The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone else see the Musk warning? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone else see the Musk warning?

Scientists are saying Musk's Tesla is going to influence possible life on Mars. They're saying it's the most contaminated object ever sent to space. I'd have thought humans took that title, hands down. They're saying it crosses orbits so it could burn up in the Martian atmosphere and 'influence potential life' on the planet.

Is there anything left to put a negative spin on?
Old 13th March 2018
If you look at a live feed of the Tesla roadster, it looks like it's just orbiting the earth. It doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 13th March 2018
It looks like CGI to me

What's the use of this really ? .... why ?
I think it's just a stupid waste of recources,... but it's probably fake anyway
Old 13th March 2018
Gear doesn't kill people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
It looks like CGI to me

Yep. I looked for independent footage of the launch. NONE. Except for "employees" and the odd "journalist". Does not pass the sniff test at all. I think Musk is the greatest snake-oil salesman of the modern age.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
Yep. I looked for independent footage of the launch. NONE. Except for "employees" and the odd "journalist". Does not pass the sniff test at all. I think Musk is the greatest snake-oil salesman of the modern age.
I wouldn't give him that much credit, but one of the greatest for sure.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
It looks like CGI to me

What's the use of It?

I thought the answer was obvious..

Another distraction!

With how much subjection to reality the internet has provided people.. It amazes me how people still can't recognize ****ty blue screen cgi when they see it. There are endless videos on YouTube of people in zero gravity planes faking space travel and it makes me wanna be sick to my stomach every time I see one simply due to the blatant ignorance and naivety of everyone posting serious comments. These people will argue the fact..

It.. it hurts..
.. for real.. it physically hurts me to think about it too much..

Oh yeah, No! The same people who were exposed clearly faking space travel are really doing it now!

noones poisoning your food with drugs whose names you can't pronounce, american sports aren't rigged, and your vote matters!

Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

I will say this. The human species has learned a lot but we have not grown much maturity wise. OK, we don't go to arenas to watch people sliced and diced or get eaten by lions but overall, we have not improved that much. We are still ego centric which means we can be mean and we certainly take our planet for granted.

While I am behind all forms of space exploration, we have littered up the space orbiting earth with tons of garbage. I am of the opinion that until we learn to be more respectful of things that we probably should not be going to other planets and mucking them up as well.

While the Tesla thing was a great marketing ploy, I found it disgusting because to my mind he just tossed a bunch more garbage into earth's orbit for his own selfish reasons.

Last edited by PdotDdot; 14th March 2018 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Spelling due to auto check
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I will say this. The human species has learned a lot but we have not grown much maturity wise. OK, we don't go to arenas to watch people sliced and diced or get eaten by lions but overall, we have not improved that much. We are still ego centric which means we can be mean and we certainly take our planet for granted.

While I am behind all forms of space exploration, we have littered up the space orbiting earth with tons of garbage. I am of the opinion that until we learn to be more respectful of things that we probably should not be going to other planets and mucking them up as well.

While the Tesla thing was a great marketing ploy, I found it disgusting because to my mind he just tossed a bunch more garbage into earth's orbit for his own selfish reasons.
agreed.
Old 16th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Wade View Post
Scientists are saying Musk's Tesla is going to influence possible life on Mars. They're saying it's the most contaminated object ever sent to space. I'd have thought humans took that title, hands down. They're saying it crosses orbits so it could burn up in the Martian atmosphere and 'influence potential life' on the planet.

Is there anything left to put a negative spin on?

Only the fact that Scientists would also say it is possible that the next kiss you give your partner may birth a new super bug that wipes out planet on Earth?

The Tesla on first pass is over 100 million kilometres from Mars. Three astrophysicists from the University of Toronto have already punched the numbers. There isn't a hope in hell that the car will hit Mars in the next 3.5 million years. The largest odds are a 6.5% chance it will hit Earth in that time, and something like a 2% chance it will hit Venus or the Sun. Even then... the contamination has got to survive millions of years in space to actually have any effect...

Some people may call it space junk, but the car is actually a deadweight payload for accurately testing the Falcon rocket. I do wonder if people kick up a stink about some blunt realities we face inside out atmosphere, like wasting a third of all the food we produce... or if Musk simply rubs some people the wrong way.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

OMG bejeeezus, "influence life on mars"............

Um, we've been there a bunch of times. NO LIFE FOUND. This is BS.

Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post

The Tesla on first pass is over 100 million kilometres from Mars. Three astrophysicists from the University of Toronto have already punched the numbers. There isn't a hope in hell that the car will hit Mars in the next 3.5 million years. The largest odds are a 6.5% chance it will hit Earth in that time, and something like a 2% chance it will hit Venus or the Sun. Even then... the contamination has got to survive millions of years in space to actually have any effect...
but, but... the Tesla is "in space". And Mars is "in space" ... so they must meet, right?

It's actually pretty hard to hit Mars even when you are trying. I bet by the time 3.5 million years have elapsed, we will already have Terraformed Mars. Which is to say "contaminated" it on a planetary scale.

Quote:
Some people may call it space junk, but the car is actually a deadweight payload for accurately testing the Falcon rocket. I do wonder if people kick up a stink about some blunt realities we face inside out atmosphere, like wasting a third of all the food we produce... or if Musk simply rubs some people the wrong way.
the people getting upset about this are also placing an unwarranted faith in the effectiveness of the sterilization efforts we do perform on our spacecraft that we are actually landing on Mars. The Mars rover projects all receive multiple sterilization treatments here on Earth before launch, typically UV treatment, but they know such treatments are not 100% effective. They are largely relying on the exposure to cosmic radiation on the trip over and the intense UV radiation on Mars' surface. A trip that is measured in months, not millions of years.

Let's Stop Wasting Money Sterilizing Our Spacecraft

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search