The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Friends who Made It.
Old 8th March 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
Friends who Made It.

Awww, my old bass player made it. Bob! He makes his living teaching music now, so cool. Anyone else have a story like this?

Faculty – SD CITY COLLEGE commercial music
Old 8th March 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Horrifically triggering thread title.
Perhaps this should go in the “careers/work” section of the forum?
Old 8th March 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Made what?
Old 8th March 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Intriguing title...lol... You could get an onslaught on this site if people come forth. Old friends that have accomplished their goal(s) always makes me feel good. I always liked the people you knew (or met) before they made it... and they are the same today. Debbie Gibson comes to mind. I was asked to go down to see/support her '1s't public appearance. Most of my friends were in Jazz. I would have to say they all basically made it, we were friends but not real close friends - Grammys albums tours etc., because that was their mentality going into it; and that mentality is a common thread for success. Most of the friends I really got along with; already made it before I knew them.
Old 8th March 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
jupiter8's Avatar
 

Back in 98-99 some friends of mine we're involved in recording some songs for a new and upcoming female artist that was about to hit it big. About that time i moved to Norway so i wasn't in the loop anymore. I did hear it at a fashion show later so it was a big hit. Didn't hear much about her after that.

A while ago i got curious to what happened to her. Had some vision about her sitting all depressed and overwheight in a tracksuit in a rented apartment in the bad parts of town.

Not so. Turns out she's married to one of the guys in Swedish House Mafia and has written songs for Rihanna and Jennifer Lopez.
Old 8th March 2019
  #6
Gear Nut
 

Talking of Swedes, I met Max Martin last night, who was lovely.
Old 8th March 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
mutilatedlip's Avatar
Yes. My friend was on set blowing up the balloons for the Pennywise scenes.
Old 9th March 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Made what?
Finally made their living entirely off music..

Quote:
Horrifically triggering thread title.
What do you mean? When I met Bob he was living in a crappy apartment with his pregnant girlfriend, he had no direction in life. He loved coming to my studio. I was just so happy to see him do well.

So if I'm triggered by being happy for someone, ...well then I guess d I'm guilty.
Old 16th March 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
"made it" is wildly open to interpretation. I was taught by a wise man years ago that 'success' means something different to everyone who is of an individualistic nature.

It is a good rule of thumb to not tell anyone else what your definition of 'success' is.

Especially if you've yet to achieve it
Old 16th March 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
"made it" is wildly open to interpretation. I was taught by a wise man years ago that 'success' means something different to everyone who is of an individualistic nature.

It is a good rule of thumb to not tell anyone else what your definition of 'success' is.

Especially if you've yet to achieve it
My definition of success: seeing the exchange - an old saying

Anyone who has success has lost something as well has gained something.
Not too many people talk about what is lost in the exchange... when something bad is lost for something good but lets say you make money by being famous... you lost your privacy.
So to me seeing that exchange (ahead a time is important) is what makes it meaning diff to all people...
Old 16th March 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
when something bad is lost for something good but lets say you make money by being famous... you lost your privacy.
So to me seeing that exchange (ahead a time is important) is what makes it meaning diff to all people...
'bad' and 'good' are also extremely subjective

being famous isn't necessarily an automatic loss of privacy either

Take MFDOOM for example
Old 17th March 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
'bad' and 'good' are also extremely subjective

being famous isn't necessarily an automatic loss of privacy either

Take MFDOOM for example
bad or good is subjective just as success is subjective... I believe you are missing my point.
arguing semantics is a lose lose situation.


If you are deemed a public figure your legal stature changes... depending on the public/private property and jurisdictional laws - generally you are allowed to publicly display an image of a public figure... same can not be said of a private citizen in many situations. You do lose a large amount of privacy when you are famous because the playing field is changed.
Old 4th April 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
One of my best friends and favorite people of all time moved to Nashville back in the mid 70's and has gone on to write 11 number one tunes for some very big artists. I would have to say that he clearly has made IT.

The sad thing is that Sony told him to start writing Taylor Swift tunes so he quit.

His current stuff is by far the best stuff he has ever written yet he has no talent for sef marketing so no one is hearing it. Personally I think he could put out his own CD and the entire thing would be hit songs.

The good thing is he is doing fine but it is sad the people are not hearing his current stuff because all of it is so much better than the average stuff coming out of Nashville these days the majority of which is all formulaic and all sounds like everything else.
Old 4th April 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
One of my best friends and favorite people of all time moved to Nashville back in the mid 70's and has gone on to write 11 number one tunes for some very big artists. I would have to say that he clearly has made IT.

The sad thing is that Sony told him to start writing Taylor Swift tunes so he quit.

His current stuff is by far the best stuff he has ever written yet he has no talent for sef marketing so no one is hearing it. Personally I think he could put out his own CD and the entire thing would be hit songs.

The good thing is he is doing fine but it is sad the people are not hearing his current stuff because all of it is so much better than the average stuff coming out of Nashville these days the majority of which is all formulaic and all sounds like everything else.
To be an artist and self promote it - comes down to how much he really wants it, really wants it. If he has a few hit songs under his belt already then he is over the BIGGEST obstacle that most artists face: not enough money to live on. Most talent is in the street and will never make it. I do not know many people who would turn down a chance to write a cash cow song for Taylor Swift. Does he not like blondes... or international superstars... or money... or think she is not a real artist (but he is) a little baffling there... something else must of happened you just don't quit in that situation... usually its I quit because ___. I would ask him the real truth as to why he quit. A real friend would do that, and then point out exactly whats wrong with the reasoning. If he doesn't agree - maybe he was never a friend in the first place.

A song is one thing, an artist with a huge fan base is another. Sounds like he is on a Stapleton type path. Nothing wrong or bad about that... can he sing?

Most exposure outlets like formulaic because it cuts down risk. If he is alternative I think he should release in alternative markets to start with.

If his repertoire is just writing songs - well he is in a highly competitive and maybe he needs to stumble across a partnership. OR if he is that good why in the heck not get an agent? Were the #1 songs standalone? or were they on the coat tails of other hits. Wish you and him luck.
Old 6th April 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
To be an artist and self promote it - comes down to how much he really wants it, really wants it. If he has a few hit songs under his belt already then he is over the BIGGEST obstacle that most artists face: not enough money to live on. Most talent is in the street and will never make it. I do not know many people who would turn down a chance to write a cash cow song for Taylor Swift. Does he not like blondes... or international superstars... or money... or think she is not a real artist (but he is) a little baffling there... something else must of happened you just don't quit in that situation... usually its I quit because ___. I would ask him the real truth as to why he quit. A real friend would do that, and then point out exactly whats wrong with the reasoning. If he doesn't agree - maybe he was never a friend in the first place.

A song is one thing, an artist with a huge fan base is another. Sounds like he is on a Stapleton type path. Nothing wrong or bad about that... can he sing?

Most exposure outlets like formulaic because it cuts down risk. If he is alternative I think he should release in alternative markets to start with.

If his repertoire is just writing songs - well he is in a highly competitive and maybe he needs to stumble across a partnership. OR if he is that good why in the heck not get an agent? Were the #1 songs standalone? or were they on the coat tails of other hits. Wish you and him luck.
Well when you are one of the best song writers around and your company comes to you and asks you to write like someone else that is in my opinion an insult. As he put it to Sony, I write my songs. Yes, he has enough money but that does not stop him from writing as it is in his DNA. The man is brilliant - he has the talent and learned his craft. Everyone wants to write with him. He simply has no interest in being a cash cow or writing songs other than what his muse provides. And as to his singing, I think he has an amazing voice. I do not understand your ref to "true friend". I think you are missing the point - the man writes songs that are far better than anything Taylor Swift will ever write and simply has no interest in writing that type of stuff - disclaimer - this is of course MY opinion. He does enjoy writing with many other writers but now mostly writes by himself. He is getting on in years too.
Old 6th April 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
Well when you are one of the best song writers around and your company comes to you and asks you to write like someone else that is in my opinion an insult. As he put it to Sony, I write my songs. Yes, he has enough money but that does not stop him from writing as it is in his DNA. The man is brilliant - he has the talent and learned his craft. Everyone wants to write with him. He simply has no interest in being a cash cow or writing songs other than what his muse provides. And as to his singing, I think he has an amazing voice. I do not understand your ref to "true friend". I think you are missing the point - the man writes songs that are far better than anything Taylor Swift will ever write and simply has no interest in writing that type of stuff - disclaimer - this is of course MY opinion. He does enjoy writing with many other writers but now mostly writes by himself. He is getting on in years too.
I understand your point. Being 'better' is very subjective. It is nice that he has those accomplishments under his belt and your compassion for him is a friend. 'True friend' is subjective too. I was just pointing out possible areas of troubleshooting the situation. No offense but I do doubt that 'everyone' wants to write with him. I do not see that as much of a problem either. He has the ability to lay down his songs... and appreciative people will get rewards from that. Taylor Swift is more than a singer-song writer and for her market she gets an "A" grade from me. Taylor is still very young and who knows how good she will get in 30 years. She has accomplished most of the goals that she set out to do.

I understand deeply when someone has no interest in doing certain projects. I can relate. I have turned down many things for the sole reason that I did not want to be a 'public' figure. I value my anonymity more than money or notoriety. I also protect my creativity and inspiration.

I believe that you believe he is the best. It is hard for me to judge unknown quantities with known quantities.

When you first laid it out you said it was sad that he quit because he had to write for Swift. I was trying to dig out why it was sad. Now I know its because he doesn't want to put out homogenized and regurgitated 'art'. It sounds like he thinks it serves little purpose. Understandable.

We all have a path of bettering our own souls. I am sure some people listen to his songs. 'Maybe' many of the movers and shakers don't want to listen and who knows why. I personally would love to get on with completing more of my tracks. I had to learn everything from the ground up. From learning computer theory and building a PC for lack of money. I had to learn midi theory and build a midi set-up for lack of money, I had to learn open source computer theory and then build a good open source DAW for lack of money. I had to learn how to record with inferior $5 microphones for lack of money. Oh yea and I have to keep working for peanuts like cleaning houses grunt work for cement and construction or what ever for the dream. I would love to get paid accordingly for creating songs - and when I get good enough - I will be in demand.. But that has NEVER fazed me. I look at my goal and the end game and persevere because I want it bad. But I am very patient and if its meant to be it will happen. My journey is a joy because for me it too is in my blood my soul and my fabric.

I am doing for myself what I have done for others. I created platforms for incredible artists and musicians because I felt that the world NEEDED to be able to hear their art with out corporate interference. I think we both might have missed each others point. I played devils advocate to try to get more info on the situation,

I am about constructive progress that's why I mentioned an agent - he would have no trouble getting a good one it seems. Here is another idea: Why not find try to find a young social media PR person to promote him. If money is an issue schools are full of eager people with that talent who would probably be honored to help.

I am sure he will get his material finished and many people will reap the benefits. I am glad he has someone fighting for him like you. prosper...
Old 9th April 2019
  #17
Gear Addict
 
ignorantape's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Awww, my old bass player made it. Bob! He makes his living teaching music now, so cool. Anyone else have a story like this?

Faculty – SD CITY COLLEGE commercial music
My old drummer got his PhD in something to do with international terrorism and security and now makes big bucks acting as an advisor for the government on dealing with Turkey (the country, not the bird).

He made it, just not in music.
Old 9th April 2019
  #18
Back in 1973 I was told, "too many mixers, not enough fixers".

It was true back then and it's true today.
Old 9th April 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez21 View Post
Talking of Swedes, I met Max Martin last night, who was lovely.
As well, talking of swedes, the rutabaga is an underutilized vegetable.
Old 9th April 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
As well, talking of swedes, the rutabaga is an underutilized vegetable.
Rutabaga and Carrot / Cheese Casserole has to be near the top of the list...
Old 9th April 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I understand your point. Being 'better' is very subjective. It is nice that he has those accomplishments under his belt and your compassion for him is a friend. 'True friend' is subjective too. I was just pointing out possible areas of troubleshooting the situation. No offense but I do doubt that 'everyone' wants to write with him. I do not see that as much of a problem either. He has the ability to lay down his songs... and appreciative people will get rewards from that. Taylor Swift is more than a singer-song writer and for her market she gets an "A" grade from me. Taylor is still very young and who knows how good she will get in 30 years. She has accomplished most of the goals that she set out to do.

I understand deeply when someone has no interest in doing certain projects. I can relate. I have turned down many things for the sole reason that I did not want to be a 'public' figure. I value my anonymity more than money or notoriety. I also protect my creativity and inspiration.

I believe that you believe he is the best. It is hard for me to judge unknown quantities with known quantities.

When you first laid it out you said it was sad that he quit because he had to write for Swift. I was trying to dig out why it was sad. Now I know its because he doesn't want to put out homogenized and regurgitated 'art'. It sounds like he thinks it serves little purpose. Understandable.

