The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the point of it all ! Utility Software
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

What is the point of it all !

The other evening I was out field recording in the middle of Thetford forest. I had all the mics setup and was recording. (good to point out here I was already in a grumpy mood as my eldest daughter and my wife had been giving me grief about getting the horsebox fixed).

Whilst back in the truck I got to thinking.

What is the point of it all. By that I mean, the lengths we will go to and time we will spend on making our recording the best it can be.
In a studio recently I witnessed a man setting mics for some cymbals, he was still doing it the next day. Why.
We will use £5000 microphones and exotic pre-amps, SSL desks and a plethora of plugins to capture sound as good as it can be captured, and for what.

So my teenage daughter can play a squashed to **** Youtube video through her poorly made Chinese tablet speaker.
Or so Grandad can listen to one of the 20 CD's Classic FM Own and play ad nauseam day and night. Whilst weeding the garden.

I can only conclude that it is indeed a sense of personal pride, honour if you will, that drives us to create as we do. We will strive to get the best out of what we own or have with us at the time. Can you say that of a plumber, of of the man who last fixed your car.

I'm sorry if I have waffled but it seems to be what I do.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

I think you've asked a deeply relevant question and I think it deserves very profound answer. I wish I had one. I first picked up a musical instrument over fifty years ago and since then, I've been trying to answer the same question. The best that I've been able to come up with is that music has many purposes in our lives and at different stages. We rarely think of it this way, but I believe it to be the case. When we're children, we use it to learn nursery rhymes and to communicate. We use it to learn to move our bodies to rhythm. As we become teens, we can use it build physical relationships with people we're attracted to through dance or as makeout music. At this age, we can also use it vent or fuel aggression. Maybe as we get older, we start to listen to the lyrics and start to resonate with the social, political or spiritually profound message some songs carry. Sometimes, the physical sensation of pure soundwaves of loud music washing over us can create its own euphoria as in a great concert experience that we share with thousands of people and remember for the rest of our lives.

Today, music is everywhere and the delivery of it has gotten poor. Crappy music converted to crappy mp3s listened to through crappy earbuds and that music that has the potential to move us deeply is completely eviscerated or lost like flowers choked by weeds. Thousands of songs instantly at our fingertips and nothing moves us. It's sad and depressing to me. But I know in all the noise that's now out there, there are some gems that I find every once in a while that can do what music is supposed to do for our lives and that's convey intense emotion, enhance our understanding of life and the world around us on a much deeper level than words alone can. When done right,the message can feel deeply personal, like the musician is communicating directly and only to us.

We spend those thousands of dollars on those great mics and pieces of gear because we hope that in doing so, our message that's deeply personal and important to us in its purest form, will go out into the world and resonate deeply with others and move them like it moves us. Most of the time we and many others fail to get it right, but every once in a while when we do get it right, it makes it worthwhile.
Old 10th April 2019
Ours is not to reason why, ours is to do or die.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Addict

You're no better to be safe than sorry.

Play your own game in your own headspace, let them play theirs. Learn and grow from it all.

Do NOT harm other players... YET! -Line from arcade game Gauntlet.

When everybody is out on the playground. You got some dudes playing kick ball. People playing hop scotch. Girls in the corner playing grab ass and cooties. Your not all playing the same game, but you share a common play ground. See what I'm saying? You need to lay your cards out on table. Cause its not all a bowl of cherries.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowndkraftuser View Post
The other evening I was out field recording in the middle of Thetford forest. I had all the mics setup and was recording. (good to point out here I was already in a grumpy mood as my eldest daughter and my wife had been giving me grief about getting the horsebox fixed).

Whilst back in the truck I got to thinking.

What is the point of it all. By that I mean, the lengths we will go to and time we will spend on making our recording the best it can be.
In a studio recently I witnessed a man setting mics for some cymbals, he was still doing it the next day. Why.
We will use £5000 microphones and exotic pre-amps, SSL desks and a plethora of plugins to capture sound as good as it can be captured, and for what.

So my teenage daughter can play a squashed to **** Youtube video through her poorly made Chinese tablet speaker.
Or so Grandad can listen to one of the 20 CD's Classic FM Own and play ad nauseam day and night. Whilst weeding the garden.

I can only conclude that it is indeed a sense of personal pride, honour if you will, that drives us to create as we do. We will strive to get the best out of what we own or have with us at the time. Can you say that of a plumber, of of the man who last fixed your car.

I'm sorry if I have waffled but it seems to be what I do.

I PERFECTLY understand your grief, man. I have been fighting this very hard and took a lot of **** for it, particularly from the hordes of uneducated youngsters who have no ears... lost generations who never owned a stereo setup to listen to record/CDs... the liquid music generation....
But believe me... there are still many, many persons who listen to quality recordings, buy good listening gear and enjoy spending time listening to a whole record/CD... not just a tune. It's an hidden large amount who has love for what you worry about. They are out there, you just need to look better and harder. Trust me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search