The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What percentage of studios are okay with substance use by artists during the session?
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Guru

Matcha is a great coffee replacer, too. Much smoother ride and doesn't drop you like a stone on the backend.
Old 20th May 2019
Some posts deleted for getting political. (Not allowed on Gearslutz.com)

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

Not sure why mine disappeared, though -- it wasn't political at all.

Oh, well... I'll survive.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldPowerLabs View Post
Not sure why mine disappeared, though -- it wasn't political at all.
Proximity effect?

Nevertheless, your post was germane to some of the topics broached by this thread. Yes, the neurological component of addiction is coming more into focus with more research being done, and as it pertains to weed, there definitely is a neurophysical aspect as well, as the psychoactive components of cannabis, cannabinoids are fat soluble, thus after interaction, will stay in the system for 30 days, and will possibly have unwitting ostensible effects
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Speaking of drugs... Contrast that with cocaine.

I quit every day for about three years. I finally changed employment to get away from “friends” and dealers. My conscious self was desperate to quit, but in some invisible part of my brain there was some mute little rat brain that had gained control of the machinery. That rat was driving my car and emptying my wallet whenever it pleased.

Addiction is a horrible thing that you have to experience or observe in someone you care about to really understand, and I wouldn’t wish that experience on my worst enemy.
hey Bushman. very good post.

i think almost 1/4 of the people in the universe have Drug problems of some kind or other, even though they wont define it as a problem, and live in denial.

alcohol, weed, coke, smack, whatever.....

its very good that you were sucessfull and managed to put the dam stuff down.

thats great news. well done.

Buddha
Old 6th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Yes!! I agree 100%.

I've never heard anyone else say this, I was talking about this to a friend I run with just a couple weeks ago. A few years ago I'd think these statements were insane lol.

I work/live/feel SO MUCH more productively and with much greater intention since dropping coffee. Now. . the choice to drop it was part of my path to finding greater intentionally in my life, so there's the chicken and egg thing to it, but I'm with you here, this has been my experience. You can very easily amp yourself up into a state of lesser intentionality and awareness.

I find substances (and many foods, diets) either bring you closer to yourself or distance you from yourself. I'm only interested in those that bring you closer.

Coffee, coke, most uppers. . distance you. Things like prozac and anti-depressants distance you. Things like heroin/percocets/oxy etc distance you.

Weed brings you closer to yourself. Psychadelics bring you closer. MDMA brings you closer. Adaptogenics like Reishi mushrooms bring you closer.

I've been shocked by the increased personal awareness that's come from eliminating coffee. Coffee is indeed a ruse, it amps you up into a state of lesser-conscious habitual action.
Hmmm... fair enough points but I find the way you broadly generalise peoples reactions to different substances very far from reality and rather typical of the weed/hallucinogenic crowd. And as a matter of fact MDMA is an amphetamine, hence a stimulant although in the 'emphateogenic' subcategory indeed.
Personally I find that modest use of amphetamines don't bring me any further from myself while for others they behave like selfish pricks. I love MDMA and use it on rare occasions but sure wouldn't run a session on it unless the client is initiating it and all complex routing is sorted. Unlike amphetamines, which for me is just steady energy and focus and it doesn't fry braincells if used more than every second month

While weed in the wrong situation makes me an anxious, slightly paranoid mess.

I also know people who function really well in it. Brains are just different hence it doesn't make sense to be moral about it. What matters if how a certain individual reacts to a given drug and how it matter of fact affect mind and body.
Old 7th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Yes!! I agree 100%.

I've never heard anyone else say this, I was talking about this to a friend I run with just a couple weeks ago. A few years ago I'd think these statements were insane lol.

I work/live/feel SO MUCH more productively and with much greater intention since dropping coffee. Now. . the choice to drop it was part of my path to finding greater intentionally in my life, so there's the chicken and egg thing to it, but I'm with you here, this has been my experience. You can very easily amp yourself up into a state of lesser intentionality and awareness.

I find substances (and many foods, diets) either bring you closer to yourself or distance you from yourself. I'm only interested in those that bring you closer.

Coffee, coke, most uppers. . distance you. Things like prozac and anti-depressants distance you. Things like heroin/percocets/oxy etc distance you.

Weed brings you closer to yourself. Psychadelics bring you closer. MDMA brings you closer. Adaptogenics like Reishi mushrooms bring you closer.

I've been shocked by the increased personal awareness that's come from eliminating coffee. Coffee is indeed a ruse, it amps you up into a state of lesser-conscious habitual action.
Jeeze one of the best cases for giving up coffee I have read!

I gave it up a while back - but I have slipped back into a regular 2 espressos a day and I feel slave to it again...
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmJetGuitar View Post
Hmmm... fair enough points but I find the way you broadly generalise peoples reactions to different substances very far from reality and rather typical of the weed/hallucinogenic crowd. And as a matter of fact MDMA is an amphetamine, hence a stimulant although in the 'emphateogenic' subcategory indeed.
Personally I find that modest use of amphetamines don't bring me any further from myself while for others they behave like selfish pricks. I love MDMA and use it on rare occasions but sure wouldn't run a session on it unless the client is initiating it and all complex routing is sorted. Unlike amphetamines, which for me is just steady energy and focus and it doesn't fry braincells if used more than every second month

While weed in the wrong situation makes me an anxious, slightly paranoid mess.

I also know people who function really well in it. Brains are just different hence it doesn't make sense to be moral about it. What matters if how a certain individual reacts to a given drug and how it matter of fact affect mind and body.
Yeah I can’t speak for everyone, just my personal observations.

I started working on mindfulness a few years ago, and have really amp’d it up in the last year and six months. Mindfulness as in “becoming aware of and in control of your thought processes.”

I started doing exercises every day, like setting a 10 minute alarm and trying to focus on nothing but “1. . 2 . . 3. . 4” repetitively for the full 10 minutes. Its impossible to do, its too simple a task for the mind, and what ends up happening is your subconscious will kick in and pull your focus one direction or another, often with feelings of high importance attached to whatever thought kicks in. As soon as you realize this has happened, no matter how important it feels (anything can wait the 10 minutes you’ve given yourself), you return to 1,2,3,4 and let the whole thing pass. Over time, you’ll realize its the same small handful of patterns kicking in over and over, while building the strength to be able to push them aside without engaging with them.

What this does is make you aware of the specific kinds of ways your brain will pull your focus away from where you actually want it to be, some of it quite sneaky. You’ll become aware of your preset mental loops that are nothing but worthless habitual thought processes, that are often negative in one way or another or at the very best a time/energy waster.

Then, as you go about life day to day in general, you continually build the ability to recognize when these habitual thought processes kick in and distract you, and build the strength to redirect your focus to where you want it to be.

The goal is to always be entirely present and focused and acting from a place of intention, but I've also noticed my habitual thought processes improving, so that even when I slip into being driven by my subconscious, its a place more aligned to my intentions than where it used to be.

With high levels of caffeine, like the typical strong cup of coffee or two, my habitual thought processes gain strength. They’re harder to push away and resist. The intentionality of my thought is decreased. So while I’m “more awake” and “amp’d up” its negated by the increase in mental distraction/chaos when it comes to measurable/actionable results in the world. I feel like once I’m hooked on coffee, my peak becomes 90% of my actual potential, and when I don’t have coffee (while hooked) I'm down to 70%. Those aren’t huge losses, but its really just not worth it.

Same with other drugs and foods. Some quiet the mental chatter and distractions and help you focus, some amp you up, (and with some of the heavier drugs is more about the residual effect, like shrooms, which cause the subconscious to burst outside of itself, opening up the potential for entirely new patterns of thought, but leave you in a more present and intentional state). If a person gets in the habit of being mindful of their thoughts, and puts in that small amount of focus exercise time each day, they can really zoom in on what’s best for them personally food/drug/supplement wise.
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Pot is addictive. Maybe it won't cause the same sort of physical withdrawal as with some other drugs, but regular usage will create a dependence and cravings, like any other addiction.
You mean addictive like chocolate, or ice cream?

In 2013 amid my separation and subsequent divorce, my attorney suggested I quit as I might be tested and it could have affected the custody hearings for my children. ( I never was tested)

At that point I had been pretty much a daily user for about 35 years. I quit cold turkey for about 7 months.

No withdrawal symptoms, no adverse effects. The biggest negative for me was boredom. It was much harder for me to workout, run, etc. A little vape and I find it much easier to run 10 miles or work out heavily for 2 to 3 hours.

One thing I do notice when I abstain is that I have a lot more dreams. For whatever that is worth.
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
You mean addictive like chocolate, or ice cream?

In 2013 amid my separation and subsequent divorce, my attorney suggested I quit as I might be tested and it could have affected the custody hearings for my children. ( I never was tested)

At that point I had been pretty much a daily user for about 35 years. I quit cold turkey for about 7 months.

No withdrawal symptoms, no adverse effects. The biggest negative for me was boredom. It was much harder for me to workout, run, etc. A little vape and I find it much easier to run 10 miles or work out heavily for 2 to 3 hours.

One thing I do notice when I abstain is that I have a lot more dreams. For whatever that is worth.
It's probably more addictive like gambling, sex, eating disorders, etc, more so than ice cream, though I'm sure there must be some people with really serious ice cream addictions.

Of course not everyone is the same, but there are both physical and psychological effects from immediate cessation after prolonged usage. That is not conjecture, that is verified through peer reviewed studies.

As with cigarettes, there are stories of those who just decide to stop, and do so successfully cold turkey. But for the preponderance, if they exhibit signs of addiction, it's a mighty struggle.

I don't think pot is as addictive as tobacco (though for some it can be), but nevertheless if one is a regular user, it's hard not to acknowledge there are addictive elements of it.
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's probably more addictive like gambling, sex, eating disorders, etc, more so than ice cream, though I'm sure there must be some people with really serious ice cream addictions.

Of course not everyone is the same, but there are both physical and psychological effects from immediate cessation after prolonged usage. That is not conjecture, that is verified through peer reviewed studies.

As with cigarettes, there are stories of those who just decide to stop, and do so successfully cold turkey. But for the preponderance, if they exhibit signs of addiction, it's a mighty struggle.

I don't think pot is as addictive as tobacco (though for some it can be), but nevertheless if one is a regular user, it's hard not to acknowledge there are addictive elements of it.
Why does this sound like you are speaking about something you do not really know much about, other than having seen 'peer reviewed studies'. Dig around and you will find such studies that said clearly nonsensical things by now long disproven, from asbestos being safe to use in buildings to whatever else.

In reality, 'peer reviewed studies' isn't exactly what would qualify as a failsafe depiction of actual reality, historically, is it? But someone's personal experience is actually real. Mine conforms with Sounds Great's.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Why does this sound like you are speaking about something you do not really know much about, other than having seen 'peer reviewed studies'. Dig around and you will find such studies that said clearly nonsensical things by now long disproven, from asbestos being safe to use in buildings to whatever else.

In reality, 'peer reviewed studies' isn't exactly what would qualify as a failsafe depiction of actual reality, historically, is it? But someone's personal experience is actually real. Mine conforms with Sounds Great's.
I've posted my experience in an earlier post, which is different than either your's or Sounds Great's. Is my reality unreal or discounted?
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I've posted my experience in an earlier post, which is different than either your's or Sounds Great's. Is my reality unreal or discounted?
The experience you had is totally real.

And it can still follow that there are no physical withdrawal symptoms from discontinuing marijuana use. Which is actually quite unique among all chemicals, natural or otherwise, that are considered to be drugs. Caffeine included.

Psychologically speaking, every person's reality is their own. And real.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
And it can still follow that there are no physical withdrawal symptoms from discontinuing marijuana use. Which is actually quite unique among all chemicals, natural or otherwise, that are considered to be drugs. Caffeine included.
There are physical effects: appetite loss, changes in the gastrointestinal system, lethargy...depending on the individual to different degrees.

I mean if you've been toking relentlessly for a long time, and just suddenly stop, you're gonna have a numb feeling (for a lack of better description) that lingers for awhile. There's a change in how one feels.

It's natural - if you're more often high than not, when that stops, there's a change. You feel different, you feel chemically different inside, your head literally feels different, aside from all the psychological/habitual impacts.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The experience you had is totally real.

Psychologically speaking, every person's reality is their own. And real.
It causes physical withdrawal symptoms in a large number of people. It’s not a special unique chemical that has no negative effects, anything that produces a physical effect can produce a withdrawal effect after the physical effect becomes normalized. You’re one of the lucky ones to have experienced nothing at all, or else didn’t smoke all that much before you quit. I love the stuff and use it daily but facts are facts.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4747417/

A significant amount of scientific effort has been devoted to characterizing cannabis withdrawal; laboratory and clinical outpatient studies have established the reliability, validity, and time course of the syndrome. Individuals who abruptly quit heavy, frequent cannabis use often experience mood-related symptoms (depressed mood, irritability, nervousness/anxiety, restlessness, increased aggression, increased anger, violent outbursts), gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, decreased appetite, stomach pain), physiological symptoms (shakiness, sweating, chills), sleep disturbance (sleep difficulty, strange/wild dreams), and craving to smoke cannabis (American Psychiatric Association, 2013). Withdrawal symptoms generally onset within the first 2–4 days of quitting, peak within the first week of abstinence, and resolve within 2–3 weeks of quitting, with the exception of strange dreams, which may persist for 30 days or longer (Kouri and Pope, 2000; Budney et al., 2003). Studies have also demonstrated that cannabis withdrawal is similar to nicotine/tobacco withdrawal with respect to the type and severity of symptoms (Budney et al., 2008; Vandrey et al., 2008), suggesting it is an important factor that may both promote continuous heavy cannabis use among individuals with CUDs and may influence treatment outcomes.
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
No, no, not at all. Just when people start saying things like 'peer reviewed studies' my cynicism heckles go up.
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
There are physical effects: appetite loss, changes in the gastrointestinal system, lethargy...depending on the individual to different degrees.

I mean if you've been toking relentlessly for a long time, and just suddenly stop, you're gonna have a numb feeling (for a lack of better description) that lingers for awhile. There's a change in how one feels.

It's natural - if you're more often high than not, when that stops, there's a change. You feel different, you feel chemically different inside, your head literally feels different, aside from all the psychological/habitual impacts.
Of course. But that is a far universe from 'addictive'.
Old 8th June 2019
Anecdotal evidence: I'm a pretty heavy daily weed smoker(don't drink). I have to go overseas ~2X a year. I never bring any and don't miss it.
Helps being in a different environment for sure.

Alcohol, I tried quitting for months before I shipped myself off to rehab, needed professional help.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Of course. But that is a far universe from 'addictive'.
I don't know how far away it is really. For any substance (ab)use there's going to be a certain percentage who'll fall within the general definition of "addiction".

It's been established that there is a genetic predisposition to addiction, and more than half who have substance addiction have it. For those with such a predisposition and with the right environmental factors, yes, pot is very viably "addictive".
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't know how far away it is really. For any substance (ab)use there's going to be a certain percentage who'll fall within the general definition of "addiction".

It's been established that there is a genetic predisposition to addiction, and more than half who have substance addiction have it. For those with such a predisposition and with the right environmental factors, yes, pot is very viably "addictive".
We all make choices and determine our priorities.

If a behavior (of any kind) is disrupting our lives in negative ways, but we continue with those behaviors regardless, that is a conscious choice.

Not just substances, but it could be a sex addiction, gambling addiction, etc.

So is this a predisposition to addiction, or maybe a predisposition to making poor life choices?
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
We all make choices and determine our priorities.

If a behavior (of any kind) is disrupting our lives in negative ways, but we continue with those behaviors regardless, that is a conscious choice.

Not just substances, but it could be a sex addiction, gambling addiction, etc.

So is this a predisposition to addiction, or maybe a predisposition to making poor life choices?
I don't know if every choice that people make is necessarily a witting one.

In any case there is such a thing as an addiction gene.
https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/cont...diction/genes/
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know if every choice that people make is necessarily a witting one.

In any case there is such a thing as an addiction gene.
https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/cont...diction/genes/
The addiction gene runs through my family, bunch of alcoholics that can't quit, which killed my Grandfather, though I blame that more on the long term effects of coping with his experience in WWII.

I also get migraines, my body is sensitive to foods and drinks and substances in general.

Perhaps that's why I feel the withdrawal symptoms. I know a lot of weed smokers who go through a few painful weeks that take some mental fortitude when they quit. Most regular weed users just don't ever quit. The typical story is "quitting really sucked at first but now I feel amazing" who then start talking about their vivid/lucid dreams.

Quote:
Its a predisposition to addiction. Its never productive to get judgmental about other's life experiences.

https://www.addictionsandrecovery.or...-a-disease.htm

Last edited by newguy1; 8th June 2019 at 08:48 PM..
Old 10th June 2019
Isn't all this drug talk just an attempt to make the recording industry seem glamorous?

One evening I was sampling the wares at a highwayman's inn deep in the woodland; a group of men told me that the M25 was 'built on cocaine' a ton per mile. Next time you're driving on the London Orbital please give a thought to the commitment of the builders.

Last edited by Arthur Stone; 11th June 2019 at 02:20 PM..
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
LOL future train wreck
I reject that. Life is going great
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Anyway, maybe we should all share a blunt a beer or a prayer of love for our salvation!......
All of the above!
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Guru
Music and a sense of humor will save us all!.....
Old 13th September 2019
Ok guys, you know the rules. No religion discussion - it always ends up like this!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search