The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Blockchain Technology and how it can be VERY good to us.
Old 30th January 2018
Blockchain Technology and how it can be VERY good to us.

Hey Gearslutz!!... Question: How much awareness do you have about Blockchain Technology? ...and the benefits it could give to the music business? ...and the Recording industry?

Many of you may know or heard about Bitcoin, the important thing is not the virtual coin itself, but the technology underneath. A plattform made by encrypted chains of blocks, where you can contain any kind of information, products, services and creative content. You can trade these contents directly wit any user, and no need for a "middle man".

As far as I have researched: There are already a few platforms where you can distribute, stream and sell your music.

Musicoin ($MUSIC) and Aurovine are the most advanced platforms I've seen so far... and some recording studios are already accepting Aurovine's Audiocoins (ADC) as payment.

Imogen Heap founded a blockchain based website called Mycelia in order to give all creative content creators -of any music production- a fair share. They are developing a Creative Passport, which is your "Virtual You" as creator or co-creator of musical content.

Well... this may sound futuristic, but it's been fully functional for some years now. Here's a video explaining how Blockchain Technology works.

Any thoughts?
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear
The tech will effect the music and movie industry in other ways, more to do with security and encryption, than with payment. People can pay me in cans of beer, or in cows and sheep, for all I care.

At the moment, recorded music cannot earn any money and only live music and licensing pays. Bockchain tech could add new direct distribution methods to movies in particular!
Old 3rd February 2018
As an old guy with 1200+ LPs, a couple hundred singles and 78s, 500+ CDs and many, many legitimately purchased mp3s and FLACs, I'm afraid I see the buy-to-own model as increasingly irrelevant to the way that many or most consumers (including this old guy) want to enjoy and pay for the music they listen to.

Shift happens.
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear
The present Bitcoin mania and other crypto-currency nonsense may indeed remind us of the Dutch tulip madness of the 17th Century, but that madness was based upon the first intersection of selective breeding and growing international trade.

Neither selective breeding, nor international trade have gone away. They were here to stay. The madness went away of course - as will Bitcoin madness.

But the two technologies that created that madness are here to stay. Internet trading and blockchain technology are here to stay. Tulips are here to stay - indeed, I believe we have a few in our garden, though of course they are almost without any monetary value.

What we shall use blockchain tech for, remains to be seen. When the madness subsides, Bitcoins will go back to whatever they cost when they were launched, which was, I believe, a Dime.
Old 5th February 2018
There's one BIG drawback to current blockchain tech -- it's ENORMOUSLY wasteful of energy.

The Ridiculous Amount of Energy It Takes to Run Bitcoin - IEEE Spectrum
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

How do I get musiccoin?

Once you’ve bought Bitcoin, you can convert them into Musicoin at Bittrex and Cryptopia cryptocurrency exchange

In other words it's a scheme for them to get bitcoin without the mining costs.
At least thats how I understand it.
Mayby I am wrong and too old.

I don't see any benefit for the musician nor for the consumer.
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

China has blocked cryptocurrency sites, bitcoin lost >12% today, all currencies lost, some up to 35%
On a single day.
Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations | CoinMarketCap
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
The tech will effect the music and movie industry in other ways, more to do with security and encryption, than with payment. People can pay me in cans of beer, or in cows and sheep, for all I care.

I'll give you a goat and half an octopus for that last album of yours.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
Neither selective breeding, nor international trade have gone away. They were here to stay. The madness went away of course - as will Bitcoin madness.

But the two technologies that created that madness are here to stay. Internet trading and blockchain technology are here to stay.

The biggest impetus for many of today's digital-tech products is the epidemic (and in my view neurotic) need to be, and need to be seen as, digital. Thousands of texting>>driving deaths, falling off cliffs taking "selfies," embracing smartphones like so many heart pacemakers, dumbing down literacy by way of internet lemmingspeak: people simply want to be digital. As Marshall MacLuhen prophetically said: 'The medium is the message.' It is exponentially truer now that when he said it. Likewise Bitcoin: you get to play with this stuff and wear a little (unseen) Che Guevera beret for being such a rebel and so digital and so........ 'out there.'

The Ultimate Digital Rebel will be the one who manages to hack the nuclear weapons system of a country which has one, and thereby launches World War III. "Bitbang."
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

We enable scalable convergence with value-added blockchain on demand in the cloud, relying on web-enabled paradigms with viral interfaces and optimized efficency schemes with integrated e-business applications for the internet of things virtual infrastructures.

Now give me your money.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Nut

The word on the street is that this website is using our computers for mining.

People have detected big CPU spikes when logged onto GS and have been discussing it on Reddit.

Anyone aware of this? Is it true or bull?
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini jack View Post

People have detected big CPU spikes when logged onto GS and have been discussing it on Reddit.

Semi-bull. There seem to have been a few issues with external referrers injecting crypto-mining scripts into the headers of GS pages. (So it isn't the Gearslutz team doing it). This doesn't happen when you are logged in. So stay logged in and you should be fine.

Alistair
Old 12th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini jack View Post

There's a thread in Forum Issues. Undertow has it right - if I'm honest it's beyond my understanding, but it's an external issue we're slowly bringing under control (and by "we" I mean Gearbot) but it's certainly not a GS-originated issue!

If you're members of specific Reddit forums that are repeating this gossip, please set them straight!
Old 24th March 2018
Deleted User
I installed AdGuard on Firefox last night and when I logged into GS it said the site was a cryptocurrency mining site. I see the post above about bringing that under control, but what does this mean for ordinary users?
Old 25th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
I installed AdGuard on Firefox last night and when I logged into GS it said the site was a cryptocurrency mining site. I see the post above about bringing that under control, but what does this mean for ordinary users?
It’s not GS - it’s a script hijack depending on how you got here - see thread in forum issues (and to report this).
Old 21st June 2018
is this problem fixed?
Old 4th July 2019
FIXED?.... how do you fix this??
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search