The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Ultimate Reverb VS ebay VS Craigslist Thread Studio Monitors
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
Bad experiences selling equipment on eBay. Particularly FireWire interfaces and monitors.(How many times do you need to be told you need a TI card?) Refunded at a loss. It worked fine after I got it back. Monitors-I entombed these in thick boxes, protecting the cones, then packing, then in the shipping box. "One is blown"..OK send them back and I`ll refund your $ plus shipping.."No I want you to pay me money to fix them"..are you out of your mind send them back, I`ll take the loss. 'No you pay me money or I`ll leave you a bad review". Go ahead. I`ve bought some "less than advertised" stuff off eBay, but that`s the chance you take.

Reverb-no experience, but I`d give it a try.

Craigslist- Have had good luck. No bad experiences, lots of transactions. Some killer deals. I`ve just learned if you`re going to sell a FireWire interface, the card goes with it. Here`s kinda the cool thing about Craigslist, I took it to the guys house, installed the card, and got it running, I SAW IT FOR MYSELF. I don`t really like having strangers in my house, mostly because I have a lot of high end equipment, but I have. Probably not anymore. I like the Reverb idea.
I've had really good CL experiences as well and met some good people. The problem is just weeding through all the flakes via email. It's like a flake magnet sometimes with CL between the lowballers and the no-shows. However, once you weed out the serious buyers and sellers, it's great (as long as you don't get murdered).
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

I've had very spotty luck selling anything here. Very common popular items will move, if it's at all esoteric it probably won't and is easier sold elsewhere.
Old 1st April 2017
Lesson learned - it's ok to buy new if you think or hope to keep an item for a long time, otherwise shop smart in the used market if you want to get anything close to a good deal on resale. With rare exceptions you lose 25% of the new price as soon as it "leaves the showroom floor" if you need to sell. That's our experience.
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Guru

I'll buy anywhere. I've had less luck selling overall. eBay fees are just too high, so I won't do that again. And although I've bought a few things in CL, I've never had a response to an ad of any kind that wasn't from a scammer. I'd rather just let something sit on Reverb until a buyer comes along. I've bought and sold a couple of things on GS, and it worked out just fine. The problem is that if an item doesn't go quickly, it'll drop down very fast.

Last edited by kafka; 2nd April 2017 at 12:57 PM..
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I'll buy anywhere. I've had less luck selling overall. eBay fees are just too high, so I won't do that again. And although I've bought a few things in CS, I've never had a response to an ad of any kind that wasn't from a scammer. I'd rather just let something sit on Reverb until a buyer comes along. I've bought and sold a couple of things on GS, and it worked out just fine. The problem is that if an item doesn't go quickly, it'll drop down very fast.
Wow, you`re on old O.J.er, right? I remember the name from years ago.
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Wow, you`re on old O.J.er, right? I remember the name from years ago.
Well, I'm old. The rest, I don't know.
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Well, I'm old. The rest, I don't know.
Ahh. I thought you were someone else. Same name, that`s all.
Old 3rd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ahh. I thought you were someone else. Same name, that`s all.
No problem. We existentialists all look the same.
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

I've moved over $50,000 in gear on ebay over the last 15 years, I like the "buyer" protection and have not been screwed by it. I've bought some of my all time favorite guitars off eBay, never had a problem and got some amazing deals.

Recently I had a pair of Mackie PA subwoofers that have been gathering dust, they are big and heavy. I put them on CL, my first ever CL sales ad, the speakers sold for $700 cash two weeks later. Only had one response but he drove an hour to my location, tried them with a vocal mic and handed us the cash. So glad to have the space they occupied (and the dough which was quickly repurposed in to a new API 2500 bus comp).

While selling my subwoofers on CL I did my standard look for a Leslie 147 and finally after two years, found an immaculate early 70's model in Orlando (an hour drive away). Drove there the next day, tested it and bought it for $1400 cash.

CL is hit or miss but great when it's a hit. If someone sounds fishy on the phone I break off from the deal, if it sounds too good, it probably is!

Our family farm sells a lot of plants on eBay, it's been very good for us.

Good music and happy buying and selling to all!
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear
I'm sick of ebay and paypal. I have 100 percent + feedback as a seller. Even AFTER getting positive feedback from buyers my money was on hold in my paypal account. Sellers are not allowed to leave negative feedback for buyers even in the event of no payment or the scams described in the article below. Ebay offers sellers NO protection.
This article just about covers it :

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...oited-scammers

Im going to try reverb.

Last edited by Gusss; 30th April 2017 at 11:12 AM..
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

Been having great experiences with Reverb over the last few weeks as buyer and seller. So much better than eBay.
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Been having great experiences with Reverb over the last few weeks as buyer and seller. So much better than eBay.
I've recently started using Reverb over the past few weeks. Haven't sold yet but I've bought a bunch of stuff from guitar pedals to a multi thousand dollar microphone and I haven't had a hiccup yet. My initial experience has been very positive and I like buying from sellers who sell music stuff in general versus on ebay not knowing if the person selling the item even knows about it.
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

Any new thoughts on Reverb? I haven't used it and have heard of some horror stories online, but then again any big operation is going to, for whatever reason, make some folks angry who then take to the web.
Old 17th October 2017
Gear Addict
I like reverb as it is a bit cheaper to sell things there, the only downside I see is that it's only musical stuff and the audience is not as large as eBay yet, but its promising!
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

This is a pretty weak 'ultimate thread' lol
Craigslist= free pianos and pool tables.
Old 26th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDelmarva View Post
Any new thoughts on Reverb? I haven't used it and have heard of some horror stories online, but then again any big operation is going to, for whatever reason, make some folks angry who then take to the web.
I use Reverb all the time and can be a bit slower on items that aren't as well known. I'm not a big fan of the "offer" system in general. You overprice your item in hopes of getting the actual amount you want, it can get tedious but overall I've never had an issue buying or selling.

Use Ebay when I need $ fast because the money goes right into your Paypal account. If you have a popular mic like a TLM103, they sell fast along with popular items in the $200-500 range. Overall, unless you bought mint at a really low price, you're gonna lose dough with all the fees. The auctions for top items are really 1 minute long, bidding before then on an item you want is a serious waste of time. Folks drop in at 5 sec to end and grab the good stuff.
Old 6th November 2017
Update: Reverb just takes too long to get paid. You can possibly get more $ because of lower fees but if you need your money fast for another purchasse (which is often the case) Ebay and their outrageous fees is immediate. Sold an item on Friday, sent on Friday and it's Monday and no dough, even as a long term customer (seller/buyer).
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Halo World, I'm going to put an ad out on Reverb to sell my System 8 full of plugouts.

I'm doing my homework now on Reverb.. I just feel Ebay fees are high..
Old 28th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Update: Reverb just takes too long to get paid. You can possibly get more $ because of lower fees but if you need your money fast for another purchasse (which is often the case) Ebay and their outrageous fees is immediate. Sold an item on Friday, sent on Friday and it's Monday and no dough, even as a long term customer (seller/buyer).
I know this is a few-months-old post but, you sold and shipped the item on Friday before you even received funds? Does Reverb hold or delay funds? I wouldn't ship an item unless I actually SEE the money IN MY ACCOUNT.

I have an item I want to sell and looking into selling on Reverb as it seems like a better option nowadays because Ebay fees have gotten outrageously high. However, I hope the immediate payment option for fixed price listing is also available for Reverb like it is on Ebay. Not seeing your money by Monday after selling and shipping your item that previous Friday sounds awfully risky/fishy to me. In the future, I'd state in my listing that "item doesn't ship until full payment is received" in my listing if I were you.

However, as a long-time Ebay user with both buyer and seller experience, I'm new to Reverb and still doing my homework on them and their policies. My biggest concern about Reverb is safety. I simply don't like the idea of shipping an item before receiving payment. For me, that's a no-no. Also, I wonder if there's protection against chargebacks?

Would it be safer to use Paypal with Reverb for receiving payment instead of Reverb's embedded checkout process? How safe and secure is Reverb's checkout? Do they have security (fraud protection)? I know none of this stuff is perfect or foolproof and there's always a risk factor in selling online, or selling period for that matter. However, some margin of safety against lunatics is better than none at all. That's why these are the questions that I need to find answers to before I decide to list my item.

Last edited by kvmoore; 28th July 2018 at 11:17 PM..
Old 29th July 2018
Reverb does keep your $ until you enter a shipment code (at least for me), then it's a couple days. The last time it was the very next day after entering a shipping code. I have no reason to believe that Reverb is anything but a secure website. In the long run, Reverb is cheaper and Ebay is way over priced unless you need your $ now. In my experience, items sell faster on Ebay but it could just be "item related".
Old 29th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Reverb does keep your $ until you enter a shipment code (at least for me), then it's a couple days. The last time it was the very next day after entering a shipping code. I have no reason to believe that Reverb is anything but a secure website. In the long run, Reverb is cheaper and Ebay is way over priced unless you need your $ now. In my experience, items sell faster on Ebay but it could just be "item related".
Thanks. That's good to know I just signed up with Reverb. However, I'm going to educate myself a little more on how they work before I sell anything. I still don't like the idea of them holding funds even after you ship the item. I agree though, Reverb fees are A LOT better/less than Ebay. IMO Ebay has gotten greedy, although you do get a wider audience and your item would probably sell faster. In the long run, you take a bigger hit on profit.

Last edited by kvmoore; 30th July 2018 at 02:35 AM..
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

Oh yeah by shipment code, are you referring to a tracking number? Or is the shipment code something different?

UPDATE:
----------------------------------------

Nevermind. I found my answer straight from the horse's mouth right here:

Quote:
Reverb Payments*funds are held until tracking information is entered into the system by the seller. If you haven't uploaded that yet, you can do so on your*orders page*in the "Selling" section of your account. This information triggers your payout so we can ensure that Reverb transactions are verified as legitimate.

