The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SoundCloud can now distribute your music to Spotify, Apple Music and other services
Old 20th February 2019
SoundCloud can now distribute your music to Spotify, Apple Music and other services

As a small selfpublishing musician/producer, I have been using tunecore (TuneCore: Sell Your Music Online - Digital Music Distribution) to send my releases to the big streaming services.
The cost is kind of high, you pay $10/year for each song released, and there is a one time fee of another $10 if you want to get your music spread to new future streaming platforms.

So, SoundCloud just announced that they will act as a music distributor in the future: Spotify - SoundCloud

Around $100 per year for an unlimited amount of releases sounds pretty good!

Drawback seems to be that you can only enter this program if you have 1000 play per month...

What do you think about this?
Old 21st February 2019
Not hearing a whole lot of enthusiasm for it thus far, the 1000 plays/mo. being the kicker. Who knows, maybe they'll sell them on the downlow package, too.
Old 7th March 2019
Deleted fcbdeac
I am about to post a thread regarding distribution myself, but did a search first and found this one..

$100/yr + minimum of 1000 plays per month? That is totally ridiculous. First of all, placing music on Spotify is 100% free. Second, its no secret that Soundcloud has been struggling for years and years, looking for a big payday buyout, monetizing content etc., and how they've really fudged up the user experience, makes it a bad option, if not the worst option available in 2019.

If all you want to do is get your music on streaming services (personally, I need more options available), there are several 100% through and through free options available today. They hit all of the most popular streaming sites. Then there are many that wont charge anything up front, but take a percentage of royalties, most are like 10-20%. All of the other distribution platforms that charge per release, per year, per extras etc., and will immediately remove your content once you miss a payment, are a ripoff in my opinion.

Then there are platforms like Awal, which are boutique in the sense that they pick and choose who to distribute, like a popularity contest rather than based on the actual music. They also take 15% of royalties. Awal's suggested requirements are fun reading ( AWAL | What We Look for in an AWAL Member ) .. they ask that prospective artists already have in place - high quality original and unique music, large fan base, notable social media presence and follower/likes, press coverage in magazines, blogs, newspapers etc., TV/film placements, manager, booker, lawyer, promoter, PR, radio play, publisher.... So in a nutshell, they want very well established, popular brands already earning.. basically, famous artists only. Artist does all of the work and they make money. LOL

Anyway. Once again, If all you want to do is get your music on streaming services, there are several 100% through and through free options available today, so I'd check those out first.

Good luck.
Old 8th March 2019
Thank you, Deleted fcbdeac, for your insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted fcbdeac View Post
there are several 100% through and through free options available today
Can you point me in the right direction here? I know about the platforms which take a percentage (e.g. Sell Your Music Worldwide | CD Baby), but a completely free one?
Old 9th March 2019
Deleted fcbdeac
Last I heard, Spotify has a free direct upload service, bypassing distribution altogether.. if that is all you want. I personally dont use Spotify and wont be placing any of my music there simply because of the amount of damage the owners of that company have done to the entire music industry. But thats another conversation.

Anyway. These are two totally free distributors, but as far as I have found they are only for streaming rather than streaming and stores like Beatport etc. They say they will be adding more stores but who knows.

Free music distribution | Upload your music online - Amuse

Music Kickup
Old 11th March 2019
Thanks - I will check them out!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search