The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
reverb.com versus gearsluts classified versus ebay
Old 10th April 2019
  #91
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by postfader View Post
From a buying perspective, we are done with using reverb.com. After their system accepted our payment and it went thru, reverb.com subsequently put our account under review. Then our payment was refunded with no explanation and with no instructions about what to do next in order to make good on our offer to buy the gear. Since this happened over a weekend when there is no one at reverb.com to "review the account", we ultimately lost out on buying the gear. This is because unbeknownst to the buyer, the reverb.com system falsely represented to the seller that we, the buyer, cancelled the order (which is completely untrue). So over the weekend the seller sold the gear to someone else. I would have expected reverb.com to hold the funds pending the review and notify the seller the sale was still pending. Completing payment within 72 hours is supposed to be the reverb.com policy, but clearly their own system does not support that policy and works against the buyer. We've never had issues like this with eBay. Reverb.com never explained why the account was put under review.
They held up payment from a guy who bought an item from me for FIFTEEN days and No End In Sight!

I finally called them to tell them what I think about their endless runarounds and stringalongs and closed my account.
Old 10th April 2019
  #92
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Looks like reverb went from being aggressive in attracting customers to minimizing costs with poor service. That was quick. Short sighted management who takes the money out of the company now and degrades their brand going forward.
Old 11th April 2019
  #93
Gear Addict
 
musicalnyc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthmaven View Post
They held up payment from a guy who bought an item from me for FIFTEEN days and No End In Sight!

I finally called them to tell them what I think about their endless runarounds and stringalongs and closed my account.
Just wondering - how long had you been a member and how many previous sales did you have on Reverb before this one?
Old 11th April 2019
  #94
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Looks like reverb went from being aggressive in attracting customers to minimizing costs with poor service. That was quick. Short sighted management who takes the money out of the company now and degrades their brand going forward.

Most overused phrase on REVERB: "we are working on it".

They used it anytime I checked on why I still had not been "verified" to receive the money a customer had paid them for an ARP Sequencer I was selling.

French banks are notoriously anal when it comes to opening an account, so I have no idea what need there was for addictional "verification".

FIFTEEN days and finally the guy wanted his money back. Can't say I blame him.
Old 11th April 2019
  #95
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalnyc View Post
Just wondering - how long had you been a member and how many previous sales did you have on Reverb before this one?

I'd been on there for about 3 months and this was goign to be my first sale on Reverb. Been on ebay since the days of check mailing if you go back that far.

My ebay account by the same name is still active too.

Sure hope viable competition for both ebay and reverb comes along..
Old 13th April 2019
  #96
Gear Addict
 
musicalnyc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthmaven View Post
I'd been on there for about 3 months and this was goign to be my first sale on Reverb. Been on ebay since the days of check mailing if you go back that far.

My ebay account by the same name is still active too.

Sure hope viable competition for both ebay and reverb comes along..
I understand your frustration but I wouldn't expect much different for a first-time seller with an international bank account who joined Reverb three months ago and is attempting to sell a $2000 vintage synth accessory.

I get paid immediately upon posting tracking or purchasing a shipping label no matter the price of the item but that is a benefit earned over several years of membership, quick shipping on my sales, and perfect feedback.

Customer service has always been quick to respond via chat during business hours but it certainly helps to have a track record when you're in need of their help to resolve an issue.

Reverb is built like a community and it seems like it's working properly. Every issue I've ever had as a buyer is with a new seller with no history.

You can't just expect them to know your reputation from a matching eBay handle...

Last edited by musicalnyc; 13th April 2019 at 05:33 PM..
Old 13th April 2019
  #97
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
I have done a few transactions on reverb and they went ok. I did notice they like to sit on my money for a few days before they pay it to me, as an interest free loan...
Old 14th April 2019
  #98
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
I will throw in a shout out for a store out of Northampton MA called Mills River Music. They take a healthy cut but they do all the work and they advertise on both Ebay and Reverb so they get a huge audience as well as walk ins and their own site. They are the type of folks that you can do business with just on a handshake. I have sold a ton of stuff through them. Had I not moved from the east coast to AZ I would continue to sell thngs through them but alas the cost of shipping added on to their take now makes it rather expensive but anyone in the area should check them out.
Old 14th April 2019
  #99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
That’s only for new members. Once you get your post count up it’s free.
AFAIAA they stopped doing that like 3 years ago. Only members prior to that cutoff date got a free pass. For everyone else, now its a mandatory $20 per year for "INSTANT ACCESS" regardless of how long you've been a member or post count. Only eBay and Reverb listings are "free" to view/post. Which kinda sucks.
]

Slightly incorrect - eBay and Reverb.com listing links are "free" to post ("Boost"). Everything is free for members to view.

$20 Instant access permits members to list items for 1 year.
Old 15th April 2019
  #100
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalnyc View Post
I understand your frustration but I wouldn't expect much different for a first-time seller with an international bank account who joined Reverb three months ago and is attempting to sell a $2000 vintage synth accessory.

I get paid immediately upon posting tracking or purchasing a shipping label no matter the price of the item but that is a benefit earned over several years of membership, quick shipping on my sales, and perfect feedback.

Customer service has always been quick to respond via chat during business hours but it certainly helps to have a track record when you're in need of their help to resolve an issue.

Reverb is built like a community and it seems like it's working properly. Every issue I've ever had as a buyer is with a new seller with no history.

You can't just expect them to know your reputation from a matching eBay handle...
That is NO excuse for continually promising "someone will call you" and "we will email you" by this and this time and not doing it.

If they don't think that my listings are legit, they might as well delete them and refuse to open my account in the first place.

But to wait for a sale to happen and then act like this is completely ridiculous.

Besides, everyone makes their first sale at some point.

And French banks are quite fastidious before allowing you to open an account.

Nothing you said changes my mind about reverb. Good for you if it works for you but I got screwed for no reason.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #101
Gear Nut
 

Have never used Reverb.
Quit ebay in 2002.

I stick with kijiji here in Canada.
Old 1 week ago
  #102
Gear Head
Good to know about the fee change.

Reverb is a bit too nosy for my taste.. They demand way too much personal info and document scans and will pass your info on to a dutch version of the F B l if you decide to deal in their "reverb bucks".

Your information will then be stored for FIVE YEARS after your last transaction.

Maybe that doesn't bother some but I am not cool with that one bit.

I redid a 'store' there to sell a few items but now that I hear about the ebay fee price drop I will maybe move something over there next chance.
Old 1 week ago
  #103
Gear Head
ebay fee reduced on all or just some instruments?

I am researching ebay fees and only see that they reduced fees for sales of guitars, basses and amps. Am I missing something..? Anyone know what their fees are for synths and efx sales?
Old 1 week ago
  #104
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthmaven View Post
I am researching ebay fees and only see that they reduced fees for sales of guitars, basses and amps. Am I missing something..? Anyone know what their fees are for synths and efx sales?
I would like to see this on an ebay web page if anyone can find a link. This is very relevant to me.
Old 1 week ago
  #105
Gear Maniac
 
Accompianist's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I would like to see this on an ebay web page if anyone can find a link. This is very relevant to me.
It's 10% unless it's listed in the "Guitars & Basses" category.

Old 1 week ago
  #106
Gear Maniac
 
Accompianist's Avatar
 

Just to add to this thread, my dealings with eBay sellers have gotten progressively worse over the last year or two. Not sure what's going on over there, but I've gotten microphones with shorts; I've gotten a Fethead Phantom when the listing was for a regular Fethead; I've gotten "New, Sealed in Box" Roli gear that was not only opened and used, but also already registered to another account; and I've run into several sellers who didn't like how much their items sold for and thus never shipped.

I try to use Reverb as much as I can at this point.
Old 1 week ago
  #107
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accompianist View Post
It's 10% unless it's listed in the "Guitars & Basses" category.

Cool thanks,

"Guitars and Basses" also includes sub categories like amps, effects pedals, accessories and so on.

This allows me to dual-list on Reverb and eBay simultaneously for better visibility and a better chance of a sale.
Old 1 week ago
  #108
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I would like to see this on an ebay web page if anyone can find a link. This is very relevant to me.
I can give you the link I read earlier today:

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news...c-enthusiasts/
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump