The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
So anyone can claim my original content on Youtube?
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict

So anyone can claim my original content on Youtube?

From what I am hearing, if I put down my original content on Youtube, a big bad scamming company can claim it's copyright and then I'm toast.

Anyone care to comment? I thought that it was not necessary to copyright your music anymore as there are many ways to prove it's yours.

I have a full album I was about to release for free on YT but now it's like not even worth the trouble.

Any other means I can take in today's world to ensure my FREE music does not get stolen from me?

Thanks,
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict

Will Bandcamp ensure my music does not get stolen if I put a vid on YT after the fact? Thanks!!
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict

I mean does Bandcamp prevent further abuses (youtube or not) by supporting independent musicians which do not necessarily have their music copyrighted?
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Maniac
Not sure I'm following the claim. . .see:

https://creatoracademy.youtube.com/p...tist-copyright

. . .and:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797449?hl=en

Of course, you should consult an attorney, rather than accept the links provided above.

Best,

Ray H.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict

This is one of the many reports I have seen..also look at the comments..quite disturbing:

https://medium.com/@JackieM/how-i-de...c-b9cb9067fff9
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

This can happen on pretty much service, just Youtube is easiest to abuse as it attempts to spot it and immediately gives all power to who they think actually owns it.

None of these companies will do anything until its a big media story.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yul View Post
From what I am hearing, if I put down my original content on Youtube, a big bad scamming company can claim it's copyright and then I'm toast. ,
Hearing from where? A link/example would help. (Edit: thanks for posting an example while I was posting this.)

You mean like this guy?

Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict

...this is absolutely crazy.

What if someone claims copyright outside of youtube then? How far can this go?

Can anyone please confirm if I actually still have to copyright my music in this day and age or if any of the services mentioned would provide an acceptable safeguard?

There used to be the send the envelope to yourself thing not sure if this is still valid?

Thanks
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict
You need a youtube content id.
You get one via e.g. https://www.imusiciandigital.com/en/...-monetisation/
(1€ per track)
They also have options for releasing your album/ep/tracks on all major platfroms, in one package youtube-id is included iirc.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
...this is absolutely crazy.

What if someone claims copyright outside of youtube then? How far can this go?

Can anyone please confirm if I actually still have to copyright my music in this day and age or if any of the services mentioned would provide an acceptable safeguard?

There used to be the send the envelope to yourself thing not sure if this is still valid?

Thanks
No the envelope thing was never valid, it‘s an urban myth. While you have your copyright all the time unless you sell it, it‘s another thing to proove you are the original creator.
Best way to do that is registering your work with the us copyright office (this covers all relevant countries, see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention) service: https://www.copyright.gov/?_ga=2.410...611.1552336804
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear
I put mine in the bank vault. The manager robbed it and shot to number one with my dope jamz. Oh well.
Old 22nd May 2019
I'm not sure how much it really matters, but I've registered my tracks at safecreative.org before I put them out on other services (Youtube is not one of those services, as I have no interest in being affiliated with the ad-based model). I put out my stuff with a Creative Commons license, so registering at safecreative.org is free. Registering there with "all rights reserved" has a cost though.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
I put mine in the bank vault. The manager robbed it and shot to number one with my dope jamz. Oh well.
Another tale from the crypt yo.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Just copyright your stuff before you release it. This is what it’s for.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Head

Youtube is terrible for this. From what I understand it started with record labels hiring companies to find copyright infringing material on youtube, but the problem is if something sounds remotely similar it gets flagged and the monetisation of the video goes to said company. It's then up to the original uploader to try and prove it's not the case and that they in fact own all copyright for the audio, which most people don't bother doing. The independent musician who uploaded their original music is the one who suffers from this.

I second the recommendation of Bandcamp. Yes your songs will probably end up on Youtube one way or another once they are "out there", but Bandcamp are fantastic to deal with, super helpful, and I believe have the artists best interests at the forefront (while of course making a tidy sum as well). Just point all traffic to your Bandcamp page and they can stream for free or buy for your nominated price. Bandcamp takes 15%, the rest goes into your pocket.
Old 22nd May 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
There are a couple of things you should do before releasing your music anywhere. In the UK, copyright is granted automatically at point of creation, but...

From a legal protection POV you can do one of two things... You can either join the MU (Musicians Union) and register your work with them in case of copyright infringement. They will keep a physical copy of your work and will fight your case in terms of infringement. Or, you can send a physical copy of your work via sealed registered post to either yourself or a solicitor - and don’t open it. It will have more weight if it’s sent to a solicitor (sorry, lawyer).

In the US you can do similar things.

Most importantly, when you release your work include the line in the description:

”© & Ⓟ Your name/band name, year. All rights of the produced and of the owner of the work reproduced reserved. Unauthorised copying, hiring, lending, public performance and broadcasting of this recording prohibited.”

...along with a link to your track on your label’s website or streaming service so that you are making it clear that your work is reserved and not royalty-free and where the source of the music is derived from.

Putting a link to your track on iTunes, for example, will time-stamp your work for any future disputes.

As an aside... all this is moot because people will try it on regardless. However, if you have all these things in place you can reply to YouTube’s copyright notice with links to all this information in order to give them evidence in your favour. The more the better. Simply saying “it’s my track” is not enough.

Also... You should register your work with PRS (in the UK) in case it gets picked up and played somewhere - you’ll then earn royalties from it. You never know.

Best of luck.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
From what I am hearing, if I put down my original content on Youtube, a big bad scamming company can claim it's copyright and then I'm toast.

Anyone care to comment? I thought that it was not necessary to copyright your music anymore as there are many ways to prove it's yours.

I have a full album I was about to release for free on YT but now it's like not even worth the trouble.

Any other means I can take in today's world to ensure my FREE music does not get stolen from me?

Thanks,
Thats why you need to keep your project files such as arrangement, samples and different (also high-res.) versions of the song. In case you decide to go to court you can give bulletproof evidence that you're the owner. If you can lay down how the song came about the scammer may be in trouble. A lot is going on currently in terms of copy-protection for the benefit of artists. Another great way that doesnt cost you much is cdbaby. Highly recommended...
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks,
So, by definition, free music cannot be stolen... what are you even talking about? You’re made at the possibility of someone stealing music of yours that you’re planning on releasing for free... on the internet... on YouTube?

That’s like planning on a rawdog tour of all the *****houses of Southeast Asia, Africa and South America and complaining that you might get the clap...

You can’t take copyright action against anyone unless... wait for it... you copyright your stuff first...

Bone up on how this all works (the biz side) before you go off half-Cocked with bad info you read on the internet...

“a big bad scamming company can claim it's copyright and then I'm toast.”

“I thought that it was not necessary to copyright your music anymore as there are many ways to prove it's yours.”

Register with a PRO, register every song with a PRO, copyright every song that you release (even for free)...
Old 22nd May 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
copyright every song that you release
When you say “copyright” your work. What do you mean by that exactly? This is curious to me as in the UK copyright is implicit upon creation. It doesn’t need registration. Is this not how it works where you live?
Old 22nd May 2019
YouTube: fix the copyright protection system

Sign a petition:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/communit...rm=FTVrob%2Ben

just signed...
Old 22nd May 2019
Deleted c74c961
isn't this massively paranoid/cart before horse?

i mean, you've already said it's free. if it's worth anything, sell it.

i'd be actively hoping and praying someone used my stuff, to help gain recognition/claim some royalties if they were due. otherwise the sad reality is you will probably get 150 hits and one comment on youtube.

this is like those people who go to extreme lengths and costs to clear a sample that zero people will recognize.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

I just make sh*te music, music that no one wants to steal or claim as their own. It's the best solution really
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

The whole YT system is heavily rigged in favor of the big companies.

One channel I subscribe to had a manual claim made on one of his videos--a review of a turntable, for a 3 second clip of a copyrighted song. 3 seconds! Clearly this falls under fair use. For those 3 seconds, the ad money made on the 20+ minute video goes entirely to the claimant. This is downright criminal. Fair use aside, worst case they should only get about 0.19% of the revenue since only 0.19% of the video contained the claimed song. The rest is original material created by the creator of the video, and now they get none of it, which is theft, plain and simple.

In addition to the automatic flagging, these companies pay people to scan videos looking for content to claim. Just so they can make more money. We can't "steal" their content, but they can freely steal ours. Greed will be the downfall of us all!!!!

Of course, the big companies bribed for the laws to be written in their favor, and to have YT rig their system in their favor too. The whole system needs to be overhauled to make it fair for everyone.

And now they claim original material as theirs and steal the ad revenue from those videos too. I suppose the solution is not to post anything on Youtube until they fix their system. Is Vimeo any better in this regard?
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Addict

Thanks for your input guys. I signed the petition.

I realize that no one can claim copyright as such (it would be a false DMCA claim which are quite rate).

For youtube, my music would be free but still will want to retain ownership and certainly would not want anyone to monetize my own stuff or get scammed:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/e...ansom-creators

Anyhow, I will look at bandcamp and other more reliable place first.

I am not sure if copyrighting is viable (??$$) and need to check my Canadian laws as well as this might not be necessary.

Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

It's fairly simple.

DON'T UPLOAD TO YOUTUBE

There are plenty alternatives that do care about their content creators.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

TheFatRat reports the issue was resolved. Look at the comments in his video that was shared above.

That said, a big problem is YT approves claims without proof. Someone should review the claim and ensure it's valid before passing it on to the creator. And reject it if it's not valid (i.e. a claim on music not in the video, or anything that is clearly fair use).
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Addict

Copyright for 50 ish dollars? Is this accurate?

https://aristake.com/?post=91
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're misunderstanding the issue with Believe.

Believe are a distribution company. They work for loads of artists and labels, and part of that work is protecting their clients' copyright online.

The "big bad scamming company" is someone else, who scooped up a load of copyright-free material and then submitted it to Believe's catalogue as their own work. Believe then jumped into action, claiming all uses of this work online, because they were tricked into thinking it was owned by one of their clients.

Yes, the Youtube copyright claim system (and Soundcloud's, and others) is hard to navigate if your material has been incorrectly flagged, but overall there is a system in place to protect use of copyright material online, which is important.

This kind of thing is going to happen more and more with services like Splice etc - automatic content detection might not be able to distinguish between 2 different tracks which use the same source material, for example.
Old 22nd May 2019
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Maniac
For those wanting to wade a bit deeper into the subject of copyright law, Harvard's CopyrightX course [Williams Fisher] might be a useful resource. I audited the course several years ago. You can watch/download lectures at the link provided. It is clearly a complex subject with [for me] numerous anti-intuitive twists.

Unfortunately, copyrights can be very expensive to actually protect [I think] if challenged by a serious opponent.

To the attorneys here: Can you recommend serious forums that help us [music composers] better understand the various forces [as they stand today] and perhaps track proposed remedies like the CASE Act, etc.?

Best,

Ray H.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search