The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1971 was 'The golden year' for popular music? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1st February 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

1971 was 'The golden year' for popular music?

The advent of the 70s brought with it a cascade of creativity and change, the significance and influence of which can never be repeated....'Popular music' peaked during this decade..... True or false?
Old 1st February 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 

Agreed
Old 1st February 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
True or false?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Agreed
I agree that it's either True or False ...or C) None Of The Above

There definitely was some excellent popular [sic] music made during the 1970s, you'd be nuts to argue against that. But not sure I want to go so far as to say pop music "peaked" during that decade. There's an equally compelling argument to be made for nearly any other decade prior

...and possibly even one decade subsequent. Maybe...
Old 1st February 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I agree that it's either True or False ...or C) None Of The Above

There definitely was some excellent popular [sic] music made during the 1970s, you'd be nuts to argue against that. But not sure I want to go so far as to say pop music "peaked" during that decade. There's an equally compelling argument to be made for nearly any other decade prior

...and possibly even one decade subsequent. Maybe...
So are you saying that the 'peak' was prior to 1970? or post 1970?....or that it has yet to happen?

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the peak decade was the 70s....by the end of that decade all precedents had been set....even the march of technology has not stretched musical boundaries significantly.
Old 1st February 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
didlisquat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post

...and possibly even one decade subsequent. Maybe...
Old 2nd February 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

DISCLAIMER:

This thread is the result of drinking a bottle of 'Chateau Cheval Blanc' whilst listening to 'Harvest' by Neil Young'

Presently I have half a bottle of 'Remy Martin XO' in my right hand, and a copy of 'Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches' by The Happy Mondays in my left hand......Speak later.
Old 2nd February 2019
  #7
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Any year that gives you "Live at Fillmore East" and "Who's Next" is pretty golden in my book.
Old 2nd February 2019
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

False. It was 1973.
Old 2nd February 2019
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
False. It was 1973.
Good rock year, for sure.
Old 2nd February 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
False. It was 1973.
That WAS a good year..........But 'Tapestry' 'What's Going On' 'Hunky Dory' 'There's a Riot Goin' On' and 'Sticky Fingers' ALONE pull me back to '71......and of course 'Harvest'
Old 3rd February 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
So are you saying that the 'peak' was prior to 1970? or post 1970?....or that it has yet to happen?
I'm saying that there are multiple peaks, not just one

...and that it's all just subjective, at least by any metric that popular music fans are likely to embrace.
Old 3rd February 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'm saying that there are multiple peaks, not just one

...and that it's all just subjective, at least by any metric that popular music fans are likely to embrace.
Multiple peaks?....There can only be one 'Peak' surely?

I am suggesting, rightly or wrongly, that the 1970s produced more unprecedented benchmark artists/albums,singles (in many genres) than any other decade.

I'm not saying that music was better then, or greater then......I just said what I said and it was wrong, or it was taken wrong, and now it's all this....etc etc
Old 3rd February 2019
  #13
My impression is that for every generation born, there's an impressionable period on the mind as one grows up. Music is a great part of it as it imprints and is associated with one's memories. When we listen to music, feelings and emotions are invoked that takes us back in time. We reminisce and thus the "Golden Year" is formed, whether for popular music or any other genre.
Old 3rd February 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
My impression is that for every generation born, there's an impressionable period on the mind as one grows up. Music is a great part of it as it imprints and is associated with one's memories. When we listen to music, feelings and emotions are invoked that takes us back in time. We reminisce and thus the "Golden Year" is formed, whether for popular music or any other genre.
Yes, nostalgia plays a big part.....however, being the age I am, I could easily be nostalgic about the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s...and to some degree I am.

Look at the artists and albums the 70s produced though.....Bowie, Roxy Music, T Rex, New York Dolls, Talking Heads.....Lou Reed, 'Transformer'....Marvin Gaye released 'What's Going On'.....Stevie Wonder hit the heights with 'Talking Book' and 'Innervisions'....Earth Wind and Fire came along and pretty much redefined black R n B on their way to becoming one of the biggest bands of the decade....The folk scene was also inspiring.... Carole King, CSN&Y, James Taylor....The Eagles, Jackson Browne...The whole 'L.A. thing'
Led Zep 3 was released, then they became the biggest live band in the world....this, in turn, changed the way bands toured, venues became bigger and bigger....we had the advent and rise of 'prog rock' with 'Yes' and 'Genesis'....Pink Floyd 'Dark Side Of The Moon'
...THEN the whole 'Punk' movement was born, then 'Post Punk'. The influence that this had ALONE was huge......I could go on and on and on.....So many acts in so many genres that I don't have time to mention.

