The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kendrick Lamar wins the Pulitzer for Music Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th April 2018
  #301
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
I'm arguing that instant zero/low cost , non phisical worldwide distribution for anyone with internet access doesn't auto translate to more money.
Got it. Yeah it definitely doesn't mean more money for the industry, its what caused the intial sink. I brought it up as a major catalyst for the paradigm shift, which has resulted in less revenue for the industry overall, as of now, yes.

I have 3 posts on this page outlining how this isn't actually the doom and gloom its painted out to be though. IE Artist work is way up, 10 artists splitting 1 million and making their own records produces more artistic job opportunity than 1 artist taking 2 million but hiring engineers and studios to help him make the record. The former produces more artistic opportunity, the latter more music-production service industry jobs.
Old 24th April 2018
  #302
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I know exactly how that business work and thats what I underlined in the end.

Just re-read my last post.

Or go ask Mase hows his contract with Bad Boy records 10 year later !
I can remember being in Palm Springs with Mase and Sway. It was about 1999. There was a question in the forum of who was winning independents or Majors.

Someone in the room talked about the inefficiency of doing Million $ videos jumping out of planes, and how you'd never recoop. They were saying it was a recipe for financial disaster. Mase felt defensive, since he was the only one in the room who had done such a video.

He responded by saying "I may not make any money from that record, but it put me in position to start Harlem World,and eventually make money."

I looked over to the guys in my row and predicted Mase would be quitting music after a short time. I don't think there's wisdom in doing a deal where you plan to lose money.
Old 24th April 2018
  #303
This is all your fault jnorman, you realize that, right?

This whole drifting off topic discussion now has nothing to do with this forum. I wonder if the mods would be interested in moving it to a more general forum, or moan zone for that matter.

Unless, of course we want to know what everyone uses to record live Rap/Hip-Hop concerts. Schoeps vs DPA anyone? ORTF vs MS for main pickup? Church acoustics vs. retirement home?
Old 24th April 2018
  #304
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Got it. Yeah it definitely doesn't mean more money for the industry, its what caused the intial sink. I brought it up as a major catalyst for the paradigm shift, which has resulted in less revenue for the industry overall, as of now, yes.

I have 3 posts on this page outlining how this isn't actually the doom and gloom its painted out to be though. IE Artist work is way up, 10 artists splitting 1 million and making their own records produces more artistic job opportunity than 1 artist taking 2 million but hiring engineers and studios to help him make the record. The former produces more artistic opportunity, the latter more music-production service industry jobs.
Don't get me wrong. One thing for sure is, it is what it is. It doesn't matter if we think it's doom and gloom or not. We can give our take on it and spin it positive or negative, but what it is, it is, and what will be, will be. We have no choice but deal with it and make the best of it.


It will never be what it used to.
Old 24th April 2018
  #305
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
This is all your fault jnorman, you realize that, right?

This whole drifting off topic discussion now has nothing to do with this forum. I wonder if the mods would be interested in moving it to a more general forum, or moan zone for that matter.

Unless, of course we want to know what everyone uses to record live Rap/Hip-Hop concerts. Schoeps vs DPA anyone? ORTF vs MS for main pickup? Church acoustics vs. retirement home?
There's been very little moaning after the OP. If this thread was to go to the moan zone, it should have happened after post 1. At this point it doesn't belong there at all.
Old 24th April 2018
  #306
Lives for gear
 
boombapdame's Avatar
@IM WHO YOU THINK I hate both the economic and cultural devaluation of music.
Old 24th April 2018
  #307
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
I can remember being in Palm Springs with Mase and Sway. It was about 1999. There was a question in the forum of who was winning independents or Majors.

Someone in the room talked about the inefficiency of doing Million $ videos jumping out of planes, and how you'd never recoop. They were saying it was a recipe for financial disaster. Mase felt defensive, since he was the only one in the room who had done such a video.

He responded by saying "I may not make any money from that record, but it put me in position to start Harlem World,and eventually make money."

I looked over to the guys in my row and predicted Mase would be quitting music after a short time. I don't think there's wisdom in doing a deal where you plan to lose money.
I do believe there's wisdom in making artistic move to put yourself in position to make your art the way you want it to be.

