The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great songs that have been played to death so badly...
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear

Great songs that have been played to death so badly...

That you may not care if you ever hear them again...

My list includes (and we can mostly thank the horror that is "classic rock" stations for most):

Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane (Eagles)
Layla, You Look Wonderful Tonight (Clapton)
Turn the Page (Seger)
American Woman (Guess Who)
Any hit by Boston
Any hit by Pink Floyd
In Your Eyes (P Gabriel)
Jessica, Ramblin Man (Allman Bros)
Bad Company, Rock n Roll Fantasy (Bad Company)
Old Black Water (Doobies)
Any hit from Rumors, Rhiannon, Landslide (F Mac)
Any hit by Genesis from Abacab on out (except maybe the self-titled album, oddly those aren't played much it seems - and thank God that's probably their best album)
Runnin on Empty (J Browne)
Aqualung (J Tull)
Carry on, Dust in the Wind (Kansas)
Maybe I'm Amazed (live version) (P McCartney)
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

AC/DC big time. Many different songs.

However I don't mind hearing stuff from back in black on the radio. The radio limiters bring up a lot of great sounding room tones and reverbs.
Old 15th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post

My list includes (and we can mostly thank the horror that is "classic rock" stations for most):

Turn the Page (Seger)
Any hit by Boston
Any hit by Pink Floyd
In Your Eyes (P Gabriel)
Any hit by Genesis from Abacab on out (except maybe the self-titled album, oddly those aren't played much it seems - and thank God that's probably their best album)
Aqualung (J Tull)
judging by that list, you listen a lot in the car and you never hit the other buttons. Time you did, maybe.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
judging by that list, you listen a lot in the car and you never hit the other buttons. Time you did, maybe.
Somehow you appear to have missed the "don't care if I ever hear them again" and "classic rock stations suck" parts of my post. I never listen to rock stations any more. This is mostly why.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
This doesn't really count since it's a pretty bad song, but I would rather not hear Smells like Teen Spirit.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah that's why I said "great" songs Tons of bad songs I hope to never hear again, played a lot or not.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Turn the Page (Seger)
This one could never be overplayed to me. One of my all time faves. Play on.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah classic rock radio is probably the most repetitive option out there. Its basically the Top 40 format and approach to radio but the songs never change, year in and year out for a good 3 decades now.
Old 15th July 2018
Just about everything you hear on AM and FM commercial radio...as you say

Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Well "Mustang Sally" is always played at blues jams and there was a time when those jams were the only way for me to keep my chops up as my job made it impossible to gig due to oncall requirements. I hope to never ever hear that tune again.

I could do without ever hearing "Sweet Home Alabama" ever again - in fact I wish I had never heard it the first time.

I do not listen to radio so I do not get bombarded with tunes ad nausea but I am sure there are others I could list if I put some thought into it.

That said, I think I'd prefer to think about something else. :-)

Oh wait - one more - "Tomorrow" from the broadway musical "Annie". When my youngest brother was growing up, he played that song into the ground and clear to China and I have never gotten over my total dislike for it.

Last edited by PdotDdot; 15th July 2018 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Going back to the title of the thread I will say that "Honky Tonk Women" is a great song that has never been played correctly as 99.9% of all guitar players have never taken the time to figure out the true part. I love this song. I play it correctly. I enjoy playing it when it is played correctly but when it is not played correctly I do not want to hear it.
Old 15th July 2018
I like Don Henleys Boys of Summer, because it brings back good old memories but in general it’s been played to death.

Same for Under the Milky Way Tonight by the Church. Great song but badly overplayed and the shame is that album is full of even better songs you never hear played.

Along those lines I Melt with you by Modern English is another example of an overplayed hit from an album containing much better songs. There is not a bad song on that album and when you listen to it in its entirety Melt with you turns out to be the weakest track on it.
Old 19th August 2018
There is so much great rock music, but the corporate zombies play only endless repeats of very tired crap. Very lamebrained and uninteresting. Corporations are people, my friend, and this is what you get. Terrestrial radio - which is a candidate for the greatest invention evar - could be great, but our overrated culture ruined it.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

'All of me' -John Legend
Old 26th August 2018
Quote:

Turn the Page (Seger)
Any hit by Boston
Any hit by Pink Floyd
In Your Eyes (P Gabriel)
Aqualung (J Tull)
Life in the old folks home is going to be HELL, man...
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Guru

I just saw a movie called "Table 19" (rom-com, you've been warned). It takes place during a wedding reception, and the band does the most incredible bad-on-purpose 80's covers. Worth suffering through just for that.
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
I like Don Henleys Boys of Summer, because it brings back good old memories but in general it’s been played to death.
I'm waiting for the third-generation cover of it.

"Out on the road today, I saw a Green Day sticker on a Tesla
Something inside my head said, 'what the fvck rhymes with Tesla'"
Old 26th August 2018
Quote:
I'm waiting for the third-generation cover of it.

"Out on the road today, I saw a Green Day sticker on a Tesla
Something inside my head said, 'what the fvck rhymes with Tesla'"
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

XM radio is good for avoiding that. Really liking Willies Roadhouse right now. Now THAT`S country music..brah.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search