The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What percentage of studios are okay with substance use by artists during the session?
Old 12th May 2019
  #61
Any commercial studio has to have a no smoking policy inside, or they’ll be liable for any fines.

At the same time, I’ve seen major studios make deals with high profile artists to turn off smoke alarms in certain areas to accomodate certain high profile artists.
Old 12th May 2019
  #62
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
In the mid 70s he was using a lot of cocaine.
That's a sort of blanket statement that covers nearly everyone who was in the music business in the mid/late 70's.
Old 12th May 2019
  #63
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
...I’ve seen major studios make deals with high profile artists to turn off smoke alarms
Old 12th May 2019
  #64
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
That's a sort of blanket statement that covers nearly everyone who was in the music business in the mid/late 70's.
Lol. Yeah, well that’s pretty much true.
Old 12th May 2019
  #65
Quote:
Originally Posted by willem1958 View Post
Most of the people here are saying "no smoking in my studio, no dope, I don't accept any use of substance"
If I have to believe the stories of the bigger bands like the Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Motörhead and other bands they used a lot in the seventies/eighties when they were recording in the studio, using coke was more or less a regular thing.
Back in those days I think you never get Keith Richards in the studio if you would have said that taking drugs was not allowed.
Back in the days studios were also multi-million dollar installations, and virtually inaccessible to bedroom bands, independents and artists with smaller budgets.

The stones made so much money for their publishers, distributors, label's etc.. no one was going to say no to them doing whatever they wanted in the studio.. but I'm skeptical that the same rules applied to unknowns.

This may have been common for, as you say, "bigger" bands, but the rest of them probably had to keep it professional or sneak off to do some blow unless they wanted to get ejected. I'm sure the very same rules apply today. If you've got money, or are worth money, you can probably do whatever you want. As for the rest, probably not so much.
Old 12th May 2019
  #66
The tape library at the studio I worked at was always a "sanctuary" and private.
Old 12th May 2019
  #67
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
Tape boxes...razor blades...what could go wrong
Old 12th May 2019
  #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realigion View Post
It's really nothing more than an alternative to coffee, as far as mild altering it doesn't take anyone too far out of their normal state
You've either never done coke, or you've been ripped off and buying baking powder this whole time heh. I take it you've never had to deal with people that have been on a week or two long bender and have been doing nothing but coke that entire time?

For me its a tough one. Not gonna lie Im a stoner and used to be a big druggie. Used to be one of those kids who thought 'Oh man this is gonna make the music so much more awesome' and nope. In an artist sense, it often made things take alot longer, lose coherency, and almost never get finished or even come close to what you thought it was going to be like. On top of that there's what it does to people that have been into it for awhile. It changes people, and almost never for the better (until they have that 'moment of clarity' anyways), and all it does is cause more harm than it does anywhere near good.
Nowadays I don't even like to smoke while Im 'working' because it just keeps me from completing what I want to do. If I don't sit there staring at the screen going 'Oh yeah what was I doing? Lemme just play this back for the 1000th time again and listen', then I get completely sidetracked and its like 'Hey this kick drum just needs this right here OH LOOK STAR WARS ON THE TV!!!'. Hehehe I like to get my work done, Im old I gotta make that time count! :D

Now if its me doing the recording, its kinda iffy. I mean hey if you're paying me and you got the money to waste your time and my time, go for it. Im getting paid, Ill just play on my phone or bring one of my Gameboys or my Switch while I wait heh. You do your thing, Ill be over here racking up wages and finishing The Legend of Zelda with your tracks armed. If its something Im doing at my house though? Fk no, get that **** out of here, I don't care if you're my best friend. This is MY personal space, my cave, my safe spot. Me and the misses have been there, done that, learned from it, and we don't want that lifestyle anywhere near us anymore.
Old 12th May 2019
  #69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebellum View Post
What about Miles Davis ?

"Davis supported his heroin habit by playing music and by living the life of a hustler, exploiting prostitutes, and receiving money from friends."
Miles did Kind of Blue right after he kicked. Arguably the best album ever made.


Besides all the other bad side effects; cocaine is not a musical drug. There's a few exceptions: Rumors, early '70's Miles, but not in my experience.
Old 12th May 2019
  #70
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Lol. Yeah, well that’s pretty much true.
Notable exceptions:
Supertramp during the Breakfast in America mixes didn’t do coke or keep crew who did it. I didn’t see or smell pot during the time they were mixing the album.
Chick Corea... he became a Scientologist and there were no drugs (or some exceptionally devious stoners) on his sessions.
Stevie Wonder during Songs in the Key of Life period. There was drug use around him, but to paraphrase what he said, a blind guy doesn’t need to mess up the senses he still has.
Old 13th May 2019
  #71
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realigion View Post
It's really nothing more than an alternative to coffee,
That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on the internet. And wow is that saying a lot. You sound like a teenager (or younger). In short, sorry, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I've tried various things in my younger stupider years and I don't have a studio that others use, but if I did, there would be no alcohol or smoking (cigs etc) or drugs of any kind. Maybe if an album was finished there'd be a few drinks OUTSIDE of the actual recording room(s) to celebrate. Anyone who wants to be a more hard-core "party dude" can do it elsewhere.
Old 13th May 2019
  #72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Haha maybe that was taken a few years before the smoking bans started kicking in!
Old 13th May 2019
  #73
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Whenever The Beatles were recording at night the whole building at EMI Studios smelled of incense....the guards up front used to laugh and told us "They think it avoids anyone thinking they are smoking marijuana" lol
Old 13th May 2019
  #74
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
Miles did Kind of Blue right after he kicked. Arguably the best album ever made.


Besides all the other bad side effects; cocaine is not a musical drug. There's a few exceptions: Rumors, early '70's Miles, but not in my experience.
Cocaine totally screws up your timing. I heard a comedian talking about it (can’t remember who), how you lose the ability to land a joke in the right place. In my experience, the same applies for music.
Old 13th May 2019
  #75
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Haha maybe that was taken a few years before the smoking bans started kicking in!
I suspect. At this point, you could still smoke in a hospital bed and an airplane.
Old 13th May 2019
  #76
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Chick Corea... he became a Scientologist and there were no drugs...
Who needs drugs when you've got Scientology
Old 13th May 2019
  #77
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
Back in the days studios were also multi-million dollar installations, and virtually inaccessible to bedroom bands, independents and artists with smaller budgets.

The stones made so much money for their publishers, distributors, label's etc.. no one was going to say no to them doing whatever they wanted in the studio.. but I'm skeptical that the same rules applied to unknowns.

This may have been common for, as you say, "bigger" bands, but the rest of them probably had to keep it professional or sneak off to do some blow unless they wanted to get ejected. I'm sure the very same rules apply today. If you've got money, or are worth money, you can probably do whatever you want. As for the rest, probably not so much.
Just like you said; if you really make a lot of money as an artist, you're allowed to do most anything but for smaller bands studiotime was so expensive that they simply had to use all their time to recording and be clear in their head.
Nowadays a lot has changed, using drugs is'nt that popular anymore and there has been a change of attitude about it.
Old 13th May 2019
  #78
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Who needs drugs when you've got Scientology
Leah Rimini might agree that Scientology has things in common with addictive drugs.
Old 13th May 2019
  #79
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
By the way I am a Scientologist and have been since 1979. I briefly knew Leah back in 2003. She's a POS and just trying to amount to something. She's a lair and knows she is. I think attacking other people religions is terrible and just plane bigotry.

I'm actually featured on the Scientology TV Network this month. It's called Meet a Scientologist if anyone's interested. I never prostelytize, but I also won't be attacked for my religion or over racial bias.
Old 13th May 2019
  #80
Lives for gear
 
andychamp's Avatar
Aaaaand I‘m out!
Bye.
Old 13th May 2019
  #81
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
It's called Meet a Scientologist if anyone's interested.
Can't find it. Link?
Old 13th May 2019
  #82
Gear Guru
I may need to go and get high.......
Old 13th May 2019
  #83
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Can't find it. Link?
I've only seen it on TV. I'll see if I can find one later.
Old 13th May 2019
  #84
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
By the way I am a Scientologist and have been since 1979.
All apologies Henry. I might have written, "...when you have religion" but that's just my personal point of view on organized religions at large, not specifically Scientology. Again, all apologies. Spirituality is one's own individual business, and that's the first thing I've ever posted referencing religion. And the last.
Old 13th May 2019
  #85
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
All apologies Henry. I might have written, "...when you have religion" but that's just my personal point of view on organized religions at large, not specifically Scientology. Again, all apologies. Spirituality is one's own individual business, and that's the first thing I've ever posted referencing religion. And the last.
I hear you. Thank you. I as raised an atheist by two very well educated, intellectuals. I was never indoctrinated in religious think in anyway. I thank them for that. I came to eastern spirituality individually. That brought me to Scientology. I believe it’s a personal journey. People have the right to believe what they believe without persecution for it. Just don’t become a zealot and apply force to others over your beliefs or disbelief. That’s my policy.

Thank you.
Old 13th May 2019
  #86
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Brent - LOL!
Old 13th May 2019
  #87
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

So many puritans here..

Clearly several posters are more technicians and casual musicians than artists, which is as it should be.

But the fact is, lots of artists are troubled people, driven people, people under pressure, people investigating parts of life that more 9-5ish people don't investigate. It can be very lonely and hard to work from one's own intuitions.

If some studio owner feels superior to me because he's 'clean' or feel like moralizing or pushing some mental purity agenda, sorry, that's not an artistic/free environment, and I'll find somewhere else very quickly.

And fwiw., probably a lot of weed smokers can agree just how obnoxious drunk people can be. Impossisble to have a real deep conversation with someone drinking, with someone fairly high, you still can imo.

You guys can do whatever you want, I'm just telling you how I see it, as an artist who works also in fairly psychedelic styles and expressions and moods. Basically all artists I know have a liberal attitude to mindaltering substances like weed and shrooms.

Yea, getting addicted is uncool, hard drugs are basically uncool because they're so dangerous, but bourgeois puritanism kills creativity.
Old 13th May 2019
  #88
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
.. That brought me to Scientology.
Eww.

As an artist, I need to be totally free from influences like that.

Last edited by GeorgeHayduke; 13th May 2019 at 09:00 PM..
Old 13th May 2019
  #89
Gear Guru
Artificial euphoria and making critical decisions are rarely a good mix. Obviously whatever gets you there, but when high there sometimes is no there, there.....
No puritan here, but would rather get high at home as a reward listening to the kick ass mix. Art has to hurt too...... Being in the moment on a great performance is the best high there is.... If you need something to get you there or through a long session, great! Personally would rather be on edge than blunted....

I usually like weed when writing, but getting "boned out" is a drag, so need to stay focused and not get hung up restringing a guitar or something....!
Old 13th May 2019
  #90
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
So many puritans here..

Clearly several posters are more technicians and casual musicians than artists, which is as it should be.

But the fact is, lots of artists are troubled people, driven people, people under pressure, people investigating parts of life that more 9-5ish people don't investigate. It can be very lonely and hard to work from one's own intuitions.

If some studio owner feels superior to me because he's 'clean' or feel like moralizing or pushing some mental purity agenda, sorry, that's not an artistic/free environment, and I'll find somewhere else very quickly.

And fwiw., probably a lot of weed smokers can agree just how obnoxious drunk people can be. Impossisble to have a real deep conversation with someone drinking, with someone fairly high, you still can imo.

You guys can do whatever you want, I'm just telling you how I see it, as an artist who works also in fairly psychedelic styles and expressions and moods. Basically all artists I know have a liberal attitude to mindaltering substances like weed and shrooms.

Yea, getting addicted is uncool, hard drugs are basically uncool because they're so dangerous, but bourgeois puritanism kills creativity.
For real. I thought studios with a "no weed here" policy -> out of business. Its gone hand in hand with creative musicianship since the 60s. Beatles would bounce and go create somewhere else.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump