The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vaping increases the quality of my life
Old 20th October 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Vaping increases the quality of my life

Close friends know, I changed from tobacco to vaping on New Year's 2013, but it was too late. I was already going into heart failure and a month later had to have heart stents put in. As I came out of surgery in the recovery room, I dragged on an eCig and the cardiologist who worked on me said "no more tobacco" and I said "got it".

The first couple years of vaping were kind of expensive. But no longer - it's about 50 cents per day for all the vaping I can stand. The flavor is off the charts good.

In fact I both want to make friends here aware there's a great alternative to smoking and from that point on, show it's like mixing all over again.

For instance, I love good tobacco flavor. And right now I'm vaping my own tobacco blend that's that's got the grassiness of Tennessee tobacco along with the punch of Kentucky tobacco and the sweet caramel dessert of Carolina tobacco, all in one puff. I tune my nicotine low because I can puff for a long time.

But this is like sound mixing! Of those three flavors I mentioned the Kentucky is mid-forward, the Tennessee the highs and the Carolina the lower mids and that Abbey Road compressor that's honey drizzling over maple syrup or something

So if you're in the States and want solid advice where to get the best eJuice and know I get nothing for telling you this - serious - try:

E-Liquid | DIY Vaping Supplies | NicVape

Tell you about my special Menthol next... that's all i like though, tobacco and menthol.
* There's one I can't stand, Havana tobacco and my "honest" review shows I'm no shill
Old 20th October 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 

Me too I love the 92% strawberry sativa.
Old 20th October 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
You are insane. Vaping is as toxic as tobacco. And its horribly stinky.

Ive never heard the phrase "Sweet Caramel" used in the same sentence as Tobacco. Tobacco tastes like ammonia, carbon monoxide, acetone, hydrogen cyanide, and nicotine.

I can smell your foul nicotine vapor across the internet. Stop doing it....
I bet you can`t smell mine. 1 small toke and you`re good.
Old 20th October 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Is Vaping Bad For You? Health Risks & Safety Compared to Smoking

Tell the doc we said hi when you inevitably end up back in the hospital - possibly in an oxygen tent, if not hospice.

smh
Old 20th October 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Is Vaping Bad For You? Health Risks & Safety Compared to Smoking

Tell the doc we said hi when you inevitably end up back in the hospital - possibly in an oxygen tent, if not hospice.

smh
First of all, WebMD is the BOSE of medical journals. I almost died because the information in WebMD concerning symptoms of the heart problem I had were wrong at the time. They may as well have articles on Reefer Madness with a wildman playing the piano.

So no I don't believe this us anywhere near as dangerous as combustion tobacco in a fire-safe wrapper which is carpet glue. It's 3,999 less toxins than the combustion of tobacco in a cigarette.
As for the chemicals in recreating tobacco or other flavors, no I disagree - there's safer substitutes for a lot of things. I can't speak for what chemicals are in some flavors out in the marketplace, but mine are said to be natural.

Some of you negative types I'm replying to, first of all realize your music is probably horrible anyway. I didn't post this to replace your moral authority. I know when something is healthier for my body and I like the art of flavoring basically the same stuff as a band's fog machine. If you weren't born inhaling 2nd hand smoke since the crib then you can't relate to me.
Old 20th October 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
First of all, WebMD is the BOSE of medical journals. I almost died because the information in WebMD concerning symptoms of the heart problem I had were wrong at the time. They may as well have articles on Reefer Madness with a wildman playing the piano.
Believe that if it makes you happy.

Quote:
So no I don't believe this us anywhere near as dangerous as combustion tobacco
Playing Russian roulette probably isn't as dangerous as jumping off of a cliff either. That doesn't make it a good idea.

Quote:
As for the chemicals in recreating tobacco or other flavors, no I disagree - there's safer substitutes for a lot of things. I can't speak for what chemicals are in some flavors out in the marketplace, but mine are said to be natural.
You mean like Formaldehyde? FYI that is "natural."

Quote:
Some of you negative types I'm replying to, first of all realize your music is probably horrible anyway.
Even if true, that's relevant because.....

Dude it's your life. ........or death, if you prefer to enhance those chances. Ultimately it's your choice. You can spin doctor it however you want, but I suspect you know that deep down vaping is not exactly a great health choice. If you wish to pretend otherwise to get your "fix," again, your life, your call. PS I'm not looking down on you at all btw. I just think it's sad and wish you'd stop kidding yourself make the tough but better choice and avoid that crap altogether. Yes it would no doubt be hard, as giving anything up is hard, but your life is worth it. Don't you think?
Old 20th October 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Believe that if it makes you happy.

Playing Russian roulette probably isn't as dangerous as jumping off of a cliff either. That doesn't make it a good idea.

You mean like Formaldehyde? FYI that is "natural."

Even if true, that's relevant because.....

Dude it's your life. ........or death, if you prefer to enhance those chances. Ultimately it's your choice. You can spin doctor it however you want, but I suspect you know that deep down vaping is not exactly a great health choice. If you wish to pretend otherwise to get your "fix," again, your life, your call. PS I'm not looking down on you at all btw. I just think it's sad and wish you'd stop kidding yourself make the tough but better choice and avoid that crap altogether. Yes it would no doubt be hard, as giving anything up is hard, but your life is worth it. Don't you think?
I'm calling you out on that one, to prove which vaping flavors have the same chemical as anti freeze, or which flavors have formaldehyde.

First of all, WebMD is thinking Ethylene Glycol when it mentions antifreeze - Propylene Glycol isn't the same thing. PG is same thing as the Fog machine bands use, and it's in thousands of food items already.
Quote:

Propylene Glycol (Inactive Ingredient) - Drugs.com
Propylene glycol (CH8O2) is a commonly used drug solubilizer in topical, oral, and injectable medications. It is used as stabilizer for vitamins, and as a water-miscible cosolvent. [1] Propylene glycol has been used for over 50 years in a large variety of applications. As a pharmaceutical additive
Vegetable Glycerin is the other major chemical in eJuice and goes without saying is also in all manner of food items.


bill5 I have to admit, you've really gotten under my skin with these fables! Would you please mind telling me which eJuices from the place I specified uses Formaldehyde?

I've lowered my nicotine % so far down it's more aromatherapy for me, but vaping is awesome and I hope to hear from other enthusiasts who came off the tobacco like i did. I feel a lot better.
Old 20th October 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 

I really don't give AF what people do in the privacy of their own home (and with other consenting adults, depending on what we are talking about ;-)), and sure if vaping does something for you, why would any of us care? What bothers me is you seem to get really defensive when other people do not agree with you about vaping. I would never go out and suggest to strangers its a "great" alternative to smoking, especially being that I am not a medical professional and can no way calculate how vape usage could impact someone else's body. I can only remain skeptical until we see long term effects (cigarettes were not only healthy but "great" for you at one point in history). And I wouldn't dispute that there are environmental factors in some parts of the country/world that are just as bad as or worse than cigarettes. And in perspective, life is short so who am I to deny someone else the things they enjoy?

Something I've noticed as a human being is that "in moderation" a lot of things are okay (though not always "great" for you) and things enjoyed in excess often have undesirable consequences. Not to pick on your habits specifically (as I have no way of knowing the frequency of your usage), the way I have observed most vape-users (vapers?) puff their wizard stick generally falls into the second category...not as a straight cigarette replacement, but as a near constant (exceeding chain smoking) pacifier. While that is probably no worse for you than smoking cigarettes chronically, I wouldn't fool myself into believing that it was somehow a safe alternative.

YMMV of course, just don't push it on others.
Old 20th October 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
People vaping at live shows are the new fog machines. Rent them out!!
Old 20th October 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
I still challenge any of you downers to prove vaping is bad! I don't care if you have bad attitudes or accuse me of "pushing it" on someone else or claiming I need a pacifier.

Either change your diaper or have your facts ready, because over-generalizing vaping as evil makes you look paranoid and is no substitute for facts.

Fact is: tastes great, feels good, costs little!
Old 21st October 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
I still challenge any of you downers to prove vaping is bad! I don't care if you have bad attitudes or accuse me of "pushing it" on someone else or claiming I need a pacifier.

Either change your diaper or have your facts ready, because over-generalizing vaping as evil makes you look paranoid and is no substitute for facts.

Fact is: tastes great, feels good, costs little!

For someone that “doesn’t care” you sure get worked up over nothing. Probably should watch that if you don’t want to suffer another (?) heart attack. Or switch your fog juice to something a little more mellow.

Honestly something tells me that you are one of those people that wouldn’t listen to facts if you were presented with them. You did smoke cigarettes for an extended period of time, didn’t you?
Old 21st October 2018
  #12
Vaping sounds like fun and it looks kool, but it's bad JUJU for the lungs.

Old 21st October 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
The bottom line is that it is a cessation product that you've replaced cigarettes with.

It will never be better for you than no longer inhaling chemicals.
Old 21st October 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Vaping sounds like fun and it looks kool, but it's bad JUJU for the lungs.

I would argue whether that looks cool or not
Old 21st October 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

I find vaping way more of an irritant to my lungs. I smoke cigs and weed without any problem.
Old 21st October 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
I still challenge any of you downers to prove vaping is bad! I don't care if you have bad attitudes or accuse me of "pushing it" on someone else or claiming I need a pacifier.

Either change your diaper or have your facts ready, because over-generalizing vaping as evil makes you look paranoid and is no substitute for facts.

Fact is: tastes great, feels good, costs little!
The jury is still out on vaping.

It's commonly accepted by medical professionals that it is less harmful than smoking so it is better in that sense. Still not good for you at all and yes formaldehyde is inhaled when vaping these liquids. There have been numerous studies so maybe start informing yourself better. Popcorn lung is very real too.

I use a vape to smoke less cigarettes. 6mg seems to be the sweet spot for me and I do notice the health benefits, mainly oral health.

Treat it like a stepping stone, you may find yourself back in hospital if you overdo it. You can quit nicotine if you really want to. In my case I don't want to, I enjoy smoking and understand the repercussions.
Old 21st October 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
I sure appreciate the higher quality tone you guys are taking this. And I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on what you've brought up.

1. Meh to Clouds: No I'm not one of those people with a 200 watt unit that produces clouds like the guy blowing smoke rings. It's a passing fad and is an irreversable rite of passage with youth unless something else is cooler. I'm old school from another time and use the utilitarian vaping pen and it replaces an addiction my dad and grandfather had.

2. Mixing: I don't mix vaping with tobacco use. That has got to be real bad for kids and others me thinks. I just don't think the liver is having fun figuring out which form of nicotine its breaking down. When I switched to vaping that was it - not so much had a puff of a cigarette. I've had two dreams where I was offered a vape or cigarette and I chose a vape.

And in conclusion I'm more an amazed old schooler whose health is pretty good after five years of this and I can't speak about fads or immoral companies who use bad chemicals.
Old 21st October 2018
  #18
Hey, Joey. Can't say that I'm into vaping tobacco, but your depiction of the tobacco trio in the original post was pretty amusing. And to be frank, all of my best songs were written after smoking weed, so let 'er rip. Rock and roll, my man.
Old 21st October 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
I sure appreciate the higher quality tone you guys are taking this. And I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on what you've brought up.

1. Meh to Clouds: No I'm not one of those people with a 200 watt unit that produces clouds like the guy blowing smoke rings. It's a passing fad and is an irreversable rite of passage with youth unless something else is cooler. I'm old school from another time and use the utilitarian vaping pen and it replaces an addiction my dad and grandfather had.

2. Mixing: I don't mix vaping with tobacco use. That has got to be real bad for kids and others me thinks. I just don't think the liver is having fun figuring out which form of nicotine its breaking down. When I switched to vaping that was it - not so much had a puff of a cigarette. I've had two dreams where I was offered a vape or cigarette and I chose a vape.

And in conclusion I'm more an amazed old schooler whose health is pretty good after five years of this and I can't speak about fads or immoral companies who use bad chemicals.
It's not about "bad" companies. The process of vaporizing these liquids at high temperatures produces formaldehyde. It doesn't matter what juice you use or what style vape you use. While considered carcinogenic it is not acutely toxic.

Most e juices on the market still contain Diacetyl which can cause popcorn lung. The general consensus is the amounts are so small it is probably of no harm. But directly inhaling Diacetyl is a huge risk and there is a lack of research into how much harm e cigs are causing.

Freshproduce hit it on the head. This is a cessation product not intended for long term use and the best option is to not inhale anything. Vapers have always been a bit of a joke because being uninformed is a common thread amongst them.

If our governments were interested in our wellbeing there would be a lot more research into e cigs but there won't be because tobacco revenue is too essential.
Old 22nd October 2018
  #20
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
...
Most e juices on the market still contain Diacetyl which can cause popcorn lung. The general consensus is the amounts are so small it is probably of no harm. But directly inhaling Diacetyl is a huge risk and there is a lack of research into how much harm e cigs are causing....
Diacetyl is "popcorn butter flavor" and I don't vape popcorn butter flavor. I hope you realize ignorance like this contributes to the problems where people stay on the tobacco.

So again I'm asking you which "most ejuices on the market contain Diacetyl?" Did Alex Jones spoon feed you that? I don't see your "facts" anywhere else!

You all might live longer than me, but with such a poor attitude I wonder if that can be called living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9xSound View Post
Hey, Joey. Can't say that I'm into vaping tobacco, but your depiction of the tobacco trio in the original post was pretty amusing. And to be frank, all of my best songs were written after smoking weed, so let 'er rip. Rock and roll, my man.
Greetz! Here in Michigan my absentee ballot is filled out and turned in weeks early for a certain initiative Nov 6. If that fails, Canada is pretty close and I'll feel good paying with money that has the Queen of England on it . Just in time! Love your avatar by the way
Old 22nd October 2018
  #21
Gear Head
 
coso's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
Vaping is as toxic as tobacco.


Quote:
Although it is not possible to estimate the long-term health risks associated with e-cigarettes precisely, the available data suggest that they are unlikely to exceed 5% of those associated with smoked tobacco products, and may well be substantially lower than this figure.
From a 2016 report by the Royal College of Physicians - Promote e-cigarettes widely as substitute for smoking says new RCP report | RCP London

Old 22nd October 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Diacetyl is "popcorn butter flavor" and I don't vape popcorn butter flavor. I hope you realize ignorance like this contributes to the problems where people stay on the tobacco.

So again I'm asking you which "most ejuices on the market contain Diacetyl?" Did Alex Jones spoon feed you that? I don't see your "facts" anywhere else!

You all might live longer than me, but with such a poor attitude I wonder if that can be called living?
You're actually taking facts presented to you personally and feeling the need to insult me?

Quote:
"The new tests looked at one hundred and fifty nine e liquid refills, a mixture of different flavours from thirty six manufacturers and across six separate countries. The aim of the test was to assess whether Diacetyl was present in these e liquids and to measure how much of it if so e smokers would be likely to inhale everyday. He based findings on an average e liquid usage of 3ml per person per day.

He did find that 75% of the sweeter flavoured e liquids tested contained Diacetyl and despite this only being in small amounts it is not great news. That said Dr Farsalinos did comment that while Diacetyl was found in a large amount of tested sweet flavoured e liquids and at levels which he felt were higher than established safety limits that he felt that despite this smoking these e liquids did pose a significantly lower health risk than tobacco smoking."
That's directly from a site that sells E liquid. It is not biased or the view of anybody against vaping.

Like I said, do some research on what you're preaching. I've presented you with only facts and not propaganda. At no point did I make any attempt to insult you.

This is why "vapers" get ridiculed. They're so caught up in what they're selling themselves that they can't even use a search engine to research what they're dumping in their lungs.

PS

This is the liquid I choose to vape, it does not contain Diacetyl:



You should check to find out if the liquid you use does. If you cannot figure out how to do that, provide me with the brand/names and I'll do it for you.
Old 3rd March 2019
  #23
Vaping still contains Nicotine which has been proven to be a carcinogen.

Nicotine = Bad JuJu!
Old 3rd March 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Vaping still contains Nicotine which has been proven to be a carcinogen.

Nicotine = Bad JuJu!
If you have a link I'd be shocked, as I'd never heard that before.


Nicotine Itself Isn't The Real Villain

Moreover I've never felt so good as I do with over five years tobacco free and nothing but clean vaping, and tasty flavors as well. Super happy.
Old 3rd March 2019
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
If you have a link I'd be shocked, as I'd never heard that before.


Nicotine Itself Isn't The Real Villain

Moreover I've never felt so good as I do with over five years tobacco free and nothing but clean vaping, and tasty flavors as well. Super happy.
Here's a couple of links from the New England Journal of Medicine. I think you have to subscribe to their site to read the entire report.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1814130

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1613869
Old 4th March 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Here's a couple of links from the New England Journal of Medicine. I think you have to subscribe to their site to read the entire report.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1814130

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1613869
There's no mention in the abstract and yes you do need a payment method to continue.

Now if the New England Journal of Medicine (that is the believable one and not WebMD) says Nicotine in and of itself causes increased cancer risk that would be broadcast on every headline of every publication and news broadcast.

If I haven't been clear about this, my life would have ended 5 years ago if I didn't change to vaping, and the Cardiologist who put $100,000 worth of jewelry into my heart said tobacco = bad and vaping = dunno just don't use tobacco...

I know of many people who eased their nicotine down until now it's just glycerin and flavor for them. Eventually I might do that but for now I really like the nicotine.

But if it turns out nicotine causes cancer the world's news headlines will change from that moment forward. I suspect New England Journal of Medicine is going to say if a person is hooked on nicotine they'll go back to tobacco if their vape runs out and tobacco is cancer bait.

It's a middle ground and I can only imagine my dad and grandfather would love vaping if they were around.
Old 5th March 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
There are a few clubs in town that are banning smoke machines. Maybe I will start a rental company and rent out vaping dudes for shows in lieu of smoke machines. Any takers?
Old 25th April 2019
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I find vaping way more of an irritant to my lungs. I smoke cigs and weed without any problem.
Agree with you.
Old 26th April 2019
  #29
Here's a fact-check from Associated Press (on the Snopes site) that draws from multiple sources. While it doesn't come to any sweeping conclusions, it highlights current understanding, and a few key points may well be important to current cigarette smokers, among them that:

"Switching completely from traditional cigarettes to e-cigarettes significantly reduces exposure to numerous cancer-causing chemicals." That said, e-cigarettes do not by any means get a clean bill of health.

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2018/01/23...not-clear-yet/


If I have come away from the greater debate (elsewhere) with any conclusions it is that: While e-cigarettes seem to be less risky than cigarettes -- with their known deadly risks -- I don't think anyone who is not already addicted to to cigarettes/nicotine should start vaping e-cigarettes. It seems an especially dire risk for naive teenagers, for whom the risks of addiction and other negative health consequences are generally deemed higher -- and for whom the stats show a much higher risk of starting smoking conventional cigarettes after vaping tobacco.

FWIW, I used to smoke tobacco but was not nearly as addicted as most longtime smokers. Smoking basically killed my own father -- who got hooked on free smokes to the GIs in WWII -- though he went to seemingly epic lengths trying to quit; it was only after he was diagnosed with mouth cancer the first time he was able to quit for good; sadly, though they thought they nailed that, more pervasive cancers emerged a few years later in his mouth, throat, and lungs. I'm not a fan of tobacco -- or the tobacco industry.

Last edited by theblue1; 26th April 2019 at 11:35 PM..
Old 26th April 2019
  #30
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
While e-cigarettes seem to be less risky than cigarettes -- with their known deadly risks -- I don't think anyone who is not already addicted to to cigarettes/nicotine should start smoking e-cigarettes. It seems an especially dire risk for naive teenagers, for whom the risks of addiction and other negative health consequences are generally deemed higher -- and for whom the stats show a much higher risk of starting smoking conventional cigarettes after vaping tobacco.
I'd imagine a lot of teens vape for the nicotine buzz, and also to be "cool". I think young people are generally curious, and most need to try things out on their own, and it goes without saying they're easily swayed by peer pressure. Unfortunately, they've no idea about the addictive element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
FWIW, I used to smoke tobacco but was not nearly as addicted as most longtime smokers. Smoking basically killed my own father -- who got hooked on free smokes to the GIs in WWII -- though he went to seemingly epic lengths trying to quit; it was only after he was diagnosed with mouth cancer the first time he quit; sadly, though they thought they nailed that, more pervasive cancers emerged a few years later in his mouth, throat, and lungs. I'm not a fan of tobacco -- or the tobacco industry.
Evil bastards no doubt. Though there was complicity at all levels, whether it was with the medical, advertising, media industries conspiring to dupe the public. A lot of parallels to the practices of infant formula manufacturers, especially the duplicitous marketing tactics, and also spreading its immoral practices to other parts of the world once they started to get domestically regulated.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump