The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
does anyone with a non singing voice sing? Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 1 day ago
  #61
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
... prior to the 90s you had to actually have talent to get a major deal and subsequently airplay. In that regard [Kurt Cobain] broke all the rules.
I'd say you've topped yourself with this one, but "topped" implies ascension.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 18 hours ago at 04:48 PM..
Old 1 day ago
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'd say you've topped yourself with this one, but "topped" implies ascension.
Hi Brett, I guess I get better with age...?? lol
I mean I'm 12 hours older than my last epic post here on GS


Thanks for the compliment sir!!! As long as we are opposite side of the facts I'm ok with that. I disagree with essentially everything you post here. Have you ever even recorded anything? juss curious
Old 1 day ago
  #63
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
Kurt Cobain couldn’t sing?! He sang like his life depended on it, and in retrospect, I guess it did. Phenomenal singer.
Phenomenal??? In musical terms what does that word mean, exactly??
To me, he sound like a dying animal (with no disrespect to dying animals)

just kidding.. I actually think Billy Corgen is worse as is Dave Grohl. IMO of course.
Old 1 day ago
  #64
Lives for gear
 

I think where people run into trouble is in trying to be a singer/player at the same time...both musical instruments and the human voice are stupifyingly difficult to master, best to do one at a time in a recording environment. The thing about singing is knowing by heart the melody and harmony line connected to it.
Also applies to total memorization of every word in order of delivery.
Without that, it is still improv, which will help align the vocal with the composition, and will help flesh out the counterpoint of the lyrics to the sound.
Hit it enough times and you will get a sense of what fits where and when...record your practices...and separate those files from the takes and start comping the best ones to get the right combination of melody, message, and meaning...meaning... well placed screams, howls, whoaooz and aahs.
Technically speaking, trying a pitch correction tool or harmonizer type of processor can help open up the possibilities that you don't really suck as bad as you think you do...it will help you in your performance, but it will also assist you in your creativity.
Getting a great sound in the cans is key to getting a great performance.
The rest is known as repetition/rehearsal/retake...


Like a bird in flight...it's best done in the night...under the moonlight...

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 1 day ago
  #65
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
I disagree with essentially everything you post here.
That's become apparent.

Quote:
Have you ever even recorded anything? juss curious
Click on the links in my sig and between the two sites you'll find 87 audio clips, which are the tip of a substantial iceberg.

On GS, find a recent thread called "Culture!" and you'll see a little video of a cello trio in my live room. Do another search for "Airto" and you'll find another little video of Airto Moreira doing overdubs for a Brazilian jazz album a couple weeks ago. I shouldn't have to explain who that is.

So yeah, I've recorded some stuff.

And given that my day gig is advertising, if you were to do a search in the CLIO Awards archives, you'd find at least 24 citations (last I checked). For some of those Clios I recorded stuff. For others I mixed stuff and/or did sound design or composed the music or wrote the copy or acted as producer.

Back to GS, in the interest of illustrating a point, I post attachments or links all the time. And compared to most people here, I'm an extremely open book.

You, on the other hand, claim to have invested more than $100,000.00 in pro gear and in the process of doing so have amassed a tremendous number of opinions. Along the way, you surely must have recorded or mixed... something. Or maybe not.
Old 1 day ago
  #66
Lives for gear
 
manalishi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
Keep in mind prior to the 90s you had to actually have talent to get a major deal and subsequently airplay. In that regard he broke all the rules.
Um... I think the spikey-haired '70s want a word with you.
Old 1 day ago
  #67
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
well his appeal was his noisy approach. It was different and rarely attempted to that point. Keep in mind prior to the 90s you had to actually have talent to get a major deal and subsequently airplay. In that regard he broke all the rules. Everything changed after this, for both good and bad. Got to respect him for having the balls to be this talent-less and think people would actually like it. Sometimes you have to believe in yourself no matter what.
What Cobain did have was an excellent sense of melody and harmony. His was a true talent, if you bothered to look past the guitar distortion and ****-it vocal style.
Old 1 day ago
  #68
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
What Cobain did have was an excellent sense of melody and harmony. His was a true talent, if you bothered to look past the guitar distortion and ****-it vocal style.
For example: (I love this video series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYdz55Oh1H8
Old 16 hours ago
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
That's become apparent.



Click on the links in my sig and between the two sites you'll find 87 audio clips, which are the tip of a substantial iceberg.

On GS, find a recent thread called "Culture!" and you'll see a little video of a cello trio in my live room. Do another search for "Airto" and you'll find another little video of Airto Moreira doing overdubs for a Brazilian jazz album a couple weeks ago. I shouldn't have to explain who that is.

So yeah, I've recorded some stuff.

And given that my day gig is advertising, if you were to do a search in the CLIO Awards archives, you'd find at least 24 citations (last I checked). For some of those Clios I recorded stuff. For others I mixed stuff and/or did sound design or composed the music or wrote the copy or acted as producer.

Back to GS, in the interest of illustrating a point, I post attachments or links all the time. And compared to most people here, I'm an extremely open book.

You, on the other hand, claim to have invested more than $100,000.00 in pro gear and in the process of doing so have amassed a tremendous number of opinions. Along the way, you surely must have recorded or mixed... something. Or maybe not.
Hi Brett, thanks. You definitely have credentials but TBH anyone who defend a digi 192 I can't really ever be on the same page with. I also can't be on the same page with anyone who thinks Cobain was a good singer. This certainly doesn't mean you are not talented or successful, since I'm sure you are.

Thanks
Old 16 hours ago
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
What Cobain did have was an excellent sense of melody and harmony. His was a true talent, if you bothered to look past the guitar distortion and ****-it vocal style.

I don't think he had talent, sorry
Old 16 hours ago
  #71
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
... TBH anyone who defend a digi 192 I can't really ever be on the same page with.
So take me to school. Show me what page you're on. Post your work.
Old 15 hours ago
  #72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE

As long as we are opposite side of the facts I'm ok with that. I disagree with essentially everything you post here. Have you ever even recorded anything? juss curious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE

... TBH anyone who defend a digi 192 I can't really ever be on the same page with.
So take me to school. Show me what page you're on. Post your work.
Only seems fair.

Cardinal_SINE has repeatedly thrown shade on Brent and essentially challenged his professional standing and competence.

Fair is fair.
Old 15 hours ago
  #73
You guys are fun, what subforum do you normally hang out?
Old 15 hours ago
  #74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
You guys are fun, what subforum do you normally hang out?
I used to like the Moan Zone a lot but it's pretty dull these days. I like to start the relatively few threads I do start there. Cut to the chase, as it were.
Old 15 hours ago
  #75
Lives for gear
 
manalishi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
Hi Brett, thanks. You definitely have credentials but TBH anyone who defend a digi 192 I can't really ever be on the same page with. I also can't be on the same page with anyone who thinks Cobain was a good singer. This certainly doesn't mean you are not talented or successful, since I'm sure you are.

Thanks
Dude, stop digging. That's three ways you've made yourself look daft in one thread!

Looking forward to hearing your music.
Old 14 hours ago
  #76
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
So take me to school. Show me what page you're on. Post your work.
nope...no interest in letting you hear anything... don't care what you think

That being said I'm tired of arguing with you...call it a truce or a forfeit doesn't matter... I feel like you are trolling me to a small degree and it makes me feel uncomfortable.
Old 14 hours ago
  #77
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
Dude, stop digging. That's three ways you've made yourself look daft in one thread!

Looking forward to hearing your music.
what does "daft" mean?
Old 14 hours ago
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Only seems fair.

Cardinal_SINE has repeatedly thrown shade on Brent and essentially challenged his professional standing and competence.

Fair is fair.
digi 192 sound like crap, they can't be defended, sonically speaking
Old 14 hours ago
  #79
Lives for gear
 
manalishi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
digi 192 sound like crap, they can't be defended, sonically speaking
Look, have you got anything to contribute to the subject of this thread? You've posted nonsensical BS and deliberately contentious stuff about Cobain, when the subject of the thread is about exactly that - how non-singers can sing.

So don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

(Google can help with the "daft" thing.)
Old 14 hours ago
  #80
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
So don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
what does this have to do with vocals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
Look, have you got anything to contribute to the subject of this thread?
um Cobain's "vocals" are a prime example of a person who sings, that can't

You are one of those people on GS that have no original thought, and as a result you bully people you disagree with.

Do you have anything to contribute to the topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
(Google can help with the "daft" thing.)
adjectiveinformal
adjective: daft; comparative adjective: dafter; superlative adjective: daftest

silly; foolish.
"don't ask such daft questions"
synonyms: absurd, preposterous, ridiculous, ludicrous, farcical, laughable; More



wow.... sounds like someone I know.... lol...yeah U
Old 13 hours ago
  #81
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
What Cobain did have was an excellent sense of melody and harmony. His was a true talent, if you bothered to look past the guitar distortion and ****-it vocal style.
+1

As a trained musician and composer (40 years a pro musician) I have to say standing at the Reading Rock Festival watching Nirvana's last ever UK performance I thought this is a great band with a really brilliant song writer - I think Cobain was a considerable artist and talent.

He was a talented reductionist (a rarely found skill) and could make huge melodic and harmonic statements with a reduced number of notes therefore giving his songs a very ethereal and powerful quality.

I was a huge fan, his untimely death was a great loss to music, I think he had a lot more to say musically speaking.

I think in reference to the OP's question - the key to having less than musical singing voice is - don't try to sing in a traditional sense but to use your voice as a form of expression as for example Mark Knopfler did in the Dire Straits or Dylan or Leonard Cohen all considerable artists.

Make the focus be on the lyrics, deeper meaning, structure, counter instrumental melody - use the grain of you voice to express yourself and avoid "trying" to be a traditional singer then people will accept you for being you and not trying to be something you're not.

People buy into passion and most of all - honesty.
Old 13 hours ago
  #82
I'm not 'Brett' (or Brent, for that matter) but I have to say that the posts below directed at him have got under my skin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
[...] As long as we are opposite side of the facts I'm ok with that. I disagree with essentially everything you post here. Have you ever even recorded anything? juss curious
[bold added]

That provoked Brent to respond:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
That's become apparent.



Click on the links in my sig and between the two sites you'll find 87 audio clips, which are the tip of a substantial iceberg.

On GS, find a recent thread called "Culture!" and you'll see a little video of a cello trio in my live room. Do another search for "Airto" and you'll find another little video of Airto Moreira doing overdubs for a Brazilian jazz album a couple weeks ago. I shouldn't have to explain who that is.

So yeah, I've recorded some stuff.

And given that my day gig is advertising, if you were to do a search in the CLIO Awards archives, you'd find at least 24 citations (last I checked). For some of those Clios I recorded stuff. For others I mixed stuff and/or did sound design or composed the music or wrote the copy or acted as producer.

Back to GS, in the interest of illustrating a point, I post attachments or links all the time. And compared to most people here, I'm an extremely open book.

You, on the other hand, claim to have invested more than $100,000.00 in pro gear and in the process of doing so have amassed a tremendous number of opinions. Along the way, you surely must have recorded or mixed... something. Or maybe not.
To which Cardinal_SINE responded:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
nope...no interest in letting you hear anything... don't care what you think

That being said I'm tired of arguing with you...call it a truce or a forfeit doesn't matter... I feel like you are trolling me to a small degree and it makes me feel uncomfortable.
[bold added.


Wow. Just wow.

Old 13 hours ago
  #83
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I'm not 'Brett' (or Brent, for that matter) but I have to say that the posts below directed at him have got under my skin...

[bold added]

That provoked Brent to respond:


To which Cardinal_SINE responded:[bold added.


Wow. Just wow.

what you are tying to convey?
Old 13 hours ago
  #84
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post

deeper meaning
who decides what is "deeper", lyrically speaking?

What if an artist hides the deeper meaning within some more trivial lyrics to make a song more accessible to the masses? is that still OK? Let's say a song like "Kick start my heart" by Motley Crew? or perhaps "The Boys are Back in Town" by Thin Lizzy?

As someone who is a 'trained composer' like yourself, do those two song's lyrics fall under your definition of deeper meaning? Just curious. Also do lyrics like "A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido Yeah, hey" fall under your definition of deeper meaning as well? Since I find them rather immature and meaningless. Lastly, just for kicks, what do you think of the lyrics to "Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi? or the lyrics to "Everybody want some" by Van Halen? meaningful? or meaningless?
Old 12 hours ago
  #85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
what you are tying to convey?
Oh, I think people got the message.



Of course, as the quote-bot rendered it, it might be a bit hard to fathom so here is the original post a ways back up the thread.
Old 11 hours ago
  #86
Lives for gear
 
Cardinal_SINE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Oh, I think people got the message.
great, thanks
Old 9 hours ago
  #87
Here for the gear
 

I think Eric Burdon fits the non-singer singer role. In tune'ish for the most part but not really a singers quality voice. But his passion was honest and deep, to me anyway. I just listened to Sky Pilot on headphones and it reminded me of this thread. Gave me goose bumps too.

BM
Old 1 hour ago
  #88
Lives for gear
 
manalishi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post

I think in reference to the OP's question - the key to having less than musical singing voice is - don't try to sing in a traditional sense but to use your voice as a form of expression
+1 on that. And I think it takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there if yours is a less-than-perfect singing voice. Hence the need for 'comfort reverb' for tracking, I suppose.
Old 5 minutes ago
  #89
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
who decides what is "deeper", lyrically speaking?
The beholder of course.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump