The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fast & efficient = Reaper for DAW... now what for graphic design & video editing?
Old 16th July 2015
Fast & efficient = Reaper for DAW... now what for graphic design & video editing?

Reaper is THE most fast, customizable and most efficient DAW and I've had them all.

Now I am looking into the same kind of fast software for graphics design and video editing (on Mac btw).

For graphics design, what is the 'reaper' counterpart?
Same question for video editing?
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

>>Same question for video editing?

Probably Lightworks.

Though in all honesty Adobe Premiere is rather better and the Adobe Creative Cloud is well worth it if you're doing a lot of stuff with design/images/video. And if just video work, without the rest, FCP X is decent.
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Go with Adobe. It's what most designers use. I actually prefer After Effects to Premiere, but they both cover a lot of similar ground. I do some animation from time to time and AE is better geared for that, so that's why it's my preference.
Old 16th July 2015
I use Indesign and hate Adobe's interfaces.... so alternatives are welcome
Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear

Pixelmator is a very good Photoshop replacement. I run it on a Macbook, it works well.

Pixelmator

I dislike Photoshop.
Old 18th July 2015
Lives for gear

The "most fast and efficient" DAW is the one you know the best - it's certainly not Reaper for everyone. Why would video/photo editing be any different?
Old 18th July 2015
You didn't say what platform... [EDIT -- oh, damn YES YOU DID Oh well... for darkside lurkers... all others, on about your business... ]

On Windows, Sony's Vegas is a very efficient, stable, and largely very intuitive editor. It can really milk a surprising amount of video performance out of even an older, single core machine. It works a lot like many of the popular DAW's, very drag and drop, format agnostic (that's a big one, no fussing and fuming with conversion of vid clips -- just drop them into the timeline, and timeline uses familiar editing conventions, things like overlap-crossfade, 'rolling down' from the corners of clips to fade audio and video, automation rubber bands, etc. The 'pro' version is fairly pricey -- but the consumer version is surprisingly powerful for most of the things that non-pros do. Earlier versions had lower limits on the number of video and audio tracks but that's been greatly expanded.

Here's a comparison chart for the software family -- keep in mind that academic and other discounts are available (Egghead has the top consumer package for $107 and the next package down for $61). Vegas Pro 13 Product Comparisons
Old 4th May 2020
Any further feedback?
Old 4th May 2020
Adobe Master Collection

It's subscription now but it's the best.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear