The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's Cooking? Favorite Gearslutz Recipes
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Maniac

Mulled wine

Perfect for the cold season. Wine needs to be dry, otherwise it will be heavy on the head. I prefer white, a Riesling, tastes a bit more fizzy than red.
This mix turned out great for me:
- 3 l wine
- 0.5 l orange juice
- tea bag filled with 3 cinnamon sticks, 1 vanilla husk, 2 star anise, some cloves and a few pimento balls
- one lemon cut in slices

Add sugar to taste. Don't make it too sweet. I feel brown sugar fits in better, but the difference is very subtle, really.
Remove lemon slices before they spread a bitter taste.
Alcohol boiling point is at 78° C, so make sure the temperature stays below.

Same as ever: quality makes the difference. Quality wine, quality juice. Supermarket sells mulled wine for 2 bugs a liter, whereas quality wine alone is 4 or 5 bugs a liter.
For those who like some more "rotation" in their drink, dark rum goes along well.

I like to invite some friends over, or take the stuff to Christmas parties. Can also be bottled while it's still warm and kept for some time. Don't know for how long exactly, bottles always turned empty before the stuff turned bad^^ But two to three weeks shouldn't be an issue. Also makes nice presents.

Old 7th December 2016
Gear Guru

Here's one for a quick dinner......I call it Egg Pizza.

Dice up a bold amount of fresh garlic and ginger and sautee it quickly in your favorite omelet pan with some olive oil and a bit of tamari while you are whisking a few eggs. Let it get a little crunchy.

Spread the sautee out in the pan and pour in the eggs, taking care not to disturb the sautee.

Top with cheddar cheese....or perhaps some nice smoked gouda. Sprinkle on some basil and thyme......fresh basil...mmmmmm.

Cover the pan and let it cook slowly.

Egg Pizza

Old 9th December 2016
Lives for gear

Egg Pizza. Now that's a first! Nice and easy saturday morning dish.

During this time of the year, I like tart green apples, and we get a lot. In the morning, I like to get some butter going in a non-stick.
It's probably good to add some other fat to protect the butter. Spare bacon grease is the best.

Core and slice apples into 8ths. I sprinkle sugar and a bit of flour over them, not too much, but enough that every bite has some coverage.

Get those going in the oil, don't add too many to the pan at one time, so they can actually brown rather than steam. Don't move them around too much.

Once they get browning, you may need to add more oil. This is the time to test taste one for sugar and done-ness.

If you want them saucy, if you have apple juice (or just water), make a slurry with a tiny cornstarch or flour. Add a dash of cinnamon, a tiny nutmeg, and a bit of salt and black pepper (the kicker). Add that to the pan.

I serve this over toasted English Muffin halves and with hot tea. Easy and delicious for those slow sunny saturday mornings
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Roasted Brussel Sprouts (for people who don't like brussel sprouts).

I have seen more people turned on to brussel sprouts after trying them roasted.

Ingredients:

Fresh Brussel Sprouts
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Cut each sprout into halves lengthwise from top to bottom.

Put cut sprouts in mixing bowl, add enough olive oil, salt and pepper to be able to stir them in bowl and coat them.

Place on metal baking sheet, single layer, cut side down flat on sheet.

Place on lower rack in 400° (F) preheated oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes. 10 minutes will be more al dente, 15 minutes will be softer and turn the outer leaves into a chip.

Serve and eat.
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

When I make brussel sprouts like that I usually end up snacking on them straight from the pan, until I have very little left for plating!

A little squeeze of lemon over them afterwards is also very nice.
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
When I make brussel sprouts like that I usually end up snacking on them straight from the pan, until I have very little left for plating!

A little squeeze of lemon over them afterwards is also very nice.
Me too lol. I cook mine with bacon and use the bacon fat to saute em and add salt pepper garlic and brown em. But they really never all make it to the table.
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Black eyed peas with smoked ham hock and kale. Happy New Year!
Attached Thumbnails
What's Cooking? Favorite Gearslutz Recipes-img_1741.jpg  
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Black eyed peas with smoked ham hock and kale. Happy New Year!
As I sit here hung over from way too much Brut and Peroni last night, that looks REALLY good!
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear
My New Years dinner...

Pork Grillades over Rice followed by Coconut Creme Pie and mine is the best in the universe...trust me, I am a food addict and I cook to sate the beast. :-)

Probably enough calories to feed a platoon but it sure tasted good going down ye old gullet.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Salmon recipe I love:

One part balsamic vinegar, one part Italian salad dressing, two parts water.

Two or three hunks of salmon.
Combine in cookware @ 400-425 for about 25 minutes and maybe flip once midway.

There's something special about that - what is it; the acids, the sugars, some chemistry with the fish happens that makes it taste greater than the parts would indicate
Old 5th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Salmon recipe I love:

There's something special about that - what is it; the acids, the sugars, some chemistry with the fish happens that makes it taste greater than the parts would indicate
Pictures pls.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Salmon recipe I love:

Why the water?

You could probably use that as a marinade, sans the water, and you'd get more flavor, and a nice glaze...just sayin'
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Why the water?

You could probably use that as a marinade, sans the water, and you'd get more flavor, and a nice glaze...just sayin'
Depends on how much of the fish is sticking up out of the liquid and whether there's a tight lid. AT 450º with a tight lid, the temp below the waterline will be a constant 212ºF but the vapor above the waterline will be much higher. Cutting the liquid by half could change things a lot. Maybe for the better, maybe not.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

I don't know what I'm doing so I never changed the ratio of water or anything. It works pretty good though. No salmon here at the moment or I'd take a picture, but honestly it doesn't look special. But what it lacks in looks...
Like my old neighbor in New Orleans use to say: it's so good you'll be lickin' your ass for more
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Water will only dilute the flavors.

Unless you're specifically trying to poach the salmon, as opposed to baking it, which will result in a different texture.

The balsamic/Italian dressing will work as a marinade - perhaps an hour or two in the fridge will sufficiently allow the fish to absorb it. Even if you do poach it, by marinating it beforehand you'll get more flavor, unless of course you don't want as much.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Just sub in some white wine or beer. Adds flavor and gets the same job done as the water.
Old 6th January 2017
Quote:
I don't know what I'm doing so I never changed the ratio of water or anything. It works pretty good though. No salmon here at the moment or I'd take a picture, but honestly it doesn't look special. But what it lacks in looks...
Like my old neighbor in New Orleans use to say: it's so good you'll be lickin' your ass for more
No lickin'
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

sometimes you can add too much extra flavor and take away from the actual meat or fish, thats why you use water sometimes. Water can be just a way to lighten up all the flavors you've already imparted into a dish imo.
My mom used to love this beer gravy for fried chicken and my brothers loved it! Me I just wanted the regular crunch of the fried chicken alone.
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Musician's food: will be having a piano for dinner tomorrow. Along with some sweet potatoes and coleslaw...

P.S. It's just invaluable to have a good butcher just a few steps from the door.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Cooking? Favorite Gearslutz Recipes-marinade.jpg   What's Cooking? Favorite Gearslutz Recipes-piano.jpg  
Old 8th January 2017
Gear Maniac

...and it was delicious.

Our federal environment agency recently came up with the suggestion to raise VAT on animal products, mainly meat and dairy products. 19 % is the default tax at the moment, whereas basic supplies are taxed with 7 % only. Theoretically. Looking at taxes in reality shows a wildly inconsistent picture with many outliers into both directions.

Anyway... so they want to go from 7 to 19 for meat and dairy products, to influence consumer behavior and for environment's sake. So they say.

We'll see how that turns out. At the moment, it looks like they get no support from any of the other resorts.

P.S. Though we decided that next time, ribs and corn will be sufficient: The coleslaw turned out ok, but not quite like I'd wanted. Any recipes for good, home made coleslaw marinade?
Attached Thumbnails
What's Cooking? Favorite Gearslutz Recipes-bbq.jpg  
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear
Well since this is GEARslutz- one of my all time favs is sous vide short ribs. I got a sous vide magic which is a pretty cheap way to get into sous vide cooking if you already have a crockpot.

Pretty simple really, I never seal anything in with them, no point taking away from that over the top beefy goodness. I just vacuum seal them, and put them in a 135 degree bath for 36 hours. After I salt them and put them on a rack in the fridge for an hour or 2 so they dry. I keep the fat and juices from the bag and make a roux with the fat (and flour) and the juices back for a simple pan sauce (bag sauce?). After the outside is dried up a bit I sear them in a ripping hot cast iron pan. Serve with mash potatoes, sauce on bottom.

Amazing- it's like the texture of a prime ribeye, but the punch in the face of umami-beefy goodness of a short rib.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Not a recipe, but one thing I've been doing is replacing sour cream with whole milk plain yogurt. It tastes nearly the same to me, and has about 70% less fat. I put it on baked potatoes, tamales, enchiladas, etc. and even make onion dip out of it.
Old 10th January 2017
Also not a recipe, but I was lying in bed on Saturday morning thinking about what to bake that day for the kids.......and my mom's pineapple upside down cake popped into my head. So I made it for the first time.

Super easy, old-school recipe that tastes awesome!
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Not a recipe, but one thing I've been doing is replacing sour cream with whole milk plain yogurt. It tastes nearly the same to me, and has about 70% less fat. I put it on baked potatoes, tamales, enchiladas, etc. and even make onion dip out of it.

Corn chips with salsa and yogurt dip

Just kidding Joe. I too tried substituting sour cream with yogurt, and some things work. Other things, way off!

On the other hand, home made yogurt. Is that awesome and easy to make (takes overnight on a light heater). After it's made a just little bit of jam and it's better than any flavored yogurt you'd get in a store. Chock full of potassium as well.
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
home made yogurt
How do you make that? My mom does, occasionally. And on very rare occasions, I get some to eat. Which is just the way you describe it: some jam, and oooohhh.

Don't know exactly how she does it, but I know she uses very fresh milk as long as it's still semi warm from the cows directly. (Still some small farms the area my parents live in).
What's your recipe? What kind of milk to use?
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Corn chips with salsa and yogurt dip

Just kidding Joe. I too tried substituting sour cream with yogurt, and some things work. Other things, way off!

On the other hand, home made yogurt. Is that awesome and easy to make (takes overnight on a light heater). After it's made a just little bit of jam and it's better than any flavored yogurt you'd get in a store. Chock full of potassium as well.

I forgot to mention...has to be WHOLE milk Swiss style yogurt. The low fat stuff won't cut it, and the Greek stuff is too thick.

And yeah...I'd love make my own. I suppose you need to source a live starter culture?
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

(I didn't reply with quotes because my browser is acting up)

A tablespoon of your current yogurt makes the next batch!
Yogurt
1. Heat milk to 200F
2. Cool to 110F
3. Mix your tablespoon of any yogurt thoroughly
4. Gentle heat 4 hours between 90F and 120F

I used to have a make-your-own yogurt kit and a mean relative donated it to Vinnie's It was a hot plate with six places for 1/2 pint glass cups with lids to incubate all night and other than that one other specialty item was a thermometer to make sure the milk cooled to 110F before mixing in the tablespoon of whatever yogurt you have on hand. I was amazed every time you watch skim milk turn into Dannon basically.

Taste unbelievable, drop in blueberries or homemade jam or anything like Joe says; it's not normal yogurt, and I'd love to try it with the cultures he's using.
The recipes out there over-complicate what is actually pretty simple.
Maybe I can ask the crew here if they see easier methods than mine or easier kits to buy?

* as an afterthought I wonder if a crock pot could work for the last stage? Don't overdose on yogurt though

Last edited by JoeyM; 18th January 2017 at 08:03 PM..
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
This picture provides the perfect motivation in making a great meal!

The music for that movie is like when your body realizes that you have eaten something you are allergic to...

Old 25th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Started the asparagus season yesterday. First time I had the stuff grilled. Yummy yummy!!

But what I was about to share - a fast & easy bring-along food I like to make.

Pre-heat the oven to 200° C before you start, since preparation will be so fast the oven probably won't be hot until you're finished.
Roll out puff pastry, add cream cheese and season to taste. A little bit of salt only, black pepper, hot pepper, several green herbs... whatever. Top with ham - boiled or smoked, both work great - roll in and cut into 2-3 cm snails.
Bake at 200° C for about 15-18 minutes, depending on how dark you like the stuff.

Let cool down for a few minutes and enjoy best while still warm.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Cooking? Favorite Gearslutz Recipes-20170323_202047.jpg   What's Cooking? Favorite Gearslutz Recipes-20170322_183826.jpg   What's Cooking? Favorite Gearslutz Recipes-20170322_183832.jpg   What's Cooking? Favorite Gearslutz Recipes-20170322_190701.jpg  
Old 25th March 2017
Lives for gear

My wife does all the cooking, probably why I`m a little on the cushy side. She studies recipes, and I`m the guinea pig. She makes this Mediterranean dish with the chicken and spinach, feta and spices and serves it with pitas and hummus. It`s like finger food. You grab the meat with the pita and dip it in the hummus. Along with roasted cauliflower. It`s delicious.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search