I also believe there's greediness in having Mase signed on your label, write all your biggest hits for your big cow then 10 years later still refusing to let him go and ask him to come at your office to talk about it.

Mase is a VERY VERY inteligent men. He know what he was doing and he still know where he's going.

Now that you're telling me that you know who Mase is, and you know who Sway is, go ask around what are their thought on who's one of the biggest hit writter in all rap game. Mase might not have the iest voice or the most hardcore story telling but he got bars and I'm pretty sure Camron is sh!tting his pants now that he know that Mase will strike back after 10 years of taking all his bullsh!t bars aimed at him. I saw Jada and Fab interview earlyer this year and saw both biting their lips when asked who was the best lyricist. And I still remember Jada vs beanie sigel being a serious hot minute....so I think that says a lot on Mase status as a very well established and respected writter. People know...
Old 24th April 2018
  #308
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
I disagree with this. I don't think there's more good music than before.
There's more noise than before, but that doesn't mean the signal to noise ratio is better.
Wouldn’t it be logical that if there is more music overall there would be more music we like and more music we don’t like?
Old 24th April 2018
  #309
Lives for gear
 
boombapdame's Avatar
@IM WHO YOU THINK there has always been noise so this era's no different.
Old 24th April 2018
  #310
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
This is all your fault jnorman, you realize that, right?

This whole drifting off topic discussion now has nothing to do with this forum. I wonder if the mods would be interested in moving it to a more general forum, or moan zone for that matter.

Unless, of course we want to know what everyone uses to record live Rap/Hip-Hop concerts. Schoeps vs DPA anyone? ORTF vs MS for main pickup? Church acoustics vs. retirement home?
Yes, they should move an interesting and informative thread because it’s not about the same absolutely mind numbing topic as usual.
Old 24th April 2018
  #311
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Wouldn’t it be logical that if there is more music overall there would be more music we like and more music we don’t like?
Sure if it was strictly a matter of probability. I don't think it is. I think the quality was higher (a bit), when there was more invested and more to lose. There were more stages of having to prove yourself. So that what we did hear, was what made it through a filter.

Today the filter is off, and more people have the ability to record with minimal investment. So what appears to be "logical" could be skewed perception in reality.
Old 24th April 2018
  #312
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I do believe there's wisdom in making artistic move to put yourself in position to make your art the way you want it to be.

I also believe there's greediness in having Mase signed on your label, write all your biggest hits for your big cow then 10 years later still refusing to let him go and ask him to come at your office to talk about it.

Mase is a VERY VERY inteligent men. He know what he was doing and he still know where he's going.

Now that you're telling me that you know who Mase is, and you know who Sway is, go ask around what are their thought on who's one of the biggest hit writter in all rap game. Mase might not have the iest voice or the most hardcore story telling but he got bars and I'm pretty sure Camron is sh!tting his pants now that he know that Mase will strike back after 10 years of taking all his bullsh!t bars aimed at him. I saw Jada and Fab interview earlyer this year and saw both biting their lips when asked who was the best lyricist. And I still remember Jada vs beanie sigel being a serious hot minute....so I think that says a lot on Mase status as a very well established and respected writter. People know...


I don't know the guy personally. I was in the same room with him and we spoke to the same group of people years ago. I don't know his business situation currently. (I can't speculate on it). I just know what I thought at the time. A short time after, he was quitting and it was what I predicted after hearing him.

You can speculate on the wisdom of his move, but bet against it then base on what he was saying, and according to your post, hed been trapped in the same situation that he was making excuses for that day. I don't think that panned out as a wise move.
Old 24th April 2018
  #313
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Yes, they should move an interesting and informative thread because it’s not about the same absolutely mind numbing topic as usual.
This drives me crazy. They shut down the weed thread because the OP said it wandered too far and requested it. As if the 18 followup pages of conversation among 100 people belong to the OP!

I wanted to thank someone for the Nokiva recommendation there (i went out and bought one and its amazing) along with continuing a few other discussions, but nope.
Old 24th April 2018
  #314
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
I don't know the guy personally. I was in the same room with him and we spoke to the same group of people years ago. I don't know his business situation currently. (I can't speculate on it). I just know what I thought at the time. A short time after, he was quitting and it was what I predicted after hearing him.

