The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Research papers
Old 16th December 2018
Here for the gear

Research papers

Did you like to write them during your studying?
Old 24th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seras View Post
I had no problem with writing essays in college. It served a purpose. Writing formal essays in college puts a polish on your communication skills that will last the rest of your life. Whether you're writing objectively or persuasively, writing essays, especially in difficult subjects, teaches you how to present your viewpoint in a logical manner that readers can digest. Just as importantly, you learn how to avoid rambling screeds.
Old 25th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seras View Post
"Research" papers, specifically? No. All that library time (pre-internet), all those footnotes and citations, and all you end up with is a Greatest Hits of stuff that other people said and wrote.

Papers and presentations that didn't involve that, whole 'nother story. I loved them and I was good at it.
Old 26th December 2018
Gear Guru

I'm still new to the college experience, but writing is my favorite part
Old 26th December 2018
Great site to practice writing.
Old 29th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
"Research" papers, specifically? No. All that library time (pre-internet), all those footnotes and citations, and all you end up with is a Greatest Hits of stuff that other people said and wrote.
A funny chap I used to know - and liked - drunkenly proclaimed at a party a few years ago, "I could write a dissertation on why men don't have to work no more." In my mind, I could easily see what his idea of a "dissertation" would actually look like: a large paragraph of disjointed, semi-literate ramblings full of intellectual misfires and conclusory, circular reasoning, scrawled on a sheet of paper in a chicken-scratch hand that would never be read by anyone — because despite his passion for his opinion(s), he lacked the courage to tackle a serious attempt at formal essay writing, especially if it meant submitting his work for a critique by some A-hole professor for a binding letter grade.

That's party dissertations for you. But it illustrates how and why writing papers in college for letter grades year after year can set a person apart.

If the only thing to consider about college research papers is the relative worth of the end product, I would agree about the greatest hits. But the point of the undergraduate exercise - and having to repeat it over and over, class after class - is greater than the value of the essay itself. All that time spent researching subjects teaches a student how to conduct formal research, how to get answers, and how to prove your point, rather than just making sweeping, unsubstantiated claims. It teaches you how to distinguish relevant information from the irrelevant, and to cull together info from a variety of sources in order to present a distilled analysis from the sum of the source material. It's hard to place a value on it, but it translates to skills that go far beyond the study of the subjects themselves. Effective communication skills can make a difference in any career, even the trades. Moreover, subjecting your work to the critique of a professor is where higher education really begins. Finding out what you did wrong can be agonizing at times, but you can sure learn from it.

To the OP: just do it. Don't look back. You won't regret your education.
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Guru

Sure. But the OP asked if we "liked" doing it. A yes/no question. I didn't.
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Guru

I'm not sure my research and writing really reached the level of "papers", whatever that means (it sounds PHD-ish), but I enjoyed most of it with the exception of having a deadline. That said, I probably would have failed had there been no deadline.

I agree with 9xSound completely.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm still new to the college experience, but writing is my favorite part
I just finished my last class for my associate's last week, so I'm midway through the four-year experience now. (I'm taking some time off before I go back next year.) It really depends on the subject. If a professor gives you carte blanche then yeah, it can be fun exploring and learning new things not mentioned in your textbook. Even the ones that are limited to a couple subjects/prompts usually aren't too bad. The ones I dread are where the professor gives you an exactly specific thing you have to write about, especially if it's something you can answer, but you know you don't need three pages to give a detailed answer. For instance, as much as I loved literature classes, being forced to write about "Heart of Darkness" for the second time in two years really freaking sucks, especially since it's the number one most written about work of fiction ever (Bloom 19). There just isn't anything new you can say about the book that hasn't been said a million times, and that's disheartening.

Works Cited:

Bloom, Harold, ed. (2009). Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Infobase Publishing. ISBN 978-1438117102.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear