The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
reverb.com versus gearsluts classified versus ebay
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Ultimately reverb is a better deal, and if you should manage to become a prefered seller, like myself, you wind up paying even less
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

FYI--Just sold an item on reverb for $450 including $25 shipping. Reverb took $28.15 in selling and payment processing feels, so a 6.2% hit.
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Cunningham View Post

Lastly, I've found that reverbs customer service is great as a company, especially once it gets to the point where a buyer is coming after a seller for some reason. They really do back their sellers 100%.
I am about to buy something from Reverb for the first time and it appears to be a really good deal. It almost feels like a too good to be true deal, but the seller has sold a lot and has good reviews from everything I have seen. It is just that last sentence scares me a little if my purchase isn't what the seller says it is. Will I have a leg to stand on if I get ripped off or does the seller automatically get sided with ?
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Guru

Reverb has really been impressing me lately, think I'll be selling there much more often.

Saved me about $100 vs ebay fees this month already.
Old 19th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
I am about to buy something from Reverb for the first time and it appears to be a really good deal. It almost feels like a too good to be true deal, but the seller has sold a lot and has good reviews from everything I have seen. It is just that last sentence scares me a little if my purchase isn't what the seller says it is. Will I have a leg to stand on if I get ripped off or does the seller automatically get sided with ?
I guess I kinda misguided you with my post, it seems. If there's an issue that a seller wasn't the cause of, that's when Reverb will be there to bat for you. It also goes the other way. If you buy "5-pack of 10' XLR cables" and get a 10 pack of 5' XLR cables or something else (if your item does NOT match the sellers description), then Reverb will refund you your money, and provide a return shipping label (at least in my case).

The guys over at Reverb don't only go to bat for the sellers, they go to bat for whoever they deem is in the right. So in your case, if you purchase said item and it's not exactly as it's described, Reverb will aim to make it right. You can lose your reverb seller badges very quickly if you get grief from a customer.
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Cunningham View Post
I guess I kinda misguided you with my post, it seems. If there's an issue that a seller wasn't the cause of, that's when Reverb will be there to bat for you. It also goes the other way. If you buy "5-pack of 10' XLR cables" and get a 10 pack of 5' XLR cables or something else (if your item does NOT match the sellers description), then Reverb will refund you your money, and provide a return shipping label (at least in my case).

The guys over at Reverb don't only go to bat for the sellers, they go to bat for whoever they deem is in the right. So in your case, if you purchase said item and it's not exactly as it's described, Reverb will aim to make it right. You can lose your reverb seller badges very quickly if you get grief from a customer.
That is great to hear. I am sold and really hope all goes well with my first purchase with them tomorrow. I've been eye balling the site for the last six months, but eventually I couldn't resist giving it a shot. There is so much good product there that I don't see how I won't be buying from them from time to time. Much appreciated !
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

It's a shame that |Reverb hasn't taken off as much in the UK as it has in the States.

There's only 4 pages total of UK listed gear, and 95% of it is stuff I'm not interested in whatsoever(guitars, guitar amps, pedals).

We do have Gumtree here though, which doesn't have anywhere near the range of audio gear that eBay does, but you get better prices (no fees at all to buy or sell), and never had a problem.
eBay do take the biscuit with their final value fees as a seller, BUT.. I am 100% safe as a buyer on eBay, and can't say that for any other platform.

I've only bought from a seller in the States once via Reverb, and it worked out quite well, despite him short changing me on the shipping option and using a cheaper and slower service than the one I paid for (for the sake of 7 dollars! What's the point??)
I still saved 50% on the UK price after the import fees so I could afford to just put that one down to experience, but I wish American sellers in general were a bit less lazy about finding out how safe and easy it is to sell and ship to the UK/Europe.

Most of them will only quote USPS prices and refuse to accept another carrier, despite there being a lot of reputable options for less than half the price of USPS.
That's obviously the difference between a sale and no sale.

Re GS classifieds, I'm not going to pay to access a sales portal that offers me no protection whatsoever, no matter how good the price may be - simple as that.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Reverb has fantastic customer service. I had a disagreement with a seller over the quality/performance of a purchase, and Reverb ended up offering me Reverb Bucks - account credit for the purchase, which I gladly used on my next purchase. I was very impressed with how they handled the situation.

Thus far, I have only been a buyer, but I want to sell some items soon. I plan to only list items with Reverb and forget about ebay for anything gearslutty.
Old 17th March 2018
We buy and sell a lot of used gear. If you want a fast sale and $ in your Paypal account fast, it's usually Ebay. And of course, they're more expensive when you bill arrives. Reverb is cheaper and more organized visually for our products (mics, preamps, etc.). I've only sold 1 item here on Gearslutz and I've posted often. I would have thought this would be the place to sell but so far, no luck, even at really great prices.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
...I've only sold 1 item here on Gearslutz and I've posted often. I would have thought this would be the place to sell but so far, no luck, even at really great prices.
I purchased a couple of things here and was satisfied with the transactions, but I think a lot of people post here and at the same price on reverb, so best to go to the site that has formal buyer protection.

I also note that here a lot of the listings have unrealistically high prices--IMHO and can be months or years old--so not sure if still for sale or just not updated. So, maybe I should look here whenever I am looking for something, but it doesn't always come to mind where reverb does.
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Guru

Ok... spent some more time selling on Reverb.com. I guess I have massive complaints at this point.

I sold a Boss pedal last Friday. It has just been delivered to the buyer.

They have hijacked my money and haven't even "started" the bank transfer. No explanation, no time frame specified. You want more information, they send you to a page with literally no information.

So I'm sitting here with no money, the guy already has the pedal.

They didn't even give me my shipping money up front.

I had to pay OUT OF POCKET to ship this item that has been 'paid for.'

It's just a huge waste of time when the whole point was to get a little bit of money to help me at the end of the month.

Yes I "will" get my money within the next few days, but the whole thing leaves me wishing I had just sold on eBay.

What a waste of time to save $7 or whatever it comes out to.

I'll be selling more big-ticket stuff on Reverb when time doesn't matter and margins do.

If you need money fast Reverb is a joke.
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

In terms of buying, for me it's whoever has it especially if it's a rare item...Kijiji, Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, Reverb, local stores that sell used items, etc. etc. etc.

Right now I'm looking for the sampling card and KDFX card for my Kurzweil K2500R and it's impossible to find!

I found one site that has the sampling card, but they seem untrustworthy because they used to be a site just for selling women's clothes, and now they list everything including the Kurzweil card.
Old 27th March 2018
Deleted User
Bought an amp off Reverb recently for the first time and was very pleased. I still hesitate with most sellers there unless they are a commercial enterprise. Many private sellers at Reverb do not have enough feedback to give me a positive feeling about who I'm dealing with.

Reverb has gotten much better:

(1) A few years back, Ebay consistently had more music related listings and Reverb seemed to lack a critical mass. These days, Reverb often has more listings than Ebay and many of the same ads that show up on Ebay also show up on Reverb, so it really has taken off.

(2) When I first discovered Reverb a few years ago, it was populated with sellers who often listed at higher prices than what was available on Ebay. Reverb seemed to have been a haven for sellers who wanted to squeeze every last penny they could out of a buyer. Not cool for me the buyer, so I left. These days, Reverb prices have noticeably come down to the point where they are very competitive with Ebay, sometimes even better.

So yeah, I'll buy again at Reverb.
Old 27th March 2018
Deleted User
I have really scaled back on Ebay, unless it's the only source for what I'm looking for. That's because I found out their "buyer protection program" was completely worthless for me on a transaction that went bad. The seller listed an item in great condition but didn't disclose that a few pieces were missing. I opened an Ebay case to get my money back and Ebay sided with the seller, telling me that it was my fault for not asking if anything was missing. I mean WTF? I was stuck with an item that had problems.

The only success I've had with their protection plan has been when an item does not outright show up in my mailbox. Then they have always taken my side. But when an item was reported as not being as described, they slam dunked me. It's a myth that Ebay always takes the side of the buyer.

Last edited by Deleted User; 2nd April 2018 at 03:40 AM..
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

I got the best deal I ever got on Reverb not too long ago and their customer service was top notch. I will definitely buy from them again.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
...Reverb seemed to have been a haven for sellers who wanted to squeeze every last penny they could out of a buyer...
Not sellers so much as dreamers. Look at how many months some of that stuff is out there. For instance a fizbin interface is listed for sale at $500 and its been up there at that price for 6 months unsold. Then there are 5 other fizbins listed at $700. HELLO? Is someone going to buy the $700 one and skip the $500?

Yes, reverb does tend to sit on one's money for several days to give themselves an interest-free loan, presumably.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

For $20 bucks, the GS has served me well. I've sold about 1500 bucks worth for that price. But you have to deal with the schizophrenic differences in personalities and moderators if you post outside of that. It's $20 bucks and you are on your own.

I'm interested in Reverb, but the fee's look high to me.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Ebay is a NO-GO for me. I'm not shipping something to have someone f.. it up and whine for a refund then I'm out the money AND the good condition I sent it in.
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm finally trying craigslist, worried, will I be hijacked at gunpoint?
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
For $20 bucks, the GS has served me well. I've sold about 1500 bucks worth for that price. But you have to deal with the schizophrenic differences in personalities and moderators if you post outside of that. It's $20 bucks and you are on your own.

I'm interested in Reverb, but the fee's look high to me.
3.5% with a max of $350 and no insertion fees is high to you?
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm finally trying craigslist, worried, will I be hijacked at gunpoint?
There are some other threads with advice on how to handle CL sits. You should take a look at them when you have time.

Cheers.
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, neutral location, cash only, I was being factious kinda.
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Ok... spent some more time selling on Reverb.com. I guess I have massive complaints at this point.

I sold a Boss pedal last Friday. It has just been delivered to the buyer. So I'm sitting here with no money, the guy already has the pedal.They didn't even give me my shipping money up front.I had to pay OUT OF POCKET to ship this item that has been 'paid for.
Yes I "will" get my money within the next few days, but the whole thing leaves me wishing I had just sold on eBay.
I'll be selling more big-ticket stuff on Reverb when time doesn't matter and margins do.
If you need money fast Reverb is a joke.
What are you smoking?Reverb slays ebay in pretty much every way...stopped selling on Ebay because of the WAY higher fee's and subpar quality of buying clientle vs reverb...Ebay may have a slight upperhand in the shipping department however as I really wish reverb would implement a shipping checkout where buyer's can choose what service they want /pay for shipping that way instead of guesstimating and having Reverb take a piece of their TOTAL percentage out of the shipping costs but I digress.... thats really the only thing ebay has on reverb. literally.

You must be a reverb newb/done only a couple transactions,cus if you've sold multiple items on reverb you'd realize a majority of your hangups are simply not that accurate once you've got some solid reviews & transactions under your belt especially.

For example, If you link a credit/debit card &/or a bank account the funds are deposited quite quickly- especially if you have lots of transactions under your belt and their fee's are deducted before deposited in your account (within 2 days of adding tracking on a sold item) or if you opt for Reverb bucks then it's instantaneous. Ebay's notoriously slow for locking up your funds on holds in paypal as well....

Either way I'm happy thus far! 30k+ in reverb sales in the last year alone. Speaking of which, if anyone is ever looking for some quality built Capi Gear then DM me!
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
3.5% with a max of $350 and no insertion fees is high to you?

As someone else mentioned above it's actually more like 5-7%. Reverb charges 3.5% Selling fee + an additional 2.5-3.5% checkout fee depending how they purchase an item.
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Guru

Yes that's right, I only have a small handful of sales on Reverb.

My main hang-up right now is the time from shipping to payment.

I guess I just wasn't prepared for that coming from eBay. (who I do sort of view in some small way as a 'big evil corporation' or whatever the cliche is.)
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

So, do you have to pay these fees ON TOP of paypal? (which is the only way I'd do business)

If I'm reading this correctly, it's highway robbery. I mean, once you factor in all the inconveniences and fees what's the point? You can take it down to GC and get a **** streetbuy but w/o all the hassle.

Here's my point (since there are obviously some fanbois) I'm not shipping something to someone w/o getting the money up front, period. I'm giving up cray cray fees on top of that for sure.

That's why I like KVR and here. You put something up for sale, there might be some haggling (worst case scenario you say no) and then the buyer pays, you ship (or if it's software you do the transfer/fees) and walla. Two happy campers.

The rest of this sounds like a headache. The only way I'd pay those fees is if it was remarkably faster. I mean, if I'm desperate, I'll go to GC. In fact, sometimes I've gotten even more than my baseline and it's gone, done, no hassle.

Again if it's just ridiculously cheap, take your stuff and leave.
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

BTW, unless I'm mistaken, I think you can link reverb/e*ay here if it's used, right?

So if selling is a thing (a flipper or whatever) then for the 20 bucks you pay here you have yet another option, right?

So I guess what I'm saying is you shouldn't discount here (and I'm only a fan of the classifieds, not much else, so I'm a spokesperson )
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
So, do you have to pay these fees ON TOP of paypal? (which is the only way I'd do business)
No the second transaction fee is the paypal/direct checkout fee.
Quote:
Here's my point (since there are obviously some fanbois) I'm not shipping something to someone w/o getting the money up front, period.
You're not vulnerable like you think you are.... reverb gives you the go ahead to ship once they buyer has PAID.ONLY THEN do you ship. The buyer has 3 days to pay after accepting an offer/ checking out. If not the order is cancelled. Reverb has you covered.

Link a banking account and the payout process is initiated once you drop tracking....no waiting for it to arrive to the buyer and dealing with paypal money holds....again no upfront shipping costs either if you link a bank account or debit/credit card as reverb offer's a shipping discount program (similar to eBay's secret label creator) with insurance protection that is outside of USPS/UPS...it's their own company that theoretically handles all these issues so you don't have to go through the horrible procedures for usps insurance etc. They deduct the shipping and reverb fee's as well as providing an invoice every month when your profits are deposited.

Quote:
You put something up for sale, there might be some haggling (worst case scenario you say no)
Haggling/making an offer option is available on reverb as well at the seller's choosing upon creating a listing , so there's some of that there as well.

Quote:
I mean, if I'm desperate, I'll go to GC. In fact, sometimes I've gotten even more than my baseline and it's gone, done, no hassle.

GC, bro really? I mean on the desperate front there's always pawnshops right? Just a peg below GC in my mind really, but again I'm not on reverb to sell quick....if you wanna do that then you gotta take a multi-faceted approach usually full of low ballers...craigs, pawnshops, let go/apps.... and I guess GC. But c'mon f*&$ that.

Where to find the best deals & is a whole nother thing entirely however....
Old 2nd April 2018
Lives for gear

I think you are being a little harsh about the GC comment.

First, it is what it is. You take it in, they give you straight up cash homie No fees, no shipping, no questions, nadda. So though I understand what you are saying, you clearly didn't understand the part where I said if it's not kosher, you can walk. I've done both more than once. I've gotten more money than I thought and asked less.

What do you think I did when I was low-balled too much

Anyways, people can do what they want. I'm just giving another alternative, and frankly, as much as I hate forums, this one has a good classifieds, which I THINK was part of the OP
Old 2nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
FYI--Just sold an item on reverb for $450 including $25 shipping. Reverb took $28.15 in selling and payment processing feels, so a 6.2% hit.
PS This was a motu avb ultralite. I had it on craigslist for a few weeks with no interest from buyers. So, that 6.2% can be well worth it. Some items just don't have enough buyers to sell locally at a reasonable price.

As far as GC, never gonna do it. Any retail store is limited to offering half of what they can sell it for, so in my experience its always worth it to go thru the hassle of selling to a private party. I tried dealing with them a couple of times, low ball offers--not worth my time. If I do go, its gonna be Willie's Guitars--a music store with a soul.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search