The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
80`s "shredder" or "hair" songs/bands you still like? Ribbon Microphones
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

80`s "shredder" or "hair" songs/bands you still like?

Being an XM radio listener, I can`t help but put "Hair Nation" in my favorites because I grew up with them. C.C. DeVille is way underrated next to his contemporaries(I did not know he beat SLASH out for the Poison gig). But more importantly, his leads always fit the song even if they were very simple. I think there is something to be said there. Queensryche- Jet City Woman- Cool song, octaves baby. Kings X- It`s Love- Sounds like a drop D, but too bad that`s it. *takes off wig and eyeliner*
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

I've been on a Scorpions kick. Other than that, not much stands out. Then again if it wasn't Zeppelin in those days...
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Depends on what you consider "hair bands"

Guns n Roses
Def Leppard
Bon Jovi
Van Halen

are all great imo.

Scorpions were a good band too. Were they considered a hair band?
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

3 ballads I still pull out here n there

poison --every rose has it's thorn
bon jovi--i'll be there for you
warrant--heaven

It was a fun decade because of all the different types of music.
It wasn't close to being just about the hair bands...but they were there.
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Anything by the Killer Dwarfs.
Firehouse Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye
Loudness - Let it go.
Boston - Anything before 3rd stage.

That's enough for now.
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Neither - for me the music by then had gone way down hill. I just kept listening to my albums from the 60's and 70's. For me, 1964 to about 1976 was about it. And by 76 the pickings were few and far between.
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

One thing about the hair metal era, some killer guitar sounds came out of it.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
ANYTHING Def Leppard from THAT era ROCKS!
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Scorpions Lovedrive through Love at First Sting
Def Leppard High N Dry & Pyromania
Ratt Out of the Cellar
Motley Crue Too Fast For Love & Shout at the Devil
Ozzy Blizzard of Ozz & Diary of a Madman
VH before Sammy
Judas Priest British Steel through Defenders of the Faith

All classics and masterpieces of their genre and they all still get consistent play today in between the ambient/jazz/70's/post punk/ol skool/ska playlists.

Timeless.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
That`s a good one.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
3 ballads I still pull out here n there

poison --every rose has it's thorn
bon jovi--i'll be there for you
warrant--heaven

It was a fun decade because of all the different types of music.
It wasn't close to being just about the hair bands...but they were there.
My favorite poison ballad was "I Won`t Forget You Baby(I won`t forget yoou)". Again, the lead in that song is just dialed back and fits the song perfectly. C.C. one of the greats!
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
Scorpions Lovedrive through Love at First Sting
Def Leppard High N Dry & Pyromania
Ratt Out of the Cellar
Motley Crue Too Fast For Love & Shout at the Devil
Ozzy Blizzard of Ozz & Diary of a Madman
VH before Sammy
Judas Priest British Steel through Defenders of the Faith

All classics and masterpieces of their genre and they all still get consistent play today in between the ambient/jazz/70's/post punk/ol skool/ska playlists.

Timeless.
Yesss. Van Halen NOT Van Hagar. I wasn`t going to mention it since it was a given, but since you did my favorite VH song ever!
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
Yesss. Van Halen NOT Van Hagar. I wasn`t going to mention it since it was a given, but since you did my favorite VH song ever!
I do like that song, this is probably my favorite of theirs :

Old 21st February 2018
Gear Guru

Spinal Tap of course. no competition
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
Depends on what you consider "hair bands"

Guns n Roses
Def Leppard
Bon Jovi
Van Halen

are all great imo.

Scorpions were a good band too. Were they considered a hair band?
Well, Van Halen and GNR CERTAINLY certainly were not "hair bands" so, not really sure here.

My contribution would be Dokken.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
My favorite poison ballad was "I Won`t Forget You Baby(I won`t forget yoou)". Again, the lead in that song is just dialed back and fits the song perfectly. C.C. one of the greats!
Even though I should ! haha

The Crue Home Sweet Home is good especially Live

and when I'm drinking as well
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

I still like Duran Duran , Robert Palmer and the Power Station.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

All of them!

fb
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

I guess if any of these tunes came on I wouldn't shut the TV off:
- Judas Priest - "You Got Another Thing Coming"
- KISS - "Tears Are Falling"
- Ozzy - "No More Tears"
- Slaughter - "Up All Night"
- anything by Whitesnake, just because they're so funny to watch

tbh, if they came on the radio I'd probably be less patient. That whole hair-metal era was all about image, and I think in many cases the music was a complete afterthought.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
I still like Duran Duran , Robert Palmer and the Power Station.
Duran Duran is awesome. The bass is awesome on their prime cuts.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Duran Duran is awesome. The bass is awesome on their prime cuts.
Freaking awesome!
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

vs Duff McKagan..Duff is the best for the first 10 seconds.

Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

I would be thrilled to have either one of those guys play on one of my songs.
Not holding my breath.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Freaking awesome!
Learned at the feet of Bernard and Niles!
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I guess if any of these tunes came on I wouldn't shut the TV off:
- Judas Priest - "You Got Another Thing Coming"
- KISS - "Tears Are Falling"
- Ozzy - "No More Tears"
- Slaughter - "Up All Night"
- anything by Whitesnake, just because they're so funny to watch

tbh, if they came on the radio I'd probably be less patient. That whole hair-metal era was all about image, and I think in many cases the music was a complete afterthought.
I would venture to say that none of those artists are actually "Hair Metal" though they may have been pandering to the genre at the time.

KISS- NY, Pre-Punk, Power-Pop, Glitter-Rock band. They cut their teeth opening for The New York Dolls, Iggy and The Stooges and Wayne County and The Electric Chairs. Their very first gig at the hotel diplomat in NY was attended by about 10 people...4 if you don't count their girlfriends and management...who were those 4 people? THE RAMONES! Seriously, the first ever KISS show was KISS playing for The Ramones...Wow! The "KISS sound" is totally unlike anything even close to hair metal. I know this because buying old KISS records as a little kid is what made me say "**** this crap" to the hair metal bands I had been listening too, Once I heard KISS from the '70s (I had never heard music like that) I would never buy another hair metal record again....Too bad KISS themselves never got that memo...*Crazy Nights* *COUGH*....(Ahem...crap) *COUGH* (Title track is a classic if you can see through the most atrocious example of "80's production gone horribly wrong) KISS began with the idea of being the American Slade...THAT was a good idea. KISS was also a ****ing AWESOME Disco-Rock band (Everyone knows "I was made for...loving you...but check out "Charisma" and "Dirty living" KISS was AMAZING at disco.....they ****ing SUCKED at any genre with "metal" as part of its title...hair or otherwise (Anamalyze...Good effing' GOD!...)

Judas Priest- Part of that "left behind" group of "pre-hair" 1980's "Heavey Metal" bands, though they survived and even thrived as a classic rock band, but hair metal? Not so much.

Ozzy- Even during the hair metal years, I don't think he ever did anything one would calls "hair metal" I'm not his biggest fan either (or anyone on this list except for KISS) and not that "Hair Metal" it's self is a slur....but I wouldn't accuse Ozzy of it.

Slaughter- OK, I may seem way out on this one, Slaughter seems, at first look, to be about as Hair as Hair can get....fair enough, but when I think of hair Metal, I think of really bad Van Halen wannabe's who sounded like that band but 1000 x worse, who dressed like a mixture of whatever Motley Crue or Bon Jovi happened to be wearing that day. Hair Metal, as I understand it (And I lived through it) DOES have a particular SOUND to it, there is a way those songs were written that kind of....made Rock really LAME. There really was only one musical influence on that whole movement, Van Halen, they ALL wanted to be Van Halen, anything else in their musical repertoire was just a result of them ripping each other off. It really was all about Van Halen. Slaughter didn't fit that mold, whereas 99% of Hair metal songwriting was 1. rip off Vanhalen riff 2. Sort of sing some meaningless words over Halen riff 3. Extend one vocal note in the chorus, to at least a bar, thereby giving the illusion that you actually have a hook 4. LONG BORING GUITAR SOLO 5. Repeat chorus, clock out early....bridge? What's that? No, I don't want to play bridge, I'm trying to write a hair metal song here.

I give Slaughter a "Hair metal pass" for one reason, their songwriting was of a much higher quality than their contemporaries. And the influence was NOT Van Halen, they borrowed more from KISS, Cheap Trick, Bon Jovi...Maybe Journey. They were stealing from stores that sold quality goods. Their songs did not appear to just be an excuse for a guitar solo. Today, I think they would probably sound more like a classic rock band, than traditional hair metal, but it's been a while, so I might be wrong.

Whitesnake- White snake WAS a classic rock band, repackaged for the hair metal demographic in North America, so again, they did NOT sound like Van Halen. I WISH "Here I go again" was a typical hair metal song...if it was, I'd still be listening to hair metal (Does it still exist?)

So yeah, I've got a PHD in Aquanet buddy, you wanna talk Hair-metal with me, pack a lunch and dust off that "A-Game"

P.S To give you an example of what I believe rank and file "Hair Metal" sounds like....DOKKEN! THAT'S Hair Metal.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search