The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
American Idol, anyone?
Old 28th April 2007
  #361
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Phil was ok on country, that seems to be his thing. But NO WAY is he the best singer in this group. Not even close. In fact I would say he is in the bottom two with mr. wannabee.
Phil IS the best of the male singers. I think Blake is highly overrated and the other cat, ....what's his name again? LOL
Old 29th April 2007
  #362
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
Phil IS the best of the male singers. I think Blake is highly overrated and the other cat, ....what's his name again? LOL
I find there's something smarmy about Phil. He preens and panders. Off of the Idol stage, I don't think his stock would be as high. I also agree that Blake is overrated. The other cat's name is something like JustLike Timberlake ....

Yesterday I happened to listen to an Ella Fiztgerald recording after I made the comment above. I was thinking, if Ella were a contestant on Idol, would people here make the same comment: "There are 50 backup singers just like her in LA..."

All the contestants have their pros and cons for pop viability, but Melinda is in another league. I don't think she's like just another LA-quality backup singer. She is a *great* singer.
Old 29th April 2007
  #363
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMattMatt View Post
Yesterday I happened to listen to an Ella Fiztgerald recording after I made the comment above. I was thinking, if Ella were a contestant on Idol, would people here make the same comment: "There are 50 backup singers just like her in LA..."

All the contestants have their pros and cons for pop viability, but Melinda is in another league. I don't think she's like just another LA-quality backup singer. She is a *great* singer.
Yeah man, I just don't understand people. Of course you're going to hear folks that are great singers also, especially if you eat, sleep, and **** music. But that doesn't cancel out the fact that Melinda is a great singer.

Meanwhile, people will make excuses for the inferior talent. It's really a sad time for music.
Old 30th April 2007
  #364
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMattMatt View Post

Yesterday I happened to listen to an Ella Fiztgerald recording after I made the comment above. I was thinking, if Ella were a contestant on Idol, would people here make the same comment: "There are 50 backup singers just like her in LA..."

All the contestants have their pros and cons for pop viability, but Melinda is in another league. I don't think she's like just another LA-quality backup singer. She is a *great* singer.
hahaha no no NO way could anyone w. ears mistake ella for a background singer... (btw, this is not to discount the background singers... i mean, kenya from the a.i. band had a pretty solid music teacher... a cat named hathaway!!!)

first of all, ella could hold a master class in music, not just with the singers, but with every musician in the band.

second, on those pop records you hear of her, say, ella w. nelson riddle and the like, she is doing about 1/10th of what she can do vocally.

third, she was an "improvising" musician. i wonder which modern famous singer, if any of them, can actually improvise... i'm pretty sure none of the idolists improvise.

and improvise doesn't mean doing one of those pseudo bluesy monica/aguilera runs at the end of a word...

melinda may be a good graduate student.... but ella is honorary emeritus professor of singing!!!

who can compare with this genius?

YouTube - Ella Fitzgerald : One note Samba (scat singing) 1969

or this, after 50 yrs in show biz gigging nightly as a pro singer???!!!???

YouTube - Ella and Count Basie on special 1979
Old 30th April 2007
  #365
Lives for gear
 
Tony Shepperd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
Meanwhile, people will make excuses for the inferior talent. It's really a sad time for music.
Just to clarify, are you inferring that Jordin is inferior?
Old 30th April 2007
  #366
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Just to clarify, are you inferring that Jordin is inferior?
HELL YEAH!!!
Old 30th April 2007
  #367
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
hahaha no no NO way could anyone w. ears mistake ella for a background singer... (btw, this is not to discount the background singers... i mean, kenya from the a.i. band had a pretty solid music teacher... a cat named hathaway!!!)
Great teachers have a variety of students from great to not-so-great. That doesn't mean much to me. Kenya is terrific in and of herself - that's what's important!

As for overlooking talent based on context, are you familiar with the recent Josh Bell experiment where Josh, one of the world's top violinists played in a subway on his 3.5 million dollar strad, and no one stopped to listen? In a concert hall: $100 / ticket, standing room only. in the subway: no one recognized that this was a human who had distinguished himself among 8 billion other humans as being among the very best (top 5) in the world at what he does. The fact that he was in a sweatshirt in the subway had more powerful impact on passers-by than the fact that he was one of the best violinists in the world performing on one of the best violins in the world with flawless technique and superlative expression. Article in the Post:

Pearls Before Breakfast - washingtonpost.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post

first of all, ella could hold a master class in music, not just with the singers, but with every musician in the band.

second, on those pop records you hear of her, say, ella w. nelson riddle and the like, she is doing about 1/10th of what she can do vocally.
This gets into speculation. How do you know that Melinda isn't doing 1/10 of what she can do vocally in her Idol performances? Performances on Idol are very restricted. Contestants are limited by time, arrangements, and style ("blockbuster" to advance). Nonetheless, what I've heard of Melinda is enough for me to conclude that she is a phenomenal talent. Similarly, I listen to those Ella Fitzgerald recordings and know the same thing. I don't need to know that she can improvise, fly in the air just by spinning her arms or anything else. I also don't assume that Ella can't do anything else based on the parameters of the recordings, just like I don't make the same assumption with Melinda based on the parameters of the show. I am simply judging both on their own merits. Ella's recordings are more than enough to establish her greatness. Same with Melinda's performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
third, she was an "improvising" musician. i wonder which modern famous singer, if any of them, can actually improvise... i'm pretty sure none of the idolists improvise.
First, you don't know. Second, I don't care! Actually, that's not true. I'm in awe of Ella's improvisations. But even if Ella couldn't improvise her way out of a paper bag, it wouldn't diminish her phenomenal singing ability one bit. When I listen to an exquisite recording by Ella Fitzgerald, I don't think it's great because I know she can improvise, fly around the room by spinning her arms, or do anything else that that's not on the recording. All I care about is what I'm listening to, and what I'm listening to is exquisite. That's all I need! I don't need to put an asterisk on my listening experience and know that the singer can also do something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
melinda may be a good graduate student.... but ella is honorary emeritus professor of singing!!!
Melinda has done a few things that really had me stop and listen. I think it was two weeks ago that she did an embellishment where she jumped down and up an octave very fast in the middle of a phrase without any indication that it was an extremely virtuostic move. It was perfect, and so effortless-seeming, that the audience didn't realize what she had just pulled off. it was like watching an olympic gymnast do something supremely yet quietly virtuostic that the other gymnasts could recognize as supremely difficult, but the public might not even notice. It wasn't the easy recognition of a long loud note at the end of a song that audiences universally embrace the way kids embrace the shared "fact" that Christopher Columbus discovered America, but it was the sort of thing that would make a musician do a double-take and go "wow!!!!"

Melinda pulls off this level of virtuosity all the time, but because she's so good, and because her musical intentions rather than pyrotechnics are the driving force, you almost take her virtuosity for granted.

(compare that with Chris Justlike Timberlake who does a "run" and you get the sense that he's saying to the audience: "look, I'm doing something difficult and impressive now to impress you")

And the fact that Melinda's on Idol, on this glitzy, kitchy program, is just as powerful a mediocre-itizing context as is the subway for Josh Bell. Josh plays in the subway, people think he's a bum. Melinda sings on Idol, people think she's run of the mill.

Imagine, really, if Ella fitzgerald sang as a 29 year old contestant on American Idol. The cynisicism American Idol breeds, particularly among musicians, would generate the same kind of comments about Ella: "Yeah, she's great, but I worked with 50 other jazzy backup chicks this past year who are just like her. And too much vibrato... "

I've ranted about the shallowness of Idol before, and what a flash-in-the-pan-pimping infomercial it really is. I'm just as cynical about American Idol as anyone. But I recognize that Melinda defies every preconception I have for the show. I also think it's strange that she's on it. I almost wonder if she was a known quantity encouraged to audition as a plant, something to give the show a new twist. Who knows? All I do know is that whatever reality exists on the show (like whatever reality exists in a subway), her talent is incongruous. It goes way beyond it.
Old 30th April 2007
  #368
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
ok mattimatt... i've got your vote down...

melinda = ella.... you're in the yes column.
Old 30th April 2007
  #369
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

I think some of you are putting way too much into singing lessons. IMO...you still have to have person with a God given gift of talent to sound and perform like Melinda. You just don't have a ordinary person go to a singing teacher and the end result be a Melinda.
Old 2nd May 2007
  #370
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Bon Jovi night.

Phil actually took the show. Who'd a thunk.

Jordin was the worst. She don't know rock and roll. Where is Gena when you need her?

Chris blew chunks, too. I'd say Chris and Jordin are finished.
too bad for jordin... well, you have to be lucky, too...
Old 2nd May 2007
  #371
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Bon Jovi night.

Phil actually took the show. Who'd a thunk.

Jordin was the worst. She don't know rock and roll. Where is Gena when you need her?

Chris blew chunks, too. I'd say Chris and Jordin are finished.
I accept your apology. I dont know it all but I know all about alot.

Watch Phil.
Old 2nd May 2007
  #372
Lives for gear
 
Tony Shepperd's Avatar
Jordin did blow chunks tonight! Big Nasty Chunks!
It was like bad Karaoke!

Phil did the best performance i've seen from him.

Blake also did really good, I think he had a great rendition of the song.

But CHRIS SUCKS!

I say Lakisha and Chris are out.

Although the word on the street is Phil doesn't have enough of a "voting block" to sustain himself at this point.
And Jordin has a lot of people in her camp.

We'll know in 24 hours.
Old 2nd May 2007
  #373
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Boy, I tell you....some of you don't know **** about TALENT.


Yall raved on and on about Jordin and all it took was time and the right songs to expose her. She skated by on ballads for several weeks and all of you fell for her pretty face and the glimmer in her eye. All that didn't mean a mound of **** when she had to perform on an ENTIRE stage with songs that demanded more than sitting still and holding a technical note. This is where true talent takes over. Parris Bennet was younger than her, had more talent because of this reason...and probably should've won last year.

When reading your posts in regards to this weeks performance...it is amazing to me how little mention Dolittle gets, especially considering how solid she's been since auditions. But it occured to me that many of you, some who are instrumental cogs of this music industry, have let TALENT be "the extras" and what should be "the extras" have become the meat and potatoes, the focus of your attention...and it's sad. It also explains why the stock and demand for talent has plummetted from the public....because it has plummetted at the very beginning stages of the selection and elimination processes of the industry. If A&Rs, major labels, producers, engineers, and writers can't PICK talent...how the hell do we expect the public to recognize it, especially when the "experts" and the "creators'" don't know what the f*ck they are doing?

I don't feel the need to name names...but you know who you are.
Old 2nd May 2007
  #374
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
You never seen me raving about Jordin. And as talented as I think Melinda is, she doesn't have anything to reach out and grab me. She is very forgettable to me.

I was thinking she had this Tina Turner thing going tonight before the judges ever mentioned it. But then I immediately started thinking of Tina Turner and started forgetting about Melinda.
Ok....so what grabs you? See I think a lot of what you are seeing is her performing things that she would normally never perform because it isn't her genre of passion. She's a great performer and singer regardless of what she sings but you can't expect her to give you a true country or rock feel if this isn't her expertise. This is the case with anyone. But unlike the others, she can still work it out and make it sound good, maybe not all that authentic....but good. The others are much more limited.

But give her a soul classic or anything that is notoriously soulful and watch her blow socks off.

But I understand where you are coming from...on one sense....but on the other, I'm like.....uhhhh....look at her competition. If she doesn't grab you out of this group, who the hell does?
Old 2nd May 2007
  #375
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
Boy, I tell you....some of you don't know **** about TALENT.


