The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your kids and music... Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Your kids and music...

My old man was a pretty straight-laced food chemist (now retired and living the good life), but he loved rock and roll and music in general. I still remember the exact moment he showed me how to fret an E-min on his old cheapo Sears guitar, somewhere around age 7... and though it must've been torture listening to me bang an out-of-tune "E" chord for two weeks straight, every time he'd pass by my room he'd peek in with a proud little smile. It absolutely made my day.

When I got a bit older and started taking guitar lessons at a small music shop in town, he'd anxiously listen to my progress behind the closed door. And around 13 or so, when I joined my first band with some older high school kids, he'd cart me back and forth across town to practice... When my little Gorilla amp wasn't quite loud enough, we built some carpeted cabs and jammed some Carvin speakers in them on the cheap... At 16 or so, I got to open for "the remaining members of Iron Butterfly", lol... And man were we terrible, but my old man was absolutely ecstatic!!!!

Point being, my old man's love of music had a huge and lasting impact on me. Now that I'm a father, I often wonder if either of my boys will carry the torch. It's of course fine if they don't. It's such a different world than I grew up in, with so many more distractions... and frankly the allure of playing an instrument and being in a band isn't what it once was among younger folks. There's probably a lot less mystery surrounding it all for my boys too -- they grew up around drums, guitars and gear... it may all be background noise to them at this point.

BUT... I had just replaced a pot in one of my effect pedals and was trying it out to make sure all was OK, when my 4-year-old walked into the room. He started singing along... and I thought, I gotta grab my phone for this. It's ridiculous, but it absolutely made my day! I suspect it's exactly how my dad felt listening to me bang out that "E" chord when I was a kid:

Anyone else have similar moments? Do share!
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFoster View Post
He started singing along...
Wow. Fantastic.
Old 25th February 2019
Thanks for sharing. That was awesome.
Indeed, it is a proud moment to watch your child do stuff like this. Other people's kids droning on an out of tune guitar, maybe less so
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys! :-)

And you're absolutely right bambamboom -- it's all unquestionably best viewed through the rose-colored lens of a proud parent, lol!!!
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFoster View Post
...when my 4-year-old walked into the room.

. . .

Anyone else have similar moments? Do share!
That's awesome. Great story too.

Kids and Music - My only daughter is a singer-songwriter. It started out as playful fun (not unlike your boy in front of the fireplace there) - then slowly over the years as she grew up it became apparent that music was going to be her thing. Now she's 19 at college studying music.

Her musical journey (which continues today) has been a near daily source of overwhelming joy for my wife and I.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

@ DougS what's her style and what college is she studying at? Encourage her positively w/all your heart and also impart to her the reality of wanting to be a musician in today's era.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
@ DougS what's her style and what college is she studying at? Encourage her positively w/all your heart and also impart to her the reality of wanting to be a musician in today's era.
Thanks for the advise. For sure she is well aware of the difficulties/challenges in the music business. Knowing this, it was certainly a difficult decision for her to go down this path. But its her calling. And if you can't follow your dreams when you're young - when can you?

She's in her first year at Berklee College of Music in Boston. She does mostly Pop (sometimes Blues & Jazz). I recently posted one of her songs in the Chandler REDD Mic thread here on Gearslutz.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

@ DougS both she and her voice are beautiful.
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Maniac

I have been thinking about this subject every day. I have my first child on the way so every time I listen to music or work on music I wonder if some day I can be that father listening through the door. My childhood consisted of small musical moments that were few and far between that eventually lead me to teaching myself most of what I know and while I have a lot of skill in many areas of music I don't have the lifelong playing experience I wish I had. Having a child that feels the way I do about music and learning from my wife and I then going on to do better than we ever have is a moment I would give anything for. However, I would also never push my child to make music if it's not something they enjoy. So I sometimes wonder if I have already thought about it too much. I saw this subject and have been thinking about it so much I had to post. Thanks for sharing your story I loved it and will definitely be showing my wife since she loves anything involving kids and music. Especially when there is video included. I personally think you may have a lifelong musician on your hands because he isn't singing a song... He's performing it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search