Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Gear free zone - shoot the breeze (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-free-zone-shoot-the-breeze/)
-   -   Bizarre vocal trend (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-free-zone-shoot-the-breeze/1257794-bizarre-vocal-trend.html)

joeq 22nd July 2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublave (Post 14109570)
Just seeing more and more of this.

the cloud deserved it
it was singing with that creepy vocal affectation

pan60 22nd July 2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert82 (Post 14109897)
Heck, let's cut to the chase:

Modern "pop" singers might have good pipes (Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, etc.) but then their voices are so processed as to make it almost not a factor. The real reason these young women are stars is the dancing, the sultry poses and sheer clothing . . . it's about the video. A lot of it is just well-produced soft-core porn.

Pretty face + Autotune + dance moves = star.

i would not argue that in anyway. it is not to my taist but it is what it is.
i think a lot of this will fall to the side as i think good music will allways stand on its own.
i alos beleave a lot of what we see today is and must be taken in the light of just internment. its not about the music but the product to draw in a generation seperated from me by time?

pan60 22nd July 2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyxx (Post 14109902)
I wish Frank Zappa were still around to give his opinion on the current state of pop music. Not because I wonder what his opinion would be, but because I would want to hear the colorful language used to describe it.

never cared for Zappa. :(

monkeyxx 22nd July 2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert82 (Post 14109900)
Oh jeez, monk . . . you should know by now that half my posts are tongue in cheek! cooge

Plus, I thought the "shriek of the Nazgul" was kinda funny.

I guess I was referring to the person you were responding to.

Some of your details were great.

For example, if any over 30 person disdains or critiques some modern music made by an under 30 person they are "an old man shouting at a cloud." No matter how nuanced or valid their opinion might be. You might as well put on your clown nose and a cowboy hat any time you want to comment on something. Actually, that would be pretty funny.

I think the defining psychology of our times is that people invent their own facts, and live inside their own information, which may or may not be based on true events or even science.

Then again, I don't trust anyone's opinions about music, and I don't think anyone else should either. Therefore, say whatever you want. It makes no difference to me. You could be an NY Times journalist or an online keyboard warrior or a buddy of mine. It all goes in the trash bin. The only thing I really care about is if a bunch of people generally like something. That is a clue to me to go in and do some investigation. I'm not so worried about the specifics of any of the opinions.

Anyway back to shouting at the clouds.

chessparov2.0 22nd July 2019 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyxx (Post 14109902)
I wish Frank Zappa were still around to give his opinion on the current state of pop music. Not because I wonder what his opinion would be, but because I would want to hear the colorful language used to describe it.

GS Post of the Month! Nominated for "Post of the Year".
Sorta "Classic Fletcher meets Space Race JFK".

To paraphrase the Bee Gees "More Than A Sig Line".:)
In fact, later tonight after work... I want it for me!
Chris

robert82 22nd July 2019 11:57 PM

This thread started as a critique of a certain "bizarre vocal trend". I just want to weigh in, (because no doubt everyone wants to know whatever it is I'm going to say next), that much of the actual instrumental/arrangement/production and even composition quality of current pop music is equal to the best of any era, IMO. Then the vocal comes in. :facepalm:

robert82 23rd July 2019 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyxx (Post 14109915)
You might as well put on your clown nose and a cowboy hat any time you want to comment on something.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140119051538

That video sucked!

monkeyxx 23rd July 2019 02:26 AM

LOL... very effective

terr0rgasm 23rd July 2019 02:43 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-0K77ccAOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNtonlvglu8

Strangechild 23rd July 2019 08:24 AM

With some specific exceptions, I never want to criticize anyone for making music. That doesn't mean I'll like it.

Will any of this be played, enjoyed, studied, argued, or respected five, ten or twenty years from now? I doubt it. True art is defined by a work's integrity, relevance, acceptance/rejection through time. If it falls away, it is not art, only fad or a general offering.

Has ANY pop music in the past ten or twenty years stood up to this?

Blessings to those who make music with true conviction, no matter how small or large your audience.

dublave 23rd July 2019 03:10 PM

My perspective is that it's low-hanging fruit. It's just too easy to thumb one's nose at. This music is fine. It does what it's designed to do. It soundtracks stores, bars, television shows, helps sell whatever product, kids love it... it serves its purpose. It's not a particularly noble or meaningful purpose, but a purpose nonetheless. It's designed to be throwaway, and that's what ends up happening to it. I'm not particularly offended by it because I understand its place. It doesn't do much for me, but I can understand why younger folks and casual music listeners would like it. It's upbeat, fairly predictable, easy to learn the words to... it's not what I choose to listen it, and it's not what excites me or lights my passion for music. But I'm not going to cringe if I hear it out in the world. To me it just fades into the background, which I'm pretty sure is exactly what it's meant to do.

robert82 23rd July 2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublave (Post 14110863)
To me it just fades into the background, which I'm pretty sure is exactly what it's meant to do.

I would give a fairly large sum of money to possess your ability. To me, it is quite simply a form of audible torture.

dublave 23rd July 2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert82 (Post 14110939)
I would give a fairly large sum of money to possess your ability. To me, it is quite simply a form of audible torture.

Some real drama queens up in here :lol:

I kid, I kid yingyang

I used to get more worked up about it. I just got to a point where I realized it wasn't doing me or anyone else any good. Unnecessary stress when I know there is plenty of music out there that I do love. Which is a better use of my energy and focus. Not to mention how it can be inspiring to react to stuff like this. If I'm not hearing anything that I like then maybe I should concentrate on making it myself.

creegstor 24th July 2019 04:46 PM

I think this kind of affectation it started with the girl from Portishead trying to sound like Billy Holiday.

Very self-consciously and artificially rendered vowels and consonants. From her it followed a few different strands: "fake hipster-girl with ukulele" being one, and "fake soul-pop singer". Feist and Amy Winehouse are good examples. Rinse/repeat affectations through the pop machine for 2 decades and... here we are.

dublave 24th July 2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creegstor (Post 14113054)
I think this kind of affectation it started with the girl from Portishead trying to sound like Billy Holiday.

Who doesn't love Beth Gibbons though, I mean c'mon.

norfolk martin 24th July 2019 06:08 PM

Sound like the old Johnny Rotten style of a few extra vowels and consonants


" we're so prettyeeeee-ya. a-oho so prettyeeee-ya. We're vayyy-cant -ha ."

rosewood123 24th July 2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creegstor (Post 14113054)
I think this kind of affectation it started with the girl from Portishead trying to sound like Billy Holiday.

Very self-consciously and artificially rendered vowels and consonants. From her it followed a few different strands: "fake hipster-girl with ukulele" being one, and "fake soul-pop singer". Feist and Amy Winehouse are good examples. Rinse/repeat affectations through the pop machine for 2 decades and... here we are.

I was listening to Portishead and thought the same thing. Funny how things persist.

I was thinking too about how some people these days love ASMR, and then how the whispery vocals are so popular.

dublave 24th July 2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosewood123 (Post 14113209)
I was thinking too about how some people these days love ASMR, and then how the whispery vocals are so popular.

More people are recording themselves in their bedrooms. Bilie Eilish's whole album was recorded in a bedroom. Makes sense this would bring out a bit more of ASMR-like tendencies.

SilverCrucifix 1st August 2019 08:37 AM

What I really can't stand is female singers who sing with an unnatural voice trying to imitate the voice of a ratchety black girl from the ghetto, talking apathetically while chewing a gum. It's one thing when black girls from the ghetto do it, but when grown up, affluent white women do it, it's just completely cringy. And it feels like an insult to the audience, as if they're saying "yeah I can't care enough to actually open my mouth and express some feelings with energy, whatcha gon' do 'bout it?".

Not to mention every pseudo-Folk Rock popular singer that sings with various degrees of unnatural pronunciation.

DistortingJack 1st August 2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCrucifix (Post 14126698)
What I really can't stand is female singers who sing with an unnatural voice trying to imitate the voice of a ratchety black girl from the ghetto, talking apathetically while chewing a gum. It's one thing when black girls from the ghetto do it, but when grown up, affluent white women do it, it's just completely cringy. And it feels like an insult to the audience, as if they're saying "yeah I can't care enough to actually open my mouth and express some feelings with energy, whatcha gon' do 'bout it?".

Not to mention every pseudo-Folk Rock popular singer that sings with various degrees of unnatural pronunciation.

Cringy or not, music has a long story of white people imitating working class black people, starting with 19th century jazz. Your criticisms sound much like Adorno’s elitist (and slightly racist) bashing of jazz as a music form.

Elvis, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin were very heavily influenced by blues. Disco was basically an offshoot of funk. Pop music has had a strain of R&B since the ‘60s. Alternative rock of the ‘90s had a heavy dose of funk and hip hop influences, starting with the seminal band of the movement, Jane’s Addiction. Hip hop beats have been commonplace in pop for decades.

I understand this trend sounds a bit silly, but it’s not any sillier than the aforementioned grunge “yarl”, the overdone Mariah Carey melisma, or even the weird as hell pronunciation at the time of Edith Piaf (French people don’t usually sound like they are half drowning when gargling, or at least not as much). There are dozens of fads like that throughout the history of popular music.

Just let it play out. It isn’t that bad and it will go away eventually.

robert82 1st August 2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCrucifix (Post 14126698)
What I really can't stand is female singers who sing with an unnatural voice trying to imitate the voice of a ratchety black girl from the ghetto, talking apathetically while chewing a gum.

Like this?

dublave 1st August 2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DistortingJack (Post 14126791)
Cringy or not, music has a long story of white people imitating working class black people, starting with 19th century jazz. Your criticisms sound much like Adorno’s elitist (and slightly racist) bashing of jazz as a music form.

Elvis, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin were very heavily influenced by blues. Disco was basically an offshoot of funk. Pop music has had a strain of R&B since the ‘60s. Alternative rock of the ‘90s had a heavy dose of funk and hip hop influences, starting with the seminal band of the movement, Jane’s Addiction. Hip hop beats have been commonplace in pop for decades.

I understand this trend sounds a bit silly, but it’s not any sillier than the aforementioned grunge “yarl”, the overdone Mariah Carey melisma, or even the weird as hell pronunciation at the time of Edith Piaf (French people don’t usually sound like they are half drowning when gargling, or at least not as much). There are dozens of fads like that throughout the history of popular music.

Just let it play out. It isn’t that bad and it will go away eventually.

very refreshing comment kfhkh

SilverCrucifix 1st August 2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert82 (Post 14126909)
Like this?

lol yep, except she actually puts a little more power in her voice than those singers who sound completely apathetic.

robert82 1st August 2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCrucifix (Post 14127237)
lol yep, except she actually puts a little more power in her voice than those singers who sound completely apathetic.

She's rich and famous now. I think she needs to pay some royalties to Cardi B.

chessparov2.0 2nd August 2019 12:15 AM

Otherwise it's a Cardi Nell sin.
Chris

a.m. son 8th August 2019 09:19 PM

Since when did mainstream music start to be labeled as “hipster”? I would tend to equate them more as opposites than anything. Isn’t the whole hipster label a bit played out, anyway?

monkeyxx 9th August 2019 12:08 AM

It's not a compliment

johnny nowhere 9th August 2019 12:58 AM

There have been lots of vocal trends I've noticed throughout my life, and found myself making fun of them from an early age.

From all the Fake Sinatras and the Frankie Vallie wanna-bes, to the affected British accents of the 60s and the Southern Rock drawls of the 70s, I grew tired of them all very quickly. All of this led me to be quite judgemental of vocalists in general, and drove me to finding and listening to those who retained a unique character to their delivery.

(Thank God Donald Fagen's vocal style never caught on. Can you imagine?)

I feel relatively the same toward the warblers of today's music, and simply try to avoid it. A pity that more people do not pursue their own unique delivery rather than doing their damnedest to sound like everybody else.


AndreiPiatra 17th August 2019 11:29 PM

When half of the female population in US are on some form of antidepressants and various other psychiatric medication it is quite obvious there will be garbage music catering their sense of art.

robert82 17th August 2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra (Post 14154987)
When half of the female population in US are on some form of antidepressants and various other psychiatric medication it is quite obvious there will be garbage music catering their sense of art.

Factually, maybe 8 to 10%. But, still, sexist much?