The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
User name = artist name?
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

User name = artist name?

So far, I haven't used my artist name as my gearslutz user name, but now I'm considering a new artist name and also changing my gearslutz name into that.

Is this way too uncommon?

How are you doing this, do most of people here use their artist name as user name or do you separate the two?

This thread probably doesn't really belong into "Electronic Music Instruments...", but I didn't find a forum where it should obviously be in, so I decided to post in the forum that I mostly use. Feel free to move.
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
So far, I haven't used my artist name as my gearslutz user name, but now I'm considering a new artist name and also changing my gearslutz name into that.

How are you doing this, do most of people here use their artist name as user name or do you separate the two?

This thread probably doesn't really belong into "Electronic Music Instruments...", but I didn't find a forum where it should obviously be in, so I decided to post in the forum that I mostly use. Feel free to move.
My name is patrick dafunk here, but at night...

Old 15th December 2017
Don't do it. People searching out your music will find your Gearslutz posts instead. Don't dilute your search results.
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

Also some anonymity is good. If they see a famous name on here all you get is fan posts instead of real comments.

I admit when I saw a particular famous person I'm a fan of was doing a Q&A here I admit I just wanted to send them gush posts, but I controlled myself (although I did invest in their movie and in return got an autographed DVD).
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

Does it matter? I mean, there’s some forums or what have you that I registered on like a decade ago using a regular username that I’ve shifted away from and maybe wouldn’t use now, but I’m not so bothered by it that I need to adopt a new nom de plume to keep posting there. Not going to lie, I’ve thought about registering a new account on some of those sites before, but when I think about it just feels like some weird kind of vanity. Plus, I like some kind of anonymity online. But if it’s that important to you, go for it.
Old 15th December 2017
I am HrastProgrammer on everything I do and everything I've ever done (Software Development, Electronic Music, Digital Signal Processing, ...), on all forums and groups, etc. I am all that, not just an individual part but the sum of all parts. So, to me, it's logical to have everything under just one hood.
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

My real name is Robert James.
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear
If it translated I'd be doing Ed Sheeran numbers
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

I got online back in the day, well before AOL, when pretty much every username was some variation of the users real name, and usually depended on the University policy, or more often the default naming policy of the particular unix that the university used like first initial, last name. Since that time I have always used the same username. It turns out that this is also the second half of my "artist name". The first half being identical to my actual first name.
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
I got online back in the day, well before AOL, when pretty much every username was some variation of the users real name, and usually depended on the University policy, or more often the default naming policy of the particular unix that the university used like first initial, last name. Since that time I have always used the same username. It turns out that this is also the second half of my "artist name". The first half being identical to my actual first name.
Good way to do it. I love the Stranger Than Paradise reference. Such a great film.
Old 15th December 2017
I am an Earl.
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

My real name is Daft Punk.
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
Also some anonymity is good. If they see a famous name on here all you get is fan posts instead of real comments.

I wish I could have such problems.
Old 16th December 2017
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
My name is patrick dafunk here, but at night...
Hahahahaha...

Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear
I keep em separate as i want to maintain an illusion that i know what im doing.
Old 16th December 2017
Gear Maniac

My username is my nickname for my dog.

If I were to use it as an artist name and suddenly become famous, paparazi would track her down and constantly harrass her. She's always been a nervous little thing so having strangers constantly coming up to the fenceline or peeking through windows would be bloody awful for her.

tldr; Not using my username as an artist name because I'm not a monster.
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

My name is Synth Buddha and I'm an alcoholic.
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

My name is Namnibor and I am a synth and sex addict. However, my keys are not sticky, contrary to common belief.
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

Technically I’m cornish1973
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

User name different than artist name different from real name. The smaller the footprint, for me, the better.
Old 16th December 2017
WDM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post

I would recommend you to look at difference (if any) between Artist Name and Band Name first
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

I'm Brian and so's my Wife.
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

This thread is odd....but I like it.
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Poop spelled backwards means exactly the same thing
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

I been using Twitter to promote my music recently - had an 'incident' y'alls might find relevant:

My music is somewhat political, occasionally more-so. I also like to talk about politics there since its interesting (a trainwreck in a flaming tailspin in quicksand run by cyborg zombie mercenaries), not prohibited, and not just my friends i.e Facebook. Well… some 'person' disagreed with a statement I made and apparently this caused catastrophic painful knicker twisting, because he subsequently tracked me down and made all sorts of dismissive comments and down votes on everything I have online.

What a loser.

However: word to the wise - there are morons out there (many), and a connected social media presence is just the kind of bait they may enjoy in the same way a slow child likes poking insects with a stick. There are no grownups around. Thankfully I have plenty of views and likes so its trivial - still, segregation of creative-me from opinion-me from real-me may be the call for some.

I am anonymous here with intent. I have no intention of someone arguing that my information / opinion about gear and techniques is weak because they, " … listened to your tunes and you aint all that"
Old 24th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish1999 View Post
Technically I’m cornish1973
Ahh so you're from Cornwall then..
Old 24th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Ahh so you're from Cornwall then..
naw, 1973
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
I been using Twitter to promote my music recently - had an 'incident' y'alls might find relevant:

My music is somewhat political, occasionally more-so. I also like to talk about politics there since its interesting (a trainwreck in a flaming tailspin in quicksand run by cyborg zombie mercenaries), not prohibited, and not just my friends i.e Facebook. Well… some 'person' disagreed with a statement I made and apparently this caused catastrophic painful knicker twisting, because he subsequently tracked me down and made all sorts of dismissive comments and down votes on everything I have online.

What a loser.

However: word to the wise - there are morons out there (many), and a connected social media presence is just the kind of bait they may enjoy in the same way a slow child likes poking insects with a stick. There are no grownups around. Thankfully I have plenty of views and likes so its trivial - still, segregation of creative-me from opinion-me from real-me may be the call for some.

I am anonymous here with intent. I have no intention of someone arguing that my information / opinion about gear and techniques is weak because they, " … listened to your tunes and you aint all that"
I had a guy do that a few days ago, just because I called him out for being a Behringer hater. I have almost no views, so now some of my vids have a downvote and no upvote xD.

He even found my GS username and mentioned it in a comment. Like that means anything to me, supposed to scare me?

In case you wanna see one of the funny comments. Here is a screenshot

I took it at a point that looks like I am taking a sh¡t, perfection.
Attached Thumbnails
User name = artist name?-screenshot_2019-08-23-22-24-24.jpg  
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

I am starting a new band called K. C. Earl
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search