You can speculate on the wisdom of his move, but bet against it then base on what he was saying, and according to your post, hed been trapped in the same situation that he was making excuses for that day. I don't think that panned out as a wise move.
He's locked up at Badboys records, that is not his choice and if I was to be in his situation I would have stopped doing music for that crook as well. Combs is just a low ball Ike Turner with all his passive agressive move.

Mase net worth is supposedly 8 M$. He's a pastor. Not the worst situation i've ever heard of.

His last album with Bad Boy is suposed to be called ''Now we even''
Old 24th April 2018
  #315
Gear Addict
 
krevvy's Avatar
unbelievable, just goes to show how worthless this prize is.
Old 24th April 2018
  #316
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
He's locked up at Badboys records, that is not his choice and if I was to be in his situation I would have stopped doing music for that crook as well. Combs is just a low ball Ike Turner with all his passive agressive move.

Mase net worth is supposedly 8 M$. He's a pastor. Not the worst situation i've ever heard of.

His last album with Bad Boy is suposed to be called ''Now we even''
Did Puff force him to sign?

Honestly, I don't think anyone else is responsible for what I sign myself into.
Old 24th April 2018
  #317
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Did Puff force him to sign?

Honestly, I don't think anyone else is responsible for what I sign myself into.
Thats a VERY interesting point, especially given the social context of a young brother from Harlem.

I must say that I'm very disapointed that this opinion comes from someone that say hes into finance and still has problem understanding the context and financial difficulties. You were not forced to sign to get your diploma but you definitely failed at giving it the lowest of moral sense.

Ignorance might not be a valid excuse but its definitely a cause of what you hear from those same brothers that do their best to get of the street and stop doing all they can, other then be hired by an army of death bringer in exchange for education and ptsd.

Keep that in mind please.
Old 25th April 2018
  #318
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Thats a VERY interesting point, especially given the social context of a young brother from Harlem.

I must say that I'm very disapointed that this opinion comes from someone that say hes into finance and still has problem understanding the context and financial difficulties. You were not forced to sign to get your diploma but you definitely failed at giving it the lowest of moral sense.

Ignorance might not be a valid excuse but its definitely a cause of what you hear from those same brothers that do their best to get of the street and stop doing all they can, other then be hired by an army of death bringer in exchange for education and ptsd.

Keep that in mind please.
So you find the concept of personal responsibility disappointing obviously.



Why does the concept of me being responsible for what I sign compel you to question the "moral sense" of my education, and who are you to question It?

Edit: On second thought, don't answer.
After reading your post again, perhaps we've conversed enough.

You can't tell me about being from the hood. I don't need that lecture.
Old 25th April 2018
  #319
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
So you find the concept of personal responsibility disappointing obviously.



Why does the concept of me being responsible for what I sign compel you to question the "moral sense" of my education, and who are you to question It?

Edit: On second thought, don't answer.
After reading your post again, perhaps we've conversed enough.

You can't tell me about being from the hood. I don't need that lecture.
Personal responsability.........Moral sense.

Seems like you forgot it for a moment and you just suddenly remembered it to save your sorry arse but point out someone else.

Its at that exact moment you remembered why sometime its better to keep that sawker shut.

For your own sake.

Sake as in order to achieve or preserve.
Old 25th April 2018
  #320
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Personal responsability.........Moral sense.

Seems like you forgot it for a moment and you just suddenly remembered it to save your sorry arse but point out someone else.

Its at that exact moment you remembered why sometime its better to keep that sawker shut.

For your own sake.

Sake as in order to achieve or preserve.
Wow.
Old 25th April 2018
  #321
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
I disagree with this. I don't think there's more good music than before.
There's more noise than before, but that doesn't mean the signal to noise ratio is better.
The signal to noise is a million times worse.

But there’s also nothing to stop the blues guitarist in the bar on the corner who everyone swears is the next John Mayer from making a pro level record and making it available to everyone. Just one example of how good music from that otherwise might not have been available could come about.
Old 25th April 2018
  #322
Quote:
Yes, they should move an interesting and informative thread because it’s not about the same absolutely mind numbing topic as usual.
I'm sorry you find this forum mind numbing. I assure you the frequent contributors in this wonderful community do not.

Quote:
This drives me crazy. They shut down the weed thread because the OP said it wandered too far and requested it. As if the 18 followup pages of conversation among 100 people belong to the OP!
If a squatter starts living in my house after I am away for a month, does he have rights to it? If someone steals one of my microphones and sells it, who really owns it? I someone creates thread on GS and 100 people hijack it, who has the right to direct the conversation? Laws and rules protect our society (and forums) from mob rule, and I see that as a good thing. I am not saying you all are not having a pleasant and civil conversation, I am saying it has absolutely nothing to do with the Location Recording forum and respectfully suggest the moderator look into a new home. They can say no, and I'll respect that, as it it not my thread either, and I don't have some naive and juvenile sense of entitlement.
Old 25th April 2018
  #323
I don’t know this “weed” thread but that’s not really a suitable GS topic anyway.

Nothing wrong with where this is going. Let’s keep the discussion away from forum critique - if you want to discuss that go to forum issues.
Old 25th April 2018
  #324
Lives for gear
 

moderator I don't understand why you removed 12t's recent posts
Old 25th April 2018
  #325
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
moderator I don't understand why you removed 12t's recent posts
Forum member please read the FAQs - politics are not allowed here.
Old 25th April 2018
  #326
Lives for gear
moderator I don't understand why a thread unrelated to the forum's focus and concerns:
"Jazz, Classical, Choir, Acoustic Music environments & beyond + Live Performance, Mobile & Location Production & Broadcasting. Moderated by Steve Remote of Aura Sonic Ltd. NYC, NY USA" (in case you're unaware) has remained here, rather than being relocated to a more relevant home...such as 'Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production' or 'Songwriting' or even "The Moan Zone' (which is what the OP was !)

The thread's 'liveliness' or number/frequency of postings is insufficient reason of itself that it should remain here.
Old 25th April 2018
  #327
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
moderator I don't understand why a thread unrelated to the forum's focus and concerns:
"Jazz, Classical, Choir, Acoustic Music environments & beyond + Live Performance, Mobile & Location Production & Broadcasting. Moderated by Steve Remote of Aura Sonic Ltd. NYC, NY USA" (in case you're unaware) has remained here, rather than being relocated to a more relevant home...such as 'Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production' or 'Songwriting' or even "The Moan Zone' (which is what the OP was !)

The thread's 'liveliness' or number/frequency of postings is insufficient reason of itself that it should remain here.
I hope the moderators won't take this personally (Forum Rule #20 ) but I agree that this thread has no relevance to the Remote Possibilities forum. It is like the "Which Console..." thread that used to live here but was moved by Steve Remote. The charged content of the Kendrick Lamar topic will continue to keep this thread popping up at the head of the queue for a long time to come. It has nothing whatsoever to do with remote or location recording, other than that the OP is a frequent contributor here. Please consider moving it to a more suitable home. Merci.
Old 25th April 2018
  #328
Forum members it is done.

I agree - but it didn’t seem to be bothering anyone (and Remoteness tends to be the only mod here).
Old 25th April 2018
  #329
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Kendrick Lamar’s Pulitzer Prize just shows how far hip-hop has taken us — The Undefeated

Interesting article, lays out the nexus between Dylan winning the Nobel and Kendrick's Pulitzer, among other things. Interestingly touching on several points already broached in this thread.
Old 25th April 2018
  #330
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
P.S. Western Art Music theory systems have a poor ability to express rhythm, tonal qualities and microtonal inflections, paired with a history of pushing square pegs into round holes as far as deciding what should be notated. I once wrote a piece of music based on this style: YouTube and the rhythmic structures were deemed unplayable by my composition teacher until I showed him some of that style, he changed my grade from a 60% to 93%.
Kudos to your teacher!

Also love the piece (Odd Bakkerud)... (I'm Swedish)

I think in general notation of music using our western system can get us very far, but it may be a matter of how we relate to notation than notation itself. In the case of this type of music I think you can notate it fairly closely, including swing versus non-swing (for lack of better terminology :-) and the remaining un-notated parts of the performance could be simply chalked up to interpretation maybe, which is where mentoring and just listening and learning a 'style' comes in.

But I don't entirely disagree with you.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump