The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SoundBetter but does it sellBetter?
Old 12th October 2016
Here for the gear

SoundBetter but does it sellBetter?

Hi everyone, I work for a 2 man audio services and production company in the UK and we've been picking up work on the Freelancing circuit online. We found soundBetter.com which is geared for artists to find audio professionals, it takes a hefty monthly fee which we're not sure we want to pay and you can't apply for jobs without paying (not even a free trial).

Do any of you make use of this website and if so would you say its worth the £40 a month? Are you getting a good couple of jobs a month or is it just like the other freelancing sites where its just a race to the bottom and you end up doing a mix for a crumpled £5 note and a half eaten biscuit?
Old 13th October 2016
Here for the gear

Hi Indican_sound,

I'm one of the founders of SoundBetter, and wanted to help answer your question.

You do not need to pay to get benefit from SoundBetter. It's free to create a profile at which point you can be found and invited to jobs by the tens of thousands of unique monthly visitors on SoundBetter.com looking for music production pros.

So far we've delivered over $2M worth of work to the pros on the platform. We're pretty proud of that, and believe it's made a real difference in the lives of those who earned it. Nearly all of that is from remote clients who found that provider on SoundBetter.

Approximately half of that amount was to basic (non paying) members.

The optional Premium membership is $39/month, and gives you extra visibility which leads to more job invites, as well as access to the job board. The job board is where musicians post their projects when they don't want to choose a specific provider but rather put out a request for proposal from our vetted Premium providers.

The vast majority of Premium members feel the return on that investment is so good, that they tell their friends. That's why we have hundreds of applicants to the Premium program at any given moment, most of them having been referred by other Premium members.

We vet applicants to the Premium program and reject most, while activating those we approve only when we are sure we have enough work for them to get a great return on their investment. Every month we pull more and more jobs, and then activate more and more Premiums into the program. If we were interested in taking money from Pros without concern about giving them a 10x return, we would just approve all of those hundreds of applicants and charge them. We don't do that.

There are many Premium providers who have already made tens of thousands of dollars on SoundBetter, all from remote clients they would likely never have connected with otherwise. Needless to say they are very happy. If you want me to connect you with a few, send me a private message. You can see on the site that there are pros with many dozens of verified reviews. Verified reviews are given only for jobs performed through SoundBetter.

We've found price is not a leading factor in how clients select the providers they hire. As a result of this, in addition to our vetting the providers for experience, the guidance we give our providers, minimum proposal amounts built in, the way we encourage clients to select providers who are right for the job, and our consistent messaging to clients that SB is a place to hire pros, it is not a race to the bottom at all, since you mentioned that as a concern. We discourage 'low ballers', free or test work, or anything of the sort. It's important for us to keep a professional platform for the benefit of both sides of the marketplace. No half-eaten biscuits here.

We are in this for the long haul, on a mission to help freelance audio engineers and music production pros get remote work, while helping musicians get access to the best pros anywhere in the world. Based on the feedback we get, I think it's working. We will keep working to make it better every day.
If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Old 13th October 2016
Old 23rd June 2018
Gear Head

I was just sent a mix for feedback on another forum. I assumed that this band was self-mixing and I sent an entire page of notes on my suggested fixes. I was shocked to learn that they had paid for that mix through SoundBetter.com. The band is unhappy and they're worried that they won't be able to break the contract.

If what I heard is typical of the service, it's garbage. I suppose it's not all that surprising. I hear similar stories from sites like freelancer.
Old 24th June 2018
Lives for gear

I appreciate what Soundbetter is doing and I`m sure a LOT of people need the service. I found an easier route to my weakness-myopic mixing. The solution? RELATIONSHIPS. I`ve built relationships over years of talking to people on forums just like this one. Now I have a couple of people who have recorded and produced lots of big albums that we`ve all heard one way or another. You couldn`t NOT know these albums. VERY reasonable prices because they are my friends now. Sometimes for free because they just really like the song and enjoy it! This is no joke. Almost the entire music business is based on personal relationships and trust. It`s really the only way.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Head
I hope Soundbetter continues to grow as a place where relationships can happen.
I'm working from a studio away from my home company, so I need to rely a lot on this kind of way of finding work, initially at least.

I do find the Soundbetter website a little confusing as a potential provider; I don't see (maybe I missed it.. sorry if so) what the deal is before filling in the in and joining up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search