The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New to San Francisco/Bay Area... hello!
Old 8th June 2018
  #1
Gear Addict
 
telejustin's Avatar
 

New to San Francisco/Bay Area... hello!

I just moved to east Bay area from LA and know zero people here! My lady got a great job offer so we decided to pack it up and leave the city of angels behind.

Quick intro: I've been an engineer/producer for almost 20 years. These days I do a lot of mixing, but am interested in getting back into more tracking and production work. I have extensive experience with location/live recording, remote trucks, etc. as well. I work on slammed and hyped modern music as well as classical and jazz, banjos and mandos. Actually looking to do more post work as well.

I'd love to meet some locals for beers and lunches, BS, talk shop and learn about the scene. Would love to learn about the studios that are open to freelancers, who needs help, cool venues to check out, etc. Hit me up!

Justin
Old 8th June 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 

The Bay Area is a big place ! Where are you located?
Old 8th June 2018
  #3
Gear Addict
 
telejustin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
The Bay Area is a big place ! Where are you located?
Concord!
Old 9th June 2018
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Welcome to the Bay! If you decide to venture out to Oak/SF/San Jose for gigs and whatnot you'll find lots of work. Concord itself lost a lot of it's live venue vibe but it could revive itself and see more studios pop up for video/audio work. Big guitar Center located near the mall. I also recommend Thurs night Farmers market music in downtown). Good turnout always. Vinnie's on Fridays has good covers for the older crowd.
Old 9th June 2018
  #5
Gear Addict
 
telejustin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLNB View Post
Welcome to the Bay! If you decide to venture out to Oak/SF/San Jose for gigs and whatnot you'll find lots of work. Concord itself lost a lot of it's live venue vibe but it could revive itself and see more studios pop up for video/audio work. Big guitar Center located near the mall. I also recommend Thurs night Farmers market music in downtown). Good turnout always. Vinnie's on Fridays has good covers for the older crowd.
Thanks!

I'm psyched to get to SF/Oak for whatever, particularly if I can take BART as I live close to a station and love public transportation in general. People thought I was crazy, but I rarely drove in LA.

When you say "lots of work", what sort of stuff are you talking about? Music? Post?
Old 9th June 2018
  #6
Gear Addict
 
ltjohnrambo's Avatar
 

Welcome!
Old 9th June 2018
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by telejustin View Post
Thanks!

I'm psyched to get to SF/Oak for whatever, particularly if I can take BART as I live close to a station and love public transportation in general. People thought I was crazy, but I rarely drove in LA.

When you say "lots of work", what sort of stuff are you talking about? Music? Post?
Corporate gigs mostly due to startup economy and Silicon Valley being an hour away. Music venues and studios in general will be far and fewer than in LA, but there are some mainstays in SF/Oak and in the North Bay to checkout. If you are offering studio consultations I could use some pointers to maximize workflow in my small space. PM rates if available.
Old 9th June 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Congratulations for having such a smart wife!

What's rent up to these days in SF?

Or a house?
Old 9th June 2018
  #9
Gear Addict
 
telejustin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLNB View Post
Corporate gigs mostly due to startup economy and Silicon Valley being an hour away. Music venues and studios in general will be far and fewer than in LA, but there are some mainstays in SF/Oak and in the North Bay to checkout. If you are offering studio consultations I could use some pointers to maximize workflow in my small space. PM rates if available.
Yes, I'm VERY curious what sort of work there might be given the tech scene. I'm sure the studio scene is oversaturated like everywhere else, but who knows maybe there's a studio that would find my skill set interesting.

And yes, absolutely, I love doing that stuff. I'll PM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
What's rent up to these days in SF?
I don't know about SF city proper, but here in the East bay it's cheaper than LA and I'm down with that.
Old 10th June 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
proxy's Avatar
 

Hey, I’m in the east bay too, a bit south of you. Hello, and welcome.

That Bandits stuff you did is rad!

Hope you settle in ok, and PM me if you have any east bay questions.
Old 14th June 2018
  #11
Gear Addict
 
telejustin's Avatar
 

Thanks everyone...I really appreciate the posts. I've actually made some cool connections thanks to this thread. Looking forward to more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Hey, I’m in the east bay too, a bit south of you. Hello, and welcome.

That Bandits stuff you did is rad!

