The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"I am Muffley Williams - i will like to book a secession"
Old 26th September 2016
"I am Muffley Williams - i will like to book a secession"

Ah, this is getting funny now. For months I keep getting these emails that smell scammy. Same person using different names and email addresses. I don't answer anymore but they keep coming. Here are a few recent ones:

August 1st from [email protected](redacted).com
"Hello this is Smith i will like to know if you can do Music Recording for my 3 new artist and i will like to know if this the Owner or the Manager of the Studios and do you accept credit card as payment? and i wanna know this free days you have in this month please do get back to me" -- No way that person's real name is David Smith!

Sept 6th from [email protected](redacted).com
"Hello

This is lauren mike, i will like to know if you can do Music Recording for my 6 new artist and i will like to know if this the Owner or the Manager of the Studios and do you accept credit card as payment? and i want to know the free 2 days you have in this month please kindly get back to me so that we can proceed."

And my personal favorite came this morning, Sept 26th from [email protected](redacted).com
"Hello
I am Muffley Williams, how you doing today i will like to book a secession for Three of my new artist so i will like to no your calendar for this month and i will like to know if you accept credit card for your payment ...a friend of my gave me you contact and he told me you very good in what you do, pls kindly get back to me with the free days you have in this month with the price for your secession ASAP"
-- Muffley Williams!

Anyway, just sharing that because it made me laugh, and wondering if anyone else is getting emails from this person?

Cheers,

J~
Old 26th September 2016
Here for the gear

I received that exact Muffley Williams email today. Felt too much like spam, but I searched Google to confirm and found your post.

-Scott
Old 27th September 2016
Thats quite priceless honestly. I'd print and frame that. I've had some interesting emails over the last few years too. Gotta love the interwebs
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

What he's really looking for is for you to bring some clarity to his vocal tracks so he can lose that damn nickname.
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

When he tells people he's just trying to "secede" they get the wrong impression.
Old 27th September 2016
Lots of people want to freeload but that sounds really blatant.

A swift kick would have been epic!
Old 27th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visiondj View Post
I received that exact Muffley Williams email today. Felt too much like spam, but I searched Google to confirm and found your post.

-Scott
That's interesting that you and I are both in the Bay Area. Maybe Muffley is a local person? Makes sense - a real session would take place, but payment? - not so much.

I dug up his reply from back in April after the one time I had replied to him:

"Thanks, i want you to make vocal recording for 3 person and a maximum of 4 hours on each person doing two song each plus mixing and i want you to get back to me with the total estimate for 3 people because i have a Music Show & some concerts coming up soon and i also want you to know that the people who will come to have the Music recording will come with a private transportation driver and i also want you to know that i will be making full payment with my credit card information to charge for all expenses i want you to get back to me with the type of credit cards accepted and i also want you to get back to me Studio address so that i can have your Studio information complete with me so that i can forward to the driver who will drop the people to your Studio to have the recording." -- This was so fishy sounding that I decided to never again reply to this person - suspicious fake identity combined with a weird separation of himself from the process = no thanks. Would be the riskiest credit card transaction ever. But the emails keep coming - I wonder what the next alias will be...
Old 27th September 2016
Well that didn't take long! New twist this time - hearing impaired!

"Hello how are you doing today?Am Mr micheal charles am hearing impaired I would like to know if you do music recording and how much you charge per hourfor your sessions. I have 10 artists that will be needing your service.Also , what type of payments do you accept and which days do you have available from 17th to 21th of october?I will be waiting to get the informations I requested and we can proceed from there."

This time I can see that this same email was sent to 5 different studios located throughout California...
Old 28th September 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
That's interesting that you and I are both in the Bay Area. Maybe Muffley is a local person? Makes sense - a real session would take place, but payment? - not so much.
I don't advertise my studio online, but teach drum lessons in SF (sfdrumlessons.com). They emailed me at that address. I feel like this person likely found me on Yelp. Their email made even less sense for drum lessons!
Old 28th September 2016
Lives for gear
These are all overpayment scams-

I get tons of these...by text message as well. If you let them go any further they will explain that they want to pay the xxxx for the studio, plus an additional 3000 for the driver and other expenses. Then they want you to take a CC charge for all of it and refund the 3k in cash. They must have a way to then do a chargeback or maybe the card takes some days to actually get declined.

Even if it was legit (which it obviously isn't), I don't know why anyone would agree to that from just a tax perspective. I can't imagine it works very often.
Old 28th September 2016
Deleted 7f9cade
You have to wonder what these people are thinking. Why try to scam a recording studio? A studio is not going to send $500 via western union to anyone.
No matter how much of a Nigerian prince that person may be.

Are they just trying to get a total dumbass to let them show up, record, leave with, song and not pay?
I think even the most novice of recording school grads would not go for that. I hope at least.

It seems like there are many other targets that would be much easier. Who knows.

@ track worx. How funny would it be if one of these emails had a link to their own project studio and it turned out to be one of the many places that steals your picture.
Old 28th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
These are all overpayment scams-

I get tons of these...by text message as well. If you let them go any further they will explain that they want to pay the xxxx for the studio, plus an additional 3000 for the driver and other expenses. Then they want you to take a CC charge for all of it and refund the 3k in cash. They must have a way to then do a chargeback or maybe the card takes some days to actually get declined.
Makes sense.

Now I'm getting tempted to start messing with old Muffley Williams. The way some people mess with telemarketers...

Anyone got any tricky suggestions for what I should say to him?

Old 28th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7f9cade View Post
@ track worx. How funny would it be if one of these emails had a link to their own project studio and it turned out to be one of the many places that steals your picture.
That would be poetic
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Makes sense.

Now I'm getting tempted to start messing with old Muffley Williams. The way some people mess with telemarketers...

Anyone got any tricky suggestions for what I should say to him?

Maybe tell him that a label has contacted you and expressed interest in Muffley!

The deal is though, Muffley will have to pay 5k cash in order to pitch to this very successful label. If he is willing, then you would be able to accept his credit card payment of 5k AND even refund the 3k cash to the driver!

Everyone wins.
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Put yourself in Mufflet's shoes. He can hit a certain number of potential targets in a certain amount of time with a generic cut n paste email.

You can assume that he will continue trying as long as his revenue amply compensates his invested time....or his hope of a profit continues.

Wind him up...in such a way that he can't cut and paste. Specific detailed questions he has to answer to keep you going,but which don't alert or scare him.

When you've wasted enough of his time and got him at a fever pitch, pull the plug and make him eat ashes.

Thing is...he's already beat someone out of a card number that will clear for long enough to get the extra you send back. Probably over the net. You want him mad at your E-mail...studio name...actual address...and phone?
Old 8th October 2016
Gear Guru

Response #1: We tried secession once. It didn't really work out.

Response #2: I don't know, but redacted.com seems to be a really hot label these days. If William Smuffley is half the producer I think he is, this could be a great gig.

Response #3: I thank your interested. My clients are all successfully very. Just and happy with my work. My rate is hourly $300 USD. I can be booking with you all the time. Please to specify the dates and wire funds to my account at Bank of Zamunda. I will forwarding my account number to you presently when ready.

Last edited by kafka; 8th October 2016 at 08:48 PM..
Old 8th January 2020
'Got a new guy... :

Hello, how are you doing today? I am Mark by name, i would like to know if you are available for a Recording Studio session service, How much do you charge per hour and also per day? i will also need the below information from you:

Your Name.....
Your Studio Address.....
Cell Phone Number....
Are you the Studio Owner.....

Regards,
Mark.

I keep thinking of newbie studio owners possibly falling for this rubbish...
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

I’m going to call my band Muffley Williams.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search