The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Last King of Scotland-Forest Whitaker
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Last King of Scotland-Forest Whitaker

hey have any of you seen this very powerful film?

holy crap!

visually stunning and I really like the blown out graininess imparted on many images.

Forest Whitaker is truly a force to be reckoned with.

the soundtrack is sorted also--I used to dj afrobeat and afrohouse, et. al, and got a little burnt on the whole stylee but I can see opening that box back up.

this film did a great job at making me feel good and loose before scaring the **** out of me.

Nice to see Gillian Anderson looking so fine post-agent Scully, as well.

a great double bill would be this film and the Constant Gardener.

might be a bit of a downer, though...
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarembo View Post
hey have any of you seen this very powerful film?

holy crap!

visually stunning and I really like the blown out graininess imparted on many images.

Forest Whitaker is truly a force to be reckoned with.

the soundtrack is sorted also--I used to dj afrobeat and afrohouse, et. al, and got a little burnt on the whole stylee but I can see opening that box back up.

this film did a great job at making me feel good and loose before scaring the **** out of me.

Nice to see Gillian Anderson looking so fine post-agent Scully, as well.

a great double bill would be this film and the Constant Gardener.

might be a bit of a downer, though...

I wanted to check that out. I guess I will now.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

you know, i gotta say... i loved mr. whitaker's performance to be sure, talk about owning a character thru and thru, and everyone else's performance for that matter, but i (and i know this doens't make sense) i just didn't dig the film itself.

i guess maybe it was the script i didn't like. i still recommend it though, definetly worth seeing.

peace!

FM

FM sometimes mistakes the way you talk for what you are thinking.
Old 2nd February 2007
I think it was poorly edited, IMHO and the visual style to me was a bit contrived - it looked like they mixed stocks quite a bit and did some obvious cross-processing type stuff (which might have been in the DI, not necessarily in the lab). it was shot on super 16mm and blown up to 35 to amplify the grain a little. in general I wasn't crazy about the way it was shot.

Forest Whitaker was amazing, though, hope he gets the Oscar. He deserves it.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
I think it was poorly edited, IMHO and the visual style to me was a bit contrived - it looked like they mixed stocks quite a bit and did some obvious cross-processing type stuff (which might have been in the DI, not necessarily in the lab). it was shot on super 16mm and blown up to 35 to amplify the grain a little. in general I wasn't crazy about the way it was shot.

Wow...I bet the rest of the entire movie watching population was really disappointed in how the movie was shot.

Good observation Roger Ebert.
Old 3rd February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
Good observation Roger Ebert.
It sure is nice to be able to have intelligent discourse around here.

It's the same 'rest of the population' that doesn't give a rats ass how a record was tracked or what it was tracked through. But that's all we talk about on the other boards.

For the record, I make my living in film, and specifically in the camera department. I'm probably less qualified to post on other topics than I might be on this one. So obviously I'm going to have a certain kind of opinion.

Sorry for sharing it, obviously no one's interested. I'll f*ck off now.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post

ah, the gifted eye of the film maker!

I like that term you use, mixing stocks. makes perfect sense what I was seeing and that's definitely what I'd call it.

I think I'm drawn to stuff that looks less than hollywood, and this film to me had little or none of that feel.

Do you think they were going for the grain to give it more of a time-appropriate feel, ie early 1970's? or perhaps a budget restriction?

I for one welcome intelligent discourse in these parts and that's why I made the post in the first place.

maybe it's my liberal arts education but I think it's perfectly fine when we don't all agree on the same thing but can still talk about it and around it without being petty.

thanks for your insight on the way it was shot.

Would you like to be more specific in your critique on the editing?

I want to go see it again and sit further back this time....I was with a mate who loves to sit right up front so I'm there with my head tilted back looking up.....going....wowwwww. seems like you miss stuff up so close.

cheers
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, but can it top "Ghost Dog?"

Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

never
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

'Last King...' is easily the best film I've seen in years!
Also IMO had the film had been slicker ie all the same stock as somebody put it and smooth editing it would have merely been slightly above mediocre rather then the masterpiece that it is.
The last film that had such an emotional impact I've seen was 'Man Bites Dog'.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search