The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post The Worst Mix You've Ever Heard
Old 5th April 2016
Post The Worst Mix You've Ever Heard

I am learning about mixing. I would like to see some quality examples of what NOT to do. Go wild. Thanks.
Old 5th April 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoteKnotion View Post
"… some quality examples of what NOT to do.
Yogi Berra lives.
Old 5th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Yogi Berra lives.
I played Tee-Ball when I was like 8 so I can see the comparison makes sense
Old 5th April 2016
Gear Guru

It would probably be something I did in the first few months of working at a studio, or something that would piss people here off, because it sold a gazillion copies but I freaking hate it.

Sometimes you just have to work through the **** and work it out. Go forward and be bold. Also be honest and critical of yourself and take what people have to say about your work seriously, but not personally.
Old 5th April 2016
Although this is supposed to have a raw sound they took it a bit too far with this mix.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 6th April 2016 at 07:16 AM..
Old 5th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo81 View Post
Although this is supposed to have a raw sound they took it a bit too far with this mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGYtR2b6jn0

Ha ha aha ahaHAAaaaaaaaa ha ha.. wow...

White noise with a bit of drums haha.... That was awesome!!!
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGYtR2b6jn0
That is actually what black metal is all about... Raw and unproduced. I hate it though... There is even a joke every time a video is in HD... "480p or less otherwise its not black metal lol"
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

That would be one of mine and no thanks.
Old 6th April 2016
Gear Head

Damn. That knocked it out of the park on the first try.
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is interntionally made to sound thin and noisy. There's hundreds of other black metal albums sounding like this, or even worse. This is a genre thing. I would argue that this is not a bad mix at all as it totally nails the sound of the genre.
Old 6th April 2016
Why is it ok if it is culture ?... it still sucks bad doesn't it ?
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
That would be a matter of taste, in this case depending on whether you like the band and/or black metal aesthetics in general. Totally different discussion in my opinion. If a black metal band enters your studio with an artistic vision and leaves the studio with a mix that nails it I wouldn't call it a bad mix. If you worked with a black metal band and delivered a polished, mainstream mix, THAT would be a bad mix in my opinion. It's all about creating emotions, even bad ones.

Personally I think pretty much everything recorded in the 80s sounds like but that's just the sound of the 80s so that's just my personal taste, not bad mixing.
Old 6th April 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post
This is interntionally made to sound thin and noisy. There's hundreds of other black metal albums sounding like this, or even worse. This is a genre thing. I would argue that this is not a bad mix at all as it totally nails the sound of the genre.
The thing is - although this sounds "bad" it most certainly isn't raw and un-produced. You gotta do stuff to make it sound this way .... its just doing the "wrong stuff" intentionally..... it has some merit surely even if I don't like it!! heh
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Unless there are obvious technical anomalies this is futile exercise in my opinion, how can you learn "what not to do" by listening to mixes you don't know about. Without the back story of who decided what and why, and without the experience to evaluate what may be happening in a mix, you're not going to learn anything.

How will you separate your taste from that of the producer, band and mixer. How do you know they (the relevant participants) didn't achieve their objective, because as long as they did, your opinion is worthless.
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
The thing is - although this sounds "bad" it most certainly isn't raw and un-produced. You gotta do stuff to make it sound this way .... its just doing the "wrong stuff" intentionally..... it has some merit surely even if I don't like it!! heh

Maybe.
But ... I think these guys would be better off saving the money they spend on their studio time, and just record on their own at their practice space (maybe they did?).

When I was 15 years old, me and a friend of mine "recorded" some black/death (whatever) metal that sounded exactly (as bad) as this. Was fun though!
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
I disagree. I don't like it cause I like Rock pop, alternative type sound BUT, if I mixed a black metal band with a real black metal audience, and made it sound super produced that will actually be a terrible black metal mix. If purist and clean sound defined a good mix then by classical standards all Rock mixes suck.
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

GTR when the heart rules the mind! Awesome band they were great live but the single mix sounded like somebody released an early demo!
Old 6th April 2016
Quote:
Probably because everyone who makes this type of music is now def to anything above 700khz.

How to make black metal:
-load up noise generator, set to white noise.
-boost 2-16k +15db
-scream random ****
-shred a 2 chord progression.
-done
Next track-repeat

I would sure hate to go to one of those concerts. Instant ear destruction. I thought EDM was a killer.
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

I'm just happy we don't all make the same music as everybody else...life and music is so much more interesting for it.
Old 6th April 2016
Quote:

I chose that album because they certainly had the means and the know-how to make a good-sounding lo-fi kvlt mix, but instead they did that....
Bad mixes by people who dont know better, such as myself, isn't as interesting I think.
Old 6th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Wow that may be the worst distorted guitar sound I've ever heard.
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Old 6th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
mother****** srsly
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Holy crap, I listened to the intro and was like ok this is real bad....then the singer came in and it was all over
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Lol.. look at the grin on that guys face at 1:40 as he walks by..

Yeah 1:40.. I made it that far. Don't judge
Old 7th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishmusic View Post
Holy crap, I listened to the intro and was like ok this is real bad....then the singer came in and it was all over
I somehow think it was on purpose. I mean that synth patch for the lead...really? Come on there are freaking presets. I think the keyboard guy got a synth, turned it on and it was set to sine wave. He's like well I guess that's what it does.
Turn a knob man!
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

This is horrible musicianship...nothing to do with the topic of the thread.
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

I really never understood this mix - it sounded drunk,wet and weird the first time I heard it almost 30 years ago.
Otherwise mars fine performances by excellent musicians...

Old 7th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmbeatz View Post
Maybe.
But ... I think these guys would be better off saving the money they spend on their studio time, and just record on their own at their practice space (maybe they did?).

When I was 15 years old, me and a friend of mine "recorded" some black/death (whatever) metal that sounded exactly (as bad) as this. Was fun though!

Haha. Yes the story is that they spent their entire studio budget on booze and expensive clothing and did indeed record in their practice space.
When the album came out, the record label promoted it as "recorded in a forest".
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

I'm Too Dumb For A Smart Phone https://soundcloud.com/cjogo/im-too-...r-a-smartphone

Last edited by cjogo; 7th April 2016 at 06:42 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search