The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When education is free...
Old 24th October 2015
Gear Guru

When education is free...

… sometimes you get what you pay for. Like in my hometown, a nice place to be from.
Attached Thumbnails
When education is free...-autistic-guitar.jpg  
Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

That's what you get when you vaccinate guitars wantonly...

Last edited by 12tone; 24th October 2015 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: wrong word!
Old 27th October 2018
Gear Guru

I love seeing "spam decimated." Ker-blooey!
Old 27th October 2018
Holy heck...is everything ok now? That was quite the purge.

I'm looking at you Brent Hahn. I only had about 13 posts scrubbed...you had about 400

Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

If free college is allowed, it will be more worthless than it already is. Trades are the key. I have a college degree and several trade licenses. I can make more on a weekend day than I can make in a week. I need my college degree for my full time job with benefits. I could EASILY do without it. I like working there, I enjoy what I do.
Old 5th November 2018
I have no idea what Brent was originally posting about but I have to say that I have, through my whole life, tried to take advantage of free and cheap education; I spent a lot of time at the library as a kid, often rode my bicycle way across town to visit the main library where the electronics and audio books mostly were. I went to a then-quite inexpensive state university and got a very well-rounded general education. Later I studied recording/commercial music production at a community college. And, as soon as I got my first modem in 1987, I was often online. When the WWW started coming together over the Internet starting 5-7 years later, I prowled the ever-growing web as more and more information from the existing print world made its way online.

Education and information is like any other acquisition: caveat emptor. Let the 'buyer' beware. Even if the purchase price is 'only' your time and mind space... Ultimately the cost of bad information and the cockeyed world view it fosters could be a life wasted. Or worse.

I went to two public school districts as a kid. One was progressive (though politically conservative; it was the Eisenhower era, many political conservatives still embraced science and logic); one was all about sports (it was also conservative -- in fact, it was only a couple decades ago that they tried to ban all nonacademic clubs rather than allow a 'gay-straight friendship' club) and, while there were a small handful of dedicated teachers there for their own reasons, mostly the school was a black hole of nescience and willful ignorance). So I learned, early on, to be my own intellectual gatekeeper.

Free education can be great -- but you have to use your head.
Old 5th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I spent a lot of time at the library as a kid
I went to public libraries religiously as a kid. I'd bring along shopping bags that I'd fill to the brim whenever I went.

As I got more serious about music, it became an invaluable repository of records, sheet music, music books and magazines. I honestly don't think I'd be the same person without those resources.

Regarding the OP, I believe education should be free. It doesn't mean Stanford, Yale or Harvard should be (though they should allow a fair number of full scholarships to those in economic classes where it's cost prohibitive), but there should be in every community, free public education starting with pre-K all the way to community colleges, even free trade schools.

What'll it take? Maybe tax the 1% a bit more? Maybe decrease the defense budget by 10%? We have the means, but not the gumption.

It's a blight on any society where education is not valued as the most important thing for every member of that society. America in that sense is somewhat ugly...
Old 5th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I have no idea what Brent was originally posting about...
It was just a dumb joke about how some cracker in my hometown -- good chance he went to my high school -- misspelled "acoustic" so badly that it autocorrected to "autistic." And he didn't notice.

Actually, if you just generally scan the Springfield, Illinois CL ads, you might think the whole damn town is illiterate. But that's got to include the ones that went to Catholic school, too.
Old 6th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I went to public libraries religiously as a kid. I'd bring along shopping bags that I'd fill to the brim whenever I went.

As I got more serious about music, it became an invaluable repository of records, sheet music, music books and magazines. I honestly don't think I'd be the same person without those resources.

Regarding the OP, I believe education should be free. It doesn't mean Stanford, Yale or Harvard should be (though they should allow a fair number of full scholarships to those in economic classes where it's cost prohibitive), but there should be in every community, free public education starting with pre-K all the way to community colleges, even free trade schools.

What'll it take? Maybe tax the 1% a bit more? Maybe decrease the defense budget by 10%? We have the means, but not the gumption.

It's a blight on any society where education is not valued as the most important thing for every member of that society. America in that sense is somewhat ugly...
We're sabotaging ourselves by shortchanging our society's children.
Old 6th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
It was just a dumb joke about how some cracker in my hometown -- good chance he went to my high school -- misspelled "acoustic" so badly that it autocorrected to "autistic." And he didn't notice.

Actually, if you just generally scan the Springfield, Illinois CL ads, you might think the whole damn town is illiterate. But that's got to include the ones that went to Catholic school, too.

When I wonder how people get so stupid, I think about some of my experiences in the bad school district I passed through, and then it all seems a lot more... explicable.

The funny thing: both the districts I attended were clearly run by politically conservative people. This was OC, CA, in the 1950s and 60s when the John Birch Society was big. It was a very conservative milieu. Anything else would have been almost unimaginable.

But one group of conservatives actually thought education was important and that the ways we educate children should be pushed forward. And the other group basically cared about championships and sports.

I was shocked when I got to college and compared notes on high school with students from other districts.

No doubt there were plenty like the upper middle class suburban district I attended half of middle school and all of high school in. (Amusingly, it was also was discovered to be a center of corruption, at one point 6 of the 7 school board members were indicted; only one was found innocent.)

But at least some districts around Southern California back then were giving their student's decent and even fairly rich educational opportunities -- and I found the contrasts kind of stunning.

(I was particularly impressed with the students I met from the local district in the city where I've lived most of the time since college. A big, urban, economically challenged district, the Long Beach district tended to turn out not just well-informed and prepared college prep kids but also seemed to do a pretty good job with their non college-track kids. I've known more than a couple products of the local district who were impressive autodidacts, becoming well-rounded and well-informed individuals 'on their own.' One that comes to mind was actually the product of the district's 'continuation' high school. One of the better informed people I know. A tireless reader. As far as I know, he's never even taken a community college course.)
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
If free college is allowed, it will be more worthless than it already is. Trades are the key. I have a college degree and several trade licenses. I can make more on a weekend day than I can make in a week. I need my college degree for my full time job with benefits. I could EASILY do without it. I like working there, I enjoy what I do.
Don't tell the students in Germany, Norway, Sweden, Austria, France, Belgium, Spain - all of which offer free (or essentially free) university to their citizens!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I don't believe any of you.

Cause, there is nothing. In a good way.

It all starts with prove it, or trust me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was just a dumb joke about how some cracker in my hometown
Wow, racial slurs are OK here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1971 View Post
I don't believe any of you.

Cause, there is nothing. In a good way.

It all starts with prove it, or trust me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Wow, racial slurs are OK here?
I take it Brent's a cracker, so it's OK for him to use it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
That post is a month old. It's grandcrackered in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That post is a month old. It's grandcrackered in.
Makes sense...like the O.G. crackers, like Ben Franklin and the lot.

And, Cracker Barrel, of course...can't PeeCee that up I'm afraid.
Old 1 week ago
You had to pay to play right from the start!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

What is 3x9, Alex.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

You cant ever refuse it. That is where school's got it wrong.

People who go to school for too long get sick with 'the spelling'.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
ahh of course, my bad.

Quote:
You cant ever refuse it. That is where school's got it wrong.

People who go to school for too long get sick with 'the spelling'.
Aaron or Tori?
Old 6 days ago
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Crackerist!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aaron or Tori?
Candy...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

There has never been anything.
What about the promises?

They wore our expectations like an armored suit, uh-huh.

A smile like the cartoon, tooth for a tooth

You said that irony was the shackles of youth

Blood in the cup, I want blood in the cup..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

And here you stand no taller than the grass sees.

wheeee this is fun
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

I thought I pegged you , an idiots dreams.

Stay Golden Pony Boy.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought I pegged you , an idiots dreams.

Stay Golden Pony Boy.
I altered it so that it's now an haiku:

I thought I pegged you
An idiot's dreams, you stay
Golden Pony Boy
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

At least we know, we don't understand each other, and never will.

So, we got that going for us.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

My Dragon Force is Stronger.

This countries education system has a lot to pay for. What the hell were they thinking?

I am gonna stick with Nil-ism. There is nothing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search