Obviously other decades have produced great artists (Prince in the 80s springs to mind) and albums, but IMO none so prolifically, or definitively as the 70s...'71 being the key year....Just my opinion of course.
Old 3rd February 2019
  #15
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
False. It was 1973.
I've always thought that 1973 was a great year for music also, look at the albums that were released that year:

Dark Side of the Moon, PF
Houses of the Holy, LZ
Quadrophenia, The Who
Fresh, Sly Stone
Let's Get it On, Marvin Gaye
Alladin Sane, David Bowie
Lynyrd Skynyrd, first album
Greetings from Asbury Park, Bruce Springsteen

Of course just about any year in the early 70's had a ton of classic albums so I guess it's hard to pick just one
Old 4th February 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Yes, nostalgia plays a big part.....however, being the age I am, I could easily be nostalgic about the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s...
I believe what SynthGuru was alluding to was the research in neuroscience that has concluded that at a certain age your brain is particularly malleable to the phenomenon of popular music getting imprinted in your subconscious...in which case, no, you could not be equally "nostalgic" for music about four discrete decades. There's one decade -- or short span of years -- for which we are all predisposed to be especially aware of, and it's generally the music which corresponds to our formative years, early- to mid-adolescence. iirc Daniel J. Levitin is the most well-known author to elaborate on this theory.
Old 4th February 2019
  #17
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
... it's generally the music which corresponds to our formative years, early- to mid-adolescence..
I know a lot of people for whom "their music" came later, generally corresponding to when they first moved out, went off to college, went in the service, etc.

When I met my wife, for instance, she had nearly zero awareness of any pop music before she moved away from home. But everything on the radio from that moment to about ten years later became permanently imprinted.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 4th February 2019 at 09:09 PM..
Old 4th February 2019
  #18
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean8877 View Post
I've always thought that 1973 was a great year for music also, look at the albums that were released that year:

Dark Side of the Moon, PF
Houses of the Holy, LZ
Quadrophenia, The Who
Fresh, Sly Stone
Let's Get it On, Marvin Gaye
Alladin Sane, David Bowie
Lynyrd Skynyrd, first album
Greetings from Asbury Park, Bruce Springsteen

Of course just about any year in the early 70's had a ton of classic albums so I guess it's hard to pick just one
And

Solid Air, John Martyn
Innervisions, Stevie Wonder
and and and and .....and fekkin Lynyrd Skynyrd
Old 4th February 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

1977:
Steely Dan, Aja
Eagles, Hotel California
Fleetwood Mac, Rumours
Stevie Wonder, SITKOL
Weather Report, Heavy Weather
EW&F, All 'n All
Marvin Gaye, Live at the London Palladium
Boz Scaggs, Silk Degrees
Heatwave, Too Hot to Handle
Commodores, Commodores
Old 4th February 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Surprised no one mentioned yet, David Hepworth's brilliant book...

"1971:Never A Dull Moment" Essential reading.

Chris
Old 4th February 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
For me this is essentially true becuase I got to spent so many nights at the Fillmore East. Over all, the music between 1965 and 1973 was where my favorites come from.

It was such a creative time and so many bands came out of it and they sounded different from each other.

Then after about 1973 things atrted to sound like everything else - copies of copies instead of copies being turned into something new.

Now, this is my opinion and I am not suggesting this is factual but it is my experience.
Old 5th February 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 

UK+US+Euro people are circa 1billion summed together.
Just 1/7 of the whole World.
So you know what was good in UK-US-Euro charts... but, who knows what was the Chinese Music in that particular moment or in India, Brazil, Mexico, Pakistan, Indonesia, Russia...

Maybe there is a Pakistani band that rocks way more than Led Zeppelin 4
Old 5th February 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi777 View Post
Maybe there is a Pakistani band that rocks way more than Led Zeppelin 4
Yes there was, and his name was Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.
Old 5th February 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
And how can people who weren't alive in 1971 make a determination of "peak music" ?
Damn... if only there were a way to document musical performances that happened in 1971 so that younger people could actually listen to them, hmm...
Old 5th February 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Damn... if only there were a way to document musical performances that happened in 1971 so that younger people could actually listen to them, hmm...
First must master cutting an avocado without incident, and then possibly eating cereal out of a bowl using real utensils, possibly doing dishes afterwards...baby steps you know.

But seriously, listening to ancient music would seriously cut into Fortnite time, you know...
Old 5th February 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 

1971 was also the year of Clockwork Orange, A French Connection.
Old 5th February 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
But seriously folks, the people who actually "care" about musical "performance" are different from the people who use music to add to, or enhance their quality of life. The people who buy records For their "performances" are different from the people who like a song cause it has "a good beat and I can dance to it".
Why are these mutually exclusive concepts?

For many people in the 70s, music was an integral part of their lives, as much as it is now for many currently as well.

In the 70s, there was an expectation of both good performances and "it has a good beat and I can dance to it". I don't think that aesthetics and expectations are that much different today than it was in the 70s.
Old 5th February 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I believe what SynthGuru was alluding to was the research in neuroscience that has concluded that at a certain age your brain is particularly malleable to the phenomenon of popular music getting imprinted in your subconscious...in which case, no, you could not be equally "nostalgic" for music about four discrete decades. There's one decade -- or short span of years -- for which we are all predisposed to be especially aware of, and it's generally the music which corresponds to our formative years, early- to mid-adolescence. iirc Daniel J. Levitin is the most well-known author to elaborate on this theory.
And it is just that, a theory.......and I know myself better than Daniel J. Levitin knows me, so I know that I can feel nostalgia related to four separate decades.

Maybe Dan can't, but I can.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
idee und klang / So Much Gear, So Little Time
2
ssyniu / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump