The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vaping increases the quality of my life
Old 26th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I'd imagine a lot of teens vape for the nicotine buzz, and also to be "cool". I think young people are generally curious, and most need to try things out on their own, and it goes without saying they're easily swayed by peer pressure. Unfortunately, they've no idea about the addictive element.

[...]
And that's the real problem. They get the (verbal) buzz that vaping isn't as 'dangerous' as smoking and in the oversimplified binary thinking of so many people (not the least, young folks who simply do not have the same breadth of experience making them skeptical/cynical), 'the choice is clear.' =/

The best choice, of course, is just to never start using nicotine products.

The problem, of course, is that nicotine is (generally speaking) still one of the most addictive substances in the modern pharmacopoeia.
Old 26th April 2019
yep
Gear Nut

I found vaping to be helpful in quitting smoking. I think it was easier for me to transition to vaping and then to quit vaping, than it was to quit smoking directly.

I have no medical authority and cannot offer any proof, just personal experience and opinion, but I am 100% sure that vaping was much less bad for me than smoking, and was also much worse for me than not vaping.

I'll also say, for the benefit of any smokers/vapers who think that their lives might be better without nicotine: for me, life is MUCH better as a nonsmoker. Also, for me personally, the addiction and crave DID eventually go away completely. Now, if I knew were going to die tomorrow, I wouldn't smoke, because I don't want to anymore.

Everyone is different, but for me what clicked was the realization that I was smoking to alleviate a gnawing craving, and that I could cure it for an hour or so by lighting a cigarette, or I could (eventually) cure it forever by never smoking another cigarette again. I knew I didn't want to live life as a nicotine addict using willpower to deny myself a fix, I wanted to live like nonsmokers do, where it's just not part of my mental life or reality.

Now, when I see people smoking, I'm not envious nor angry nor judgemental about how they should stop, I just feel bad for them, because I know how it feels to live every day counting the number of cigs left in the pack, thinking about what time the store closes, watching the clock for the next break, making social plans and travel arrangements based on smoking policies, being afraid to ask friends to pull over on long road trips so you can stand outside and smoke in the cold to tide you over for a couple more hours...

I think maybe it was different 50 years ago when everyone smoked everywhere, all the time, but it's just not a fun way to live anymore, even if I didn't care about the cost and the health effects and the smell. I tried to quit a lot of times, but it never really took because I didn't really want to stop smoking. I mean, I wanted to save money and be healthier and not smell like an ashtray, but I also really wanted to still be able to smoke. I felt like I would have to spend a lifetime sacrificing that.

It wasn't until a switch flipped in my head, an awareness that nonsmokers don't spend a lifetime sacrificing happiness, they just don't smoke, and were almost certainly happier for it. And that if I didn't smoke, I would be a nonsmoker, and I wouldn't be giving anything up, I would be gaining that same freedom and indifference to it. It was still hard at times, but instead of feeling every day like this is never going to end, I was able to feel like every day I was a little closer to never having to think about this stuff ever again. I know that probably sounds stupid, but it's how it went for me.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
And that's the real problem. They get the (verbal) buzz that vaping isn't as 'dangerous' as smoking and in the oversimplified binary thinking of so many people (not the least, young folks who simply do not have the same breadth of experience making them skeptical/cynical)
[...]
North Carolina AG sues e-cigarette maker Juul, says it ‘downplayed’ dangers of nicotine to children
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/15/nort...g-dangers.html

"Downplayed"?

These companies would market speedballs to Girl's Scouts if they could make a dime...
Old 16th May 2019
Quote:
North Carolina AG sues e-cigarette maker Juul, says it ‘downplayed’ dangers of nicotine to children
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/15/nort...g-dangers.html

"Downplayed"?

These companies would market speedballs to Girl's Scouts if they could make a dime...
Yeah.

And let me tell you: I fear Big Cannabis is going to give us all something everyone can hate, if maybe for different reasons. The grafting of corporate greed to the noble roadside weed could well create an all new -- yet old all over again -- kind of monster.
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
And let me tell you: I fear Big Cannabis is going to give us all something everyone can hate, if maybe for different reasons. The grafting of corporate greed to the noble roadside weed could well create an all new -- yet old all over again -- kind of monster.
No doubt, but when the dust is settled, I'd imagine big pharma and the relics of the tobacco industry to have some stake in the game...just a hunch.
Old 16th May 2019
Quote:
No doubt, but when the dust is settled, I'd imagine big pharma and the relics of the tobacco industry to have some stake in the game...just a hunch.
Oh, that assumption -- that fear -- is at the heart of my statement. It's not addictive or an existential necessity -- like they like -- but it is, on the consumer side, a well developed demand -- but a market that was, until recent years, served on an informal basis by, er, mom and pop providers.
Old 16th May 2019
Quote:
Oh, that assumption -- that fear -- is at the heart of my statement. It's not addictive or an existential necessity -- like they like -- but it is, on the consumer side, a well developed demand -- but a market that was, until recent years, served on an informal basis by, er, mom and pop providers.
LOL! I love a clever post. Nice.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search