Spain).
I was recording the sounds of the forests and streams for a project, with a Sennheiser Ambeo and my little Zoom F8.
It was just everything sounded cleaner, crisper and individual birds and animals sounded so different to me that I started checking phase settings.

I know why I felt so good, this was because even though I had only been up there for four days, my body had started to increase the rate of red blood cell production. The air has almost zero pollen in it, and far less particulate matter than are found at lower levels. And the air is laden with negative ions.

But why does the sound appear different. Is it an illusion caused by my brain ?
Or is it really different ?

I am awaiting auth from the content owner, But I will pop an example up as soon as I have it, so you can see if you can hear any differences.
First, I don't think we can rule out some influence of subjectivity, as you seem ready to acknowledge, but, then, I sort of feel like I know what you mean -- and I would think that, as you seem to hint out, it would, in some large part, have to do with the lighter air pressure and more pure air.

Think about the very profound influence of fog on ambient outdoor sound. Growing up in Southern California -- where we used to joke that we had air you could chew (things are far better now but still far from ideal) -- I feel like I have a good sense of how different air conditions can affect the sonics of ambient, outdoor sound. I put a lot of weight on density and purity of the air. And... subjectivity, too, of course, because it is all but inescapable in such cases.

Your trip and project sounds like a lot of fun, actually.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search