The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's Cooking? Favorite Gearslutz Recipes
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Guru

What's Cooking? Favorite Gearslutz Recipes

Fortunately, my father taught me to fend for myself at an early age, so I've become a rather creative cook.

I've have all kinds of fast easy recipes that I use on a daily basis and hope you guys will share a few of your favorites.

Today for lunch, a reduced starch, Steak and Cheese.

6" Flour Tortilla
Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
Shaved sweet Vidalia onion
Fresh deli roast beef shaved thin 1/8 pound
optional
Sliced banana peppers
Green peppers
Fresh mushroom slices

Today, I placed the tortilla in the toaster oven on the baking sheet,
with a thin layer of cheese, toast till cheese is bubbly and the tortilla is brown on the bottom.

In a small frying pan, a bit of olive oil to saute the onions, mushrooms & banana peppers till translucent or slightly browned.
Add roast beef just long enough to warm, do not over-cook.

(Alt method, put cheese on top after meat, onions and peppers are done)
( Brown tortilla right on the burner as it cools off. )

Top with anything from catsup, mayo, sour cream, sriracha sauce, A-1, what
ever you might put on a steak and cheese.

All the flavor without all the starch of a sub roll.

Takes about 15 minutes to table.

Works with sliced chicken, pork, tofu, shrimp, pastrami, pepperoni, turkey.

Enjoy!
Old 12th April 2014
Lives for gear

This one is quick and surprisingly tasty:
Courgette pasta
10-25mins
Serves 2

Pasta (wholegrain/brown is good)
70-100ml creme fraiche (not any sugary kind)
3 large courgettes
1/5 or 1/4 medium block of cheddar grated.
Garlic

Pop two mugs of pasta (I like the short tubes) in boiling water with 1 teaspoon salt and dash of oil on med to low heat. (This will finish as your courgettes are ready.)
Chop 3-4 cloves of garlic finely and on lowest heat fry in a Large pan with one tablespoon of oil.
Then start on chopping the courgettes into slices 4-6mm thick.
Once the chopping is done place them into the pan, adding an inch & half of water (about half the depth of the pile of courgettes) and salt and pepper to taste.
On highest heat cook the courgettes and stir, in 6-7 mins the water will be cooking off and they will be looking soft in the middle.
Check your pasta and drain if ready.
Stir constantly as your pan dries and gets friggin hot to prevent burning. Push uncooked looking slices to the bottom.
Your courgettes should be about done.
On low to medium heat add the pasta into the pan (or large pot if the pan is too small) stir in the cream and cheddar to taste and you are done! Enjoy!
Old 8th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Sorry to see this thread died so fast. Trying to revive this corpse. Since I love cooking. And its outcome of course^^

I'll have to mention that my cooking is only loosely based on recipes. More a matter of feel. So often I can't really give an exact amount of ingredients.
Another thing, my doc put me on low carb. Which I try to follow... with success sometime being better than other times... well, it's called low carb not no-carb, right

Fruity chicken pumpkin ragout
Cut chicken breast into small stripes. Clean pumpkin as required for its kind. I usually take hokkaido where you can eat the shell. In my meal, the amount of pumpkin was slightly more than the chicken. A matter of taste.
Cut pumpkin "meat" into dices, maybe 1/2" or so. Cut mango into small pieces.

Fry chicken in a pan. Once the surface has closed, add salt and pepper. Fry until meat just starts to get a golden/brown crust. Deglaze with dry white wine, not too much. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice. I used half a lemon on three breasts.

In parallel, put some neutral oil into a pot and fry the pumpkin carefully to get some roasting flavors on it. Add salt. Add the pan's content once the liquids have soaked into the chicken a little.

Add a good amount of orange juice, some water, the mango, and bouillon cubes as fit for the amount of food. Slowly cook until the pumpkin is good to eat.

Spice with a healthy amount of yellow curry powder, salt, pepper (sheguan pepper fits well), and chili powder. Stir in some coconut cream.

This makes a very fruity meal with an exotic touch, that can be spiced hot to taste.
Old 8th August 2016
Lives for gear

My speciality. Piece of bread. Add butter, mayonnaise, cheese and another piece of bread.
Old 8th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
My speciality. Piece of bread. Add butter, mayonnaise, cheese and another piece of bread.
Which vincent then wraps in a generous helping of tin foil so that the MSM radio waves can't corrupt its molecular structure.
Old 8th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
Which vincent then wraps in a generous helping of tin foil so that the MSM radio waves can't corrupt its molecular structure.
Must really piss you off to see all my predictions coming true, huh? Send my love to the other sleepheads.
Old 16th August 2016
Gear Addict

Shoulder of Lamb > Cover in honey and fresh chopped rosemary > Pour a can of cider over it (into a deep baking tray) cook according to normal instructions.

Pour the honey/cider/lamb juice over a sauce. Easy, tastes great.
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

Great for a summer side to go with any grilled fare:

John's Pasta Salad

Ingredients:

One box tri-color rotini
2 cucumbers
1 Big hunk fresh brocoli
1 full container of cherry or grape tomatoes
1 large or two small jars marinated artichoke hearts
1 Bunch green onions
Fresh Red/Green/Yellow/Orange Bell peppers... choose which you want in there, I buy a combo pack at Safeway that has all of them in mini form. Probably the equivalent of 2-3 large peppers go in.
1 Package or about 1/3 pound Genoa or Hard salami
1 bottle of Wishbone Robusto Italian dressing

Directions:

Cook pasta and strain, then rinse and shake until dry and cold.

Chop up everything how you like it! There are no rules. I like to chop half the tomatoes in half and leave the other half whole. Skin the cucumbers for sure and add as much chopped onion as you see fit. Slice the salami up into small chunks all at once, then pull them apart.

Throw all of this into a large mixing bowl, squirt a bunch of the dressing on there and stir.... add as you go until you get the desired amount, then add a bunch of fresh ground pepper. Cover and chill in fridge overnight ideally, then before serving splash some more dressing on there and stir again as it tends to dry up a bit.
Old 17th August 2016
Gear Nut

snack time!

popcorn
natural coconut milk/oil
fine cut garlic
sea salt + ground black/red pepper spice to taste....

much much more tasty and much much MUCH more healthy than that movie theater or microwave buttery oily processed garbage.

amazeballs............
Old 17th August 2016
The following recipe can melt women's underwear, so I might as well post it:

Chocolate Mousse

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup boiling water
5 egg yolks
3 tbsp soft butter
5 egg whites
vanilla to taste
250 ml whipping cream

-Put chocolate chips in a food processor and process until it's the consistency of very small chunks.
-Add boiling water and continue to process
-Add egg yolks one at a time and continue to process, scraping sides of bowl
-Add butter and vanilla. Continue to process until smooth.

Put this mixture in a large mixing bowl.

Separately, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Whisk into chocolate mixture.

Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Whisk into chocolate/egg white mixture. Pour into serving bowl and chill until firm.

Find woman whose underwear you want to melt. Serve immediately.

Great stuff! Clean-up's a biotch though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnyP View Post
3 large courgettes
I always find it interesting that the British- the home of the English language- use French terms for food so much. Aubergine is another example.
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear

Old 17th August 2016
Gear Guru

Here are three:

ZUCCANOES

Slice some medium sized zukes down the middle and hollow out the halves with a spoon.
Pre-bake the zuke halves for a while.
Sautee up a bunch of chopped veggies.......lots of fresh garlic and ginger....I like a little ground turkey with mine.
Stuff (mounded) the zuke halves and top with sharp cheddar.
Bake at 350 for another 30 minutes or so.

EGGPLANT CRISPIES

Cut the eggplant into beefy slices.
Dip them in egg and coat them with seasoned bread crumbs.
Put a pat of butter on each slice and then top with a thick slice of fresh tomato and some sharp cheddar cheese.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so.

SHOULD BE FAMOUS LIGHTER THAN AIR PANCAKES

Make your favorite pancake recipe but separate the eggs.
Whip the egg whites (not quite into a frenzy) and fold them in to the batter just before going to the griddle.
It helps to keep a net handy when flipping....just sayin'.

Old 17th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post

SHOULD BE FAMOUS LIGHTER THAN AIR PANCAKES

Make your favorite pancake recipe but separate the eggs.
Whip the egg whites (not quite into a frenzy) and fold them in to the batter just before going to the griddle.
It helps to keep a net handy when flipping....just sayin'.

Isn't that a waffle without the waffle iron?
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Isn't that a waffle without the waffle iron?
Could well be I guess.....never was much for waffles.

I always like making cakes that way....when you flip them you can watch them rise up until they're about an inch thick.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post

I always find it interesting that the British- the home of the English language- use French terms for food so much. Aubergine is another example.
I'm more puzzled by how Americans can't seem to pronounce herbs (or even the word itself) eg oregano, basil, banana*.

*(yes it is, look it up.)

Last edited by vincentvangogo; 18th August 2016 at 02:18 PM..
Old 18th August 2016
Eer-bzz (US)
Her-bzzz

Or-eee-GAHHHHH-Noww (UK)
Or-egg-in-no (US)

Bay-Zill (USA)
Baz-ill (UK)

Sill-Ann-Throw (USA)
Corr-eee-Ann-Der (UK)

Back in the old days I trained up my studio assistants to make what I childishly nicknamed a "F***ing Amazing!"

It was an espresso + hot chocolate powder..

(basically a strong Mocca)

That would keep me going for a while after dinner...

Obviously I thought it was good (hence the name)

I now eat a few squares of 92% dark chocolate after lunch and dinner every day. I often have some 99% too if I want to stay up late and work.
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm more puzzled by how Americans can't seem to pronounce herbs (or even the word itself) eg oregano, basil, banana*.

I'm just as puzzled about people from Newcastle pronouncing "cook" as if it rhymes with "spook."
Old 18th August 2016
The f word sounds like that too if they are kidding around..
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm puzzled at the the equal frequency on both sides of the pond mispronouncing turmeric.

It shouldn't be made to sound like some oncological term.
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I now eat a few squares of 92% dark chocolate after lunch and dinner every day. I often have some 99% too if I want to stay up late and work.
Dark chocolate goes in anything I make that involves a savory tomato sauce......
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Grilled Oranges

More of a recipe for the Christmas season, but I came upon it recently and just had to try it.

Cut orange in half, cut pulp out of the peel in one piece. Spice the pulp's bent side with a mix of icing sugar, cinnamon, clove, and vanilla. Put the pulp back into the peel, add a thin slice of butter on top.
Grill for about 10 minutes on high heat.

Arrange orange pulp on a white plate. Top with chopped almonds, mint, and a splash of chocolate sauce.

Enjoy!
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Marinade for grilling pork tenderloin

People ask me to bring this kind of meat to bbq parties. They dig it.

BBQ marinade in general is very easy, really. Some oil, and some kind of acid to smooth sinews. Could be vinegar, alcohol, freshly squeezed fruits (lemon, kiwi, ...). And then add some herbs to taste.
Take care with the acid that it's not too much, or the meat will fall apart. Oil mustn't be too much, the amount of the other components quite depend on how long the meat will stay within the marinade. Two hours can be enough, but then one needs to add a bunch of herbs to make the taste go into the flesh. Whereas leaving stuff in the fridge overnight, one must be careful not to add too much.

For pork tenderloin, I use some olive oil with a good shot of dry red wine, then only add a good bunch of sage leaves and some garlic cut into chunks. That's about it. Maybe a tad of freshly cut rosemary. Carefully squeeze the garlic pieces, and maybe crush the sage a little to "activate" its taste.
Since pork tenderloin isn't too big, I cut it oblique to get pieces that look like small steaks. Put it in a freezer bag with the marinade. Once zip-locked, I massage the marinade into the meat a little. Occasionally turn the bag while in the freezer.
Good olive oil will curdle when getting colder. So take the meat out of the freezer about an hour before putting it on the grill. Try not to have too much of the marinade on the meat when putting over the grill. It will burn and leave a bitter taste. If in doubt, wash the meat shortly.

Remember that pork should be prepared medium-well at least, for reason of hygiene.
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebox View Post
[B]Once zip-locked, I massage the marinade into the meat a little.
Good place to point out that the notion that you mustn't penetrate meat (and let the juices out) is nonsense. If you want get the marinade into the meat, put the marinade in a big bowl, throw in the meat, take something like a big, two-pronged fork, and stab the crap out of it. No juices will be lost.
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear
I have a couple:

1. Fast fish
Two pans.
Heat both medium high.
In one, put a tablespoon of olive oil, and they some nice white fish (I soak mine in salt water and dry first.)
In the other, three tablespoons of butter, one of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper, and one crushed clove of garlic.
At this point, you prolly need to flip that fish...
Once the sauce ingredients seem mixed, squeeze in a half a lemon worth of juice, and three tablespoons of fresh basil. (I like Thai basil)
stir that around for a minute or two.
Plate the fish, and drizzle the sauce on top.

2. Easy pulled pork
Set oven to 225
Take a nice pork butt, and cover it in Worcester sauce
Put it in a baking dish, fat side up, you can cover. foil is fine.
Pack a half cup of brown sugar on the top of it.
Pour a small can of pineapple juice in with it.
Place in over for 4-5 hours.
Pull and pull.

sauce is on you... but not required.

I can't wait to try those grilled oranges!
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

Peanut Butter Popcorn
If you pop your own popcorn, usually you melt some butter and drizzle that over it.

Instead, melt half peanut butter and half butter, and have at it. You'd think it's a big mess, but no more than normal buttered popcorn. Way good, everyone loves it. You're welcome.
Old 4th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Good place to point out that the notion that you mustn't penetrate meat (and let the juices out) is nonsense. If you want get the marinade into the meat, put the marinade in a big bowl, throw in the meat, take something like a big, two-pronged fork, and stab the crap out of it. No juices will be lost.
HE SAID JEHOVA!
The juices are not an issue, especially if the meat's marinated with oil. But I just couldn't get myself stabbing around on a good piece of meat... arrrrggghhh...

-----

Just remembered I once took a pic of that grilled orange:

Sorry, mobile phone cam in the dark...

-----

Today's dinner... turkey breast with pumpkin

Clean pumpkin as required for its kind and cut into strips. Put into a casserole. Prepare a marinade of olive oil, herbs of the Provence, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Spread over pumpkin pieces, turn them and spread on the other side as well. Put into the oven at 200° C / 390 ° F.

Roast (or grill) the turkey breast shortly on high heat from both sides. Season with salt and pepper. While it's in the pan, take the above marinade and add some white wine, honey, and cumin. Stir well.
Cut a citrus fruit in slices. I'd have preferred an orange, but they hadn't the ones with untreated skin in the shop today, so I stuck with limes.

Take the casserole out of the oven for a moment (close the lid to preserve the temperature best as possible). Roasting the meat and add to the marinade shouldn't have taken more than 5 to 10 minutes... at least, my time indications are based on that.
Make space for the meat inside the casserole, put lime slices in and put the breast on top. Spread the meat on both sides with the honey marinade. Back into the oven for 20 minutes.

(Is there also a conversion from minutes to something else for people still using Imperial units? *duck'n'run*)

Mix plain yogurt with a little olive oil, squeeze in the rest of the lime or some lemon juice, add salt and pepper. Cut garlic and a bunch of mint leaves into small pieces and add them. Mix (or stir or shake) well and let settle for the time left until food gets served.

I had a red pepper and tomato to get rid of, so I cut them and put into the frying pan after the meat was out.

After the meat has been in the oven for 20 minutes, take all the stuff out. Arrange neatly on a plate, add the yogurt dip and enjoy with a glass of cooled white wine.

Old 5th October 2016
I'm a big fan of soup. My uncle sent me this so I can make Miso soup.

Can't wait to try it out.

Old 5th October 2016
Lives for gear

OK, ill contribute:

Fry sauce: Use instead of ketchup

1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper(preferably tellicherry)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp paprika

Can use this on burgers, hot dogs, fries.............
Old 5th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
OK, ill contribute:

Fry sauce: Use instead of ketchup

1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper(preferably tellicherry)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp paprika

Can use this on burgers, hot dogs, fries.............
add relish, it's basically 1000 Island dressing...just sayin'
Old 5th October 2016
Lives for gear

What you talking about Willis?!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search