The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
reverb.com versus gearsluts classified versus ebay
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Just got an email from Reverb stating they have good news for me! How exciting... Well, the good news is that for MY benefit, they are increasing the selling fee from 3.5% to 5%. I presume that ebay will in a similar fashion feel they have to improve their service for music customers and raise their music fee to 5% as well.

Looks like ebay fee for non guitars and basses is 10-12% on total sale amount. Fancy way of saying they charge for the shipping cost as well as the sale amount. So ebay still sucks.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Just got an email from Reverb stating they have good news for me! How exciting... Well, the good news is that for MY benefit, they are increasing the selling fee from 3.5% to 5%. I presume that ebay will in a similar fashion feel they have to improve their service for music customers and raise their music fee to 5% as well.

Looks like ebay fee for non guitars and basses is 10-12% on total sale amount. Fancy way of saying they charge for the shipping cost as well as the sale amount. So ebay still sucks.
Yeah, I agree that email and the subsequent clarification email was incredibly tone deaf especially when so many musicians have lost work for the foreseeable future:

"This change will enable us to make investments in areas that are important to you, like bringing more buyers to the site on your behalf and creating more tools to make selling easier. Most importantly, it will help us be a sustainable partner that you can continue to depend on to help grow your online business and set you up for continued success."

Huh?

Just a terrible time to raise prices on Reverb which will reverberate through the whole used gear business. It seems the Etsy bottom line is starting to show. The beginning of the end as they say. But Reverb remains the only 21st century marketplace.

freemusictribe is completely unusable so far and eBay is so cluttered with fradulent listing, ads, and keyword spamming AND expensive, it's just not worth the chore...
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Guru

booooooo

no more paypal on reverb either, they want ALL the money
Old 21st July 2020
I gave up on Reverb and eBay. I had bad experiences selling on both that made me leave them behind. Facebook marketplace has worked out pretty well for me as seller. ZERO fees and no paypal either.
Old 21st July 2020
Lives for gear

Craigslist is nice, but hard to move a high end device due to nobody interested locally, but in all 50 states there is one. But if its a speaker cab, will take a price hit to avoid shipping hassles.

My problem has been changing gear for no reason except novelty. In the last two years, mostly cleared stuff out. Just have a great river pre to go. I might start here and see how that goes. Otoh, in the 70s, I had to pay like $20 for a newspaper ad.

I will check out facebook too.
Old 21st July 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian View Post
I gave up on Reverb and eBay. I had bad experiences selling on both that made me leave them behind. Facebook marketplace has worked out pretty well for me as seller. ZERO fees and no paypal either.
How do you deal with payments. both receiving and as a buyer?
Old 5th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthmaven View Post
How do you deal with payments. both receiving and as a buyer?
I only accept cash. I have only sold gear and never bought on there.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
I only accept cash. I have only sold gear and never bought on there.
You must live in an area full of gearslutz. I'm pretty much the only one within a 100KM radius where I live..
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthmaven View Post
You must live in an area full of gearslutz. I'm pretty much the only one within a 100KM radius where I live..
My immediate area no, many people who purchased synths/gear from me came from other states. Some have been about 3 and even 4 hours away.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

You know what I keep seeing on Reverb? People marking their items as "sold" then relisting them at a higher price. Some dude "sold" his Microkorg then immediately relisted it for $75 more. Same thing with a Roland HS-60 that was "sold" then relisted $250 higher. Could be deadbeat buyers, I suppose, but it sure looks like a trend.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
My immediate area no, many people who purchased synths/gear from me came from other states. Some have been about 3 and even 4 hours away.
gas is 3 to 4 times cheaper than in France. I drove from Miami all the way to Youngstown once to pick up a Mellotron and a home-build modular synth once.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accompianist View Post
You know what I keep seeing on Reverb? People marking their items as "sold" then relisting them at a higher price. Some dude "sold" his Microkorg then immediately relisted it for $75 more. Same thing with a Roland HS-60 that was "sold" then relisted $250 higher. Could be deadbeat buyers, I suppose, but it sure looks like a trend.
People have always done that. Two reasons:

1. You list an item and it sells instantly. Oops, you were below market. Someone "buys" at the asking price but hasn't yet paid. So you say, "Sorry, sold it locally, but I might be selling my other one." Then you list it again at a higher price. Best case, you'll get more. Worst case you'll get the same buyer as before paying the same money.

2. Your item sits for a long time without selling. That's noted in the listing, and makes people wonder what's wrong with it. So you end the listing and tell Reverb you sold it elsewhere (or they'll want money from you) and start fresh.

The former is bad behavior, the latter I can understand.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post

2. Your item sits for a long time without selling. That's noted in the listing, and makes people wonder what's wrong with it. So you end the listing and tell Reverb you sold it elsewhere (or they'll want money from you) and start fresh.

I had a guy on reverb question the low price on one of my items "What are you concealing that is wrong with it". I wanted to sell it quickly but I agreed with this abrasive individual. I immediately raised the price and then he was begging me to lower it to the original price. I did not budge.

I ended up selling it at the higher price. I just remember a guy who instead of jumping on a good deal, questions the integrity of the seller. I guess I do have a tiny number of sales on reverb. On ebay over 100 positive and no negative--over the last 15 years or whatever, but that doesn't mean diddly on another site.

But I do believe I learned a lesson about buyer psychology. The price needs to be not too low, then one can let he buyer make offers and feel like he has grinded you down on price, and everybody walks away happy. Now on reverb, if I want a quick sale, I just make it $50 less than the lowerst seller--this is over $1,000 type items. Adjusted for mintness and so forth.

In the 70s when I was buying and selling guitars mostly to individuals and stores, it was known that everybody prices things so the buyer can negotiate 20% off--it was a ritual that all enjoyed. Its interesting that all of us isolated individuals developed a shared understanding of the customs. I was putting and reading ads in the local newspaper back then.

Ok, I just logged into Reverb and I cannot find that field that showed the number of days that a post has been active. That was a good indicator if dude is a dreamer on price and will never sell his item--especially if there are 6 at a lower price right next to it. I can see ending and re-starting a listing to re-set that counter.

What is the thinking? "Well once the other 12 units sell, someone will come along and give me MY price." Sure, as long as nobody ever posts that for sale at a lower price in the meantime, AND if someone anywhere will pay that price. Thats why I call it a museum.

I just saw another good one--one item is $20 less than another comparable unit. One small thing--its from Austraila and shipping is $120.

Last edited by ponzi; 12th August 2020 at 03:13 AM..
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
People have always done that. Two reasons:

1. You list an item and it sells instantly. Oops, you were below market. Someone "buys" at the asking price but hasn't yet paid. So you say, "Sorry, sold it locally, but I might be selling my other one." Then you list it again at a higher price. Best case, you'll get more. Worst case you'll get the same buyer as before paying the same money.

You can end a listing without marking it sold (and Reverb doesn't ask for any fees), so I don't really buy #2 .

Some version of #1 is what's happening.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
You can end a listing without marking it sold...
Sure, but if you want to wake it back up again without having to start from scratch with the descriptions and the photos and all that, Reverb shows the time elapsed since the original listing. I had a pair of monitors up for sale for about three days and then a friend borrowed them for what turned out to be a year. When I got them back I went to reactivate the listing and it made it look like the speakers had been sitting unwanted for a year, which kinda sucked.

Point being, I know the second example happened at least once because I was the one that did it. And I'm pretty sure I've seen others -- seems like some of the old Fender basses I'm interested in aren't for playing, they're only for buying and selling.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
One of the nice things about the built-in haggling phase of Reverb is that you can use it as a way to open a conversation with the potential buyer and get a sense of the person. On one occasion it was clear that the guy had no idea what he was actually buying; I told him as much and asked him not to pursue the deal and he actually complied, God bless him. On another, similar occasion the person persisted but I was able to kill the listing before he actually bought the thing. Took me another month or so to sell that piece of gear, but I would do the same thing again.
I'd be interested in hearing more about this, really piqued my curiosity. What exactly happened?
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Certainly on craigslist I like to chat with the other person long enough that I feel comfortable with them. Can be as simple as "what kind of things where you playing with that bass." The nature of the answer will tell me if it sounds like a musician who cares about the instruments. For most craigslist sales or purchases, the sale normally ends in a 15 minute BS session that I have enjoyed. Well, I guess some of the covid ones are dude looking at the item in my driveway and then putting money into the box and taking the item out if he wants it and leaving.

On to Brent's point, there have been a couple of ebay sales where the buyer has zero repution or lots of negative. I think for the most part someone legit won the auction, I do cancel buyers who are outside of 48 states as that is documented as a sale requirement. I may have said this, but my experience on ebay has been that the person who asks the most stupid questions never wins the auction, so don't spend a lot of time answering.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
You can end a listing without marking it sold (and Reverb doesn't ask for any fees), so I don't really buy #2 .

Some version of #1 is what's happening.
The two options are "Sold on reverb" or "Sold elsewhere (no fee)"

I'm assuming from what Brent said, they both show up in completed listings as "sold" regardless of which option you choose.

I'm using eBay right now because I don't want to deal with Reverb's shortcomings. Mainly having my money held for several days after a sale.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYT756 View Post
I'd be interested in hearing more about this, really piqued my curiosity. What exactly happened?
In which case?
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
In which case?
Sorry, should have clarified.
About the two guys who had no idea what they were buying. One you convinced not to buy, the other you killed the listing.

I'm curious as to the "he has no idea what he is buying" and how it concerned you to the point you had to cancel the sale.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sorry, should have clarified.
About the two guys who had no idea what they were buying. One you convinced not to buy, the other you killed the listing.

I'm curious as to the "he has no idea what he is buying" and how it concerned you to the point you had to cancel the sale.
In the first case it was someone interested in a pair of vintage transformer/trimmer boxes that I used to make and sell. A simple 1:1 iso transformer followed by a balanced trim pot. At moderate levels the effect is somewhere between very moderate and unnoticeable. At elevated levels, saturating the transformer, the effect is more extreme depending on frequency content and the specific transformer. And of course, the thing providing the elevated level is probably also clipping, so that's a factor too.

This isn't beginner-level stuff, and the buyer was clearly a beginner. And he indicated that he had already bought an analog "color" box ($750) that gets touted here a lot and wasn't exactly getting miracles from it, so some "vintage transformer mojo" at half the price might be just the ticket.

I got the feeling that the guy would either return the boxes or come on GS calling me a charlatan or maybe both. Best to nip it in the bud.

In the latter case, it was a Bryston 3B power amp. The amp had unbalanced inputs and the guy was going to feed it from the balanced outputs of... I forget what. He seemed fairly inexperienced so I told him he'd need to make up a pair of balanced-to-unbalanced cables, and this was kinda sailing over his head. Do I take the chance of shipping a 50 lb boat anchor to someone who'll plug it in and get no audio and freak out? Nah.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
2. Your item sits for a long time without selling. That's noted in the listing, and makes people wonder what's wrong with it.
Curious, where do you see how long an item has been listed? I just clicked through my watchlist and I don't see that info, although it's possible I'm overlooking it.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Curious, where do you see how long an item has been listed? I just clicked through my watchlist and I don't see that info, although it's possible I'm overlooking it.
I just took a quick look, and you're right. It's not there. It certainly used to be; I'm glad they got rid of it.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
In the first case it was someone interested in a pair of vintage transformer/trimmer boxes that I used to make and sell. A simple 1:1 iso transformer followed by a balanced trim pot. At moderate levels the effect is somewhere between very moderate and unnoticeable. At elevated levels, saturating the transformer, the effect is more extreme depending on frequency content and the specific transformer. And of course, the thing providing the elevated level is probably also clipping, so that's a factor too.

This isn't beginner-level stuff, and the buyer was clearly a beginner. And he indicated that he had already bought an analog "color" box ($750) that gets touted here a lot and wasn't exactly getting miracles from it, so some "vintage transformer mojo" at half the price might be just the ticket.

I got the feeling that the guy would either return the boxes or come on GS calling me a charlatan or maybe both. Best to nip it in the bud.

In the latter case, it was a Bryston 3B power amp. The amp had unbalanced inputs and the guy was going to feed it from the balanced outputs of... I forget what. He seemed fairly inexperienced so I told him he'd need to make up a pair of balanced-to-unbalanced cables, and this was kinda sailing over his head. Do I take the chance of shipping a 50 lb boat anchor to someone who'll plug it in and get no audio and freak out? Nah.
I see, thanks for sharing. Makes a lot of sense.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
I just took a quick look, and you're right. It's not there. It certainly used to be; I'm glad they got rid of it.
Are you guys talking about the age of the listing on Reverb? It's under the Product Spec tab.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Are you guys talking about the age of the listing on Reverb? It's under the Product Spec tab.
Yep, you're right, I was wrong. Duh.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yep, you're right, I was wrong. Duh.
eh it's not exactly intuitive. The main reason I remember that it's there, is because the first time I found it, I thought that it shouldn't be there.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nice find. I don't think I've ever clicked that tab. If I'm buying something, I already know the specs
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Ok, just saw an ad on craigslist entitled mac pro for sale--then goes on to say its a hackintosh... Hello?
Old 21st August 2020
Gear Maniac

Heads up, got a fake Beta 87A from eBay this week. Looked through the listings and found several more:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-Beta-...EAAOSwrwxfOV0O

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHURE-beta-...MAAOSw0aNfOzFf

Note the single screw on the grip.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear