The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New book coming from Mixerman - "Musician's Survival Guide to a Killer Record"
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

New book coming from Mixerman - "Musician's Survival Guide to a Killer Record"

He's one a kind, and his original 'Zen and the Art of Mixing' is a classic for a reason - thought i'd let slutz know he has a new one coming out, currently being crowd-funded:

"This field manual is not intended to make you a better recordist. It's designed to get you thinking about your art and the creation of it from a musical place–regardless of genre–and to turn technical decisions into practical ones. I have no intention of mentioning gear brands or models in the body of this book, as they are somewhat irrelevant. You have what you have, and what you have will change. What’s not going to change is music and how people react to it."

Musician's Survival Guide to a Killer Record | Indiegogo
Old 22nd April 2018
Here for the gear

I'm in! I loved the Diaries and the Zen series. I still remember staying up way too late every night waiting for the next diary entry.
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Head

I'm in. Loved all the other MM books.
Old 22nd April 2018
Here for the gear

Looking forward to this one!
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

he is definitely someone you can learn more bout comedy than engineering. He is the Sam Kineson of audio
Old 23rd April 2018
RiF
Lives for gear

I like the different perspective on the subject. Backed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
he is definitely someone you can learn more bout comedy than engineering. He is the Sam Kineson of audio
Yep. The book will be entertaining for sure.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
What have you read of mine? Based on this comment, not much.

Enjoy, #mixerman
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Here's a little taste of what people can expect in this book.

This is an early draft that I’m sharing with you. So there will be errors until later drafts and a proper copy edit. What’s important right now are the concepts, even if they’re slightly rough around the edges. Here it is.

Technology

You know, when it comes right down to it, you can record with anything you like. Hit records have been recorded live off the floor straight to a wire and to vinyl. They’ve been recorded live to 2-track (Stereophonic!). They’ve been recorded on 4-track machines, which allowed for overdubs with bouncing techniques. They’ve been recorded on 8-track analog machines. 16-track analog machines. 24-track analog machines. 2-track cassette recorders. 4-track cassette recorders. Midi. Two 24 track machines linked together into a Large Frame Analog console with full automation and complete recall. Three 24 track machines linked together. 32 track digital tape machines. 48 track digital tape. ADATs. DA-88s. HDRs. Garageband. DAWs. Then even more DAWs, each of which seem to approach the creative process in unique manners.

Before I continue, I would just like to say, if you can make a hit record on an ADAT, you can make a hit record on anything. If you didn’t live through ADATs, consider yourself lucky.

Okay, so yeah, those hit records were mostly made with the technology of the time. And a great act live off the floor to a wire recorder is certainly not going to have the same kind of impact as the same act into a DAW.

But I kind of laid out that (super abbreviated) list in order. And you’ll notice that right smack dab in the middle of 24-track analog machines is 2-track and 4-track cassette recorders. That’s because those technologies occurred concurrently. For me as a lad, 4-track cassette was the technology of the time. Oh, and I can’t actually say for sure that a hit record was ever made on a 4-track cassette, but there was quite a bit of hip hop charting in the eighties recorded straight into a cassette deck.

That’s the crazy thing that we tend to lose sight of because we always feel like we have to compete. It’s been like that my whole life, it’s just in hyper-drive now. We don’t actually have to use the technology of the time to make a Killer Record. The technology has nothing to do with a hit. Someone, somewhere will figure out a way to make a hit record using only the resources available to them, whatever those are. It may as well be you.

Now, let me just address this whole “hit record” **** because I know that some of you just can’t fathom why I’m making this about hits and not quality. I mean, there have been lots and lots of terrible songs that have been hits, right?

Put simply: Quality is subjective. Hits are quantifiable.

Now, I recognize that a hit record is not always the goal. I mean, certainly we all dream of hits and stardom at some point in our journey, but that isn’t what drives us to make records. It’s our artistry—our absolute need to create that pushes us forward through our artistic endeavors. Of course, we do seek an audience.

You see, whether a hit record is even feasible is almost irrelevant, because surely your goal is to cause a reaction. You want people to respond to your music, even if it’s just 100.

Hits are just songs that got huge reactions. The quality is irrelevant. The recording is irrelevant. Many people loved the song and still do today. When you think about it, the only difference between a hit record and your record is scale.

Let me put it this way to you, because I walk the gallon this. If somehow I managed to mix the worst sounding piece of dog **** record known to man, and it becomes a hit? That track will go prominently on my discography forever amen and mother ****ers will hire me because of it.

So, let’s not pretend that this whole record-making **** is about quality. It’s about tapping a vein.

Enjoy, #mixerman
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixerman View Post
... let’s not pretend that this whole record-making **** is about quality. It’s about tapping a vein.
All true. And cynical, but it wouldn't be you if it weren't. I'm sure you'll make it entertaining.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
All true. And cynical, but it wouldn't be you if it weren't. I'm sure you'll make it entertaining.
I certainly don't mind the cynical label. In fact, I own it. But I go on to explain that we can only effectively operate within our likes. Therefore, quality is an important evaluative tool to use as we make our record. But when it comes to recording quality, if your goal is to agitate the listener, and your lyric matches that, then a well balanced polite record would be the opposite of quality.

Quality is not only subjective, it's dynamic.

Enjoy, #mixerman
Old 24th April 2018
This book is going to be great.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
What have you read of mine? Based on this comment, not much.

Enjoy, #mixerman
That was a clumsily worded compliment..we've all been there.
Old 24th April 2018
I successfully adapted Mixerman's 'kitten technique' using puppies instead and my career has taken off. Often, mid-session, I remember a scenario from the Mixerman Diary, and it prevents cognitive dissonance. I'm in.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear
This thread is three days old and it's still on the first page. Where is all the love and hate?

I'm sure it will be entertaining and also have some good insight, so I'll probably read it.
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
This thread is three days old and it's still on the first page. Where is all the love and hate?
If you're James Comey, you can have your book reviewed without actually publishing it. Mixerman's a little lower on the radar.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post

I'm sure it will be entertaining and also have some good insight, so I'll probably read it.
I don't get it. Isn't being on the first page a good thing?

Mixerman
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Guru
Miss The Womb..... Think more like PG Wodehouse.
Old 26th April 2018
65% of target with 5 days to go...the horses are on the track.
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Addict

MM

I really liked the billionheir apparent book.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I don't get it. Isn't being on the first page a good thing?

Mixerman
I meant that it's still on the first page of this thread, as opposed to a long 5-10 page thread already.

I don't know if that's a good thing, I assumed that you would want more discussion?

I miss the Womb too, I think Mixerman said that he was going to bring it back
Old 26th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
I really liked the billionheir apparent book.
Me too; interesting exposé of the audio industry and also American culture. Great characters.

66% at the moment...fingers crossed.
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Guru
Screw Mixie! Where are Ardy, Weedy, Slippy and all the other Womb cats....! I died laughing on some of the threads on there....Almost like performance art.....

BTW, cool to have a guy this funny writing about a very unglamorous side of the biz......
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Backed the campaign and looking forward to the book.

I also miss the womb and the team of knowledgeable and helpful people who used to visit there.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

And Fletcher too. I miss Fletcher.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Been really enjoying the Mixerman & Ryan Earnhardt/Creative Sound Lab collaborations on his Youtube channel, you guys are a great match, informative and hilarious. More please!

Started reading Adventures of Mixerman in a studio lounge, must have been RIGHT after it was published in book form, couldn't put it down and had to go outside I was laughing too hard. Amazing, and hitting too close to home as well. There's a part where Mixerman is hunched over the drums adjusting mics and the drummer blasts him with an unexpected snare hit inches away with no warning, knocking his head on the cymbals, etc. I had JUST witnessed that exact scenario play out moments earlier in real life. Our drummer got a polite little talking to about how the engineer's ears were literally his livelihood... if only he had read the book!
Old 26th April 2018
I'm in also. Love the Diaries, and Zen/Mixing. Look forward, go man go!
Old 26th April 2018
...78%...
Old 28th April 2018
...91%...
Old 28th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm in! Cant wait, read the old books several times over.

PS i would have gone in earlier if there was a paypal button!!

Last edited by GJ999x; 28th April 2018 at 11:36 AM..
Old 29th April 2018
...97%...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search