After tracking information is entered, we can process and send the payment to your account as Reverb Bucks or via direct deposit. For direct deposit payments,*funds will be sent to your bank account on file*here.

The first few sales you make with Reverb Payments take the longest to process, as we perform additional verification with new sellers to ensure a good experience for all Reverb users. Reverb typically holds those funds until 24-48 hours following the delivery of your item.

The more items you sell via Reverb Payments, the quicker your payouts will come. Once you're a*Reverb Preferred Seller, your payout is automatically triggered by you entering your tracking number into the system.
I guess Reverb does this to protect against both fraudulent buyers and sellers.

It seems like the buyer still has to submit payment first, then Reverb gets it and holds it until the seller ships the item. I suppose as long as the money is already out of the buyer's control before the seller ships the item, the buyer can't try to pull some sleepy trick on the seller (like a credit card chargeback) once the item has shipped. I guess this is good for both the buyer and seller. As a buyer, I would have a tracking number before the seller gets my money.

I'm now beginning to think Reverb is probably safer than Ebay in that respect.

Last edited by kvmoore; 30th July 2018 at 04:20 PM..
Old 1st August 2018
Yep. It's jus the tracking number you enter and it starts the ball rolling to get paid. For me, Ebay is where I sell when I need $ fast otherwise here or Reverb, haven't tried Craiglist. Reverb concentrates on Music gear, it's big advantage. Great sight to just wander around on to see what's selling.
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Any threads on GS discussing the good, bad, and/or ugly of 'Reverb'?

Yeah, I did try a GS search for 'reverb'................
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

I am planning on selling some pedals online - no luck with craigslist. After getting scammed in the past, I want to know what to do when you are boxing up your equipment to send it. Do you take a photo? A video? What if a swindler receives your pedal but says "he sent me a box of rocks." You show them your photo and he says "he must have unpacked it afterwards and then packed the rocks." Now what? My only hope is that 99% of people do have some integrity and would be caught too often if they don't.
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Bump. Anyone?
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDelmarva View Post
I am planning on selling some pedals online - no luck with craigslist. After getting scammed in the past, I want to know what to do when you are boxing up your equipment to send it. Do you take a photo? A video? What if a swindler receives your pedal but says "he sent me a box of rocks." You show them your photo and he says "he must have unpacked it afterwards and then packed the rocks." Now what? My only hope is that 99% of people do have some integrity and would be caught too often if they don't.
A safe, (yet annoying) bet.. is to video record yourself packing.. labeling.. and shipping the item/s. One continuous video, never taking sight off the goods. As ridiculous as that may sound.. you'd have real evidence that what you shipped is what they received.

Shame that we have to think of sh*t like this because of people's scummy behavior though..
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
A safe, (yet annoying) bet.. is to video record yourself packing.. labeling.. and shipping the item/s. One continuous video, never taking sight off the goods. As ridiculous as that may sound.. you'd have real evidence that what you shipped is what they received.

Shame that we have to think of sh*t like this because of people's scummy behavior though..
Yes that's crazy to contemplate. I guess not having to do that is worth the risk. I hope that 99% of the time nobody is outright lying and thieving.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Regarding the question that @kvmoore and @RKeefe1032 were discussing above about whether Reverb holds funds, I want to clarify that for anyone browsing this Thread.

The answer to whether Reverb holds funds is both "yes" and "no", depending on whether you've set your payment options to Reverb Payments, PayPal, or both (aka, buyer's choice).

Scenario 1 - Reverb Payments:
--- You're selling a $100 guitar pedal.
--- You have your Reverb selling account set up to receive payments via Reverb's payment system (which is excellent, btw).
--- Buyer sees pedal, wants it, and does Checkout via Reverb's system.
--- Reverb receives the Buyer's funds and holds them temporarily until a shipment tracking number is entered by you, the Seller.
--- Once tracking is entered/confirmed, Reverb initiates transfer of the held funds to your bank account, which could take a few business days.

Scenario 2 - PayPal:
--- You're selling a $100 guitar pedal.
--- You have your Reverb selling account set up to receive payments via PayPal.
--- Buyer sees pedal, wants it, and pays you via PayPal (which is done through Reverb Checkout also).
--- Assuming your PayPal account is in good standing, the funds go immediately to your PayPal account and the financial portion of the transaction is complete, but you have a standard PayPal fee, of course.
--- Pack up, enter tracking, and ship.

Some sellers only take Reverb Payments, some only take PayPal, and some accept both and let the Buyer choose which they want to use.

tl;dr -
If you receive payment via Reverb Payment, the funds will be temporarily held and take a few days to deposit to your bank account, but there's no fee.

If you receive a payment via PayPal, there's no waiting period and you get your funds right away, but there's the standard PayPal fee.

Hope this helps clear that up a little bit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I love reverb but I'm in a pickle because I want to sell a brand new macbook pro for audio production but I can't sell a laptop on reverb or here on the gearslutz market... Do you guys have any recommendations? I don't live in a populated enough area for craigslist. I would do ebay but I can't stomach the chunk they take out for commission.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search