The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What percentage of studios are okay with substance use by artists during the session?
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Addict

What percentage of studios are okay with substance use by artists during the session?

Feel free to weigh in here

Of course I’m talking about the mild stuff like a little reefer or coke.

Any stories you have about uncomfortable situations or times you had to tell someone to put it away?
Old 2nd May 2019
yep
Gear Nut

My experience is that commercial studios are pretty liberal about such things, like nightclubs except even more so. If you want to blow rails off the console and if you or the label are willing to pay for the cleanup and repairs, knock yourself out.

In home studios, it seems to be more about WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor), or HAF, if that's how you roll.

Either way, it kind of comes down to the same thing. If your studio is in a building where burning a j or blowing rails off the bathroom sink is cause for eviction, then it's different from a building where it's cause for an increased cleaning fee.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realigion View Post
Feel free to weigh in here

Of course I’m talking about the mild stuff like a little reefer or coke.

Any stories you have about uncomfortable situations or times you had to tell someone to put it away?
62%

What a ridiculous thread
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Coke = „mild stuff“?
If I‘m not producing, I‘ll just insist they not do it inside the studio, and if possible not in the shared parts of the building. Other than that: it‘s their time and money, and as long as the behaviour isn‘t disrupting the session...
„Dope guests“ get asked to leave, though.
If I‘m producing, I‘ll first drop a hint about how it affects the quality of the work, and may even break up the session if necessary.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear
In the 70's ALL OF THEM.....in fact if you showed up for the session minus party favors you were sent back out to correct your mistake.

Today? Pretty rare that anyone is going to put up with ANY bull****, only artists with MASSIVE budgets could get away with it, and I don't think a lot of people who screw around keep their budgets for long. When I was producing, I didn't allow any of it, it just made my job harder, before that when I was an artist (And in those days we had a decent budget) I showed up at the studio BLASTED
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Just mild stuff... like the crack
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Guru

With me? Not at all. None of it. It’s my home. We don’t even allow cigarettes. No weed. No coke. Mild alcohol.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

I am, and have been for 50 years, in the henryrobinett camp!
Hugh
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Arrived 2 hours late, hadn't slept in 3 days, knee never stopped bouncing the whole session, got levels but changed songs before recording, for 9 hours, leader's wife hitting on me, he lost several items, including his weed, spent two hours outdoors "loading the car" in his shirt sleeves in single digit temps, and said my studio had a bad vibe when he left.

Drummer and bassist got into a drum duel on two kits while he was "loading out", that I caught on tape, pretty decent stuff, as far as it went.

I cover my end. I don't throw my time and skills in the trash. I don't permit any legal problems on my property. I'm here for the music, and the business. My To-Do lists are a lot longer than my days, so I pick and choose what I work on.
Old 2nd May 2019
You are responsible for the well being of anyone on your property. You are Sheet out of luck if someone overdoses in your studio! Use your brains.

Beer and Wine is fine. Anything else, there is a zero tolerance. I have no patients for junkies and there is only one thing on their mind, what to steal next for their next high.

Last edited by CJ Mastering; 2nd May 2019 at 05:11 PM..
Old 2nd May 2019
After you've had a few people close to you die of cocaine heart attacks, you won't call it mild.

I've had guitar players nod out mid solo. No matter how nice you think a junkie is, never trust 'em and don't let near the studio. Learned the hard way.

It has to serve the music. A light buzz can loosen some people up. Anything more is counter productive.

Tomorrow will be 7 years since I've had a drink. Alcohol put me in a rut for over a decade. Never getting better. Time is precious, clock keeps ticking....
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
We don’t even allow cigarettes.
Don't even? I'm more like "especially."
Old 2nd May 2019
I've done sessions during the 80's in commercial studios where the artist 'refreshment' spend was clearly 4 x or more than the studio cost. I am sure a lot of A list producers and engineers have also - but no one is going to spill the beans / give details as it would be uncool / unprofessional, a betrayal of trust and narc-like behavior capable of ending their career in a heartbeat.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Coke = „mild stuff“?
If I‘m not producing, I‘ll just insist they not do it inside the studio, and if possible not in the shared parts of the building. Other than that: it‘s their time and money, and as long as the behaviour isn‘t disrupting the session...
„Dope guests“ get asked to leave, though.
If I‘m producing, I‘ll first drop a hint about how it affects the quality of the work, and may even break up the session if necessary.
It's really nothing more than an alternative to coffee, as far as mild altering it doesn't take anyone too far out of their normal state
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
With me? Not at all. None of it. It’s my home. We don’t even allow cigarettes. No weed. No coke. Mild alcohol.
Louis Armstrong wouldn't have been too keen on meeting you then.
Old 9th May 2019
I definitely allow it, any substance. There's no scientific basis for why cocaine, amphetamines or opiates should be significantly worse than alchohol and even if there was I believe it's an individual choice. Any of these substances have the potential to enchance a performance or just be fun or relaxation but misused has the potential to wreck lives.

However I do take the freedom of making suggestions if someone's getting too wasted to perform well. Such as "why don't you leave that redose till you finished your guitar take". But it's rarely a problem, most people want to get the most out of their studio time and manage to show moderation.

Personally I stick to modest amount of stimulants on paid jobs. Weed makes me sloppy and confused and sure ain't gonna risk punching in on the kick drum track, ruin a track and my reputation in one go. One or two drags for mixing can work wonders for certain situations though.

There's one aspect where I'm restrictive though; absolutely no one goes near the desk with an open beer and I only say it nicely once. After that I become ferocious and will use sarcasm. Another (unofficial) one is that no one except me and the other residents of the studio can smoke by over the desk. Hypocricy maybe, but I'm the one cleaning the console and it's not my favourite job.
Old 9th May 2019
Quote:
It's really nothing more than an alternative to coffee, as far as mild altering it doesn't take anyone too far out of their normal state
You're saying that about cocaine?

I think you've been getting some weak sh*t man!

People can get seriously gacked!

Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
I am, and have been for 50 years, in the henryrobinett camp!
Hugh

Ditto!
Old 9th May 2019
I let people drink in the studio and ctrl room. I let people smoke weed in the lounge. In 25 years I've never seen anyone try to bust out coke or anything else in the studio. I don't think I would have stopped them though...
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmJetGuitar View Post
I definitely allow it, any substance.
My wife said this about a fancy NYC joint she worked at: "Whenever Keith came back from the bathroom, we'd do rock-paper-scissors to see who got to go down and clean the blood off the walls."
Old 9th May 2019
Re cigarettes - I don't allow smoking indoors and AFAIK no studio in my area does.

I had a producer from New York City working here once and he was shocked and appalled that he couldn't smoke in the control room. Said all the studios allowed it in NYC... I still have a hard time believing that...
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Re cigarettes - I don't allow smoking indoors and AFAIK no studio in my area does.

I had a producer from New York City working here once and he was shocked and appalled that he couldn't smoke in the control room. Said all the studios allowed it in NYC... I still have a hard time believing that...
In LA, I see it once in a while as a power-play thing. Some bigshot lights up, always without asking first, and everyone else looks around wondering who's gonna grow a pair and call them on it. That ends up being me, and they always put it out and go outside.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

I'm not telling anyone else what to do -- just leaving this here for what it's worth: I once rented a house where the previous occupant had chain-smoked for the two years he lived there. The tar residue from that activity absolutely covered every wall, and would "bleed" through fresh paint during humid weather. Personally, I don't want that crap in my gear. I used to repair stereo equipment for a friend who chain-smoked. At least half of the problems with his equipment were due to tar build-up in switches and controls. Is an occasional person lighting up in the studio going to do any harm? Probably not, provided he doesn't set fire to anything. But, I would worry about the cumulative effect.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
I’ve never seen coffee make someone act like a complete dickhead
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

Not having it can make me rather cranky, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaulson1217 View Post
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
62%

What a ridiculous thread
I think the first time it’s “diculous”. The second and further instances are where it becomes “ridiculous”.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

If it’s rolling an aromatic cigarette, in the garden and never inside, ok. Anything else, absolutely not.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Guru

mind your own business
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
LOL future train wreck
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaulson1217 View Post
I don’t think there is necessarily any causation involved. If there is, I’d have to say that breathing causes some people to be complete dickheads, and they will be complete dickheads until they stop breathing.
My pet peeve in a home studio is the dickheads who seem to find the toilet a very small target.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search