The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton? Ribbon Microphones
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton?

Not that many people from this generation can appreciate such performers..

But who do you prefer, what works by them are your favorite and Why?

I'm a big fan of 'winds of change'
Old 3rd March 2018
Gear Nut

Plenty of people from 'this generation' love those guys!

I like the classics: The General from Buster, and The Kid and The Gold Rush from Mr. Chaplin.
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear

I don't no either well but I think Chaplin was less slapstick and more subtle sometimes, also poetical, which is what I prefer.

The only full movie I've seen was The Great Dictator.
And I've seen a documentary about Keaton recently.
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear
I think Chaplin was Genius and that word is bandied about too easily these days. Consider that he was also a musician (he wrote "Smile" and "Limelight")
He helped form United Artists.
Anyway i know its down to taste but i think he captured pathos/human condition better than anyone and his comic timing was astounding. He always hits the spot for me, i can watch him for hours on end.
here he is with Buster Keaton. Also another fav is the barber shop sketch.

Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

I've always respected Keaton's willingness to push his limits, and his guts as a performance artist.
Can't recall ever hearing about Charlie Chaplin risking his life over a shot.. but Keaton did, (several times)

Broke a bone in his neck from one as well!

Dedication.

As far as the reply about 'this generation'..
Is it cliche? Sure.
Is it inapproprite?
Hardly.

They made this new jumanji movie about a video game and not a board game, because kids just.. don't play boardgames anymore. Kids play Nintendo switch and grand theft auto.
Not chess.
They watch Taylor swift and Duane the rock Johnson.
Not Keaton.

Go find one person under the age of 20 today who knows who buster keaton was and I'll show you a unicorn wearing magenta mesh lingerie.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

They were both geniuses and I love them both - I also loved the Marx Brothers and Laurel & Hardy.

I did read Keaton's biography and man what a life. The man once got sucked up by a Tornado and he lived to tell about it....well that is what I remember anyway - I read the book about 30 years ago. :-)

I honestly cannot say which one is better or which one I like better - to me it is like trying to name the 10 best Beatles tunes - impossible to do.
Old 4th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
As far as the reply about 'this generation'..
Is it cliche? Sure.
Is it inapproprite?
Hardly.

Go find one person under the age of 20 today who knows who buster keaton was and I'll show you a unicorn wearing magenta mesh lingerie.
Is it inaccurate? Yes. These are younger folks at the Buster Keaton Convention in Muskegon. As it turns out, some parents teach their kids about silent film! And even when those kids are 16 and driving you crazy, they still remember those movies. Give young people a bit more credit and a touch less cynicism.
Attached Thumbnails
Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton?-screen-shot-2018-03-03-7.11.29-pm.png   Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton?-screen-shot-2018-03-03-7.10.24-pm.png   Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton?-screen-shot-2018-03-03-7.10.00-pm.png  
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Thankyou. You have completely restored my utmost faith in humanity.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

I used to like this genre of comedy, but that was years ago...even have some Keaton and Chaplin (and Laurel & Hardy) on DVD. Great Dictator was on tv the other day, but turned it off after a few minutes...didn't interest me anymore.

I never get tired of Victor Borge though!
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Funny - I liked Victor Borge a lot but the last time I watched something of his it just seemed like a lot of noise and was no longer funny. And I still love Chaplain, Keaton, Marx Brothers, Laurel & Hardy. The exact same reaction as you but with the opposite performer(s).
Old 4th March 2018
And let's not forget Harold Lloyd.

That said, when I was young, I was a big fan of Keaton -- who was still active when I was a kid. It took me considerably longer to get on Chaplin's wavelength. Keaton could do stuff with subtlety and pathos, too, but he did it in a way that could reach me as a kid. I was in high school and getting interested in history of movies before I really started getting into Chaplin.

And it was only after I read a bio of Lloyd in high school that I started getting interested in his often highly planned, very physical comedy. But, like Chaplin and Keaton, he understood the importance of emotion and narrative.

BTW, great 'aftermarket' score written for this apparently modern re-release.