We all have a path of bettering our own souls. I am sure some people listen to his songs. 'Maybe' many of the movers and shakers don't want to listen and who knows why. I personally would love to get on with completing more of my tracks. I had to learn everything from the ground up. From learning computer theory and building a PC for lack of money. I had to learn midi theory and build a midi set-up for lack of money, I had to learn open source computer theory and then build a good open source DAW for lack of money. I had to learn how to record with inferior $5 microphones for lack of money. Oh yea and I have to keep working for peanuts like cleaning houses grunt work for cement and construction or what ever for the dream. I would love to get paid accordingly for creating songs - and when I get good enough - I will be in demand.. But that has NEVER fazed me. I look at my goal and the end game and persevere because I want it bad. But I am very patient and if its meant to be it will happen. My journey is a joy because for me it too is in my blood my soul and my fabric.

I am doing for myself what I have done for others. I created platforms for incredible artists and musicians because I felt that the world NEEDED to be able to hear their art with out corporate interference. I think we both might have missed each others point. I played devils advocate to try to get more info on the situation,

I am about constructive progress that's why I mentioned an agent - he would have no trouble getting a good one it seems. Here is another idea: Why not find try to find a young social media PR person to promote him. If money is an issue schools are full of eager people with that talent who would probably be honored to help.

I am sure he will get his material finished and many people will reap the benefits. I am glad he has someone fighting for him like you. prosper...
Certainly no offense taken with any of your points. My friend writes the songs I wish I could write. For me, he is up there with the best of the best. He has no talent for marketing himself nor does he have interest in trying to do so. He is in his 70's now so i am not sure how much more he has in the tank as far as trying to get cuts. He still writes when he is moved to do so but he has backed off and I know his calendar has openings now where 8 years ago just to make dinner plans usually meant planning a month or two out because he was so booked for cowrites. And yes, he left Sony because he had no interest in writing songs other than the ones he would natirally write himself or with others. Being given an agenda to write like someone else was simply of no interst to him so walking away from Sony was an easy call. It is to bad that his newer stuff is not being heard because it is not the typical Nashville formlaic stuff but I am lucky as I am kept up too date and I get to listen to him all the time. lol He has it all - the melodies, the progressions and the lyrics and along with the talent he learned the craft by getting to write with the great writers that were there when he arrived. And for all I know, the masses might not care for his writing anymore. Yes he has had 11 numero unos but the fan base has changed and the music coming out of Nashville has changed so who knows. I just know I am huge fan and am grateful I've had the chance to hear his stuff, write with him and be pals as he and his wife are two of my all time favorite people. Total hoots and so much fun to be around.
Old 10th April 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
Certainly no offense taken with any of your points. My friend writes the songs I wish I could write. For me, he is up there with the best of the best. He has no talent for marketing himself nor does he have interest in trying to do so. He is in his 70's now so i am not sure how much more he has in the tank as far as trying to get cuts. He still writes when he is moved to do so but he has backed off and I know his calendar has openings now where 8 years ago just to make dinner plans usually meant planning a month or two out because he was so booked for cowrites. And yes, he left Sony because he had no interest in writing songs other than the ones he would natirally write himself or with others. Being given an agenda to write like someone else was simply of no interst to him so walking away from Sony was an easy call. It is to bad that his newer stuff is not being heard because it is not the typical Nashville formlaic stuff but I am lucky as I am kept up too date and I get to listen to him all the time. lol He has it all - the melodies, the progressions and the lyrics and along with the talent he learned the craft by getting to write with the great writers that were there when he arrived. And for all I know, the masses might not care for his writing anymore. Yes he has had 11 numero unos but the fan base has changed and the music coming out of Nashville has changed so who knows. I just know I am huge fan and am grateful I've had the chance to hear his stuff, write with him and be pals as he and his wife are two of my all time favorite people. Total hoots and so much fun to be around.
Nice - I see a lot clearer now - Just enjoy and encourage him to cut some more songs... it is probably important to do what you are already doing (supporting him to get out some more songs), even if they are just tracked in a private or prosumer home studio.
Old 10th April 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Awww, my old bass player made it. Bob! He makes his living teaching music now, so cool. Anyone else have a story like this?

Faculty – SD CITY COLLEGE commercial music
"Made it" means platinum record or top 40 hit
Old 10th April 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
"Made it" means platinum record or top 40 hit
That's a hyper narrow definition.

Are you a hyper narrow person?
Old 10th April 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
That's a hyper narrow definition.

Are you a hyper narrow person?
Knowing when to be narrow-minded is an easy way to success. lol
Old 10th April 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Nice - I see a lot clearer now - Just enjoy and encourage him to cut some more songs... it is probably important to do what you are already doing (supporting him to get out some more songs), even if they are just tracked in a private or prosumer home studio.
Yeah, his son is a recording engineer and they have a small setup in the basement. His wife is really good about sending me the neww stuff so I continue to get the benefits of hearing his latest and greatest.
Old 10th April 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
boombapdame's Avatar
@ PdotDdot who is he, you are lucky so cherish it.
Old 11th April 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
That's a hyper narrow definition.

Are you a hyper narrow person?
I am not narrow, I am realistic. Short of multiple gold records and/or multiple top 40 hits or a single top 10 owning your publiching, you are pretty much never going to be able to retire young. You are going to have to work a day job or have to continue to tour till you are old. Even if you go gold at a young age you are going to have to work the rest of your life or have a good investment with the money you did make. Even more so nowadays since there are no record sales and touring pays crumbs for the average band. The average person in the music business makes negative dollars. even if yo uare i na successful band it never lasts forever and you still need to make a living after no one cares about your music.

"Making it in music" means you don't have to work another day in your life. Not many people can do that. In the old days it was a sleezball manager or record company screwing you. Today it is free downloads and grubby promoters. It's pretty tough to make money in music. less than .01% make a good living. If you hustle you can make 50 or 60K giving guitar lesson in sweaty closet in the back of music store somewhere, or you can make 50k recording crappy bands. That is not making it since you have to do that year in and year out. And that money is if you cheat on your taxes and write all you gear of year after year.

If you live in a big city or large suburban area you have to make more than 60k and you have to play gigs at night to live decent. To make even a decent living in music you have to work 7 days a week. That is not "making it". Sorry Unless you can get into a symphony orchestra you are never going to make real money just performing and TBH I don't consider making 150k reading sheet music as "making" either. You still have to do that the rest of your life and be in constant fear of getting let go because you look too old or you are too slow in your old age. What if you get an injury like carpel or arthritis?? or bad hearing loss? you are screwed they will fire you and have no mercy. My advice to anyone trying to make it in music is to stop wasting your time and go to college for computer science or Electrical engineering.

I know lots of rock stars and I can tell you very very few of them can say they "made it" financially. You need to have a steady income of publishing and merch to keep the checks coming in year after year post heyday and into your golden years. It happens but it's tougher these days. Promoters and mp3s are a killer. Very very free people make a good living throughout their life in music.

Should I go on about making it as an audio engineer? How much can you make these days when everyone has a Neve clone and a copy of reaper on a PC? Sure you can make some ok money if you cheat on your taxes and you don't need health insurance or don't care about retirement, but eventually some other person is going to steal your business if you aren't careful. It's tough. 99% of people who say they make a great honest living in music are lying. If they do make a good living they are working 70 hours a week.
Old 11th April 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
Quote:
"Making it in music" means you don't have to work another day in your life.
Nonsense. Making it in music means you make your living off music.

Even if you never get rich there is a joy to making music every day and paying your bills with it.

Living your dream.
Old 11th April 2019
  #30
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
It is true that many people may have a different idea of what making it is. My brother is a drummer for Blue Man Group in Berlin and he is also very involved in the pop scene in Europe working with other writers, playing sessions, etc.

However he is nearing 50 and does not have much socked away for retirement.

He cointinues hoping for that number one song or becoming a pop star humself and I wish him all the best and root for him but will it haooen is an unknown.

Certainly the Beatles made it. Bruce Swedien made it as an engineer as did Quincy Jones.

To me making it means you got to the top - at least for a while. It does not necessarily mean you have enough money to never have to work again. However I can see why to some that would be a key ingredient as well.

My song writing friend has made enough money that he will never have to work again but he still writes and hopefully his new stuff will make it to peoples ears.

So he made it in both categories. He had at least one hit but he also made enough that he can support his family and not have to work again.

My borhter on some level has made it because he is making a living making music which is something I never achieved so compared to me he made it but for my definition, making it is again getting to the top at least once or for a while.

I suppose if you are a classical musician perhpas making it means signing on with a good symphony. I cannot speak for that as it is a genre I know little about.

Anywa, just some random thoughts based on reading some of the recent posts here.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
giorgioreboldi / So Much Gear, So Little Time
18
vicksvicious / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
26
Matthew Murray / So Much Gear, So Little Time
3
ventura33 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
2
WidgetNinja / The Moan Zone
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump