The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Terrible Demos/Tracks (I need a laugh !)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Terrible Demos/Tracks (I need a laugh !)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Mean thread. Some people are just hobbyists having fun.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's interesting. The playing/mix/production is rough on that first one, but the actual melody is memorable. It could be polished into a nice retro electronic track.

And that's more than can be said for 99.9% of the music made by forum members here.

Old 1 week ago
I'd like to see some of the OPs entries on their YT channel.
Compare and contrast.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not too funny. Just dudes random jamming, it seems.

Composition and arrangement are 2/3 of the job, yet very few people ever reach any kind of serious level with that. And that's cool with me as long as we have fun. pound them keys boys
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not cool.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, at the risk of "piling on," I don't like the premise of this thread.

As a sort of mental exercise, I think the OP should imagine, for a moment, that these guys have some really challenging job during the day (working with cancer survivors, teaching in an inner-city high school, etc. etc.), or that they're going through something really painful (death of a loved one, etc.), and that they find their synths a nice way to relax and release. They could be getting drunk; they could be abusing their spouses; they could be lying on the couch and watching lame TV. But they're making music instead. I doubt anyone here, in that scenario, would want to hold up the results for ridicule.

I realize I may get a "lighten up, Francis" response -- and I may even deserve it! -- but sometimes I think we should try to make the world a nicer place.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thread is a bit cruel.

That said, I must submit a video of the one and only Mark Gormley (vocals start at 1:03). Be warned, it grows on you.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
Mean thread. Some people are just hobbyists having fun.
True, but the moment you post your work, you're wide open for criticism. It reminds me of a Deadmau5 video, where he's clearly stoned out of his mind and just got some cool Eurorack modules. He decides to then make a video to demo how cool they are, and it's obvious he has no idea what he's doing. Now, have I ever bought something and blundered around with it? Guilty. Did I decide to record my fumblings and post it? Nope. That seems like a millennial thing to do. Maybe they got praised by their parents for every poop they made, but I ain't your parent and you should see the abominations that come out of my little darling. So, I got criticized for being too critical of the poor little Mau5, but f him and his fanbois. Just because you can post something, it doesn't mean you should.

I once got yelled at for criticizing a band called "The Funnest Game." They were the kids and friends of kids of some of the bigger professional musicians in my area. They sucked big time. Horrible. Like, "can't even play" sucked. Now, if I popped into their garage and started criticizing them, I'd have been a dick, for sure, but they all thought it was fine to accept a really good slot on the main stage at a big music festival. A slot that many really accomplished musicians would have loved. Nepotism won the day, and there they were. What ever hubris they and their parents had to make them think their progeny were ready to get up on stage has to be strong enough to withstand a jerk like me saying, "these kids suck." Did I suck that bad at some point? Of course, but I and people around me were smart enough to keep me inside until I had some idea of what was what.

Again, I'm not talking about taste. I dislike country music, but I'm not going to make a peep about it. That's subjective, but when something is obviously poorly done, well, you're on the internet, buttercup.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
When I read the title, I thought that the topic would be about going back and listening to your own crappy old tracks and demos. Then when I found it was just a thread to make fun of other people...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Somebody call the president...I'm literally frothing at the mouth.

Everyone gets a trophy..........EVERYONE.

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim238 View Post
Thread is a bit cruel.

That said, I must submit a video of the one and only Mark Gormley (vocals start at 1:03). Be warned, it grows on you.

This is not bad actually. He's mostly in tune, a little wild on the vibrato but that has some charm. He could use a little more inflection, dynamics, maybe a little better timing or variation on the phrasing. The song itself is catchy. The video of course is cheesy and Mark looks a little stiff but being in the studio business I've heard much MUCH worse.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post

The song itself is catchy. The video of course is cheesy and Mark looks a little stiff but being in the studio business I've heard much MUCH worse.
If this had come out during the '80s by a metal hair band, it would have been a hit.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchestrion View Post
Every so often whilst trawling through the threads someone posts a funny (as in bad funny) demo or song.

Here's a few old ones that crack me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK8A...FVJKbk&index=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_px...k&t=5s&index=8

This Star Trek one isn't bad, it's just hilarious I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkZh...FVJKbk&index=5

Lets have some fun (no offence to anyone of course, I've composed awful tracks in the past)
Awww, back when I sold synthesizers for a living those guys were my best customers. They were just having fun.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
I'd like to see some of the OPs entries on their YT channel.
Compare and contrast.

Only one video upload on YT but here it is.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search