The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Ultimate Reverb VS ebay VS Craigslist Thread
Old 18th November 2015
Gear Head

The Ultimate Reverb VS ebay VS Craigslist Thread

Simple... which do you prefer and why?

OR which do you prefer for a specific purpose and why?

*grabs popcorn and pipe*
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

Reverb - lower fees and cooler customers, great staff but gear can take longer to sell
Ebay - gear moves faster and usually at a higher price, but is offset by higher fees and scammers
craigslist - sifting through scams, trade offers, and lowballing is a drag, but when someone buys it's for cash and the item is gone without having to ship it.

I'd prefer craigslist, but it is of limited value. Reverb is the online winner for me. Ebay is the last resort.
Old 18th November 2015
Gear Nut
I love craigslist for the sheer entertainment value. You could do your whole post with "NO TRADE OFFERS" between each sentence and still the emails come flooding with offers for broken fax machines, alloy rims, ar-15's and lawn care.
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Head

I tend to:

1) Buy on ebay (Never Sell there; what a fee/logistical nightmare that's become)

2) Sell on Reverb (and buy there occasionally). They're the most amazingly organized/straight-forward site and most awesome staff of any audio-visual gear commerce site on the internet, imo.

3) Trade/Buy/Sell larger items on Craiglist to avoid hefty shipping fees on things like synthesizers, mix consoles, etc.

For great deals and obscure estate/garage sale type gear finds, I think ebay and Craigslist are probably best, but I have gotten some amazing items on Reverb for peanuts, as well.

On Reverb & Craigslist, my items always seem to sell within 1-5 days, but I don't overprice, always have "free shipping" (I build that into my ask price) and always make sure I have killer photos and good, paragraph-style descriptions. I describe the things that I would want to know if I was a buyer. Mainly though... good, clear, well-composed photos are 90% of having success in online sales on any site. Photos make or break most sales.

My 5 cents.
Old 19th November 2015
Ebay is hit or miss for me. I always go out of my way to describe every tiny nick and detail but I think it hurts fast sales for some reason. I want the buyer to get exactly what they're paying for. On the other hand, at least 50% of the gear I've purchased on Ebay has been less than described but you're in a box with that feedback meter. It's usually little things but still. I do have a hard fast rule never to purchase anything on the opposite coast unless it's expedited shipping.

I also know that there are some big name items from big named companies that get passed around on Ebay and you don't want to be without a chair when the music stops. 103s, Kiwis and others that I've read about. I think dealing here with long time sluts is the safest place. Every experience has been spot on.
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear
Ebay:
- I used to like it a lot for selling, but find myself using it a lot less due the the exorbitant fees.
- I like purchasing off of Ebay. Lots of products at great prices
- I really like the protection and money back guarantee features

Reverb:
- Reminds me of a pawn shop. You expect great prices, but a lot of people seem to inflate prices.
- selling fees are better than Ebay but on average it takes longer to sell stuff.

Craig's List:
- I like using it selling because it's free.
- I like using it for local purchase even though it can be slim pickings.
- I have successfully purchased gear from out of state, but tend to lose sleep due to feeling less protected.
Old 20th November 2015
Here for the gear
I buy frequently from ebay, have not nor will ever sell anything there.

Craigslist-don't check it very often, I have purchased a Hammond spinet organ and could pick it up a short drive away so it can be good for heavy bulky items.

I just found out about Reverb from this thread, thanks!!
Old 20th November 2015
What about the Gearslutz classifieds? No fees at all but I think in all the time I've had ads here, I might have sold 2 or 3 items.
Old 20th November 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
Reverb:
- Reminds me of a pawn shop. You expect great prices, but a lot of people seem to inflate prices.
- selling fees are better than Ebay but on average it takes longer to sell stuff.

I tend to agree with this assessment, with a small expansion:

I think Sellers inflate on Reverb because they pretty much know that they are going to inevitably get an Offer for 20-30% less than their ask price, yet most seem fine with accepting Offers that are reasonable, even if a bit below their ask.

Funnily enough, one time I had an item up for $20 w/ free shipping and a guy threw an Offer at me of $5. Slightly miffed at the lowball, I responded with a counteroffer of $25. He wrote back and asked what my deal was and I replied, "well, if we're just throwing out ridiculous numbers, I figured I should play too" and we started laughing about it after a couple messages. That night he ended up buying three items from me for $50. lol. A good attitude is important with any of the sites.

Yes, it takes longer to sell if you overprice, definitely, which like you said, most Reverb sellers do (but like said above, most will negotiate). I try to price under what would be consider "inflated," yet still high enough that if someone sends me an Offer asking for 20% Off (which they usually do), I'm still happy with the final number I see.

5 more cents.
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

I like Craigslist as a buyer. You have to be patient and then lightning strikes. I've got my best deals on CL, but you have to be opportunistic and not be looking for a specific item. As a seller you have to be realistic about all the scams etc. It's mostly pretty obvious stuff, though.

The classifieds here are great for buying and selling, but again it may be hard if you're looking for a specific item. I've messaged people with old ads and found out they never sold the item, so it's always worth a try.

I've sold and bought on Reverb. It's better than eBay.

I only buy on eBay, and only "Buy it Now". The feedback system keeps about half the people honest.
Old 20th November 2015
10cents more on Ebay. I have yet, this year, to get an item purchased in a timely fashion. There has been some kind of holdup, the seller yawns after they get the dough and then all the excuses start, "oh you wanted it now", "I send it when I get home from vacation" have actually been emailed. I sell and send within one day of receiving $ but purchasing there has stopped beginning with my last purchase where the seller didn't have a bank attached to his account and the money sat unclaimed .
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on the listings on GS, and have never had any major problems. Mostly nice folks who have done research about what they are buying/selling.

I also like the fact that you can PM someone months later and ask a question if you need to.
Old 21st November 2015
I hate ebay thesedays with a passion as a seller, it's not just the fees, postage costs are higher than they have been for years since privatising royal mail, it keeps going up whilst wages remain mostly the same, they'd better keep printing the money to keep raising the price of everything until society collapses.
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Addict
Yup eBay blows...... reverb is the place to sell for me ....I still buy on eBay though!
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
I also like the fact that you can PM someone months later and ask a question if you need to.
This is such a good point. GS Classifieds and Reverb are really the only two places this is still possible.

ebay has so automated everything that they basically don't want people talking to each other like real people anymore and if you contact someone you made a deal with on Craigslist months later = "this number is no longer in service," IF you even bothered to save the person's number in the first place. Lol

Man, the deals on Craigslist are pretty killer when they come though, that's for sure. I saw a Juno 106 for $60 bucks last month! It was already sold though when I called. *weeps*
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarmageddon View Post
... and still the emails come flooding with offers for broken fax machines, alloy rims, ar-15's and lawn care.
Haha! All from the same guy.
Old 21st November 2015
RTR
Lives for gear

I stopped buying and selling on ebay. the fees are nuts for selling, and there are just to many companies selling than I like. I used to like it when it was regular people selling on ebay. I have never bought from reverb, I have browsed but you can usually find stuff cheaper than on reverb. As for CL, its not that great for me. I have had a brand new tube amp on there for 5 months and its still there. I know it has a lot to do with my location.
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I have to say kudos to Reverb.com. What a great site. I've bought a few amps and a guitar recently from Reverb sellers, and all was super smooth. I've also sold a couple of things, and I agree that the customers are cooler, and it seems to weed out the flakes. Reverb also has awesome customer service, it it's so easy to post a listing

Oh yeah, and Ebay fees these days are bordering on downright criminal...
Old 27th March 2017
I buy from all 3, whoever has the best deal.

Just recently found out about reverb. Ordered some acoustic panels, and got a great deal.

Bought a lot of stuff on craigslist that you cant ship easily (like my studio desk or large bass traps even my studio subwoofer). Also sold studio monitors and mic stands through craigslist

On Ebay, ive sold a lot of gear like mics, preamps and interfaces. Ive also gotten GREAT deals on mics getting lucky on ebay. Preamps too, even bought studio monitors. Ebay usually has good deals on software / plugins as well. They are all great.

Another place to check is sweetwater, sometimes they have open box demos or just a good price on new gear. And they offer 24&36 month financing on large purchases. Makes buying a nice piece of gear a lot easier to handle.

I also like zenpro audio for my cable needs. They have best prices anywhere and top quality
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

I sold a lot on ebay from 1998 to 2008. Sold my first item since then last week. Fee structure; wow. 3x what it used to be. Haven't tried Reverb yet.
Old 27th March 2017
Selling on Ebay when you want to reach a huge audience, sell fast, and need $ instantly on Paypal. You have to go in knowing you're losing $ with their fees but need it now.

Reverb is my favorite but your first sale can take a long time to get paid. The fees are much more reasonable and it's gear we're interested in. It's interesting to just go there to see what's selling these days. The hard fact is that big name - Neumann, Fender, etc. sell faster. Boutique items will sell on Reverb because the audience is more sophisticated but it may take awhile.

It's hard to sell "special" mics that you know are valuable but don't have name recognition. I was lucky enough to purchase a Violet Design Globe for $600, well below it's worth but not a big name badge. TLM103 and 49s sell immediately if the price is close to being fair, everywhere.
Old 27th March 2017
Selling on Ebay when you want to reach a huge audience, sell fast, and need $ instantly on Paypal. You have to go in knowing you're losing $ with their fees but need it now.

Reverb is my favorite but your first sale can take a long time to get paid. The fees are much more reasonable and it's gear we're interested in. It's interesting to just go there to see what's selling these days. The hard fact is that big name - Neumann, Fender, etc. sell faster. Boutique items will sell on Reverb because the audience is more sophisticated but it may take awhile.

It's hard to sell "special" mics that you know are valuable but don't have name recognition. I was lucky enough to purchase a Violet Design Globe for $600, well below it's worth but not a big name badge. TLM103 and 49s sell immediately if the price is close to being fair, everywhere.
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

What's wrong with selling here at Gearslutz? I have been out of the seller's market for a long time (thank God) so I don't know anything about Reverb.com. If you had to chose only one place to sell, why would one choose Reverb.com (with fees) over Gearslutz?
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
What's wrong with selling here at Gearslutz? I have been out of the seller's market for a long time (thank God) so I don't know anything about Reverb.com. If you had to chose only one place to sell, why would one choose Reverb.com (with fees) over Gearslutz?
I agree. I've sold a fair amount of gear over the years, and I've only ever used GS classifieds or Craigslist. There's also a local Facebook group here in Portland for folks selling gear. If you're not in a crazy hurry, there's lots of good free ways to sell.

Buying-wise, I've been all over the map. It's all about where I can find a used/demo version of whatever I am looking for.
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Maniac

I just sold a ton of stuff on Reverb over the last few weeks. Over 5k worth and the fees are $180. Ebay would have been over $500. Not to mention paypal's cut.

A week ago ebay sent me a survey and I decided to engage. I wrote an explanation of how I had recently sold so much stuff at a different site for only 3.5% fees. The next day they sent me a coupon to sell 5 items at 3.5%.

So I relisted the stragglers from Reverb onto ebay and they all sold within 5 days after being on Reverb for 2 weeks.

Give and take I suppose. I wont use Craigslist unless its something that cant be shipped. Too many folks want to trade 10-$30 pedals for your $300 item haha.
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Maniac

I just sold a ton of stuff on Reverb over the last few weeks. Over 5k worth and the fees are $180. Ebay would have been over $500. Not to mention paypal's cut.

A week ago ebay sent me a survey and I decided to engage. I wrote an explanation of how I had recently sold so much stuff at a different site for only 3.5% fees. The next day they sent me a coupon to sell 5 items at 3.5%.

So I relisted the stragglers from Reverb onto ebay and they all sold within 5 days after being on Reverb for 2 weeks.

Give and take I suppose. I wont use Craigslist unless its something that cant be shipped. Too many folks want to trade 10-$30 pedals for your $300 item haha.
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone tried using...... Sweetwater Trading Post for buying or selling?
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Nut

I've never bought or sold on Reverb. Ebay has really sucked lately. I recently had 3 out of 4 auctions end in deadbeat payers who didn't pay or communicate. Their history showed no signs of that. My last "batch" of sales had one non-payer who also had good history. After I submitted for a final value fee credit, the buyer emailed me and gave me attitude. This is not electronic stuff. It's all clearly photographed and described and in good condition.
Craigslist has been great as a buyer, pretty good as a seller for motorcycles mainly. I've actually made money from Craigslist over the years.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John37 View Post
I've never bought or sold on Reverb. Ebay has really sucked lately. I recently had 3 out of 4 auctions end in deadbeat payers who didn't pay or communicate. Their history showed no signs of that. My last "batch" of sales had one non-payer who also had good history. After I submitted for a final value fee credit, the buyer emailed me and gave me attitude. This is not electronic stuff. It's all clearly photographed and described and in good condition.
Craigslist has been great as a buyer, pretty good as a seller for motorcycles mainly. I've actually made money from Craigslist over the years.
If I sell on Ebay, it's only as a fixed price "buy it now" with immediate payment required. Weeds out the deadbeats...
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Bad experiences selling equipment on eBay. Particularly FireWire interfaces and monitors.(How many times do you need to be told you need a TI card?) Refunded at a loss. It worked fine after I got it back. Monitors-I entombed these in thick boxes, protecting the cones, then packing, then in the shipping box. "One is blown"..OK send them back and I`ll refund your $ plus shipping.."No I want you to pay me money to fix them"..are you out of your mind send them back, I`ll take the loss. 'No you pay me money or I`ll leave you a bad review". Go ahead. I`ve bought some "less than advertised" stuff off eBay, but that`s the chance you take.

Reverb-no experience, but I`d give it a try.

Craigslist- Have had good luck. No bad experiences, lots of transactions. Some killer deals. I`ve just learned if you`re going to sell a FireWire interface, the card goes with it. Here`s kinda the cool thing about Craigslist, I took it to the guys house, installed the card, and got it running, I SAW IT FOR MYSELF. I don`t really like having strangers in my house, mostly because I have a lot of high end equipment, but I have. Probably not anymore. I like the Reverb idea.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search