The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
reverb.com versus gearsluts classified versus ebay Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

That's great Ponzi, but check this out. I did one today for a bunch of stuff I just couldn't unload on the marketplaces.

Swear to g they gave me only 100 bucks less than what I was trying to sell it for

No fees, no shipping, no waiting, not nothing. Straight up cash homie.

If they are going to sell it for a 40% markup, that's there business. I was trying to unload it at fair prices and no takers. One bass I've had up for sale in 3 locations for 3 months.

I'll take the cash over holding onto my morals, thanks.

I understand people wanting to hold on to top dollar but if it's not going to sell, and you are not going to use it anymore then what does it matter. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush, or whatever that saying is
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Also, some of the stuff I've got for sale here is taking WAY too long and I've lowered it as far as I can.

I'd rather get something for it than give it away.
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah G.C. is like an "old friend" in those times like you've just described. Great 2nd or 3rd option.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

It can go the other way in a hurry, so I understand some of the concern.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
...I'll take the cash over holding onto my morals, thanks...
Not often I am accused of excessively moral behavior, and I find it deeply offensive.

Seriously, I find it hard to imagine something not moving pretty quickly on craigslist by the time I put a GC level price on it, but if there are any 'faustian' bargains to be made when one is in a hurry, I have a strong preference for Willie's Guitar in St. Paul for guitar and bass, and ebay for anything else.

I had one case on ebay where a guy sold me a preamp wiht a broken guitar jack on it, and I believe he was not aware of that as it took me a while to discover. I opened a dispute wihhin ebay as he did not respond to emails. I thought it was resolved, so I closed the dispute. Learned that in ebay one cannot re-open a dispute for any reason whatsoever. I notified seller of the $120 cost of repairing the unit.

Well, left negative feedback and maybe 9 months later I got the $120 in paypal. I didn't know where it came from and called paypal and eventually figured out that dude eventually made it right with me after I considred it the cost of doing business.

In any case, that was the only problem I had with a seller on ebay that wasn't resolved quickly.

So, never had a financial crisis of a nature where I couldn't wait a week or two do do an ebay sale, and I never feel ripped off due to the auction nature of it--I always feel I got more or less what it was worth (minus shipping of course).

Also, a troubling recent development: ************** ebay shows feedback scores for people only for the last 12 months ********. You have to look at them more closely to see if there was negative feedback older than that--WTF?????

Last edited by ponzi; 6th April 2018 at 07:27 PM..
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Yeah G.C. is like an "old friend" ...
To me, more like a first wife--not an option..
Old 15th August 2018
Sweetwater have their own classifieds now too.

Regarding eBay and Reverb.com - the Gearslutz classifieds allows you to BOOST your pro audio listings for free.

Look for the orange eBay and Reverb.com tabs in the classifieds then you simply paste in your eBay or Reverb.com URL and our tech will grab the listing info and photos and promote it within our classifieds. For NO charge.

So you might as well go for the extra eyeballs on your for sale items.
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pigott View Post
Has it always cost $20U.S. to advertise on Gearslutz, or is this a new thing?
That’s only for new members. Once you get your post count up it’s free.
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Guru

I've sold a few things through eBay, but the fees were high. I've never once had a legitimate reply on Craigslist for anything. It has always been a scammer, every time. I have some gear on consignment at a store now. It's being advertised, price is totally in line with the market. Still, it's been a year and nothing. Don't think I'm up for Reverb, or shipping gear at all these days.

I'm going to try FB Marketplace this time. There seems to be a market that's moving there.
Old 7th October 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
That’s only for new members. Once you get your post count up it’s free.
AFAIAA they stopped doing that like 3 years ago. Only members prior to that cutoff date got a free pass. For everyone else, now its a mandatory $20 per year for "INSTANT ACCESS" regardless of how long you've been a member or post count. Only eBay and Reverb listings are "free" to view/post. Which kinda sucks.
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj88 View Post
AFAIAA they stopped doing that like 3 years ago. Only members prior to that cutoff date got a free pass. For everyone else, now its a mandatory $20 per year for "INSTANT ACCESS" regardless of how long you've been a member or post count. Only eBay and Reverb listings are "free" to view/post. Which kinda sucks.
You’re right. I found this post from Sniperschool
UK members in classifieds
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Maniac

In the old days of gearslutz classifieds, I used to sell things very quickly and make friends in the process, but since the paywall and individual item structure, I rarely if ever get bites or responses ever on my items so I mostly moved on. As a buyer, I miss clicking on a thread that had a bunch of items from one seller - and seeing who the member is before you click in - (people also used to post in peoples' threads for better or for worse - remember that?) it felt more like a community in that way.

Way less fun to browse 50 random items per page from unknown sellers (a lot of which end up being overpriced software licenses and multiple trs snakes from one seller) It's a very clunky and unrewarding browsing experience - compared to the tailored algorithmic feeds on the other sites. I rarely post items here anymore as they sell quickly on the other sites (albeit at higher prices to cover the high fees.) Here, I'm grandfathered in. Maybe things had to change but this is just my experience.

Last edited by musicalnyc; 7th October 2018 at 09:35 PM..
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalnyc View Post
Way less fun to browse 50 random items per page from unknown sellers (a lot of which end up being overpriced software licenses and multiple trs snakes from one seller)
Software should have it's own subcategory.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Reverb

The best method to sell on Reverb is to make your received payments through PayPal only. If you sell an item and the customer pays via Reverb's system, then not only will you have to wait until the item is delivered to the buyer, but you'll also have to wait until reverb has made even more money off your money by having your money sit in their account until they collect interest on it. Also, if you're a first time seller then you're FORCED to wait until the item is delivered, and you're also FORCED to let them deposit it into their account thereby FORCING you to wait until they've collected interest on your money, even if using the PayPal option. On your second sale if you use PayPal only, then as soon as the buyer pays for the item it goes right into your PayPal account, of which you can then go to the PayPal website and transfer the money immediately to your street bank account. I've been both an ebay and Reverb seller and buyer since 2006, I hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Ok... spent some more time selling on Reverb.com. I guess I have massive complaints at this point.

I sold a Boss pedal last Friday. It has just been delivered to the buyer.

They have hijacked my money and haven't even "started" the bank transfer. No explanation, no time frame specified. You want more information, they send you to a page with literally no information.

So I'm sitting here with no money, the guy already has the pedal.

They didn't even give me my shipping money up front.

I had to pay OUT OF POCKET to ship this item that has been 'paid for.'

It's just a huge waste of time when the whole point was to get a little bit of money to help me at the end of the month.

Yes I "will" get my money within the next few days, but the whole thing leaves me wishing I had just sold on eBay.

What a waste of time to save $7 or whatever it comes out to.

I'll be selling more big-ticket stuff on Reverb when time doesn't matter and margins do.

If you need money fast Reverb is a joke.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaint View Post
The best method to sell on Reverb is to make your received payments through PayPal only. If you sell an item and the customer pays via Reverb's system, then not only will you have to wait until the item is delivered to the buyer, but you'll also have to wait until reverb has made even more money off your money by having your money sit in their account until they collect interest on it. Also, if you're a first time seller then you're FORCED to wait until the item is delivered, and you're also FORCED to let them deposit it into their account thereby FORCING you to wait until they've collected interest on your money, even if using the PayPal option. On your second sale if you use PayPal only, then as soon as the buyer pays for the item it goes right into your PayPal account, of which you can then go to the PayPal website and transfer the money immediately to your street bank account. I've been both an ebay and Reverb seller and buyer since 2006, I hope this helps.
Thanks. I did not even know that was an option.

I guess I will have to do PayPal only from now on.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search