The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studing @Berklee Music College in Bosten
Old 27th January 2005
Gear interested

Question Studing @Berklee Music College in Bosten

Hi,
I intend to apply for the "12 week summer program" "jazz piano" at Berklee College in Bosten.
Any hints, experiences, tips ???

Regards,
Patrick
Old 27th January 2005
Lives for gear

For starters, take the remedial spelling course... it's "Boston"

Otherwise, just make sure you go to a Red Sox game while you're there, and have a great time.

OOH... one more thing... while you're there, take a short walk down the street to the Christian Science Churh's "Maparium" and check it out.. One of the coolest acoustical phenomena anywhere.

-dave
Old 27th January 2005
Lives for gear

You get out what you put in.

The people you meet there are more valuable than the knowledge you will gain.

Very cool Gargoyle shop on Boylston St., and the cream cheese (and bagel) at the Trident is the best.
Old 27th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
For starters, take the remedial spelling course... it's "Boston"

-dave
Its also spelled 'studying'......
Studing is a whole different thing! heh
Old 27th January 2005
Lives for gear

Hey guys that guy is from Switzerland - so he writes and reads English as bad as I do heh

Jo
Old 27th January 2005
Gear Addict

I went to Berklee for 3 years and was left with a very negative impression (why did I stay 3 years? ). The summer courses are pretty weak from what I recall (I played a studio session for one of the classes). Like a watered down overview without much detail.

Also, get ready for a rigorous application process; it consists of being able to prove that you have a heartbeat. Back when I attended there were not many capable musicians attending (but a handful of standouts) and it really slows down the learning process. Berklee has the potential to be a decent school, if they would simply screen the applicants for even basic musical knowledge. You will be shocked at how many students can't spell out chords or read music.
Old 28th January 2005
Lives for gear

like David R said, you take out what you put in. this translates to any school, any degree, anywhere. If you have the chance of going, do it. I am sure you won't regret it. Music school will make you a better player, not a better musician. I've always seen music theory as that. Some of my favorite musicians don't even read music. So think about that for a sec. But the experience at Berklee will definetly be worthwhile.
Old 3rd February 2005
Gear interested

"... Like a watered down overview without much detail...."
"... You will be shocked at how many students can't spell out chords or read music..."

Thanks for your comments.
Well, it looks as it is not worth for me to spend time and especially that amount of money at Berklee College. After 4 yrs of taking jazz piano lessons and joining the one or the other course/workshop at a Jazz School here in Switzerland, that summer program somehow doesn't look very convincing to me - especially with your comments...
As you said, you take out what you put in - but according the information from the web I'm not sure if I get out of the courses what I expect... *a 30min lesson per week on your main instrument seems to be quite a bit short. Especially, if you should practice on your instruments several hrs. a day*
Meanwhile, I'm in contact with somebody studying at Berklee (studying, cool this time I got it right ...). I'll see that I get more information... and possibly a different view...

Bummer, it would have been just the right thing for that summer… we will see, I might have to find something else..

-Patrick
Old 16th February 2005
Lives for gear

went to berklee

you do it for the contacts and the networking if you need that start

if you do it right, you should be working so much by the time you graduate that you wont have time to graduate

worked for me
Old 16th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by latweek
went to berklee

you do it for the contacts and the networking if you need that start

if you do it right, you should be working so much by the time you graduate that you wont have time to graduate

worked for me
ditto
Old 16th February 2005
Gear Addict

Personally, I would always be very suspicious of any school with a serious ad budget (Berklee, Musicians Institute, DeVry University, etc...)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek View Post
like David R said, you take out what you put in. this translates to any school, any degree, anywhere. If you have the chance of going, do it. I am sure you won't regret it. Music school will make you a better player, not a better musician. I've always seen music theory as that. Some of my favorite musicians don't even read music. So think about that for a sec. But the experience at Berklee will definetly be worthwhile.
It appears you do not know anything about schools...if you have great professors and put the effort you get the best ...

Yanks?..... weird ha!!! ... that is why the best come here.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnix333 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek View Post
It appears you do not know anything about schools...if you have great professors and put the effort you get the best ...

Yanks?..... weird ha!!! ... that is why the best come here.
You realize that you're replying to a 12 year old thread...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio-buddy View Post
Any hints, experiences, tips ???
Do not eat the slices at Little Steve's Pizza on Boylston Street unless it's an absolute last resort.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search