The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the Legalization of Marijuana Changing the Face of Synth Designs? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
I listen to a lot of 50's and 60's Jazz, most of it was produced on heroin.
Most? That's hardly an accurate statement, whatever it's supposed to imply. It's true there were a lot of musicians who were hooked, but to say most of 50s and 60s jazz was produced on heroin would be a highly fallacious statement, if not ignorantly pandering stereotypes.

That said, if there was one label that catered to the drug addled jazz musician, it'd be Bob Weinstock's Prestige records...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
The fact that they don't do drugs. Yes.

I don't smoke the reefer,

but I do know that the Elektron workflow is not pot friendly
Speak for yourself. Only way I learned my Elektron gear was by blazing up and getting stuck in for hours at a time.

Also, Cenk does, as he and I have discussed pot and other substances before.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Most? That's hardly an accurate statement, whatever it's supposed to imply. It's true there were a lot of musicians who were hooked, but to say most of 50s and 60s jazz was produced on heroin would be a highly fallacious statement, if not ignorantly pandering stereotypes.

That said, if there was one label that catered to the drug addled jazz musician, it'd be Bob Weinstock's Prestige records...
Lol, a majority of the jazz standards played around the world every day were by monk, miles, coltrain, Parker - all users in their peak recording years.

Art Blakey and Horace silver may not have been known for drug use, nor a few others like Ahmad Jamal, though they have their stories about playing with the above list and they indicated drugs were everywhere.

See the Ken Burns jazz documentary to learn more about the era.

Going to start my wake and bake session today with the Moog D and TO TVS, after polka dots and moonbeams.

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol, a majority of the jazz standards played around the world every day were by monk, miles, coltrain, Parker - all users in their peak recording years.

Art Blakey and Horace silver may not have been known for drug use, nor a few others like Ahmad Jamal, though they have their stories about playing with the above list and they indicated drugs were everywhere.

See the Ken Burns jazz documentary to learn more about the era.

Going to start my wake and bake session today with the Moog D and TO TVS, after polka dots and moonbeams.

Like I said, there were a lot of users, but to say most of jazz in the 50s and 60s was produced on heroin is absurd.

Miles kicked his habit in 1954, Coltrane in 1957.

I see you made a list - I'll bet I can name way more jazz musicians who were clean as opposed to not. Want to try?
Old 4 days ago
I don't think Marijuana is the design influence. People just love their happy lights and color designs.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Like I said, there were a lot of users, but to say most of jazz in the 50s and 60s was produced on heroin is absurd.

Miles kicked his habit in 1954, Coltrane in 1957.

I see you made a list - I'll bet I can name way more jazz musicians who were clean as opposed to not. Want to try?
Um miles kicked his habit a few times after that but anyways no worries, I get your point.

Try creating a jazz standards list from clean musicians, I am genuinely curious. I can name 10 by Miles and Monk in less than a minute probably.

BTW the Chet Baker take on polka dots and moonbeams was likely high as kite. And beautiful imho.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Um miles kicked his habit a few times after that but anyways no worries, I get your point.

Try creating a jazz standards list from clean musicians, I am genuinely curious. I can name 10 by Miles and Monk in less than a minute probably.

BTW the Chet Baker take on polka dots and moonbeams was likely high as kite. And beautiful imho.
Sources? Miles kicked heroin for good in '54, that's why he fired Trane in the 55-57' quintet (though everyone in that band except Miles was hooked: Trane, Philly Joe, Mr PC and Red Garland)

It's true Miles had helluva cocaine habit in the 70s.

Most jazz standards are from the great American songbook, written by clean white folk, like Jimmy Van Heusen, who wrote Polka Dots and Moonbeams.

Also, Monk was not an addict. There was one famous incident when he and Bud Powell were in a car, and Monk took the fall for Bud when cops saw some dope Powell try to get rid of. Otherwise, no, Monk was clean...do you have other sources on this?
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Sources? Miles kicked heroin for good in '54, that's why he fired Trane 55-57' quintet (though everyone in that band except Miles was hooked: Trane, Philly Joe, Mr PC and Red Garland)

It's true Miles had helluva cocaine habit in the 70s.

Most jazz standards are from the great American songbook, written by clean white folk, like Jimmy Van Heusen, who wrote Polka Dots and Moonbeams.

Also, Monk was not an addict. There was one famous incident when he and Bud Powell were in a car, and Monk took the fall for Bud when cops saw some dope Powell try to get rid of. Otherwise, no, Monk was clean...do you have other sources on this?
All that is true. Monk was barred from nyc performances over that incident and arguably should not be judged by the association. Bud Powell was beaten and never the same. Miles on coke is just a different type of addiction.

Anyways so most 50's-60's jazz was not on heroin, I'll agree to that and move on.

I don't think it matters who wrote poinciana, my favorite things or polka dots and moonbeams as I never heard the originals, I doubt most people have. Sort of like 'house of the rising sun' .
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
All that is true. Monk was barred from nyc performances over that incident and arguably should not be judged by the association. Bud Powell was beaten and never the same. Miles on coke is just a different type of addiction.

Anyways so most 50's-60's jazz was not on heroin, I'll agree to that and move on.

I don't think it matters who wrote poinciana, my favorite things or polka dots and moonbeams as I never heard the originals, I doubt most people have. Sort of like 'house of the rising sun' .
What does this have to do with synth design?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
What does this have to do with synth design?
Maybe DSI will be inspired to release a new Prophet rev3 "Junkie XL" edition?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Lets face it, many people find there's nothing better than getting baked, plopping on some headphones and noodling around on their favorite synth.

Some possible examples......

Even the company name - seriously ^
Some others....

...and yes I've personally known many Japanese people who party hardy!

Wait a minute. In your examples you included a Greek, a British, a Belgian and two Japanese manufacturers. I see an obvious flaw in your theory.

Quote:
There's many traits that indicate a bias towards the stoner market. Quasi-Psychadelic graphics, bright primary colors, simplified control layouts, unorthodox casing shapes etc.
I have a better explanation: They are designed for (and by) big kids. (Me included! )

Alistair
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
get yourself to some psytrance festivals, take your time and meet some people, eventually you'll come across some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
any noise or external disturbance is bad for the experience, you have to be in a dark safe quiet room with someone to help you take the pipe when you collapse back onto a couch or bed, these things must be in place for the full experience to manifest.

It's not a party chemical, it's a deeply moving spiritual experience, some people never fully grasp what happens to them and they can't cope afterwards, others like myself would keep going back time and time again to explore more.
There is a bit of a contradiction in the above. The first quoted part is accurate. The second quoted part is subjective.

Alistair
Old 4 days ago
On DMT, everything becomes subjective, "there will be nothing you can meassure anymore" (L.Cohen - The Future)
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Partying while on DMT is crazy talk, maybe after 3 or 4 hours.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
My drug of choice nowadays is a Ducati Hyperstrada. 110 HP, 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, top speed of 136 Mph. The adrenaline rush is incredible.

And it makes lots of delicious ear candy too.

Nothing sounds like a Ducati
Except for a Ferrari actually. They sound almost identical.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search