Hope you settle in ok, and PM me if you have any east bay questions.
Right on! And thanks for the kudos on the Bandits! They're an amazing group I got to mix a couple of singles for.
Old 14th June 2018
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
elgee's Avatar
 

Hey,

just wanted to pop in and say welcome to the bay area!
Old 23rd June 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
 
XKAudio's Avatar
 

hey, also thinking about this move due to my wifes job offer.

Are there good amount of spaces where one could potentially put a small mix room together? not sure we can afford a whole house without close neighbors...
Old 23rd June 2018
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
elgee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKAudio View Post
hey, also thinking about this move due to my wifes job offer.

Are there good amount of spaces where one could potentially put a small mix room together? not sure we can afford a whole house without close neighbors...
It's a great area, there are plenty of places to rent space from. Depends on what youre looking for I used http://www.oaklandmusiccomplex.com/ for awhile.
Old 27th June 2018
  #15
Gear Addict
 
telejustin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee View Post
Hey,

just wanted to pop in and say welcome to the bay area!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKAudio View Post
hey, also thinking about this move due to my wifes job offer.

Are there good amount of spaces where one could potentially put a small mix room together? not sure we can afford a whole house without close neighbors...
This is coming from someone who just moved here, but out in the east bay where I'm at, rent is pretty reasonable by big city standards. We were looking for a 2 bedroom place and found plenty of options around $1800-$2200/month. Compared to SF it's cheap. If you need to be closer to the city, it seems like prices go up pretty quick as you head west.

I don't know how noisy you are, but my main concern was having a mix room that doesn't share walls with neighbors. I'm not doing drums or guitar amps and tend to mix pretty quiet these days so it's a bit less of an issue.
Old 28th June 2018
  #16
Old 28th June 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
balanceman's Avatar
 

Hi from Oakland. Look me up. come on by. I'll show you the good food.
Megasonic Sound – Recording Studio

don't forget the classic East Bay joke: "Hey pal, Concord's THAT way (points East)"
Old 4th July 2018
  #18
Welcome to the area Justin!

I guess there's room for two Justins around here...
Old 4th July 2018
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejustin View Post
I'd love to meet some locals for beers and lunches, BS, talk shop and learn about the scene. Would love to learn about the studios that are open to freelancers, who needs help, cool venues to check out, etc. Hit me up!

Justin
I'm no longer in SF, but I know lots of folks there. I think Balanced Breakfast Oakland is still going. It's a good place to say hello. The SF one might be good for you too.

Definitely look up Piper at Neato mastering. She's super connected and a great person.

Good luck, and do visit Deli Board when you're in the City. I miss it terribly....
Old 10th July 2018
  #20
Gear Addict
 
telejustin's Avatar
 

Hey all catching up...was out of town for a long holiday weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanceman View Post
Hi from Oakland. Look me up. come on by. I'll show you the good food.
Megasonic Sound – Recording Studio

don't forget the classic East Bay joke: "Hey pal, Concord's THAT way (points East)"
Thanks I will do that shortly! I'd love to hear your room. The few Pelonis rooms I've been in are killer and I use 4288's at home. They are my holy grail.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Welcome to the area Justin!

I guess there's room for two Justins around here...
Ha, phew...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfreeman View Post
I'm no longer in SF, but I know lots of folks there. I think Balanced Breakfast Oakland is still going. It's a good place to say hello. The SF one might be good for you too.

Definitely look up Piper at Neato mastering. She's super connected and a great person.

Good luck, and do visit Deli Board when you're in the City. I miss it terribly....
Thanks Andy! Sounds great. I really appreciate the networking and sandwich suggestions!
Old 31st July 2018
  #21
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejustin View Post
I just moved to east Bay area from LA and know zero people here! My lady got a great job offer so we decided to pack it up and leave the city of angels behind.

Quick intro: I've been an engineer/producer for almost 20 years. These days I do a lot of mixing, but am interested in getting back into more tracking and production work. I have extensive experience with location/live recording, remote trucks, etc. as well. I work on slammed and hyped modern music as well as classical and jazz, banjos and mandos. Actually looking to do more post work as well.

I'd love to meet some locals for beers and lunches, BS, talk shop and learn about the scene. Would love to learn about the studios that are open to freelancers, who needs help, cool venues to check out, etc. Hit me up!

Justin
Oh, you must have not read the pamphlet. SF Bay Area people don’t make friends. That’s Seattle you’re thinking of.

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump