The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
American Idol, anyone?
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Guru

American Idol, anyone?

Old 18th January 2007

Why do people watch this show??? Maybe I'm jaded and can't take any more "reality" shows.

When a 250 lb. 5'2" woman with the most beautiful voice in the world wins, then I'll believe it's only about talent. But we all know better, right?
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Head

isn't it funny how the winners never actually turn into anyone's idols? i think they should be required to write their own music.
i don't care for televised karaoke.
Old 18th January 2007
no thanks
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

you know... the brazilian version was presented by a friend of mine... and even then i thought it pretty much sucked... what can i say?
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
And what's with Jewel?

She's freakin hot. I'm pretty sure that's what's with her. Me likey the Jewel.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasource View Post
isn't it funny how the winners never actually turn into anyone's idols? i think they should be required to write their own music.
i don't care for televised karaoke.
It's really interesting actually. No one seems to be able to stick around for more than two albums, the second of which always flops badly. Maybe when you put everything thru ten different grinders, the stuff comes out the other end completely mashed and uninteresting?? I think so. It's not offending to anyone...but not really interesting either.

To me, it's just too obvious that they're pushing a product. I still don't understand why people buy the records. It's like...if I ran a TV infomercial explaining exactly how I fool my customers and how the crappy product is manufactured, and then people STILL bought it. Weird. You don't know if it sells because people like it or because they get suckered into the whole craze surrounding the show.

Topic's been done to death though.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
Why do people watch this show??? Maybe I'm jaded and can't take any more "reality" shows.

When a 250 lb. 5'2" woman with the most beautiful voice in the world wins, then I'll believe it's only about talent. But we all know better, right?

well guess what!!!!!!!!!! it happened in australian idol NOT once but twice now. first it was Casey Donovan and she was a larger girl and yes was one of the more talented people on the show and then this year the guy that one was told on many occasions that yes he was by far one of the best singers but was so ugly he wouldn't be able to win...............well he one.

i still don't now whether it is really all about talent. i think the judges would have to have more credability than they do in australia anyways.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Ugh, I can't stand that show. The competiveness factor in music is just all wrong. Though I'm not a big fan, however, I think Kelly Clarkson is still going strong because she distanced herself from that creepy show and started writing her own material. I hear she's got Mike Watt playing bass on her upcoming albulm.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

wow...it shows you exactly what fox wants you to see

dumb ****..

dumb up the american people..watch a show like that..

its comical..just like listening to loud can **** up your ears...watching to much tv can obviously **** up your brain!!!

dumb people dumb people
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear
I enjoy American Idol as a karaoke show. It's fun for what it is. It's got that sick at your stomach thing going on when you see these wannabes saying, "I'm going to sing Christina..."
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

1. Jewel is hot
2. Television is a commerce...so don't take it so personal.If you don't like it, don't buy it.
3. Jewel is hot
4. If you are stupid enough to intentionally make an ass of yourself of national television, I'm gonna watch and laugh at you.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post

Well, for one, one of last years contestants just won a Golden Globe as the large girl in "Dreamgirls".
But really, the show is like watching an accident. You jsut got to watch the horror.
In the Pre-selection they pick the best and the worst, and that's what you get to see.
Once the main auditons are over, I stop watching.
It's the auditon freakshow that's fun.

I know, it's sick. Oh well.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Oh yeah. I forgot. The best moment of the show came from the derp at the end.

Derp: Juggling is just to entertainment people...singing is my life. I wanted to be famous

Camera pans to the ultra creepy Munsters-reject contestant

Ryan: So maybe you can work on it and keep getting better, then you can become famous.

Derp: I wanted to START famous!!! Waaaaaaaaaa!!

END SCENE

Out of 10,000+ applicants, they took 18 people. That must have been fun to judge...yikes!
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doesn't anybody, a parent, a sibling, a friend, SOMEBODY, ever tell these people they can't sing?

eeek!
Yeah. I've asked myslef that question many a time.
"Don't these people have any friends?"
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Who said this was about singing "talent"? LOL
Do you think Madonna can sing?
No, but she still has a talent.

Come on, it's still entertaining hell.
And more so than just about anything else on TV... oops, gotta run, it's coming on!
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

kelly clarkson is the only good thing to come out of that show. -- carrie underwood ain't so bad either.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
1. Jewel is hot
2. Television is a commerce...so don't take it so personal.If you don't like it, don't buy it.
3. Jewel is hot
4. If you are stupid enough to intentionally make an ass of yourself of national television, I'm gonna watch and laugh at you
I agree whole heartedly. I laughed till I pissed myself. Man, I will never visit Seatle. Sorry, Seatle people, but I am frightened. tutt
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

My buddy Blake Lewis made it last night here in Seattle.

He does do his own music, but for the competition they don't let you do songs you write....they want to hear you sing something they are already familiar with.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Congrats to him, hope he does well. Birmingham is still yet to come, so we may out do you guys yet.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I once talked with Kelly Clarkson for about ten minutes at a Coldplay show here in Tejas. Oddly, her seats were slightly worse than my crew. Anyway, she was sitting right behind some friends of mine and when I went over to say hi to them, she stepped into the aisle and asked me if I had seen Oasis play there the night before and something about remembering seeing me there (if memory serves). We chatted about what makes a great show for a bit, she introduced her guy and the rest of her peeps. a bit more chatting, then the show started.

Without a doubt. The singular coolest famous person I have ever met. She's a sweetheart and I am glad for her success... even if it did start with something as god-awful as that show... which was awesome last night. cheers,
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Well, for one, one of last years contestants just won a Golden Globe as the large girl in "Dreamgirls".
But really, the show is like watching an accident. You jsut got to watch the horror.
In the Pre-selection they pick the best and the worst, and that's what you get to see.
Once the main auditons are over, I stop watching.
It's the auditon freakshow that's fun.

I know, it's sick. Oh well.
Yep...She is a nice looking plus size female. Plus, she can really sing!...
Old 20th January 2007
I'm an idiot, are we talking about Mandiza?

She should have won last time as cool as Taylor was...but we already have a Michael McDonald.

I think the whole not offending anyone thing is about right there.

At least Kelly Clarkson doesn't have to sing "Built Ford Tuff"
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalpole View Post
kelly clarkson is the only good thing to come out of that show. -- carrie underwood ain't so bad either.
Wait until you hear Katharine McPhee!
She is gonna be a superstar!
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgyptionRing View Post
Ugh, I can't stand that show. The competiveness factor in music is just all wrong. Though I'm not a big fan, however, I think Kelly Clarkson is still going strong because she distanced herself from that creepy show and started writing her own material. I hear she's got Mike Watt playing bass on her upcoming albulm.
From Firehose?!?!?!
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I am watching it right now... it is just amazing.
I've seen the UK version but there is something wonderful about Americans- they are much more watchable than the Brit's.

The girl, Sarah, who ADMITTED to not being a singer and sang really badly- then went PSYCHOTIC at the judges and then to the camera.
It is such a guilty pleasure- lots of cringe factor.
I've had a couple of hard weeks and it feels quite good to chill out to this...
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup, this is actually quite fun. Yeah, Sarah, somebody needs to have her committed. Seriously!!
Can you say bipolar?

The Justin Timberlake look-a-like was pretty good actually.
The Hispanic girl with the hot body is my favourite so far though... because I am, like, shallow and stuff.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

More brilliant auditions tonight...
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Man it was a shoe-in. Bottom line.

The heavy sista at the end and even moreso, Miss Dolittle, the background singer.

They are in a league of their own. The rest can leave today. They don't stand a chance.

And as far as the men was concerned, damn near all of them sucked.

As a matter of fact, the first sista, the last sista, Miss Dolittle, and the mixed chick with the long curly hair are the only ones that even deserve to be in the competition right now. Everyone else is out of their league.
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I pretty much agree. heh

Except I would also add the white girl who sang 'All By Myself'. That was pretty damn good once she got going.

I think the first singer was the best, the short haired sista.
The "All By Myself" chick didn't hit the note that she needed to for it to work for me. Simon thought the same also. She was just alright for me.

I didn't see the entire performance of the first chick...but if I were to put my money on someone right now, it would be Miss Dolittle, the background singer chick.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search