Yall raved on and on about Jordin and all it took was time and the right songs to expose her. She skated by on ballads for several weeks and all of you fell for her pretty face and the glimmer in her eye. All that didn't mean a mound of **** when she had to perform on an ENTIRE stage with songs that demanded more than sitting still and holding a technical note. This is where true talent takes over. Parris Bennet was younger than her, had more talent because of this reason...and probably should've won last year.

When reading your posts in regards to this weeks performance...it is amazing to me how little mention Dolittle gets, especially considering how solid she's been since auditions. But it occured to me that many of you, some who are instrumental cogs of this music industry, have let TALENT be "the extras" and what should be "the extras" have become the meat and potatoes, the focus of your attention...and it's sad. It also explains why the stock and demand for talent has plummetted from the public....because it has plummetted at the very beginning stages of the selection and elimination processes of the industry. If A&Rs, major labels, producers, engineers, and writers can't PICK talent...how the hell do we expect the public to recognize it, especially when the "experts" and the "creators'" don't know what the f*ck they are doing?

I don't feel the need to name names...but you know who you are.
well, there is something called a&r...

if jordin and lakisha switched tunes last nite, lakisha could have packed her bags for sure.

jordin picked the wrong tune from the wrong genre, that's all. it doesn't diminish what she can do, it just shows what she can't do.

there are alot of musical millionaires out there i wouldn't want to hear sing bon jovi...

but i thought blake was the best, which was good because the last 2 weeks he was fading...

phil is the golden state warriors of the american idol. amazing that he's doing as well as he is, but i don't see him going all the way.

(if he does, can we take bets on the over/under when phil dumps his wife and marries a hollywood hottie?)

and finally, all this talk above about ella... go ahead and listen to all the singers last night again... even melinda.

with a true artist like ella, the thought of her singing a note off pitch doesn't even come into question. you listen to her records, her pop records, even, and then realize there are no punches and no pitch correction... she really is that perfect.

but EVERY singer last night had pitch problems, including melinda... go listen to it.... when she gets into the prechorus... the b.vox girls are in tune, and she gets in tune pretty quickly, but still, she is out of tune when it starts.

a minor thing, but still...

if melinda wins and actually has a top l.p, i will feel bad for oleta adams, anita baker, brenda russell, patrice rushen, seidah garrett, and all those other dues paying giants still out there recording...
Old 2nd May 2007
  #376
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdiggy View Post
Watch Phil.
There are 2 realities on American Idol: who does well on the show, and who does well in real life.

Phil is the type of singer who does well on the show but would not do well in real life. He doesn't come across like an "artist," he comes across like a kid playing make believe or worse, a smarmy politician. After every performance, for example, he launches a carefully staged comment about his daughter or wife or whatever heartstring he is using that week to harvest more votes.

Compare that with Chris Dougherty who glowered after he performed and was who he was.

If Phil were a cake, he'd be all icing. And gross icing from a can.

I think Phil would be good in a musical, but not as a recording artist.
Old 2nd May 2007
  #377
Lives for gear
 
Tony Shepperd's Avatar
We will know in less than 12 hours, however...

According to DialIdol.com - Measuring the busy signal. which monitors voting and checks for busy signals (they were right most of the time last season), they say
Chris and Lakisha are probably going home. They also say Phil and Melinda are in danger of going home.
Old 2nd May 2007
  #378
Gear Maniac
 

Blakes performance was badass.

Lakisha and Phil go bye bye tonight.
Old 3rd May 2007
  #379
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMattMatt View Post
There are 2 realities on American Idol: who does well on the show, and who does well in real life.

Phil is the type of singer who does well on the show but would not do well in real life. He doesn't come across like an "artist," he comes across like a kid playing make believe or worse, a smarmy politician. After every performance, for example, he launches a carefully staged comment about his daughter or wife or whatever heartstring he is using that week to harvest more votes.

Compare that with Chris Dougherty who glowered after he performed and was who he was.

If Phil were a cake, he'd be all icing. And gross icing from a can.

I think Phil would be good in a musical, but not as a recording artist.
I stand corrected Mat... you were obviously Right although I felt you overstated your point a bit. Phil is going to do big things IMHO. Good job on the pick though. Hey do you go to the track any?
Old 3rd May 2007
  #380
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
75 percent of the american idol final 4 finalists are black?

in racist amerikkka?

how can this be, big 3rd?

it can't be because they're better, you said yourself jordin is weak...
Old 3rd May 2007
  #381
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
75 percent of the american idol final 4 finalists are black?

in racist amerikkka?

how can this be, big 3rd?

it can't be because they're better, you said yourself jordin is weak...
No, get it right.

I said Jordin is WEAKER than Melinda but she should definitely be up there.

Secondly dude, let it go. This year's competition is extremely weak....so America had no other choice but to vote for the obvious. But I stand firm on what I said before...had the competition been a little better, Lakisha would be gone TODAY. Trust me, they will hold on to Blake for as long as they can, even though he's just a "good" one trick pony who's one trick is getting boring IMO. Remember, I said that a majority of the top 24 should probably be black. And I still feel this way.
Remember, the producers and judges dictates the options America will vote for. There are a countless number of talented individuals that belong on that show that AREN'T there for "VARIOUS" reasons.
Old 3rd May 2007
  #382
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
There are a countless number of talented individuals that belong on that show that AREN'T there for "VARIOUS" reasons.
So true. I'm producing a project with a girl who can sing her face off, yet she was rejected by the AI producers last year when she auditioned. Apparently they had already filled their "talented" quota but still needed to fill their "freakshow" quota.
Old 3rd May 2007
  #383
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
No, get it right.

America had no other choice but to vote for the obvious.

Remember, I said that a majority of the top 24 should probably be black.
well, if you don't think that bald phil outsang jordin by about 20 miles this week, you must be deaf.

if the country was so racist, like you think it is, i.e., all white people are snakes, they wouldn't vote for a black person if they sang like pavoratti, and they would never vote off a white person even if they sang like... er, me.

there is no way, based on singing alone, its "obvious" that jordin should be there and phil should be gone, on the strength of this week's performance.

but the amazing thing about this show is it gives an insight into the mind of a racist who thinks all white people are snakes, ie, you.

you think blacks are naturally better at music, which, is in itself, racist.

you think the show should have mostly black people on it, which it does, to the tune of 75%.

so, amerikkka has given you everything you want.

still, the presence of the lone white boy, plus the fact that there are only 3 blacks out of 4, instead of, say, 5 blacks out of 4, confirms for you that amerikkka is racist.

you're the type of guy that if a white man came up and handed you a hundred dollar bill out of the blue, you'd think he was racist for not give you $200.

amazing.
Old 3rd May 2007
  #384
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
well, if you don't think that bald phil outsang jordin by about 20 miles this week, you must be deaf.

if the country was so racist, like you think it is, i.e., all white people are snakes, they wouldn't vote for a black person if they sang like pavoratti, and they would never vote off a white person even if they sang like... er, me.

there is no way, based on singing alone, its "obvious" that jordin should be there and phil should be gone, on the strength of this week's performance.

but the amazing thing about this show is it gives an insight into the mind of a racist who thinks all white people are snakes, ie, you.

you think blacks are naturally better at music, which, is in itself, racist.

you think the show should have mostly black people on it, which it does, to the tune of 75%.

so, amerikkka has given you everything you want.

still, the presence of the lone white boy, plus the fact that there are only 3 blacks out of 4, instead of, say, 5 blacks out of 4, confirms for you that amerikkka is racist.

you're the type of guy that if a white man came up and handed you a hundred dollar bill out of the blue, you'd think he was racist for not give you $200.

amazing.
Dude, I am in no way, shape or form going to say that America IS NOT a racist country. Maybe you feel that because a couple blacks slip through the cracks that everything is just peachy and racist free. You are a blind man...one that likes to look for the EXCEPTION to the rule, make it a GENERAL rule, and want f*cking nobel peace prize for what SHOULD be going on in the first place. In your pee brain, just because you walk into a company and see two black people working there...out of 50, you'd say the company was DIVERSE. This DOES give me insight on how you think. You obviously feel that blacks or minorities should have MINIMAL opportunity because of how you wave the "No RACISM HERE" flag when ONE minority squeaks through. You're a fool and there is nothing I or anyone else can do for you to help your handicap.

I agree that Phil was a very good singer and I actually think he was the best guy there. So Chris and Blake could've left as far as I'm concerned. But I didn't hear Blake's performance either...heard it was very good but I'm not sold on that scratching bull****. It was cool for the initial audition...it got old after that IMO. I didn't hear Jordin's performance either of the weeks, but I didn't need to....I heard from a lot of people that she blew.
But all in all, I'd take Jordin over Blake because she was a better SINGER than he. I don't just consider one week...I consider the entire body of work, then make my estimation on who should go.

All I know is Melinda better be the last one standing.

As far as your last statement goes, you obviously feel that I want something for nothing, which tells me AGAIN that you feel white people are doing blacks a favor by letting a couple of us get opportunities....like we should be GRATEFUL for a token. See it's the little things you say that can tell me what's going on and what's not going on in that head of yours. You got some deep seated **** that you TRY to hide near but I see right throught that bull****.
Old 3rd May 2007
  #385
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdiggy View Post
I stand corrected Mat... you were obviously Right although I felt you overstated your point a bit. Phil is going to do big things IMHO. Good job on the pick though. Hey do you go to the track any?
Nah, I stick to music!

Aside from Phil's voice, which we may disagree about, he had a knack for pandering - sucking up to the audience to get props beyond the merrits of his actual performance. And that, I suppose is what moved me to "overstate my point."

I noticed that after each performance, he had some message to deliver, something about "I'm doing this for my daughter," or "Oh I love my wife so much" or something to that effect. It got to the point where it was obviously contrived and therefore annoying. He was so consistent in pumping up his stock with things that had nothing to do with singing, that I was cynical last night watching shots of his family surrounded by military in uniform. I'm sure they're his friends, I'm sure he loves his wife and daughter, but I get the sense of smarmy exploitation of every little heartstring he can pull, and he pulled every little heartstring he could get his hands on, week after week.

Today in the Wash Post, there was a funny blurb about him describing the same thing:

"Also gone is Phil Stacey, from whom we learned that sucking up to the "Idol" audience with an "I love you!" shout-out at the end of each performance is not a wasted effort. If only he hadn't waited to play his "my dad is a pastor" card, about how he'd been forbidden to listen to rock music as a kid and had to secretly practice Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory." Chicks love that stuff. Too late!"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...050202678.html

Putting all that aside, I just never got the sense that he would be a viable recording artist. I think I'm right about that but hey, like everyone's best guess, it's just IMHO.

-matt
Old 3rd May 2007
  #386
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
there is no way, based on singing alone, its "obvious" that jordin should be there and phil should be gone, on the strength of this week's performance.
True that.

However, I think this is where the show gets it right.

The voting was so big - 130 million votes - that it was able to transcend vagaries, and get it right.

Phil's performance on BJ night was world's better than Jordin's. Phil has been practicing that song in front of the mirror ever since he was a young pup. However, the audience was voting on who was a better singer, whose album they would rather buy, not who has been prancing in front of the mirror singing Bon Jovi songs into a comb.

Jordin has been (and is) a stronger singer, and a more likeable personality than Phil. The audience was choosing her overall talent and personality over Phil's rather than evaluating that one performance.

In a wierd way, it's almost admirable when a recording artist cannot mimic an inappropriate style for them. I've heard this several times from big artists who are master's of their style, but suck in other styles. Compare that with less interesting jack of all trades, masters of none.

And after Jordin flopped on BJ night, she remained humble, essentially saying "I know I sucked, I understand if you vote me off." The audience responded by saying "we realize that even though you sucked tonight, you are better than Phil."
Old 3rd May 2007
  #387
Lives for gear
 
Tony Shepperd's Avatar
But this is not America's Best Singer. This is American Idol.
And what makes someone an Idol, is not just about them being a good singer.

Can they perform?
Do they have a report with the audience?
Are they just a voice on stage and not working the room?

I can't speak for the former music magnet cities in the North, but in LA it's not just about the voice.
But I can tell you that the word of mouth in LA is that J Records is nervous about who will win.
If Melinda wins, they might have another Ruben Studdard, "what do we do with him" on their hands.
Old 3rd May 2007
  #388
Lives for gear
 
Big 3rd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
But this is not America's Best Singer. This is American Idol.
And what makes someone an Idol, is not just about them being a good singer.

Can they perform?
Do they have a report with the audience?
Are they just a voice on stage and not working the room?

I can't speak for the former music magnet cities in the North, but in LA it's not just about the voice.
But I can tell you that the word of mouth in LA is that J Records is nervous about who will win.
If Melinda wins, they might have another Ruben Studdard, "what do we do with him" on their hands.
Melinda can perform and sing well. Does she have the best personality? Probably not. But looking at only four people now, I'd put my million (if I had it) on Melinda because there has to be demand for talent FIRST. The others do not have enough looks, personality, and whatever other bull**** that "the industry" considers important...to make it worth overlooking their lack of singing and performing talent. Blake is a one trick pony that can sing just OK and his performance is just pretty good not great. So he definitely won't last long in the public's eye IMO. Jordin is pretty and can sing very good on certain things but NOT ALL THE TIME...and she can't perform worth a ****. Lakisha can sing very good but can't perform and she isn't that visually appealing.

And Melinda can sing AND perform ANYTHING VERY WELL EVERYTIME, has a decent personality but doesn't look phenominal.

WTF?

Why is this so obvious to me...and me only?

I've been reading blogs of people saying how well Melinda can sing but she "needs to go because she always looks surprised when someone gives her compliments and it irritates me. She'll probably get a deal anyway."

ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME?

How shallow has the people of this country become?

****!!!
Old 3rd May 2007
  #389
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
But this is not America's Best Singer. This is American Idol.
And what makes someone an Idol, is not just about them being a good singer.

Can they perform?
Do they have a report with the audience?
Are they just a voice on stage and not working the room?

I can't speak for the former music magnet cities in the North, but in LA it's not just about the voice.
But I can tell you that the word of mouth in LA is that J Records is nervous about who will win.
If Melinda wins, they might have another Ruben Studdard, "what do we do with him" on their hands.
I heard Ruben sing live. not a pretty sight. In a way, Ruben was that year's Sanjaya. They voted for him somewhat out of sympathy, this big loveable fat guy, like a flawed pet you love despite the flaw.

Melinda is not a flawed pet - she's a phenomenal talent. Granted, she's not Madonna at 20 in terms of pop marketability, but she's no Ruben Studdard either, and she could easily generate a great deal of sales and money. If Idol producers are wondering what they can do with her, I'd be glad to take that problem off their hands.

It also doesn't really matter anymore who wins. The show owns contracts with losers too, doesn't it? So as in the case with Ruben, if worse comes to worse, they can always put out a Clay Aiken Christmas Album (i.e. pimp the #2 spot if #1 tanks). But Melinda won't tank; the public is too hungry for real talent.

Frankly, whoever wins, I think Melinda and Jordin will both have successful albums. Whether Blake or Chris can compete against the real deals in their particular niches is another story.
Old 4th May 2007
  #390
Lives for gear
 
soultrane's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
Dude, I am in no way, shape or form going to say that America IS NOT a racist country.
shocking.

good thing i've got some baby asprin nearby...

news as startling as this might start my heart palpatating...

(btw, thanks for proving the point i was trying to make with my hypothetical... i.e,, not only is a white man giving you a $100 bill racist, but anyone suggesting that a white man give you a $100 bill is racist, too!!!)

ps, unlike 3rd, i will take all $100 bills from all races, and i will not consider you racists...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump