The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
American Idol, anyone?
Old 17th May 2007
  #421
Lives for gear
 
Tony Shepperd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
And actually, it's down to 25%. Jordin is mixed. Another thing habit of white folks...ignore any percentage of white in a person that has any amount of black in them...
Unbelievable...
Old 17th May 2007
  #422
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Unbelievable...
Hey buddy, I'm only keeping the score that Soultrane attempted to constantly promote, even though it supported what I said all along.

So you're right...it's unbelievable what folks will do to ignore facts.
Old 17th May 2007
  #423
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post

And actually, it's down to 25%. Jordin is mixed. Another thing habit of white folks...ignore any percentage of white in a person that has any amount of black in them....
so THAT is your real beef against jordin, that she's got some white?

wow, i wonder if you'd let your son or daughter go out with someone who had mixed ancestry.

ps, if jordin wins, which i think she will, it will mean that 3 out of the 6 american idols have been black, i.e., 50 percent, as opposed to 10 percent of the population at large...

of course, that is racist because it should be 100%, and besides, jordin is mixed...

what a world you live in big 3rd...
Old 17th May 2007
  #424
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
My daughter's (4th grade) class had a vote yesterday and Blake had most of the votes.

So I guess Blake is going to win!
racist 4th graders.
Old 17th May 2007
  #425
Lives for gear
 
Tony Shepperd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
racist 4th graders.
LOL!!!
Old 18th May 2007
  #426
Registered User
 

My OP is that SonMJacksonIa sent the whole competition to the teeny bops and on to the graveyard. (big fart sound here)
Old 18th May 2007
  #427
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
its true for men too, though...

at least, look who they've had on idol this season... buble, thicke, maroon 5....

video killed the radio star.
Old 18th May 2007
  #428
Lives for gear
 
SeanG's Avatar
 

I didn't get to see this weeks show, my girl deleted it by accident before I had a chance to see it.

When she told me Melinda got gonged I wasn't surprised.

She will still reap many rewards from all of this free exposure, and I’m sure she will do fine.

I couldn't imagine Blake winning, but then again... there are a lot of 4th graders.
Old 18th May 2007
  #429
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
I agree that she isn't a pop star...she's too good for her to be a pop star.

And actually, it's down to 25%. Jordin is mixed. Another thing habit of white folks...ignore any percentage of white in a person that has any amount of black in them....i.e. Obama.
Why does it always come down to race for you?
I want Jordin to win- not because of her colour- I had no idea where her folks came from and nor do I care.

You seem to see prejudice everywhere... man, that must suck for you.

Can you believe that a person doesn't care about race?
Old 19th May 2007
  #430
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Why does it always come down to race for you?
I want Jordin to win- not because of her colour- I had no idea where her folks came from and nor do I care.

You seem to see prejudice everywhere... man, that must suck for you.

Can you believe that a person doesn't care about race?
Well first of all, Soultrane was constantly making the case that there were a majority of blacks that made it in the top rankings. Majority....meaning in comparison of the actual percentage of blacks in the country(12%)...basically saying that the blacks represented a much higher percentage than their actual percentage in the country. I OTOH was making the case that even though the majority of the top contestants should be black...somehow the votes eventually shift the weight back on the white contestants, so basically they get more of the benefit of the doubt than the black contestants....despite the actual talent dominance that the black contestants have...thus race does play a factor in the voting process with Americans. And since, white america makes up the majority of the population...the conclusions made must represent who THEY are supporting and not supporting.

I brought the 25% up because it once again proved how subconscious racism resides in those that have no clue and know no better. There are two contestants....one white and one mixed. But Soultrane, like so many other white americans, automatically considered her black, calling it 50/50, completely ignoring and disowning the caucasion in her makeup...as if black were the side that tainted her. Why could she not be considered white? But the same goes for Barack Obama, Colin Powell, Tiger Woods, Mariah Carey, the list goes on and on...

You and many others may think this is looking into it a bit too far but if we're going to call it....let's call it as it is.
Old 19th May 2007
  #431
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
I brought the 25% up because it once again proved how subconscious racism resides in those that have no clue and know no better. There are two contestants....one white and one mixed. But Soultrane, like so many other white americans, automatically considered her black, calling it 50/50, completely ignoring and disowning the caucasion in her makeup...as if black were the side that tainted her. Why could she not be considered white? But the same goes for Barack Obama, Colin Powell, Tiger Woods, Mariah Carey, the list goes on and on...

You and many others may think this is looking into it a bit too far but if we're going to call it....let's call it as it is.
You really are one frustrating mother****er!
Subconscious racism? Gehhhrhhhhhgghsgh....

I didn't think of her one way or the other.
I don't know what sort of white people you are meeting to say this but she is obviously not 100% of either.
Does it matter? **** no.

It is all so irrelevant.

People meet me all the time and think I'm English.

I'm not- I'm Australian with a Scottish father.
Calling me English is basically the same as what you are talking about.

Do I give a ****?
No, of course not.

When I lived in England people would joke all the time that I "was from the colonies".
I'd just ask them "How did you like losing a ****ing empire?" and everyone laughed.

You know that if you spend the next 50 years of your life feeling like people are oppressing you, you are going to have a miserable ****ing time.
Why are you so negative all the time when it comes to race?

If you are going to assume that every white person you meet is a racist can you really blame them for assuming that you are going to nick their stereo?

What I mean here is until you move on from the place you're in, you won't find peace.

Speaking of...

peace out...

Jim
Old 19th May 2007
  #432
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

What the f*ck aren't both of you getting?

Soultrane kept reopening the race thing into this subject.

And furthermore, Octatonic, I don't know if you currently live here in the states now or not....but it is obvious from your reply that you don't understand American culture and history, which I don't hold against you one bit. My best friend is Nigerian and he doesn't see the big deal in white people calling blacks "******s." I don't hold that against him either because he doesn't understand the history and the culture entirely.

Anyway,

What you are failing to realize is that in THIS country, whites have always IMMEDIATELY labeled someone that is mixed with black AND white...BLACK...automatically BLACK...never white...never even MIXED or biracial...NOPE "he/she is black"...as if to say that once you have mixed any black with the white race, you have essentially tainted the blood and therefore you must disregard any white that may be present within the person....as if it was a cancer or plague that took over. It is just another form of claiming supremacy.

Secondly, you being not originally from here AND being white...I really really don't expect you to understand...especially considering that whites that have lived here their whole lives still dismiss things like this.

It's easy for someone such as yourself and SG and the rest to dismiss the whole thing with the typical "you are letting race destroy you" statement. As I have said many times before, I will let it go when they can let it go. And as I see it today, I am continuously reminded that I am not equal. Some things are little and others are point blank stunning reminders....things that can effect my progress and the pace at which I can move on to bigger and better thing for me and my family. As a person, I still do the things that I need to do to make it in this world. But I will never ignore those things that aren't right, those negative strikes against me that are based solely on my race. The fact is: In this country, the race issue stares at each and every one of us everyday pretty much allday if we took the time to see the inconsistences in our culture, our media, our government, our day to day language, our entertainment, our perceptions, our opinions, everthing. But as I said before, it is easy to ignore it when you aren't on the receiving end of the deal...especially when we are constantly surrounded in it. Not being on the receiving end and repetition breeds nothing but numbness and insensitivity. Period.

Now does this particular topic directly effect me? No, absolutely not. But it is a very small cog that assists in keeping the ball rolling....keeping the mindsets of millions ignorant.

It's amazing to me how obviously wrong some of this stuff is and how much effort people will put into NOT correcting it BUT defending it. And all it takes is to think outside the box and think if it were them in the situation.

But for some reason it's better to ignore and dismiss it while placing the burden back on the person that is actually taking the brunt of the bull**** instead of placing it in the laps of those that perpetuate it.

Some funny people.
Old 19th May 2007
  #433
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Yup, I live in the US- actually I've been studying American history for the last 2 years via a correspondence course.

Maybe I didn't make myself explicit enough because you didn't read it the same as I wrote it.

My best friend is Nigerian and gay- people don't call him '******' or 'faggot' or anything as far as I have seen. He's a cool guy and just gets on with life in NYC- he can't go back to Nigeria as he will be kiiled for being gay. Sucks doesn't it?

Supremacy?
Man, I don't know about that- I am sure there are a lot of ignorant people out there- black and white and mixed, asian, aboriginal. Stupid people are everywhere.

I am certain that *some* white people believe and act as you suggest just the same way that soime black people automatically assume white people are racists (which is itself, kinda racist). But this is just *some* people.
I am certain *some* chinese people think that all tibetans are ****ing ****s and deserve to be killed.
I know for a fact that Turks think Greeks are mother****s and deserve to be killed.

Plenty of Arabs hate Jews and vice versa.

.... and this is the problem.

Because in each race or religion has members who think it is special.
We are human beings- capable of independent thought- INDEPENDENT MOTHER****ING THOUGHT- and we should be able to realise that the accident of birth (where you were born) means nothing.
Skin colour, Religion, Beliefs all mean nothing underneath because we all go back to the same basic creature- some primordial slime that one day grew a backbone and crawled out of the ocean (sorry, creationists).
Everything else is meaningless.

If you choose to make this issue your life's work then good luck to you- but the people I know don'y give two ****s about race.
They simply care if you are a cool person or a good person or funny or brilliant or intelligent- if you are judged at all then you are judged on your personal merits.

When I occassionally meet someone who judges me based on my colour or education (or background as the British call it) then I quickly remove myself from their company (or mercilessly lampoon them, which is even better).

You're spending so much time and energy in your lifetime getting worked up about something that you say doesn't affect you personally that much.
What the **** is that?
Instead of making these blanket statements about *white people*, why not just accept the fact that *some white people* are racist mother ****ers but the rest of us are kinda cool.
Or... do you not believe this to be the case?

I'd say that if all the white people you are around ARE RACISTS then it's either time to get the **** out of Dodge or pick up a billy club and start doing the genetic pool a favour.

Really though, and my main point, is we either get to a point of acceptance of how things are and start to try to do positive things for the good of everyone (black or white) by being a decent and non-judgemental person or.... you don't.
This really is one of those "you are part of the solution or part of the problem" situations, I am afraid.
Old 19th May 2007
  #434
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post


What you are failing to realize is that in THIS country, whites have always IMMEDIATELY labeled someone that is mixed with black AND white...BLACK...automatically BLACK...never white...never even MIXED or biracial...NOPE "he/she is black"....
right... which is exactly why when you pointed out that jordin was not 100% pure black... you adopted the same klansmen mentality...

jordin's a cute little fox and she's probably going to win it all next week...

unless blake wins.
Old 19th May 2007
  #435
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Wow, as a black person, you sure do a lot of speaking for white people.

I think your above statement is pure bunk! And for the record, I thought of Jordin as white, perhaps mixed.

You have such a huge bug up your a**. You have come up with a conclusion, and you seem to be spending your life trying to prove it to yourself. And you seem to be succeeding.
Spending my life trying to prove it to myself?

You and Soultrane are both full of ****. Are you telling me that black/white mixed Americans are not predominantly labeled as BLACK? Are you telling me this is false?

Look, I don't have to prove it to myself....I'm automatically on the receiving end of the bull**** because of my racial affiliation. I really don't have to prove it to you either because you see and know what's going on yet you just ignore it...which IMO makes you no different than those that actually commit the acts.
I feel comfortable in saying that you ignore it because not once did you even acknowledge that what I'm saying about the black/white mix label is true. Instead you'll just procede with your typical "it's all in your head" bull****.
Even if you, as a person, did think Jordin was white (which is a f*cking lie)...it still doesn't dismiss the fact that biracial individuals are usually labeled black or African-American. And even better, why that is?

But as I said before, you will squirm to the beat of the truth every chance you get. You'll do anything to NOT be APART of the blame that contributes to the problem.
So your best defense is diversion.

"You have such a huge bug up your a**. You have come up with a conclusion, and you seem to be spending your life trying to prove ....blah blah blah."
Old 19th May 2007
  #436
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Labled? Labled by who, and for what purpose? .
Ok...now you are just acting stupid...so this is going to go nowhere. We can talk when you are ready to discuss and not divert or ignore the obvious. At this point, you are not worth my time.

"Barack Obama

U.S. Senator (D-Illinois)
Born: Aug. 4, 1961
Birthplace: Honolulu, Hawaii

Barack Obama was born in Hawaii in 1961 to an American mother and a Kenyan father. When he was two, his parents, who had met as students at the University of Hawaii, divorced. Obama's Harvard-educated father then returned to Kenya, where he worked in the economics ministry. Obama lived in Indonesia with his mother and stepfather for part of his childhood, returning to Hawaii to finish high school. He graduated from Columbia University, where he majored in political science and specialized in international relations. He then attended Harvard Law School, graduated magna cum laude, and served as the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review.......
"

"Tiger Woods Biography (1975– )

Golfer. Born Eldrick Woods on December 30, 1975 in Cypress, California. Woods studied at Stanford University and won amateur US golf titles before turning professional in 1996. He shot to fame after winning the US Masters at Augusta in 1997 - with a record score of 270 - at the age of 21. Woods was the first African-American to do so, as well as the youngest....."



Like I said, get at me when you are ready to stop being an ass. Oh yeah, and I put the "label" in bold for you...just in case you seem to not see it...AGAIN.
Old 19th May 2007
  #437
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
Ok...now you are just acting stupid...so this is going to go nowhere. We can talk when you are ready to discuss and not divert or ignore the obvious. At this point, you are not worth my time.

"Barack Obama

U.S. Senator (D-Illinois)
Born: Aug. 4, 1961
Birthplace: Honolulu, Hawaii

Barack Obama was born in Hawaii in 1961 to an American mother and a Kenyan father. When he was two, his parents, who had met as students at the University of Hawaii, divorced. Obama's Harvard-educated father then returned to Kenya, where he worked in the economics ministry. Obama lived in Indonesia with his mother and stepfather for part of his childhood, returning to Hawaii to finish high school. He graduated from Columbia University, where he majored in political science and specialized in international relations. He then attended Harvard Law School, graduated magna cum laude, and served as the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review.......
"

snip

Like I said, get at me when you are ready to stop being an ass. Oh yeah, and I put the "label" in bold for you...just in case you seem to not see it...AGAIN.
So by your reckoning people should be writing "part African-American, part chinese, part french and part german" or whatever whenever someone isn't 100% either way? Do we have to list percentages?

The fact is that 2 in 3 Americans are white. Minorities are now 1/3 so that is 100 million people.
Being a minority means you are different from the 'norm'.
That doesn't mean you are abnormal- just *NOT AS COMMON*- therefore people WILL define you by your difference from what IS the norm.
That doesn't make it racist. Racist would be speaking negatively about that difference.
Acknowledging the difference IS NOT racist- Speaking negatively or defining a person exclusively regarding the difference is.

This happens to me also as people know within 1/2 a second that I'm not American- of course they always say "Where in England are you from?" but that is another story.

(An aside - I'm sick of people in the US calling "Europe" a country. It's a continent dumbf*cks!)

Instead of saying I'm Australian to people do I have to say "Hi I'm Jim, I'm Australian born but half Scottish"?
f*ck that- I'm an Aussie.

I'm still struggling with the idea that some African Americans do not accept Obama because he isn't Afican-American enough- he is supposedly African-African-American and that just ain't good enough...

Let's have a great leveller- instead of "White" I want to be known as "Pigmentally Challenged". Cool?
Old 20th May 2007
  #438
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
So by your reckoning people should be writing "part African-American, part chinese, part french and part german" or whatever whenever someone isn't 100% either way? Do we have to list percentages?

The fact is that 2 in 3 Americans are white. Minorities are now 1/3 so that is 100 million people.
Being a minority means you are different from the 'norm'.
That doesn't mean you are abnormal- just *NOT AS COMMON*- therefore people WILL define you by your difference from what IS the norm.
That doesn't make it racist. Racist would be speaking negatively about that difference.
Acknowledging the difference IS NOT racist- Speaking negatively or defining a person exclusively regarding the difference is.

This happens to me also as people know within 1/2 a second that I'm not American- of course they always say "Where in England are you from?" but that is another story.

(An aside - I'm sick of people in the US calling "Europe" a country. It's a continent dumbf*cks!)

Instead of saying I'm Australian to people do I have to say "Hi I'm Jim, I'm Australian born but half Scottish"?
f*ck that- I'm an Aussie.

I'm still struggling with the idea that some African Americans do not accept Obama because he isn't Afican-American enough- he is supposedly African-African-American and that just ain't good enough...

Let's have a great leveller- instead of "White" I want to be known as "Pigmentally Challenged". Cool?
I would agree with your arguement about "the NORM"...if "the norm" wasn't exclusively the one party responsible for these labels....meaning: If all people had say on what they should be labeled, then your arguement would be dead on point. But the fact is that whites and ONLY whites have made themselves "the default." So when we are talking about Americans then we are talking about white people and white people only, right? Only until we note a minority's difference can we properly recognize him/her as an AMERICAN...such as African-American or Asian-American...is this what you are saying? Bull****. What makes whites more qualified to be considered the default? Their numbers? What kinda bull**** is that?

And moreso, how does this arguement translate into the biracial topic? I don't have an issue with calling someone what they are when actually noting what they are. But why has it become "THE NORM" to ignore the white in a black/white bi-racial individual? Why? Because the black cancels everything out? Bull****.

Once again, it is another way of claiming supremacy. But I don't expect you to understand. It is funny though...from your defense of the entire topic...you definitely seem pretty WHITE AMERICANIZED to me. You're blending in just great. Keep up the good work. You're almost as good as the white folks that's been born here. dfegad
Old 20th May 2007
  #439
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
I would agree with your arguement about "the NORM"...if "the norm" wasn't exclusively the one party responsible for these labels....meaning: If all people had say on what they should be labeled, then your arguement would be dead on point. But the fact is that whites and ONLY whites have made themselves "the default." So when we are talking about Americans then we are talking about white people and white people only, right? Only until we note a minority's difference can we properly recognize him/her as an AMERICAN...such as African-American or Asian-American...is this what you are saying? Bull****. What makes whites more qualified to be considered the default? Their numbers? What kinda bull**** is that?

And moreso, how does this arguement translate into the biracial topic? I don't have an issue with calling someone what they are when actually noting what they are. But why has it become "THE NORM" to ignore the white in a black/white bi-racial individual? Why? Because the black cancels everything out? Bull****.

Once again, it is another way of claiming supremacy. But I don't expect you to understand. It is funny though...from your defense of the entire topic...you definitely seem pretty WHITE AMERICANIZED to me. You're blending in just great. Keep up the good work. You're almost as good as the white folks that's been born here. dfegad
Why can you not see that greater numbers doesn't mean supremacy?
But yes, greater numbers DOES equal the majority.
(It is what the words mean).
If you want to call that the default then fine, its the default.
What I mean though is it is the MAJORITY- and like it or not the majority dictates what happens- that is democracy.
There are 200 million pigmentally challenged Americans and only 1/2 that of the rest of us (YES, US... I am a foreigner after all, my lack of pigment doesn't make me more American- it's a big f*cking world out there.)

Are you calling me a racist?
I'm f*cking stunned and pretty disappointed in you.

That's it- I'm done with you.
You aren't worth the effort.
Not because you are African-American but simply because you are a war-monger.
Old 20th May 2007
  #440
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Why can you not see that greater numbers doesn't mean supremacy?
But yes, greater numbers DOES equal the majority.
(It is what the words mean).
If you want to call that the default then fine, its the default.
What I mean though is it is the MAJORITY- and like it or not the majority dictates what happens- that is democracy.
There are 200 million pigmentally challenged Americans and only 1/2 that of the rest of us (YES, US... I am a foreigner after all, my lack of pigment doesn't make me more American- it's a big f*cking world out there.)

Are you calling me a racist?
I'm f*cking stunned and pretty disappointed in you.

That's it- I'm done with you.
You aren't worth the effort.
Not because you are African-American but simply because you are a war-monger.
Look, no one is disputing the definition of MAJORITY. I am asking though what reason would "THE MAJORITY" have to completely ignore and disassociate themselves from the white within a bi-racial individual that is part white and black? WHY ? If not for subliminally racist reasons, then why? Answer the damn question.

This has been going on forever...I've even given you examples in articles.
Old 20th May 2007
  #441
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
Look, no one is disputing the definition of MAJORITY. I am asking though what reason would "THE MAJORITY" have to completely ignore and disassociate themselves from the white within a bi-racial individual that is part white and black? WHY ? If not for subliminally racist reasons, then why? Answer the damn question.

This has been going on forever...I've even given you examples in articles.
I have already but let me put it another way.

What you see as ignoring or dissociation is simply people being themselves.
Because it is important to you doesn't mean that it is important to them- same as you don't care about what matters personally to them.
That isn't racism.
That is people just being typically self interested, which is no bad thing as long as it doesn't involve stepping on others.

I don't ever think about someones colour because it simply doesn't matter to me.
I of course are aware they are of a different origin or colour but that doesn't have any real significance other than being ... er... there.

This doesn't make me a racist.

And let's deal with subliminal racism while we are at it.
It really sounds to me that you are using 'subliminal racism' as a way to prove to yourself that white people are bad people.
If they aren't obviously racist then they are subliminally racist- they don't even know it, but man they are racist.
QED.

Really- I don't want to talk about this further- I assume you'll reply and refute this- which I could reply to again... blah blah blah- it isn't getting either of us anywhere so let's just drop it, shall we?
Old 20th May 2007
  #442
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I have already but let me put it another way.

What you see as ignoring or dissociation is simply people being themselves.
Because it is important to you doesn't mean that it is important to them- same as you don't care about what matters personally to them.
That isn't racism.
That is people just being typically self interested, which is no bad thing as long as it doesn't involve stepping on others.

I don't ever think about someones colour because it simply doesn't matter to me.
I of course are aware they are of a different origin or colour but that doesn't have any real significance other than being ... er... there.

This doesn't make me a racist.

And let's deal with subliminal racism while we are at it.
It really sounds to me that you are using 'subliminal racism' as a way to prove to yourself that white people are bad people.
If they aren't obviously racist then they are subliminally racist- they don't even know it, but man they are racist.
QED.

Really- I don't want to talk about this further- I assume you'll reply and refute this- which I could reply to again... blah blah blah- it isn't getting either of us anywhere so let's just drop it, shall we?
Oh we definitely can drop it. But I will add this and be done. People just being themselves is not an excuse for their habits. People do things for reasons. To just chaulk it up to them not considering it important is another way of dismissing the possibility. A possibility that also has history to support such a claim. If it was so easy to dismiss actions, whether they be bad or good, to just people being themselves, then why have police, judges, and juries? Why can't someone with a horrible upbringing rob and shoot a person and use the same excuse? "Oh, he's just being himself." The point is: it's the mother of all copouts.

You not thinking about someone's color doesn't dismiss what that person's racial makeup is also. In our world, there are times when race must be recognized whether we choose to point it out ourselves or not...i.e. medical records, identification, criminal records, etc. But in cases where we are recognizing an individual's racial makeup through casual conversation or by way of some form of media, there is ALWAYS a reason why someone would NOT identify an individual as something other than what he/she really is...especially when it's obvious or when a person's already been informed of that individual's racial makeup.

Just as there is a reason why I would call a man a woman and vica versa.

This reason is what I am getting to.

Why would something as NATIONAL as an article on a presidential candidate automatically note him as a black man when in fact he is bi-racial? Why not a white man? Hell, why not call him exactly as he is? Hell, why not call him a woman while we are f*cking up identities? And as you've already said "the majority" calls the shots, so we know where the labels are born.

There is a reason for the exclusion.

You call it not racist. I call it history.

If it's walked like a duck and quack like a duck...then history shows me it's still a f*cking duck.
Old 20th May 2007
  #443
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
If it was so easy to dismiss actions, whether they be bad or good, to just people being themselves, then why have police, judges, and juries? Why can't someone with a horrible upbringing rob and shoot a person and use the same excuse? "Oh, he's just being himself." The point is: it's the mother of all copouts.

Why would something as NATIONAL as an article on a presidential candidate automatically note him as a black man when in fact he is bi-racial? Why not a white man? And as you've already said "the majority" calls the shots, so we know where the labels are born.
Because to a white person- the majority- he isn't white. He's part of the minority of non-whites.
That isn't a bad thing- it just is.

You cannot extrapolate people being themselves in that manner- that is a pretty unfair way to argue.
We are talking about no action either way in your favour versus killing someone or actively being racist.

One is inaction (or lack of thought) the other action or harmful thought.
I'm not defending the majority- I just don't blame them for being self interested.
You're just blaming and hating, dude.
So be it.

Anyway- I'm sick of the conflict here so I'm (really) done now.
Old 20th May 2007
  #444
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Because to a white person- the majority- he isn't white. He's part of the minority of non-whites.
That isn't a bad thing- it just is.


.
Wow that was a pretty pathetic response.

If you don't see the problem in this, then you will fit right in... in this country.

I need not welcome you here then. You're already right at home.

Sad.
Old 20th May 2007
  #445
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Again... I'm not part of the majority- I'm a foreigner.
The fact is I understand their side of it as well rather than just automatically hating and accusing people.

As far as calling me a racist- which you basically just did- go f*ck yourself.
dfegad
Old 20th May 2007
  #446
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Well, mr. ass, I thought this was more about Jordin, haven't seen too many labels. Obama? Woods? Hell, I think they refer to themselves as black. And so what?

You are just getting annoying. We were talking about American Idol, and YOU turned it into who's white and who's black. Perhaps other people (if you could think outside of your box for just a minute), are thinking about their color far less than you?

Somebody said "people would be judged, not by the color of their skin, but the content of their character."

Try it sometime.
I'm not going to run down how this discussion steared in this direction, AGAIN. I'll just say that Soultrane opened the can of worms and I am just finishing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
75 percent of the american idol final 4 finalists are black?

in racist amerikkka?

how can this be, big 3rd?

it can't be because they're better, you said yourself jordin is weak...

You also dipped your ass into the conversation and now continue to ride on these copout responses that doesn't address the issue.
Old 20th May 2007
  #447
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
I'm not going to run down how this discussion steared in this direction, AGAIN. I'll just say that Soultrane opened the can of worms and I am just finishing it.
hey big 3rd... i just told my girlfriend from mauritania about you... her skin is midnight blue...

since your family has been in america for over a hundred years now, she thinks you're too white.

but what i really want to know is, if jordin wins, is it because white america voted for the white part of her?

or, if she loses, will it be because white america voted AGAINST the black part of her?

oh and by the way, when i posted my statement about 3 out of 4 being black, i see i wasn't up to the level of sociological and racial precision and accuracy you require...

so let's say out of the 8 parents that made up the final 4, 5 of them were black... which is STILL close to 6 times the national average...
Old 21st May 2007
  #448
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
hey big 3rd... i just told my girlfriend from mauritania about you... her skin is midnight blue...

since your family has been in america for over a hundred years now, she thinks you're too white.

but what i really want to know is, if jordin wins, is it because white america voted for the white part of her?

or, if she loses, will it be because white america voted AGAINST the black part of her?

oh and by the way, when i posted my statement about 3 out of 4 being black, i see i wasn't up to the level of sociological and racial precision and accuracy you require...

so let's say out of the 8 parents that made up the final 4, 5 of them were black... which is STILL close to 6 times the national average...
You're an idiot.
Old 21st May 2007
  #449
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
You're an idiot.
haha you found me out...

but let me ask you this question...

are you actually going to buy melinda's record, knowing, as we both do, it's going to be an oleta adams contemporary gospel record dripping with yamaha type crystal piano sounds?

as for jordin, if she wins, we all know what her album will sound like and who will make it.

about the only guy i'd be remotely interested in even checking out is blake... maybe he will do something a bit out of the norm...

maybe.
Old 22nd May 2007
  #450
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
haha you found me out...

but let me ask you this question...

are you actually going to buy melinda's record, knowing, as we both do, it's going to be an oleta adams contemporary gospel record dripping with yamaha type crystal piano sounds?

as for jordin, if she wins, we all know what her album will sound like and who will make it.

about the only guy i'd be remotely interested in even checking out is blake... maybe he will do something a bit out of the norm...

maybe.
The only thing that would deter me from being interested in Melinda's projects would be gospel and who was producing it. I'm not a big fan of gospel music and if the producer just throw her some typical music, then it will sound like all the rest. I'm looking to see her voice on some very nice unique projects, not the typical ****. Paris Bennett IMO should have won it last season but her album was ****ty. It did nothing for her true talents.

I actually think Blake could put a nice album together. He's got that Maroon 5 type thing going for him, which translates into good songs...not great singing. So I would agree with you...only if he gets a great production behind him and great songs.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump