Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I have been known to partake...
You clearly inhaled.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

I will never call a buss, a bus.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear
No matter which is correct, I use bus because I'm lazy.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
It's not strictly what is the 'hardest' language to learn, but rather relatively what is the 'hardest' for a non native speaker.

It's generally acknowledged Mandarin Chinese is among the most difficult, but ironically it's the one with the most native speakers in the world.

I'm amazed at the fluency of the non-native English speakers on this forum. If you were to reverse it, and have Americans try to converse in a forum in another language, I'd think there'd be very little substantive communication. American's are kinda of dumb in that way, just like the most of them have a very poor geographical sense (I blame our education system and our generally extremely insular media).

Technology and AI, with voice recognition and instant translation getting better and better, I think is a very good thing, and eventually we'll all be better to engage with and understand each other in much more meaningful ways, hopefully for the good of the world.
I agree - Americans are lazy. Watch Ken Burns "Civil War" where the narrative is taken from writings of that era and you see just how well the English Language was used at that time. It was very eloquent. Today, not so much. We are bastardizing the language. It is so true that equal learning opportunities do not exist for all and that is a big issue but it is the laziness of those that were privy to the education that bugs me. The spelling on this Forum often drives me nuts and I am speaking of people where English is more than likely their first language. Funny though how I let stuff like this irk me at times - not worth being upset about in the long run. It is sad that well spoken and written "Ingrish" is being lost though.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
Americans are lazy.
That's because Americans are people (and people are lazy).
They allow stuff to get stuck in their heads:
...Then forget about everything else:
According to Wikipedia:
"In audio engineering, a bus (alternate spelling buss, plural busses) is a signal path which can be used to combine (sum) individual audio signal paths together."
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

How about we just chalk it up to one of many grammatical idiosyncrasies and anomalies in English.

If it's "busser" then why not "bussboy?"
Quote:
In North America, a busser, more commonly known as a busboy or busgirl, is a person who works in the restaurant and catering industry clearing tables, taking dirty dishes to the dishwasher, setting tables, refilling and otherwise assisting the waiting staff.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
It is sad that well spoken and written "Ingrish" is being lost though.
Them Civil War dudes woulda wrote "... well-spoken and -written." :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search