Old 7th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoteKnotion View Post
Post The Worst Mix You've Ever Heard
There is no bottom to that well.
Old 7th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post
This is interntionally made to sound thin and noisy. There's hundreds of other black metal albums sounding like this, or even worse. This is a genre thing. I would argue that this is not a bad mix at all as it totally nails the sound of the genre.
I've kept a corner of one eye on black metal for a number of years because of some friends I have -- not to mention perverse, idle curiosity. Coming from a background in the early days of punk, I'm no stranger to the idea of fans 'distrusting' music that sounds too slick (and yet some of the most important early punk records were well recorded... I think, in those days, a well recorded studio sound was more seen as a 'warning flag' to many of us, rather than something that would sink a band's cred completely).

It's undoubtedly the perspective of an outsider, but I can't shake the idea that, just as punk became boring and formula-driven moving into the 1980s and beyond, black metal seems to have become focused on recreating a specific sound/style/studio formula that suggests 'street credibility' to black metal fans despite its formula-driven cliches. Like a LOT of musical genres that 'demand loyalty and commitment' from their fans, I suppose. Lifestyle genres?
Old 29th October 2019
Gear Nut

Love the song and their performances but don't understand the mix at all. Every single sound is muffled or distorted or stripped of any personality. While the balance is good and voices are clear I can't really make out instruments at all, mix is incoherent mud, mentally I'm always reaching for that +15dB high shelf boost knob.

Old 29th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
Love the song and their performances but don't understand the mix at all. Every single sound is muffled or distorted or stripped of any personality. While the balance is good and voices are clear I can't really make out instruments at all, mix is incoherent mud, mentally I'm always reaching for that +15dB high shelf boost knob.

To hell with the mix, Lana wants me to take off all my clothes, thats good enough for me!!!!!
Old 29th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
In the sense that the engineer does his best to massacre decent playing and singing and songwriting, this one is right up there. It's not like, say, a Shaggs record where everything's equally awful. Good choice!

In the same vein, here's my nomination:

Old 29th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
In the sense that the engineer does his best to massacre decent playing and singing and songwriting, this one is right up there. It's not like, say, a Shaggs record where everything's equally awful. Good choice!

Jeez! is that for real? Diabolical - and I LOVE mixes pushed to the point of distortion!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Dat DRUM !!!!

This is the only song a guy named Mikkel Eriksen mixed on her album (the rest were mixed by actual professionals).

How the hell did this get a pass? How the hell the mastering let it slip through? Did someone actually like it?

I re-processed the track with EQ (for personal taste), took almost 20dB of reduction to tame that stupid drum. Someone had a 160Hz null in their mixing room or something.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Given that this is a modern big-budget thing for a movie - yeah I know it's for kids - but the mix is terrible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
Dat DRUM !!!!

This is the only song a guy named Mikkel Eriksen mixed on her album (the rest were mixed by actual professionals).

How the hell did this get a pass? How the hell the mastering let it slip through? Did someone actually like it?

I re-processed the track with EQ (for personal taste), took almost 20dB of reduction to tame that stupid drum. Someone had a 160Hz null in their mixing room or something.
That mix sounds awesome... I mean not incredible, but a proper good mix Id say... Im not in studio at the moment, but on my portable gear, it sounds legit.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post

Damn
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search