PS... Lloyd lost his thumb and index finger in 1919 doing studio promo (a bomb was mistaken for a prop). He disguised the injury with a prosthetic glove. All the stunt work in 1923's "Safety Last" was done that way.

(While he did a lot of dangerous stunts, he's not actually hanging over a street in the clip above... there was a rooftop just out of camera range below him -- but it was still a fairly long drop to that roof as one can guess from the clip. He hired 'human fly' Bill Struthers to do the long shots of his character pulling himself up a brick at a time.)

Film locations for Safety Last (1923)

Last edited by theblue1; 4th March 2018 at 07:53 PM..
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Especially his "Harold Lloyd's Hollywood Nudes in 3D" work:

Harold Lloyd's Hollywood Nudes in 3D!: Suzanne Lloyd, Robert Wagner: 0768821239459: Amazon.com: Books

I only picked it up because I'm into 3D photography.
Old 4th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
Especially his "Harold Lloyd's Hollywood Nudes in 3D" work:

Harold Lloyd's Hollywood Nudes in 3D!: Suzanne Lloyd, Robert Wagner: 0768821239459: Amazon.com: Books

I only picked it up because I'm into 3D photography.
Of course, of course.

Seriously, that looks great!
Old 5th March 2018
Gear doesn't kill people.

Quote:

That said, when I was young, I was a big fan of Keaton -- who was still active when I was a kid. It took me considerably longer to get on Chaplin's wavelength. Keaton could do stuff with subtlety and pathos, too, but he did it in a way that could reach me as a kid. I was in high school and getting interested in history of movies before I really started getting into Chaplin.

And it was only after I read a bio of Lloyd in high school that I started getting interested in his often highly planned, very physical comedy. But, like Chaplin and Keaton, he understood the importance of emotion and narrative.

BTW, great 'aftermarket' score written for this apparently modern re-release.

PS... Lloyd lost his thumb and index finger in 1919 doing studio promo (a bomb was mistaken for a prop). He disguised the injury with a prosthetic glove. All the stunt work in 1923's "Safety Last" was done that way.

(While he did a lot of dangerous stunts, he's not actually hanging over a street in the clip above... there was a rooftop just out of camera range below him -- but it was still a fairly long drop to that roof as one can guess from the clip. He hired 'human fly' Bill Struthers to do the long shots of his character pulling himself up a brick at a time.)

Film locations for Safety Last (1923)
I was just about to mention Harold Lloyd. Lloyd was actually the biggest star of the three at the time, and for good reason, he was generally the best of the three. Both he and Chaplin were MUCH bigger stars than Keaton. The reason Lloyd is not mentioned much today is, from the 50s on, he actually kept his movies from being viewed with rare exception.
Old 12th June 2018
Lives for gear
Chaplin is still making the News in the modern era.
Charlie always had eye for the ladies.
Charlie Chaplin: The original distracted boyfriend - BBC News
Old 13th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Chaplin is still making the News in the modern era.
Charlie always had eye for the ladies.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-44451519

And bless the Beeb! They actually took the time near the bottom to explain the etymological evolution of our use of the somewhat recently coined word, meme. Their point about the thing predating the word in this case is well-made, though I'd argue that captioned postcards from the late 19th century have actual precedent over their 1911 example in that regard.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

And bless the Beeb! They actually took the time near the bottom to explain the etymological evolution of our use of the somewhat recently coined word, meme. Their point about the thing predating the word in this case is well-made, though I'd argue that captioned postcards from the late 19th century have actual precedent over their 1911 example in that regard.
Postcards yes, well pointed out.
Actually got a warning and the post deleted for erm "fishing" wtf.
Its a harmless post relating to Chaplin and in context of the thread.
Does this mean you cannot link to any other website?
Old 14th June 2018
Buster had a very long career. He also did a Twilight Zone episode.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Buster had a very long career. He also did a Twilight Zone episode.
After that he was in 20 additional films...see:
Buster Keaton - IMDb

My favorite of his modern films is "The Railrodder" (24 mins).
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Buster Keaton in "Sherlock Jr." is astonishingly good. If you ever get a chance to see that accompanied by a live orchestra, go.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search